Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Forrest the next super rich club or another Blackburn?

Yet another club with a super rich owner, more pressure on clubs like ours to ensure we stay up next year.

I do wonder if in a matter of few years the premiership will made up of clubs from the super rich and the few yo-yo clubs who don''t have that owner?

This is all press invention.

We Know there is nobody interested in buying football clubs....we were told so!

Certainly no one with any money that is.[:D]

That doesn''t mean anything to be fair. When Ecclestone and Briatore took over QPR they effectively became the "richest" football team in the world by some distance. However it was only when they were taken over by Tony Fernandes who is worth a mere fraction of what they are, that really significant investment happened. I agree this lot good well start pumping the cash in straight away. But there are no guarantees.

[quote user="Jacko"]That doesn''t mean anything to be fair. When Ecclestone and Briatore took over QPR they effectively became the "richest" football team in the world by some distance. However it was only when they were taken over by Tony Fernandes who is worth a mere fraction of what they are, that really significant investment happened. I agree this lot good well start pumping the cash in straight away. But there are no guarantees.[/quote]

What made QPR so rich in the Ecclestone-Briatore era was the involvement of the seriously wealthy Mittal family, which is still there. It is almost certainly Mittal money that Fernandes is spending now.

That could well be right. I don''t really know the dynamics of QPR. But the question I would put to you is? If the Mittal money is being spent then why wasn''t it being spent in pre season last year before Fernandes came when it was painfully obviously QPR needed to sign some players. If Mittal is that serious about spending his own cash surely he would want to be in charge and not Fernandes?

[quote user="Jacko"]That could well be right. I don''t really know the dynamics of QPR. But the question I would put to you is? If the Mittal money is being spent then why wasn''t it being spent in pre season last year before Fernandes came when it was painfully obviously QPR needed to sign some players. If Mittal is that serious about spending his own cash surely he would want to be in charge and not Fernandes?[/quote]

I too don''t know precisely what the dynamics have been and are at QPR, but my suspicion is that  the Mittals were less willing to spend when part of a rather  uneasy triumvirate with Briatore and Ecclestone. Back in May 2011 there was a bust-up between the Mittals and the other two, with the Mittals'' son-in-law quitting the board.

Now Ecclestone and Briatore are out of the picture and it seems very much more of a happy partnership between Fernandes and the Mittals, with the son-iu-law back on board.

I find the whole thing rather soul destroying to be honest. We cut our cloth and run our club well (now). We have worked miracles over the last three seasons to get back to and survive in the premiership based on picking up great value lower league gems. However the reality is that this summer, and next, we are simply not able to compete financially with crappy little clubs such as QPR and Reading and even seem to have less money to spend (and available for wages) compared to the other new boys up from the champ. I just fear that one day in the not too distant future the prem may have become an exclusive club of clubs owned by mega rich arabs, russians and asian billionaires and any clubs not in that bracket will simply not be able to compete. We may survive a few more seasons and continue to build on what we have done but the reality is sooner or later any half decent young players we have who perform at premiership level will be poached by clubs who can double or treble their wages.

We really, really need the premierleague/FA/EUFA to get the financial fair play regs sorted and close any loopholes but they won;t because the prem is a big business and the owners and clubs in it are too powerful.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Jacko"]That could well be right. I don''t really know the dynamics of QPR. But the question I would put to you is? If the Mittal money is being spent then why wasn''t it being spent in pre season last year before Fernandes came when it was painfully obviously QPR needed to sign some players. If Mittal is that serious about spending his own cash surely he would want to be in charge and not Fernandes?[/quote]

I too don''t know precisely what the dynamics have been and are at QPR, but my suspicion is that  the Mittals were less willing to spend when part of a rather  uneasy triumvirate with Briatore and Ecclestone. Back in May 2011 there was a bust-up between the Mittals and the other two, with the Mittals'' son-in-law quitting the board.Now Ecclestone and Briatore are out of the picture and it seems very much more of a happy partnership between Fernandes and the Mittals, with the son-iu-law back on board.

[/quote]

Not even sure it is the Mittals money being spent. I''m sure some is but Mittal is notoriously careful with his money. I understand that Fernandes is possibly the front man and there may also be other wealthy Malaysians behind the scenes.

Whatever you say Jacko, QPR are spending well now, have a high profile manager and players beyond their club stature! So in that case having big money behind QPR has made them safe.

What with Reading now being backed by a ritch Russian, it mreans that teams who would have been relegation fodder are now looking at mid table.

I think this season there are stronger teams, with more backing than last year. It will be tougher for us this year. I can''t name 3 teams that are worse than us, but I can name 7 teams in the same boat, fighting relegation, that would be WBA, Swansea, Wigan, Fulham, Southampton, Stoke and Villa.

But the future looks a lot tougher, even if we do stay up, we need to spend to increase the ground, that will dent any budget next year.

[quote user="Indy"]

Whatever you say Jacko, QPR are spending well now, have a high profile manager and players beyond their club stature! So in that case having big money behind QPR has made them safe.

