Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

How long before qwe sign a striker (or two)

I''m getting worried I have to admit. Whilst there is 2 weeks til the season starts and 3 weeks til the close of the transfer window I can''t help feeling we need to get someone else in quickly. I just dont believe we have the firepower this year. Maybe we are going to be harder to break down and we have needed defensive improvement. But I see 0-0s ahead or 1-0 losses if we don''t strengthen attack. Come on CH. Anyone else share my concerns or am I guilty of Pink Un message board negativity?

[quote user="sonyc"]I''m getting worried I have to admit. Whilst there is 2 weeks til the season starts and 3 weeks til the close of the transfer window I can''t help feeling we need to get someone else in quickly. I just dont believe we have the firepower this year. Maybe we are going to be harder to break down and we have needed defensive improvement. But I see 0-0s ahead or 1-0 losses if we don''t strengthen attack. Come on CH. Anyone else share my concerns or am I guilty of Pink Un message board negativity?[/quote]

Worrying unnecessarily imo.  I believe the strikers we have are going to improve.   Holt - Morison - Jackson - Vaughan  have room to improve - and not forgetting the midfielders who have goals in them - we have plenty of firepower.   [:)]

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="sonyc"]I''m getting worried I have to admit. Whilst there is 2 weeks til the season starts and 3 weeks til the close of the transfer window I can''t help feeling we need to get someone else in quickly. I just dont believe we have the firepower this year. Maybe we are going to be harder to break down and we have needed defensive improvement. But I see 0-0s ahead or 1-0 losses if we don''t strengthen attack. Come on CH. Anyone else share my concerns or am I guilty of Pink Un message board negativity?[/quote]

Worrying unnecessarily imo.  I believe the strikers we have are going to improve.   Holt - Morison - Jackson - Vaughan  have room to improve - and not forgetting the midfielders who have goals in them - we have plenty of firepower.   [:)]

[/quote]

It is the one outfield area of the squad that hasn''t been improved since last summer. The strikers we have are not going to improve significantly enough to provide that strengthening themselves. 

I think Hughton has had some time to assess, some managers have time to assess prior to the appointment, but he obviously has had little time to do such.But he would have seen our players, looked at a years worth of tape, met the players, met the previous coaching staff and hence have a pretty good idea of his current team, their ability and where they will be in the future.He clearly has come in with Turner, Whittaker and looked at our defensive unit and realised that coaching alone isn''t going to be enough. Drury was leaving, Naughton was leaving and Whitbread has left so it is a very different set up. Maybe Ayala will leave and if so a replacement coming in but many will say left back is a weakness.Midfield he has come in and got another talented central midfielder in and a very championship wide player who is biting at the bit for premiership football. Crofts has gone as his chances will continue to be limited and I do not think he will be the last to leave, loan or otherwise.Then on to the striker positions, I like you sonyc expect a player to come in to bring our group back up to four competitive players for two spots and Jacko and Martin as squad players. There are rumours of other strikers moving on after Wilby left, so who knows.But I agree we need players in, but I also believe we have brought in two on a free, Turner allegedly in for 1.5 million and Snoddy in... these are four players who add, but now I look to these next few weeks to where we add some very good options to be considered starters in the striking position, possible defensive midfielder and full back cover.It is exciting but due to the other football competitions it has been a slow transfer window.

Unlike some of you, I believe in the players we''ve got and that they can improve.   Players don''t just stay the same. They develop.    Jackson is approaching a make or break season.    I think he will take his chance this time - his attitude to his football is frirst rate - and he has ability.  Vaughan has something to prove - and again he has the ability.    Holt and Morison both have 25-30 goals between, maybe more if they get a long run in the team.   They shared the load last season (27 goals?).      We will only need to get a striker if CH wants Vaughan to prove his fitness first by going out on loan.  

Players coming in is always exciting - but is not something we should "expect" or get worked up about, imo. 

[/quote]

I''d love to live on your Utopian planet LDC. I don''t like negative people but your ultra-positive views are something else!! ;)

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

I''d love to live on your Utopian planet LDC. I don''t like negative people but your ultra-positive views are something else!! ;)

[/quote]

Its not Utopia!!   Its realism.    I was saying before last season we had everything to be positive about - it wasn''t utopian - it was based on the experienceof the previous two seasons.  Some of you just only see the bad and not accentuate the good things.     Players can improve.  Its a fact.  Potential can be realised.   Its not always about going out and spending millions of pounds!!

