Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

howson

anonymous again. shocking for the third goal. Johnson not up to this standard unfortunately...

I think he''s not comfortable sitting deep. I notice Fox isn''t even on the bench!

Hoolahoop gives the ball away too much, and Johnson has been poor at times too.

Another bad day at the office, another hard luck story. Simply not good enough, especially after going a goal up!

against teams of chelsea''s quality you can''t afford to have any passengers. we''ve got too many. been impressed with tettey so far though.

i understand football fine thanks. tell me what he''s done today then. how many shots? how many tackles won? how many key passes, dribbles? he''s hardly had a kick.

Played out of position. I would rather we had played Fox at the base and played Howson alongside Holt/in the Hoolahan role. Hoolahan was pants today most of the time too.

Howson isn''t a deep sitting player, and we''re ruining him/wasting a good chance by making him sit so deep.

our midfield doesn''t get forward enough to support our striker/strikers. at one point holt flicked the ball on and turned and chased his own flick. hughton has got to change this set up.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]If you can''t see that Howson is one of our bright stars today then I must question your understanding of football.[/quote]This ^

Howson is having a terrible season. Was good last year, completely anonymous this.The only things I remember him doing are a) passing backwards when he could have shot and b) completely overhitting a simple pass that went straight to the feet of a Chelsea player

Wasted early on in defensive midfield alongside Tettey allowing Chelsea so much time in fron of their back two. Much better second half and had some really good runs deep into their half but had little support. Another example of CH not playing to our strengths, Howson is a useful player but needs to be in the right position.

Howson is overrated.Hoolahan, shows glimpses of real flair but all too often "if only" lost possession type moments. His overall skill level is average at best and his defensive contribution lacklustre. He is a single footed naive player ideally suited to the lower leagues. Lets be honest he has been found out in every game he''s started this season.

He may not have been excellent - sure, he made a few mistakes (however still considerably less than Tetty who looked frighteningly lost, as if he were looking for League 1, or perhaps the lower championship), but if that''s all you saw from him then that''s all you were looking for. He retained possesion well, and made several surging runs from our own box deep into their half.Special mention for Johnson - actually looked quite handy on the left. I''m not his biggest fan, but he added steel to the left side (noticeably missing when Surman plays), and still managed to put himself about, as humorously highlighted when he floored two chelsea players in a matter of seconds and walked off with a shrug of his shoulders.  More of that please, it''s been lacking of late.

""""Orly- if you think tettey looked lost

well I am lost for words. you either know nothing about football or are a

troll."""""That seems like a entirely knee-jerk free reaction.  Dare I

suggest there are other people - who perhaps even approach the towering

zenith of your own staggering football knowledge - who also thought

Tetty looked a little dubious?Wait, that''s means I''d suggest that your opinion isn''t the only opinion in the world.I best not then.Let the "battle of the new members with post counts under 10" commence! *cue Star Trek battle music*That seems like a entirely knee-jerk free reaction.  Dare I

suggest there are other people - who perhaps even approach the towering

zenith of your own staggering football knowledge - who also thought

Tetty looked a little dubious?Wait, that''s means I''d suggest that your opinion isn''t the only opinion in the world.I best not then.Let the ''battle of the new members with post counts under 10'' commence! *cue Star Trek battle music*

I thought I''d write it twice within the same post to emphasise my point... o_0 Stupid accidental re-pasting

Sounded reyt p#ssed off when interviewed on Snorefolk after the game, as well as seemingly struggling to breathe properly.  I too believe his best position is in the hole - hate to say it but I would play one or t''other of him & Hooly.  Maybe giving them 45 minutes each match might start to give the opposition more to think about.

Howson and Tettey suggested more good than bad today ... 38 games is a long time and I can see both playing a notable part.

Hoolahan likely to figure less and less as season goes by, especially against the best sides - has always been a flat track bully; top lad, very good one footed player but ultimately not a top half of premier league player (well at least that won''t be a problem this season I suppose!)

