Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- Andy Carroll , loan speculation?

Scottlarock wrote:

''''The question I asked was ''Would Rodgers be interested in Howson?'' This thread is about Carroll speculation not whether I think Howson is good or not - he is good and I wouldn''t want to lose him. I think the majority of Canaries (rightly or wrongly) would have Carroll over Howson.''''

I most certainly would not!!

Why would we need Carroll? We have Holt, and Morison, who is a similar style. Howson will be huge for us next season and I certainly wouldn''t swap him for Carroll. I seriously doubt that ''''the majority of Canaries'''' would either.

I think Carroll is way overated and would think the same if he came here as has been mentioned Holt can do better, we have Morison and we would end up to much of a muchness.i would prefer a quick darting fox in the box type player someone to play off the others.

@Scooby

OK, fair enough, you seriously doubt that the majority would. No big deal and it''s not really the main point of the thread. I''ve never said we ''need'' Carroll, my OP was asking what people thought about the speculation.

Regarding Howson v AC anyway. If you had been asked who to choose before Howson signed for us, who would you have picked?

[quote user="Scottlarock"]@Scooby

OK, fair enough, you seriously doubt that the majority would. No big deal and it''s not really the main point of the thread. I''ve never said we ''need'' Carroll, my OP was asking what people thought about the speculation.

Regarding Howson v AC anyway. If you had been asked who to choose before Howson signed for us, who would you have picked?[/quote]
I''d have picked Howson. Carroll is horrendously over-rated and worth about 20% of what Liverpool paid. Maximum. The only reason anyone thinks he is any good is the price tag, and the fact he''s English. If he was Scottish and had signed for Celtic for a price more in line with his ability, every one of you would be saying he''d be a terrible signing because he really isn''t very good if you actually watch him play. 
He was being linked with an 8-10mill move to Stoke 6weeks before he went to Anfield. Liverpool got ripped off because everyone knew how much Chelski paid for Torres and how desperate the scousers were with it being late on deadline day and got held to ransom. Anyone else not surprised in the least that Comolli has since departed Anfield? 

Why, oh why can''t people think this through before clammering over a loan player.

What good would he do us?

IF he came to us and was poor then that would be to Liverpool''s advantage because they would no longer have a poor player to accomodate.

IF he came to us and he was good that would be to Liverpool''s advantage because they would maintain his value and they would get back a player who would have benefitted by playing in the Premiership (he still hasn''t played that many games at the top level), received coaching, training and exposure to the media and, if they wanted to move him on, probably have a few teams who would want him.

Meanwhile we would not be able to afford to buy him unless he was poor and his value dropped considerably and then we wouldn''t want him anyway!

And if he was good he would undoubtedly be an intricate part of our team which we would lose at the end of the season and have to look for an alternative replacement to fill his role in our team play. Look at how lower Premiership teams have fared when their star loan players have left them.

As I see it we would be on a lose, lose situation and Liverpool a win, win situation which is the usual senario when the richest clubs loan out their players anyway.

I most certainly would not want him here ............. unless we could buy him for about £5M, and that certainly is not going to happen! But certainly not on loan.

[quote user="Herman "]@ Jack Slicer.

Why my name or why Andy Carroll?[/quote]

Why do you call yourself Herman, Herman ?

Papers seem to think West Ham is his destination. Very plausible considering they were after Holt, so looking for a big striker, and he can link up with Nolan again.

[quote user="Jack Slicer"][quote user="Herman "]@ Jack Slicer. Why my name or why Andy Carroll?[/quote] Why do you call yourself Herman, Herman ?[/quote]

Something to with my large height and massive heed.Or so my wife Lily reckons?!

West Ham are welcome to him - don;t rate him. Having said that i note that West Ham are hopeful that Liverpool will pay a chunk of his wages. I really think its time the premier league passed a rule preventing that from happening. If clubs want to take players on loan then they should have to pay all of their wages without fail.

I think it''s about time loans between Premiership clubs was stopped altogether. If a club no longer wants a player they should transfer them out, perhaps that would stop the bigger clubs having fifty-odd players on their books even though they have to name a squad of 25.

Personally I would like to see all loans ended as it was designed to help the smaller clubs and now only helps the bigger ones snap up all promising players in the hope of picking up a gem.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Scottlarock"]@Scooby

Regarding Howson v AC anyway. If you had been asked who to choose before Howson signed for us, who would you have picked?[/quote]
I''d have picked Howson. Carroll is horrendously over-rated and worth about 20% of what Liverpool paid. Maximum. The only reason anyone thinks he is any good is the price tag, and the fact he''s English. If he was Scottish and had signed for Celtic for a price more in line with his ability, every one of you would be saying he''d be a terrible signing because he really isn''t very good if you actually watch him play. 
He was being linked with an 8-10mill move to Stoke 6weeks before he went to Anfield. Liverpool got ripped off because everyone knew how much Chelski paid for Torres and how desperate the scousers were with it being late on deadline day and got held to ransom. Anyone else not surprised in the least that Comolli has since departed Anfield? 
[/quote]

.....of course he was over priced and Liverpool had to act quickly. Thank you for that.

