Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Worthy should have been gone months ago!

Nigel has done an exceptional job, considering the restrictive and financial restraints that have been imposed, coupled with the distinct lack of quality of seasoned Premiership players made available during the transfer window (and what a ''pane'' that was). 

But he, (as many of my fellow posters have quite rightly stated), does make some unusual selections, decisions and formations, which I have  to agree on occasions, where unluckily forced upon him by the injuries sustained to the squad, that couldn''t have possibly come at a worse time.

I''m sure he watches MOTD, and therefore hears what the pundits have to say, regarding our ''poor'' defending and overall team performances. Nigel, and the players, probably read the local press: EDP, EEN and the Pinkun, and see what the fans and sportswriters, (who are good, bad or indifferent!) have to say on the teams performance. He witnesses the whole of the games from the touchline, the club has video recordings of the matches, and those hi-tech ''special'' cameras fitted in the stand roofs around Carrow Rd, which record the positioning of each player during the course of the game, allowing detailed post match de-briefs. So the technology is available to him- to use as evidence on what has occurred on the pitch. 

Now, we don''t see behind the scenes at Colney, and I''m not in possession of an FA coaching badge. But I do know when a player has a ''stinker'' (and yes we all have off days) but, when individuals do it on an unacceptable and regular basis, then it needs to be addressed - and quickly.....Sadly, this has not been the case, and therefore we are now in the position from were I think there is no salvation. I will always remain the optimist, till the mathematics decree that "It''s time for bed!" Here''s Hoping?! OTBC ;~)

Keep Worthy, keep Worthy. Lets have some stability, lets give him a chance next season. There is no one else I would rather have.

Also, the feeling around the club from chairman to Manager to players is better than it has been for years. Should we therefore bring in Dave Bassett?

I agree with every word you say TwoSheds. Why is that while posters remember our two worst managers of recent times i.e. Rioch and Hamilton, they conveniently forget that Mr Worthington was part of that set up. Has not learnt too much since then has he?

[quote]Cap''n Jack- would you care to detail those who you call vindictive so they may answer their charge?[/quote]

I name and shame anyone who has agreed with this thread Tumbleweed.

After what Nigel has done for this club ie. play off finalists, promoted as champions and brought discipline and stability to the club, after a relatively short period in charge. 

To call for him to be sacked, sounds pretty vindictive to me matey!. 

Don''t want to say it Cap''n, but people remember you for what you did most recently not for what you did last year or years before that. If City go down Worthy will be on everyone''s mind as being the man who took them down - ignoring the fact he got them there in the first place.

I''m not saying I agree with any of this thread just trying to point out one of life''s eternal inconsistencies.

He may well be remembered for the wrong reasons, but look at what he''s doing for our club. He''s improving the squad and making it stronger sensibly, by not paying silly money for players who are unknown or may turn out to be complete donkeys, as is the case at west brom. The fact that we are in a healthy financial state and are still spending the sufficient money to strengthen the squad while other clubs around are struggling to stay alive, let alone succeed, speaks volumes for the job he''s doing for us along with the board.

[quote]He may well be remembered for the wrong reasons, but look at what he''s doing for our club. He''s improving the squad and making it stronger sensibly, by not paying silly money for players who are unkno...[/quote]

Agreed, FV

I really think it''s a shame that after all he''s done, people on this board feel Worthy should have gone. As I said previously, after what Worthy''s done, he''s DESERVED HIS CHANCE to attempt to keep us up.

People quickly forget things that were good, in favour of taking in nothing but the current situation. You can''t dispense of a manager a 1/3 of the way through a season who has done so much for the club - he deserves his shot at the top flight, just like the rest do.

I think you''re wrong, Morph. What do people remember Ken Brown for? Winning the Milk Cup, or leaving with City in real trouble at the bottom of the league? John Deehan? Great striker or manager who got us relegated? Mike Walker? European glory or Evertonian betrayal? It''s the positives every time, isn''t it?

On the main subject of the thread, I think Worthington should stay and be given the chance to learn from the experience. I think he''s had a poor season as manager, both in selection and as head of the coaching team (if West Brom can keep clean sheets, so should we be able to). But, he learned in the Championship - how many of you thought that he had taken the club as far as he could when we failed to make an impact the year after reaching the play-off final? I certainly thought he had made us into a team that was hard to beat but that wasn''t capable of getting us playing the more attacking football that was needed to win promotion.

It didn''t take him long the following season to solve the team''s problems up front. I think he''s our best bet of winning promotion next season (in, let''s not forget, a bloody hard league). And I''d back him to make a make a better fist of things in the Premiership in two years'' time - if we''re good enough and lucky enough to make it back.

Let us hope that Mr Worthington has learned from his mistakes; and we all know that he has made a few. If he has learned then I think he has the potential to get Norwich to get up and stay up next time.
I would still rather have Ian Dowie but then I imagine that most clubs would.

[quote]Don''t want to say it Cap''n, but people remember you for what you did most recently not for what you did last year or years before that. If City go down Worthy will be on everyone''s mind as being the m...[/quote]

I can see the point you''re making Morph, but if there''s one thing this old pirate despises it is ingratitude!.

Of course Worthy makes mistakes, but I would ask posters which manager doesn''t?.

Take away the millions of pounds at their disposal, just how good would Fergie, Wenger and Co be?. Especially with Nigel''s small budget!.

They wouldn''t fair much better then Nigel has I suggest.

No, Nigel will do for me.

PS. We could have big fat, now hard up Joe, instead you know!.

Yo ho ho.

I am firmly in the Worthy should stay and keep the stability camp as I think we are building for a better long term future.  I have said that from day one when most people on here that now say we should bounce straight back, jumped on me for saying the same thing and said that I shouldn''t presume it would be so easy.

Anyway there is one small thing that worries me.   Worthy''s ability to learn from mistakes.  Everyone keeps mentioning it, but there has been zero evidence all season.  If he did learn from mistakes why was Doc dropped and not Flemming?  Why is Holt playing when Brennan was find on the left and Stuart is a better central midfielder?   Why McKenzie up front and Hucks on the left when we create more chances with Hucks up front?   Why do our defenders not man mark properly?    All of these mistakes occur week in week out, with no sign of improvement.  Please let Worthy have a real good think in the close season and realise these things!!

yeah thats wat also worries me. we make the same mistakes week in week out and no1 seems to learn!!
are the players simply not listening? or are they being coached wrong?!