I do believe in the players we have but equally I think we need to add to the striking options to keep it fresh. After all, Wilbraham got a lot of minutes at the end of last season and if nothing else we need an extra body to replace him.

I''d like to see a dynamic powerful and fast striker to add to our options. No idea who and it may have to be a punt on an overseas player. A young Tony Yeboah!

With the way Hughton is setting up the team preseason however, it''s looking like we will start with only one striker which may mean Hughton is of the opinion that we already have more than enough striking options.

Unlike some of you, I believe in the players we''ve got and that they can improve.   Players don''t just stay the same. They develop.    Jackson is approaching a make or break season.    I think he will take his chance this time - his attitude to his football is frirst rate - and he has ability.  Vaughan has something to prove - and again he has the ability.    Holt and Morison both have 25-30 goals between, maybe more if they get a long run in the team.   They shared the load last season (27 goals?).      We will only need to get a striker if CH wants Vaughan to prove his fitness first by going out on loan.  

[/quote]

I don''t believe in the players we''ve got. I don''t believe they can improve. Players don''t stay the same - they get worse. From here on Holt and Morsion will only decline. Twenty-four PL goals between them last season. Fewer this. Make or break for Jackson is trying to prove he he can cut it in the Championship. Ditto for Vaughan.

I think with a striker, you''ll often find they are bought to fit into the existing game plan. So Hughton has been working out how to set his team up, and a striker can be bought late and just slot in up front, I may be making it up but it just seams easier for a striker to do that than most other positions. Attacking loanees always seem to be more popular as well...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

I don''t believe in the players we''ve got. I don''t believe they can improve. Players don''t stay the same - they get worse. From here on Holt and Morsion will only decline. Twenty-four PL goals between them last season. Fewer this. Make or break for Jackson is trying to prove he he can cut it in the Championship. Ditto for Vaughan.

[/quote]

Following sport, as we all do, the thing I like most about watching is to see how certain players set about improving what they do.   All players are working to improve - its in the nature of being a sportsman.     If they are not, then they have no place in professional sport imo.     If players are struggling to do that in their present environment - then yes, move them on in their best interest and the club''s.    Jackson, as I have said, is in a make or break season.    I for one will be willing him on to fulfill his potential.    Morison too. Holt is imo will always score goals.   Vaughan of course has something to prove.     Its the old glass half empty half full argument I suppose.    We shall see!!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Give Peas a Chance "][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its not Utopia!!   Its realism.    I was saying before last season we had everything to be positive about - it wasn''t utopian - it was based on the experienceof the previous two seasons.  Some of you just only see the bad and not accentuate the good things.     Players can improve.  Its a fact.  Potential can be realised.   Its not always about going out and spending millions of pounds!!

[/quote]

It would be realistic to think that there is negatives in anything in football and actaully in life in general, otherwise there would be no need for this message board, it would be a very boring place if every post made was positive.

Yes we have had three very successful seasons, but you can find faults in all three seasons. The best way to be successful is learn from your errors, not be ultra-positive and sweep everything under the carpet.

I didnt notice us struggle that much for goals last season, so if we were to add a further quality striker to our squad it would be excellent, but they do tend to cost a bit, particularly better strikers than we already have.

Of course players can improve, sure there will be point where they level off and then decline, but its crazy not to expect several of our players across the squad to improve this coming season.

Out of our four main strikers, my guess is that Holt has probably reached his peek and will maintain his form this season and possible drop off a little over the two subsequent seasons. Morison will improve after his season in the Premier as will Jackson, but both not that significantly, but certainly not decline. As for Vaughan, fitness is key, and if he maintains this, then it would be a shock not to see massive improvement from him, some of the glimpses we had last season plus his pre-season make it clear things will happen for him. 

Having said all of that, lets not forget that even World Class strikers form can dip (Torres for example) and a lot depends on the system the team plays and the service they get, all obvious but true, and anyone of our strikers could suffer from a dip in form and poor service. So, if this happens it would be terrific if we had another top striker to come in, would be my priority right now if I were CH (in addition to a LB as I am not as sure a some over Tierney). 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Following sport, as we all do, the thing I like most about watching is to see how certain players set about improving what they do.   All players are working to improve - its in the nature of being a sportsman.     If they are not, then they have no place in professional sport imo.     If players are struggling to do that in their present environment - then yes, move them on in their best interest and the club''s.    Jackson, as I have said, is in a make or break season.    I for one will be willing him on to fulfill his potential.    Morison too. Holt is imo will always score goals.   Vaughan of course has something to prove.     Its the old glass half empty half full argument I suppose.    We shall see!!