Johnson doing ok this season but I always feel it''s exertion over enterprise with him and time will be his undoing.

I never wanted Hughton in the first place but will give him time to sort this out because after Fulham we were quality for three or four games and deserved more. We''ve always needed a) another striker b) another defensive midfielder and c) if honest, Ayala!

But ... we can still be ok. Two wins by mid November and we can get back on track.

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]Howson and Tettey suggested more good than bad today ... 38 games is a long time and I can see both playing a notable part.

Hoolahan likely to figure less and less as season goes by, especially against the best sides - has always been a flat track bully; top lad, very good one footed player but ultimately not a top half of premier league player (well at least that won''t be a problem this season I suppose!)

Johnson doing ok this season but I always feel it''s exertion over enterprise with him and time will be his undoing.

I never wanted Hughton in the first place but will give him time to sort this out because after Fulham we were quality for three or four games and deserved more. We''ve always needed a) another striker b) another defensive midfielder and c) if honest, Ayala!

But ... we can still be ok. Two wins by mid November and we can get back on track.[/quote]Good post.Disagree re: Hoolahan though - whilst strength is admittedly one of his weakest attributes and cost us 1 goal today, we have no-one else who possesses his intricacy, or dribbling.  I would hope that he continues to feature at the very least in a squad capacity - starting winnable home games, and being used to unlock defences in tight away games as a substitute.

decent low cross in the first half that had Terry sliding across to put it out for a corner - another day and an own goal

we need Hooly, as much as at least having someone who will take on players and mix it up a bit

I''m fed up with seeing us get the ball forward then turn to knock it back ... then back again or sideways until the momentum is gone and their defence is back and organised

Howson is neither the brightest star in the team nor the worse player on the pitch for us today. He has been ineffective in the role he''s played this season but his best position for us is central midfield. Our most effective and successful form of attack again seems to be when Hoolahan is in the side. Hoolahan''s inclusion brings a different team structure. Last season this structure saw us outplay the opposition in matches using incisive short passing and movement built around players that are comfortable & accurate on the ball. Hoolahan & Fox through the centre, Naughton & E Bennett on the right and Surman, Tierney & Drury on the left all contributed to this, along with Howson - he certainly has the accurate passing ability & skill to play these tactics and today we saw small glimpse of last season, with  Howson further up in the attacking third. However, this system requires everyone to do their job & the difference this season is the other players either do not have the ability to play the system or did not perform well today. What happens is a lot of inaccurate passes or not getting into position to support & receive the ball - resulting in either having to pass the ball backwards or an ambitious long pass or Hoolahan not having a pass "on" & eventually getting knocked off the ball. Howson & Holt were the only ones that looked competent when playing this system with Hoolahan today. Russell Martin is just not as sharp as Naughton on the right and we are missing Drury or Tierney on the left. The limitations of the centrebacks also greatly affect the performance of team.  If Whitbread was in the team he would carry the ball forward out of defence from CD, This season it has to be a CM so we are always a player short in attack.  Russell Martin would be the solution here.If Hughton & Co cannot figure out how to play the different systems successfully they need to bring in advisors that will help them.Howson did display some good touches today, he did also make errors. Chelsea dictated the game having the majority of the ball and the likes of Howson & Hoolahan were expending all their energy chasing & defending. This drained them physically & our attack was non-existent from the 65 minutes mark onwards.Tetley & Johnson are not bad performers and have their own skills they bring to table. But Howson looks like he can pass the ball better.  

I actually thought Howson, was one of our better players. He showed some really great touches and skill on the ball. Was better when he moved fowards a little more.

Hoolahan was the only one going to create anything for us today. Set up Holts goal and created numerous other chances. He has to play.

Feel sorry for Johnson made to play LM, of course he''s going to be poor. Not sure why he didn''t play Lappin, or Surman, or Pilks.