Sign in to follow this  
super canary

Biglia and Tettey=solid midfield.

[quote user="TheFineCity"]I have zero inside knowledge about whether Biglia will sign for us or not, but can I just point out the whole thing about European Football this season is a complete irrelevance. Biglia has now played CL Football for Andelecht this season which means he is now cup-tied from all European Football for any other team.[/quote]

thats very interesting, something has been lost in translation then.

[quote user="Willmeister"][quote user="TheFineCity"]I have zero inside knowledge about whether Biglia will sign for us or not, but can I just point out the whole thing about European Football this season is a complete irrelevance. Biglia has now played CL Football for Andelecht this season which means he is now cup-tied from all European Football for any other team.[/quote]

In the qualifiers you can play for a club and still be eligible to play for another club from the group stage onwards.[/quote]

I believe the rule is so long as your original team has been eliminated before the group stages, which Anderlect haven''t been yet. Currently 2-1 in the first leg of the play off between them and AEL.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="TheFineCity"]I have zero inside knowledge about whether Biglia will sign for us or not, but can I just point out the whole thing about European Football this season is a complete irrelevance. Biglia has now played CL Football for Andelecht this season which means he is now cup-tied from all European Football for any other team.[/quote]

A very good point, although would he be banned from the Europa League as well as the Champions League?

[/quote]

I believe it''s all European Football, unless the rules been changed.

[quote user="TheFineCity"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

A very good point, although would he be banned from the Europa League as well as the Champions League?

[/quote] I believe it''s all European Football, unless the rules been changed.[/quote]

TFC, what I found was this, which isn''t entirely clear, but I think means the two competitions are regarded as separate, but I wouldn''t swaer to it!

The executive committee has agreed that a player who appears for a club in any of the preliminary rounds of the Champions League or Europa League can play for another team in the competition proper, so long as his original team is eliminated in the preliminary competition. "The rules have been relaxed regarding what the English call ''cup-tied'' players, that is players who have already played for one team in a competition in a season," said UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino. "From next season, if a player''s club is eliminated and he signs for a new club by the end of the summer transfer window on September 1 he can play for his new club in either competition.

This sums it up nicely:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/263283-explained-eligibility-of-cup-tied-players-in-uefa-competitions/

So if Anderlect beat AEL on Wednesday in the 2nd leg of there play off in Brussels which is highly probable, Biglia will be cup tied from all European competitions.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

TFC, what I found was this, which isn''t entirely clear, but I think means the two competitions are regarded as separate, but I wouldn''t swaer to it!

The executive committee has agreed that a player who appears for a club in any of the preliminary rounds of the Champions League or Europa League can play for another team in the competition proper, so long as his original team is eliminated in the preliminary competition. "The rules have been relaxed regarding what the English call ''cup-tied'' players, that is players who have already played for one team in a competition in a season," said UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino. "From next season, if a player''s club is eliminated and he signs for a new club by the end of the summer transfer window on September 1 he can play for his new club in either competition.

[/quote]
Ok so as I understand it, if Anderlecht make it to the group stages, Biglia would be ineligible for Champs League games for another club which means our competition would likely dwindle a bit, although we would still be competing with Europa League teams if any are interested

[quote user="kick it off"]
Ok so as I understand it, if Anderlecht make it to the group stages, Biglia would be ineligible for Champs League games for another club which means our competition would likely dwindle a bit, although we would still be competing with Europa League teams if any are interested
[/quote]
Ignore this, in light of the post before it which I didn''t see until I''d posted

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Stats can''t always be relied on, but I suspect Biglia is considerably the better player. He started 30 games for Anderlecht last season; Tettey started only seven for Rennes.[/quote]

Tettey was involved (starts and sub) in 38 games last season - Ligue 1, domestic and european cup matches and internationals.

would be a significant confirmation of the direction we are going

[quote user="super canary"]Ok, so it might not be Biglia, as much a i would like that. But i do believe we should try to get another quality central midfielder in, perhaps nzonzi, to play alongside Tettey, allowing for an attacking front four.[/quote]I agree, another quality centre midfielder to be added to the Tettey signing is just what we need.If Howson, Snodgrass, Johnson are first choice players at this moment in time then NCFC will only be fighting for survival at best.This has been the area of the first team that has been crying out for an injection of quality more than any other.Well done CH.

[quote user="Trawlerboy"][quote user="super canary"]Ok, so it might not be Biglia, as much a i would like that. But i do believe we should try to get another quality central midfielder in, perhaps nzonzi, to play alongside Tettey, allowing for an attacking front four.[/quote]

I agree, another quality centre midfielder to be added to the Tettey signing is just what we need.

If Howson, Snodgrass, Johnson are first choice players at this moment in time then NCFC will only be fighting for survival at best.

This has been the area of the first team that has been crying out for an injection of quality more than any other.

Well done CH.

[/quote]

I really rate Snodgrass and Howson and think they will play their part this season, but good to get some new quality players in that we can agree on.

