Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Canary Call......I know its been said before......

I''m sorry, this programme is the pits.    It gets the worst possible callers and they are treated with respect when they should just be told they are idiots.    I know there have been plenty of threads about this but this is the only magazine/phone in  programme about our club and its not good enough. The presenters have to have more balls!!

But aren''t those type of people pretty much the only ones who phone in shows like that? If they just had reasonable people, then the show wouldn''t be as popular, I''d imagine.

Have to agree and to be honest I only listen to hear the managers interview. Hughton tonight came across well unlike some of the complete idiots that feature.Negative Steve - yes that''s his name would appear to be on first name terms with the presenters. His comments about relegation, and offering Lambert £6 million a year bonus to stay makes him certifiable. Personally I thought Lambert was starting to get found out at the end of the season and firmly believe Hughton (yes Hughton not Houghton) is just what we need in the second premier season.Good night!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]But aren''t those type of people pretty much the only ones who phone in shows like that? If they just had reasonable people, then the show wouldn''t be as popular, I''d imagine.[/quote]

Yeah, I know, but for some perverse reason I look forward to listening to it - hoping for some good banter, but the presenters are always too soft with the callers.  [:(]    The interview with the manager is usually worth waiting for, but the rest is cringeworthy.

My favourite was the little dipsh1t who complained about the Jarold."I''voe bin in the Barcley and the Snake Pit for a whole jear Neal and its a l00t louwdar"Silly little chav then went on to complain about lack of noise from 10k fans, 4k of which were children under 10.Classic snakepit monger

[quote user="Fife Canary"]Have to agree and to be honest I only listen to hear the managers interview. Hughton tonight came across well unlike some of the complete idiots that feature.Negative Steve - yes that''s his name would appear to be on first name terms with the presenters. His comments about relegation, and offering Lambert £6 million a year bonus to stay makes him certifiable. Personally I thought Lambert was starting to get found out at the end of the season and firmly believe Hughton (yes Hughton not Houghton) is just what we need in the second premier season.Good night![/quote]What was the general feeling from Hughton Fife? any clues on a new striker coming in?

I actually had to switch it over it was so cringe-worthy; final straw was that moron who said about paying Lambert £6m a year and asking why we didn''t play the diamond tonight (?!!). If they continue to be nice and polite and ''see where they''re coming from'', I think it''s going to get old rather quickly

As said before, the presenters need to be stricter with callers and the usual thick lot must be told not to waste air time.

At first that attitude should put off a lot of the idiots and perhaps for a week or two there won''t be enough callers to fill the programme. Well so be it. Once we hear that the debates are grown up and with some humour, more of our sensible supporters will call in.

None of this will happen unless we get a really good presenter of course or at least Rob Butler stops allowing these idiots to spout utter tosh.

Meanwhile cringeworthy at best

I thought Adrian Forbes was pretty good, although you actually heard him sigh quite loudly when he was asked the same or very similar question for the 3rd time in a row.I loved the camp chap who was banging on about paying 6m to keep Lambert at City. That bloke clearly understands nothing about ambition, probably held down the same job for 20 years and not even thought about a promotion ! Hilarious moron right there !I think they really need to start screening thier callers better because its quite cringe worthy.

sounded like he loves Chris Martin though!! kept going on about game time til the bloke said would you put him in ahead of Holt or Jackson and he got a bit tongue twisted then!!

From my understanding it is a deliberate policy to encourage controversy, something that is a rather dangerous slope to head down

As said above those with a reasoned argument/point will not tune never mind bother to try and get through

Far from causing ''controversy'' it will merely degenerate into a a bigger freak show that what it is now

It needs someone with a robust approach to the thick and the terminally dimwitted, someone who will uncomprimisingly tell the stupid that they are stupid, not patronise them ... in fact, actually abuse them

Cometh the hour ..............

To be fair. You can only put people on air who actually call up. On the rare occasions that they get an intelligent and insightful caller they tend to get to spend a long time chatting to the presenters because they are like gold dust.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]As said before, the presenters need to be stricter with callers and the usual thick lot must be told not to waste air time. At first that attitude should put off a lot of the idiots and perhaps for a week or two there won''t be enough callers to fill the programme. Well so be it. Once we hear that the debates are grown up and with some humour, more of our sensible supporters will call in. None of this will happen unless we get a really good presenter of course or at least Rob Butler stops allowing these idiots to spout utter tosh. Meanwhile cringeworthy at best[/quote]

I wonder if any of the usual thick lot are also among the thick lot who post one here..

Do any Pink Un Posters ever own up to calling in[:^)]

Do you ever have a crafty dial Bury?

I used to text in everyweek with a different village name. Heather from Hethersett'' Phil from Filby etc. They all got read out until Matt from Mattishall. Three attempts were fruitless and the fourth attempt got the message read out but not the name. Perhaps Matt Gudgin lives in Mattishall...

"Three attempts were fruitless"

much as your attempts with the binner thread

must be deemed by the powers to be to have no connection to City

unlike a thread about a player signed by Southampton

This time six months ago you were all moaning that the presenters talk to much.  They cant win.  If you dont like the callers why not call in yourself.  I am sure they would love some new callers esp if you have actually been to the game. 

I''m sure Rob Butler is a decent bloke, but he doesn''t come across well on radio. Always pushes his opinions down your throat, always thinks he''s right, always thinks he''s funny. Don''t know where they got him from or why he''s now been given even more freedom to roam, but he isn''t good.