[/quote]

ldc, if we don''t sign at least one striker this summer we will be relegated by Christmas.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ldc, if we don''t sign at least one striker this summer we will be relegated by Christmas.

[/quote]

Are you trying to wind me up??   No one is relegated by Christmas.    Get a grip! [:S]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you trying to wind me up??   No one is relegated by Christmas.    Get a grip! [:S]

[/quote]

Actually I was being optimistic there. If we don''t get a striker in this month we will be relegated by the time the clocks go back at the end of October.

I can''t tell if your posts are full of sarcasm PC, but if not... p*ss off! Call yourself a fan? That attitude is awful.

I think we more than proved we are a competitive premier league side, and our squad has been strengthened - you do the math.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]I can''t tell if your posts are full of sarcasm PC, but if not... p*ss off! Call yourself a fan? That attitude is awful. I think we more than proved we are a competitive premier league side, and our squad has been strengthened - you do the math.[/quote]

whoooooooooosh

Our forward line was not the department that caused us most problems last season, and we have since lost "only" Wilbraham.

Countering that, we have added Snodgrass, who certainly has goals in him. More importantly, we will likely play 5 in midfield if no more than one of our strikers is firing properly.

The defence is the key area that still needs improvement, preferably with, at the very least, a better centre back than we currently have.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]I can''t tell if your posts are full of sarcasm PC, but if not... p*ss off! Call yourself a fan? That attitude is awful. I think we more than proved we are a competitive premier league side, and our squad has been strengthened - you do the math.[/quote]

Thick evening fog is alive and well in Norfolk. How nostalgic.

How can people be so worried about not having the fire power?

We were the 6th (I think) highest scorers last season, we have lost Wilbraham who, although contributed well, wasn''t anywhere near a key asset for us and scored 1 goal.

We now have Vaughan fit and Snodgrass who scores goals.

Yes a striker would be nice but its far from a necessity, can somebody explain why there is all this negativity when we didn''t struggle for goals at all last season?

I think because Holt will no longer be an unknown quantity, the same for Morison. They may both score as many as last season but I doubt that. Yes, Vaughan looks good but his record speaks for itself. I agree we should be on the lookout for a new striker but only if there''s one that improves the squad...it''s dangerous to standstill in the premier league. I think all departments, bar the keeper require strengthening!

To think Thumbelina thought i was questioning the manager on the Ayala thread so either he has tunnel vision and has not looked elsewhere on here or there is a hidden agenda by continually questioning my posts.

Especially this one, we have the most level headed, lovely and caring, passionate fans in the world.

And of course the best firm!!!!

[quote user="Wing Wang Otter"]How can people be so worried about not having the fire power?

We were the 6th (I think) highest scorers last season, we have lost Wilbraham who, although contributed well, wasn''t anywhere near a key asset for us and scored 1 goal.

We now have Vaughan fit and Snodgrass who scores goals.

Yes a striker would be nice but its far from a necessity, can somebody explain why there is all this negativity when we didn''t struggle for goals at all last season?[/quote]
Kerching !!  Why the doom and gloom peeps?  52 goals last season! How soon we forget.  Didn''t seem to be a problem then. Now the other end of the park ............[:''(]

CH has already commented on "not taking our chances" and the need for "greater cutting edge in the final third" in various interviews, I think. He seems aware of the problem. He hinted that they are still looking, although at what area of the team he didn''t say, but he followed this by satying that any signing must fit in with "our structure, our wage structure". This does not fill me with great expectation.

In general we have only three strikers who are likely to score goals - Vaughan, Holt and Morison, and if they remain fit I would expect them to achieve goals in that order, with Vaughan highest and Morison lowest. The problem is Vaughan''s fitness. Whenever he goes off early, and especially if he limps, you fear the worst.

Clearly our present resources are not enough in goal power, and even if the midfield contribute say, 6 each -as Pilks, Surs and Wes did, more or less last year, we need reliable firepower. I foresee a panic signing which does not fit our structure in January.