[quote user="kick it off"]I''m not convinced the Biglia deal is off due to us dropping our interest. It might well not happen because of the player, but I think the plan for Hughton was to get BOTH, not a one or the other scenario. I can''t say I know loads about either player, but I''ve seen Biglia play a few times, and he seems like a very David Fox kind of deep lying passer, whereas from what I can gather about Tettey (who I know nothing about except youtube and what I''ve dug up online) he is a box to box Essien mould player so that says to me that it isn''t a case of just signing one or t''other.
Biglia = Fox upgrade.
Tettey = Johnson upgrade?
This in turn would free Howson to play in a more advanced role so I don''t see him being an obstacle to this theory.
[/quote]

Here''s my calculation:

midfield vs Borussia & Fulham = Howson & Johnson

therefore, Biglia & Tettey vs Howson & Johnson

Howson used another role = no creative spark /penetration

upgrade Biglia & Tettey

get rid - Howson & Johnson

[quote user="kick it off"]I''m not convinced the Biglia deal is off due to us dropping our interest. It might well not happen because of the player, but I think the plan for Hughton was to get BOTH, not a one or the other scenario. I can''t say I know loads about either player, but I''ve seen Biglia play a few times, and he seems like a very David Fox kind of deep lying passer, whereas from what I can gather about Tettey (who I know nothing about except youtube and what I''ve dug up online) he is a box to box Essien mould player so that says to me that it isn''t a case of just signing one or t''other.
Biglia = Fox upgrade.
This in turn would free Howson to play in a more advanced role so I don''t see him being an obstacle to this theory.
[/quote]

Here''s my calculation:

upgrade Biglia & Tettey

get rid - Howson & Johnson

Get rid of Howson???  Are you kidding me?  He is going to be a top quality player with the experience he''ll gain this season.  He''ll be in the England squad soon.

[quote user="Six Pack"][quote user="kick it off"]I''m not convinced the Biglia deal is off due to us dropping our interest. It might well not happen because of the player, but I think the plan for Hughton was to get BOTH, not a one or the other scenario. I can''t say I know loads about either player, but I''ve seen Biglia play a few times, and he seems like a very David Fox kind of deep lying passer, whereas from what I can gather about Tettey (who I know nothing about except youtube and what I''ve dug up online) he is a box to box Essien mould player so that says to me that it isn''t a case of just signing one or t''other.
Biglia = Fox upgrade.
[/quote]

Here''s my calculation:

upgrade Biglia & Tettey

get rid - Howson & Johnson[/quote]

also in formulae:

Fox = injured = did not play against Borrussia & Fulham = someone trying to pass him the butt !!

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Trawlerboy"][quote user="super canary"]Ok, so it might not be Biglia, as much a i would like that. But i do believe we should try to get another quality central midfielder in, perhaps nzonzi, to play alongside Tettey, allowing for an attacking front four.[/quote]I agree, another quality centre midfielder to be added to the Tettey signing is just what we need.If Howson, Snodgrass, Johnson are first choice players at this moment in time then NCFC will only be fighting for survival at best.This has been the area of the first team that has been crying out for an injection of quality more than any other.Well done CH.

[/quote]

I really rate Snodgrass and Howson and think they will play their part this season, but good to get some new quality players in that we can agree on.

[/quote]I rate Snodgrass and Howson as good enough to be part of the squad. I also rate them as players who are first choice picks week in week out for teams who are wishing to battle against the drop, or are trying to win promotion from the Championship.  I thought that NCFC was hoping to move towards a prolonged stay in the Premier League now though and that we have been crying out for a bit of midfield muscle (atheleticism and class) for a year to 18 months.The Leeds fans have not got it wrong - we would struggle with a first choice midfield containing two or three players who couldn''t win promotion for them.  Hopefully by adding a couple of quality midfilders to what we have, we will see the best from Howson, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Hoolahan and Elliott Bennett on a more frequent basis, rather than seeing the midfield totally over-run in so many of our fixtures.I don''t know much about Tettey, but if he can settle in and stay injury free, then he looks to have all the ability to become the best midfielder we have had since the likes of Andy Townsend and Tim Sherwood.I am really excited by this signing and hope to see another quality centre midfielder added to the squad before the transfer window closes.

[quote user="Six Pack"][quote user="kick it off"]I''m not convinced the Biglia deal is off due to us dropping our interest. It might well not happen because of the player, but I think the plan for Hughton was to get BOTH, not a one or the other scenario. I can''t say I know loads about either player, but I''ve seen Biglia play a few times, and he seems like a very David Fox kind of deep lying passer, whereas from what I can gather about Tettey (who I know nothing about except youtube and what I''ve dug up online) he is a box to box Essien mould player so that says to me that it isn''t a case of just signing one or t''other.
Biglia = Fox upgrade.
[/quote]

Here''s my calculation:

upgrade Biglia & Tettey

get rid - Howson & Johnson[/quote]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA, I''m going to bed! 

http://mirr.im/SxRDYJ

Not sure as the link will work as I''m sending off my phone but the Mirrror claim we''re still in for Biglia, and identify we have signed Tettey, also Sky sources said it would take a few days to complete so I''m still hopeful. I''m guessing we''ll know either way tomorrow as Hughton is bound to be asked post match.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Get rid of Howson???  Are you kidding me?  He is going to be a top quality player with the experience he''ll gain this season.  He''ll be in the England squad soon.[/quote]I think that you are getting a little carried away. He is a good young player yes, but he has to play at the very top of his game to compete at this level. If we do not improve the quality of the players around him then he will have no chance whatsoever of his career progressing and playing for England. Our midfield is totally unbalanced at the moment - something which Jol and Fulham took full advantage of last Saturday.Overcrowding the midfield with extra bodies does us no favours at both ends of the pitch. We need to add ball winners who can play a bit too.Nobody said sell Howson, but his game will improve by having better quality midfielders around him.