I think some at Radio Norfolk think he gives the show an added edge, but he just sounds like a lout who you''d meet in a rough pub on a Saturday night. Someone who forces his opinions at you whilst you try and enjoy a quiet pint.

I used to be a keen listener to Canary Call. I even called in once and spoke to Neil Adams. Now though it''s absolute dross. Such utter rubbish.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I''m sure Rob Butler is a decent bloke, but he doesn''t come across well on radio. Always pushes his opinions down your throat, always thinks he''s right, always thinks he''s funny. Don''t know where they got him from or why he''s now been given even more freedom to roam, but he isn''t good.

I think some at Radio Norfolk think he gives the show an added edge, but he just sounds like a lout who you''d meet in a rough pub on a Saturday night. Someone who forces his opinions at you whilst you try and enjoy a quiet pint.

I used to be a keen listener to Canary Call. I even called in once and spoke to Neil Adams. Now though it''s absolute dross. Such utter rubbish.[/quote]

And it was absolute dross for a long time when Adams did it. Only got better after he got sacked by the club and became a bit more ballsy and stopped sitting on the fence.

On the one hand people want Butler to stop patronising the stupid callers and tell them they are wrong yet at the same time he gets slated for giving his own opinions. He can only deal with the calls he gets and has to make the best of it. i called in last season after the Stoke away game, got on and he and Hucks didn''t interupt me at all, let me speak and then asked me a couple of questions at the end of the call. I didn''t feel I had any opinions pushed down my throat.

What Butler does is not different to what the hosts of any phone in do. Its no different to 606 where both Savage and Chapman (or whoevere happens to be hosting) offer their opinions on various subjects and try and spark debate. The only problem with Canary Call is that there are not always enough good callers so maybe some on here should stop moaning and phone in. That said the crap callers are often quite funny as well and it wouldn''t be the same Canary Call without some old Norfolk loon phoning in.

Maybe they should do it an hour later so people have had time to get home from the game then they would get more callers.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I''m sure Rob Butler is a decent bloke, but he doesn''t come across well on radio. Always pushes his opinions down your throat, always thinks he''s right, always thinks he''s funny. Don''t know where they got him from or why he''s now been given even more freedom to roam, but he isn''t good. I think some at Radio Norfolk think he gives the show an added edge, but he just sounds like a lout who you''d meet in a rough pub on a Saturday night. Someone who forces his opinions at you whilst you try and enjoy a quiet pint. I used to be a keen listener to Canary Call. I even called in once and spoke to Neil Adams. Now though it''s absolute dross. Such utter rubbish.[/quote]

Because of Mr Butler

I reckon Rob must be a mate of Jim and Ren. But if he''s as good as you two make out he''ll soon be on the move to bigger and better things anyway[;)]

I rarely listen now and don''t really have an opinion but I had cause to email Rob Butler a few months ago and he was keen to reply and helpful.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I reckon Rob must be a mate of Jim and Ren. But if he''s as good as you two make out he''ll soon be on the move to bigger and better things anyway[;)]

I rarely listen now and don''t really have an opinion but I had cause to email Rob Butler a few months ago and he was keen to reply and helpful.

[/quote]

I know Rob yes and although thats not the reason I am sticking up for him. I just think a lot of the criticism is quite unfair and most of it just seems to be borne out of petty jealousy that a "fan" has been allowed a platform for their views which seems to infuriate many who have to settle for airing their views on here or wrathofthebarclay. I''m sure Rob himself would admit that on occasions he could be tougher with some of the mad callers but then i''m sure if he started cutting people off all the time he would be accused of being domineering and disregarding fans views. At the end of the day he''s a guy who has been given an opportunity to present a radio phone in about a subject he;s passionate about and sometimes when there are not many talking points arising from the game he is going to have to try and stimulate the debate by voicing a few opinions.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I know Rob yes and although thats not the reason I am sticking up for him. I just think a lot of the criticism is quite unfair and most of it just seems to be borne out of petty jealousy that a "fan" has been allowed a platform for their views which seems to infuriate many who have to settle for airing their views on here or wrathofthebarclay. I''m sure Rob himself would admit that on occasions he could be tougher with some of the mad callers but then i''m sure if he started cutting people off all the time he would be accused of being domineering and disregarding fans views. At the end of the day he''s a guy who has been given an opportunity to present a radio phone in about a subject he;s passionate about and sometimes when there are not many talking points arising from the game he is going to have to try and stimulate the debate by voicing a few opinions.

[/quote]

I wasn''t having a pop Jim. Canary Call is a different show now and Rob Butler hasn''t replaced Neil Adams. McVeigh/Eadie/Russell etc have done that. Rob has replaced Matt from Mattishall or whichever presenter did the show.

I''d like to see Rob post on here unshackled. Treat other posters like he does the callers only without restraint. If some of the callers to Canary Call are daft then it stands to reason that at least the same percentage of posters on here must be daft. But the question is........

Would Rob get banned by Peter the Deleter[:^)]

Agree totally with your post Fife. The added bonus is that Hughton who is now the world wide public face of NCFC is articulate, intelligent and knows his subject thoroughly.

Every week i tune into it on Iplayer to play in bed as background and every single time i''m fast asleep within the first 5 minutes, I can never remember beyond the first caller. I''ve never heard beyond the 5th minute of Canary Call.