What with Reading now being backed by a ritch Russian, it mreans that teams who would have been relegation fodder are now looking at mid table.

I think this season there are stronger teams, with more backing than last year. It will be tougher for us this year. I can''t name 3 teams that are worse than us, but I can name 7 teams in the same boat, fighting relegation, that would be WBA, Swansea, Wigan, Fulham, Southampton, Stoke and Villa.

But the future looks a lot tougher, even if we do stay up, we need to spend to increase the ground, that will dent any budget next year.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t have Villa in that list but I would have QPR and West Ham. QPR are spending well but I still think they will be in the mis. West Ham weren;t very good last season and haven''t bought that much.

That would explain a lot Purple. I must say judging by that 5 year plan documentary that anyone prepared to work in partnership with Briatore would need to be insane.

Indy, I agree there is no doubt they are spending a lot of money now. That much is obvious. But I think the original point stands. That just because a club has people who on paper look wealthy. It doesnt automatically mean they will be prepared to sink vast amounts of their wealth into the club. So it will be worth waiting to see how the Forest situation works out.

I would also strongly argue with the fact that QPR have suddenly become "safe" on the grounds they have money. Just in the same that Leicester struggled last year in the Championship despite having money to burn.

Football is won on grass not paper. We certainly have a squad capable of competing with QPR. They have chucked £50/60k a week at Robert Green. I don''t know what John Ruddy is on in comparison but you would guess probably only a third of that at the most. Is Green threes time the keeper Ruddy is? Of course he isn''t. He is probably as good for me even putting the Norwich bias to one side.

I agree entirely with your assessment of the relegation battle though. It is hard to pick out any team who you can see being terrible and a lot of teams of similar standard will be locked together. I think Stoke without European commitments will do better this season and Fulham if they sell Dempsey would be my dark horses for the drop. No centre forwards left and their most creative 17 goal player gone as well.

A good manager is more important then having a rich-owner to ultimately succeed (although the money obviously helps).

WBA - Steve Clarke

Swansea - Michael Laudrap

Wigan - Roberto Martinez

Fulham - Martin Jol

Southampton - Nigel Adkins

Stoke - Tony Pulis

Villa - Paul Lambert

Clarke is a great coach but can he manage? Pearce is also notoriously tight with his money.

Swansea based their good season on clean sheets and keeping the ball away, can Laudrap continue this? also without a key player in Sigurdsson

Wigan will be down there once more.

Fulham under Jol is a difficult call but have a decent squad, enough to finish bottom-half without relegation.

I''m a fan of Adkins and has money to spend. Easy to write of a promoted club but for my money will be the highest placed promoted club.

Stoke could really struggle this year. Never looked convincing and kick and rush is finally starting to die in England.

Villa under Lambert will be a totally different story to last year, no-where near relegation for me.

Reading and West Ham depends on signings made but I rate Mcdermott much more then Big Sam.

Wigan, Swansea, Stoke, West Ham and Reading will be our main competitors.

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

Apart from the big Russian fella with the name I can''t spell they are hardly throwing the cash around - all their signings have been free transfers and brining in Danny Guthrie and Nicky Shorey doesn''t suggest a team with bags of cash.

On the OP, there''s nothing concrete in the local paper here in Nottingham about the new owners'' spending plans.  They''ve done the sensible thing though and bought a club that has been under-performing (last season Forest were fighting relegation from the Champ).  Unlike the people who took over Blackburn who announced they had big plans for the club and I think it was reported in the press they were planning to spend £5m.

I do wish there were limits to the money owners can put into a club.  But in the long term, surely there must be a limit to the number of billionaires around the world who are mug enough to spend a fortune on EPL clubs ?

Some of us well remember the sight of a large number of over excited farmhands waving money about at Carrow Road some years back. Our dimwitted neighbours had just learnt that their club had been handed over to some anonymous multi billionaire who was going to give them £12m (much of which was to be used to meet ongoing debts). Some of us also remember a small number of halfwits on here saying that we should do the same ie run our club into the ground and bankrupt it so it has to be handed over for a pittance. Yes, we got it wrong by not copying THEIR model. Though some might argue that the £150m we will receive in two seasons suggests otherwise.

Many may wish to rush into some deal as the Financial fair Play rules slowly begin to bite. Others are no more than basket cases like Forest and the binners who have little choice but to accept the terms, whatever they might be, of someone who is able to keep them afloat.. Rangers and Pompey should give fair warning to that.

Be careful what you wish for.

It isn''t just the financial fair play which should change things.

Other more drastic changes are needed otherwise all the clubs in the Premiership will become playthings of the megarich with no concern or thought for the ''common'' fan.

Stop all loans now, have a restriction on the total number of players able to be signed for a club. At present a squad of 25 has to be named but the clubs can have 50 players signed on, many of which are loaned out. This restricts quality players being able to be signed by lower Premiership clubs, and, on another front, greatly hinders the development of English players (Adam Johnson etc.).