"he really isn''t very good if you watch him play" Really!?!? He hasn''t lived up to the form he had while at Newcastle that much is obvious but when AC plays well he is awesome. For you to choose him over Howson is just weird mate and sounds to me like you are doing it for the sake of the argument.

Howson has been a revelation since he''s been here........just say that again, since he''s been here. A lot of fans (majority?) at the time when he signed were hardly overwhelmed. For you to say though that you would have had Johnny Howson from a league one Leeds (even Leeds fans were nonplussed) over the premiership goal scoring and headline making Andy Carroll (who went on to play for England).

Seriously leave out the flowery facts designed to make you sound knowledgable.....blah blah Stoke blah blah Comoli and your critique and interpretation of what happened when Torres was sold, we all know that. I asked you, Carroll or Howson before Carroll signed for LiverpooI......you with mystic clairvoyance and the football knowledge that nobody else has evolved to yet..................said Howson

I also have a problem with your mild racism towards being Scottish.

Embarrassing

I don''t really get why so many people whinge about Carroll being "overrated". I mean, it seems to be the opinion of the vast majority that he is not a £35m striker and plenty of people are of the opinion that he''s not very good. So, how is he overrated if most don''t seem to rate him that much?

As it goes I quite like him as a player but my opinion is only based around what he''s like as a player. I don''t care how much Liverpool paid for him and I don''t care if he''s got himself in a bit of bother off the pitch in the past.

He''s not the neat and tidiest player you''ll ever see but the guy does have qualities and attributes that make him a threat. He is brilliant in the air, he wins so much. Few players can attack the ball as well as he can. But he can also play a bit and he''s got the ability to score goals in and outside the box, infact he''s got quite a sweet strike on his left foot, something that is often overlooked. And he''s a powerful runner when he gets in his stride.

People seem to hold his ridiculous price tag against him and even seem to use it as a stick to beat him with. He didn''t make Liverpool pay that money for him. The reason why Liverpool came in for was because he was very impessive for Newcastle, then he goes to Liveprool for a lot of money and struggles for a bit of form and all of a sudden people forget the guy has shown he can play a bit.

Certainly a player who will continue to play at a very high level for the rest of his career.

[quote user="tricky974"]Will never happen he is linked with ac milan[/quote]

If he plays like that at Milan the Italians will string him up in a few weeks, they don''t allow time to settle in, 2 weeks at best

[quote user="GJP"]

I don''t really get why so many people whinge about Carroll being "overrated". I mean, it seems to be the opinion of the vast majority that he is not a £35m striker and plenty of people are of the opinion that he''s not very good. So, how is he overrated if most don''t seem to rate him that much?

As it goes I quite like him as a player but my opinion is only based around what he''s like as a player. I don''t care how much Liverpool paid for him and I don''t care if he''s got himself in a bit of bother off the pitch in the past.

He''s not the neat and tidiest player you''ll ever see but the guy does have qualities and attributes that make him a threat. He is brilliant in the air, he wins so much. Few players can attack the ball as well as he can. But he can also play a bit and he''s got the ability to score goals in and outside the box, infact he''s got quite a sweet strike on his left foot, something that is often overlooked. And he''s a powerful runner when he gets in his stride.

People seem to hold his ridiculous price tag against him and even seem to use it as a stick to beat him with. He didn''t make Liverpool pay that money for him. The reason why Liverpool came in for was because he was very impessive for Newcastle, then he goes to Liveprool for a lot of money and struggles for a bit of form and all of a sudden people forget the guy has shown he can play a bit.

Certainly a player who will continue to play at a very high level for the rest of his career.

[/quote]

he is overated by the media and stupid pundits at the Euros.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

[/quote]

Is he? Really?

I don''t anyone sat there in the studio at the Euros saying "forget about Lionel Messi, this Carroll lad is phenomenal".

[quote user="GJP"]

I don''t anyone

[/quote]

*I don''t think anyone

[quote user="Scottlarock"] .....of course he was over priced and Liverpool had to act quickly. Thank you for that.

"he really isn''t very good if you watch him play" Really!?!? He hasn''t lived up to the form he had while at Newcastle that much is obvious but when AC plays well he is awesome. For you to choose him over Howson is just weird mate and sounds to me like you are doing it for the sake of the argument.

