Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Prem Reality for Southampton

They played well but I couldn''t help a cheer when Van Persie picked their pockets.A good game to watch and a psychological blow to Southampton so good news all round.

I''m surprised they are not top of the table given all the miney they have spent

Away to Arsenal next. Not what you''d call an ideal start. It''s very early days but if you fall much behind the 1 point a game mark it starts to get very difficult. Also when you chuck away winning positions it''s very bad for morale. I think they will be one of the three to be relegated

Shame we are looking to other teams to lose though. If we had started winning our own games we wouldn''t be concerned about the likes of Soton.

That, Ricardo, is how the fixture list throws up games so in one sense it all evens out

though there is always the thought that in can matter with individual results when you actually play a team - as with, it was probably the best time to play Spurs, but certainly not Swansea at this stage

I still think it is too early to judge on results alone

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Shame we are looking to other teams to lose though. If we had started winning our own games we wouldn''t be concerned about the likes of Soton.[/quote]If the likes of Southampton pick up points against the big boys we would have to be very concerned because just beating them ourselves might not be enough. It''s going to be a real dogfight to stay in the league this year so we should be highly delighted when potential rivals drop points. Especially when they go from +3 points to zero in a matter of minutes. Don''t make the mistake of cheering on the underdog against the big boys, it should be obvious who we want to win or lose.

[quote user="City1st"]

That, Ricardo, is how the fixture list throws up games so in one sense it all evens out

though there is always the thought that in can matter with individual results when you actually play a team - as with, it was probably the best time to play Spurs, but certainly not Swansea at this stage

[/quote]Agreed, it needs 10 -12 games on the board before you can pick out the stragglers. We all have to play the big teams at some time and yes you can be lucky or unlucky when your turn comes but it makes our task easier when potential rivals don''t pull off surprise wins.

I must admit that I''d be much less bothered if we were sat on 6pts like we should be, but I still wanted them to lose as Ricardo says. It''s all about survival

While everyone of course has to play each other at some stage it isn''t a nice position to be in. They are the only team with 0 points after 3 games and a trip to the Emirates is next. That could potentially stretch to 4 games and the pressure on the winnable games becomes enormous. After the QPR game Bolton had a similar sequence of fixtures and got stuck in the bottom 3. It kind of set the tone for the season even if they were a poor side.

Wigan looked dead and buried most of last season - and they proved things can change. Mind you, Wigan have a history of great escapes I suppose!

If Southampton lose against Arsenal it will be highly unpleasant to have 0 points from 12. Then again, to keep anywhere near an average of a point per game, Norwich need to beat West Ham to get our tally to 5 points from 12. I think we all know the importance of our next home game!...

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

Agreed, it needs 10 -12 games on the board before you can pick out the stragglers. We all have to play the big teams at some time and yes you can be lucky or unlucky when your turn comes but it makes our task easier when potential rivals don''t pull off surprise wins.
[/quote]

Indeed Rickyyyyyyyyyy. You didn''t get to where you are today by worrying about the league table in August and September.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]Agreed, it needs 10 -12 games on the board before you can pick out the stragglers. We all have to play the big teams at some time and yes you can be lucky or unlucky when your turn comes but it makes our task easier when potential rivals don''t pull off surprise wins.[/quote]

Indeed Rickyyyyyyyyyy. You didn''t get to where you are today by worrying about the league table in August and September.

[/quote]I didn''t look at it in the way of what the table looks like after 3-cum-4 games.  I looked at it in a way of having zero point can effect the team and fans psychologically.  Anyway it''s their worry not ours.

Someone''s already mentioned the psychological impact and I firmly believe that. When we were in the Prem with Worthy and co, we had a horrible run of games and got some pats on the back but very little points on the board. It was only towards the tail end of the season that we started picking up confidence and got a run of wins from ManYoo, Newcastle, Birmingham and Charlton but we''d already got the monkey on our back about away games and capitulated at Craven Cottage

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Someone''s already mentioned the psychological impact and I firmly believe that. When we were in the Prem with Worthy and co, we had a horrible run of games and got some pats on the back but very little points on the board. It was only towards the tail end of the season that we started picking up confidence and got a run of wins from ManYoo, Newcastle, Birmingham and Charlton but we''d already got the monkey on our back about away games and capitulated at Craven Cottage[/quote]

Surely you''re mistaken Chunky. Every game was Fulham away[;)]

nope, no game was or will ever be Fulham away (2005) a shameful day in our history

and the ''aunts'' had the cheek to walk round doing a lap of honour afterwards

" They haven''t fielded their £12M signing yet! "

I hope for their sake he''s a defender - awful marking again from them today... it seems to be the weak link of all the promoted teams. Just like us last year, but if anything they seem worse !

[quote user="Surfer"]" They haven''t fielded their £12M signing yet! " I hope for their sake he''s a defender - awful marking again from them today... it seems to be the weak link of all the promoted teams. Just like us last year, but if anything they seem worse ![/quote]

Attacking mid I think? Not what they need it seems, but he''ll probably do well for them

[quote user="Surfer"]" They haven''t fielded their £12M signing yet! " I hope for their sake he''s a defender - awful marking again from them today... it seems to be the weak link of all the promoted teams. Just like us last year, but if anything they seem worse ![/quote]

Attacking mid I think? Not what they need it seems, but he''ll probably do well for them

Well I know the guy is class, but it''s clear that is not what their problem is... I was happy they didn''t get anything out of it, but I think focussing on ourselves is the way to go... We should have had at least 4 points now ... Let''s just focus on getting 3 points out of the next game!

I think Southampton are doing what Hull and Burnley did a few seasons ago, e.g. playing well against the big teams in the first half of the season (Burnley beat Man Utd early on, and Hull and beat Arsenal), because the novelty is there and the fans are excited. But the result of the Wigan game was interesting. To stay up, you really need to win against Wigan at home (I know we didn''t last season, but we played them just as their traditional end of season good form kicked in), or at least not lose. I know it''s a cliche, but you need to beat the teams around you. I''d rather have a scrappy win against Reading, than a dominant win at Old Trafford, purely because you''re taking points away from your rivals as well as gaining them yourself. 

Southampton did not deserve to come away with nothing, they deserved the point, but I''m still baffled by the team shape and player selections from Adkins so far.Lallana doesn''t suit where he''s been asked to play and in essence Adkins has neutralised one of his own biggest threats, and Puncheon on the right isn''t great either.Needs to change Lallana back to his normal role and play Lambert upfront with Rodriguez if he wants to have a better impact as this will help control midfield more and offer a stronger cutting edge (even if they did score twice).