Howson has been a revelation since he''s been here........just say that again, since he''s been here. A lot of fans (majority?) at the time when he signed were hardly overwhelmed. For you to say though that you would have had Johnny Howson from a league one Leeds (even Leeds fans were nonplussed) over the premiership goal scoring and headline making Andy Carroll (who went on to play for England).

Seriously leave out the flowery facts designed to make you sound knowledgable.....blah blah Stoke blah blah Comoli and your critique and interpretation of what happened when Torres was sold, we all know that. I asked you, Carroll or Howson before Carroll signed for LiverpooI......you with mystic clairvoyance and the football knowledge that nobody else has evolved to yet..................said Howson

I also have a problem with your mild racism towards being Scottish.

Embarrassing[/quote]
Yes really, he was over-rated at Newcastle. "Premiership goal scoring and headline making" LOL - ridiculous hyperbole. His goals to games average in the Prem is TERRIBLE. That''s like me calling Simeon Jackson the "premiership goal scoring phenom" based on last season. Yeah, let''s leave out the facts because they totally undermine your argument, and why make a point based on the facts when you can just create ridiculous hyperbolic opinions. They''re  FACTS that illustrate the point that AC isn''t very good. Mild racism? Where? It''s nothing to do with racism toward the scots, I was just pointing out that if he were Scottish, not English, then he wouldnt have the same hype, and people who are commenting on this thread saying how great he is would be slating him if he weren''t English. Having a problem with people using facts to undermine your argument and pulling one of the most bizarre racism cards ever, out for me saying he would have less ridiculous hype if it he weren''t English. That''s embarrassing.
I would rather sign Emile Heskey than AC, he''d be far more effective. It didn''t take mystic clairvoyance to see Carroll is $hit, and has attitude problems. It takes football knowledge to know about decent lower league players, but if you think AC is a good footballer, you obviously don''t have too much of that. 
If Carroll is so good, how come clubs aren''t fighting to take him on loan? Well? If he is such a great player who''d make such a big impact, why aren''t even mid-table Prem clubs interested?

@ kickitoff

...he scored 11 in 19, in the Premiership, at Newcastle, I''m sorry for basing my ridiculous hyerbolic opinions on this......and you''re right, on this basis everybody in the football world should have looked at Johnny Howson instead.

However, I''ll give you credit - Emile Heskey would be more effective than Andy Carroll - your football knowledge has certainly put me straight on that. I doth my cap to you sir.

Embarrassing.

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Is he? Really?

I don''t anyone sat there in the studio at the Euros saying "forget about Lionel Messi, this Carroll lad is phenomenal".

[/quote]

What a stupid remark. They were going well over the top after the headed goal and all seem to forget the awful season he had, How did Messi get into the picture i never said anything about him being world class just overated he is not even prem class in my book.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Is he? Really?

[/quote] What a stupid remark. They were going well over the top after the headed goal and all seem to forget the awful season he had, How did Messi get into the picture i never said anything about him being world class just overated he is not even prem class in my book.[/quote]

No, I never did say you thought he was world class. Neither did I say anyone else thinks he''s world class, because probably nobody does. Because nobody rates him that highly and he is not overrated.

He scored a fantastic header at the Euros (and it was a fantastic header, surely any football fan can appreciate that) and that header got the praise it deserved. In general he did quite well at the Euros and perhaps should have kept his place ahead of Rooney.

As for his season at Liverpool, he wasn''t "awful". He had an "ok" season. He generally tried to do his bit but I think (or thought) a lot of people realised Liverpool didn''t play to his strengths - and when you''ve got a player like Andy Carroll that''s something you have to do that. And, actually, he played quite well towards the end of the season, hit a patch of good form.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Is he? Really?

[/quote] What a stupid remark. They were going well over the top after the headed goal and all seem to forget the awful season he had, How did Messi get into the picture i never said anything about him being world class just overated he is not even prem class in my book.[/quote]

No, I never did say you thought he was world class. Neither did I say anyone else thinks he''s world class, because probably nobody does. Because nobody rates him that highly and he is not overrated.

He scored a fantastic header at the Euros (and it was a fantastic header, surely any football fan can appreciate that) and that header got the praise it deserved. In general he did quite well at the Euros and perhaps should have kept his place ahead of Rooney.

As for his season at Liverpool, he wasn''t "awful". He had an "ok" season. He generally tried to do his bit but I think (or thought) a lot of people realised Liverpool didn''t play to his strengths - and when you''ve got a player like Andy Carroll that''s something you have to do that. And, actually, he played quite well towards the end of the season, hit a patch of good form.

[/quote]

two and half games a patch of form well thats great then, its all about opinions buddy and i dont rate him be gutted to see him here. end of.