Only the rules of the competition can protect all of the clubs taking part in it otherwise money will rule far too strongly.

[quote user="City1st"]

Some of us well remember the sight of a large number of over excited farmhands waving money about at Carrow Road some years back. Our dimwitted neighbours had just learnt that their club had been handed over to some anonymous multi billionaire who was going to give them £12m (much of which was to be used to meet ongoing debts). Some of us also remember a small number of halfwits on here saying that we should do the same ie run our club into the ground and bankrupt it so it has to be handed over for a pittance. Yes, we got it wrong by not copying THEIR model. Though some might argue that the £150m we will receive in two seasons suggests otherwise.

Many may wish to rush into some deal as the Financial fair Play rules slowly begin to bite. Others are no more than basket cases like Forest and the binners who have little choice but to accept the terms, whatever they might be, of someone who is able to keep them afloat.. Rangers and Pompey should give fair warning to that.

Be careful what you wish for.

[/quote]

Suffolk farmhands, Norfolk farmhands ......... what''s the difference ? Why do you use "farmhands" as some form of insult ?

Who''s wishing for anything City 1st?

I was making the point that at some point in the future there will be 14-16 clubs in the premiership backed with large money, leaving 4-6 spots for the rest of the clubs.

I believe and have for a long time that all leagues must bring in a salary cap, the same for every club in that league and squad size. Say 25 player for the year and 20 million cap on salaries.

It was meant ''ironically'' as everyone knows ''tahn'' fans are all cockneys, innit geezer

ps don''t take it too seriously, I don''t

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

May i remind you Butler of what Alan Bowkett said when asked about prospective buyers of NCFC but i confess i am not sure whether it was at last years AGM or on a webchat.

It was words similar to "we have had several people express an interest but before i do business with anyone i like to see the colour of their money but as yet nobody has proved they have any".

Now are you saying that our illustrious Chairman with business nous at a very high level in the city ( in other words the financial world in London) and who virtually every fan holds in the highest esteem has bought into the conspiracy that Delia will not sell her dolls house.

But, you overlook the disaster that has befallen us resulting from our club not havin an ''hinvester''

people like Butler, Cluckwit and others have been proved correct about our lack of ''hambition''

how much are we spending on having people count that Â£150m, having to cope with season ticket waiting lists, club shop clogged up with folk wanting to buy City merchandise ?

we are doomed, we need a Marcus Evans to guide us out of this mess

What no-one seems to mention is that the more ''super rich'' clubs there are, the more risk that one of them will be relegated, potentially turning that club on it''s head, financially.    If you have 20 clubs in the prem - all of them rich - there are still three that have to go down each season.  

Even if Norwich were to get millions in investment, the fact that there are more and more clubs with money means that some are bound to fail, sooner or later with the potential pitfalls of a Portsmouth, etc etc.  We are much better to be as we are,  now that we have debt under control.    Even if we get relegated, being in a strong financial and business set up would help us to put in a strong team for being re-promoted.    It''s not that I''m unambitious about what I want for our club, but  I  would far rather be living in the real world as opposed to the world of some super rich so and so who is ''playing'' with our club.     Delia has put in money as have others, more to save the club than anything else,  but now it is on an even keel, a sustainable approach is what is necessary.

It does not mean that we can''t have seasons where we do really well and compete at the highest level.  We can.   It simply means we won''t be one of those  QPR type clubs that now seem to think theye are guarenteed safety because of their money.   As has been shown time and time again, money does not necessarily buy you success - at the best its a gamble.  (Leeds Utd??)      

Let''s stay in the real world and let the Forests and  Readings have their  15 minutes of fame, while we continue to bulid and maintain on a sustainable basis.      We have one of the best clubs in the country - and it will always attract players - as long as we carry on as we are and not try and force ourselves on to the gravy train.  It would only end in tears.    We are in an era where common sense is returning to finances in all walks of life,  and our club is echoing this and is also being successful.   We are winners in every sense.    There is NO pressure to find investors.   We simply keep calm and carry on.   Simples.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

May i remind you Butler of what Alan Bowkett said when asked about prospective buyers of NCFC but i confess i am not sure whether it was at last years AGM or on a webchat.

It was words similar to "we have had several people express an interest but before i do business with anyone i like to see the colour of their money but as yet nobody has proved they have any".

Now are you saying that our illustrious Chairman with business nous at a very high level in the city ( in other words the financial world in London) and who virtually every fan holds in the highest esteem has bought into the conspiracy that Delia will not sell her dolls house.

[/quote]

You may try reading the last line again (with the required smiley face)

Have I said anything about Delia...NO.It''s you doing your best to stir again. It was a reference to a statement made by our chairman.

Is that the same chairman you did not want?

Pete deleted your last post and my reply he will proably do the same to this one.

Try stalking someone other that Tangy , Bly or I , you never know you might find it more enjoyable.

[quote user="City1st"]

But, you overlook the disaster that has befallen us resulting from our club not havin an ''hinvester''

people like Butler, Cluckwit and others have been proved correct about our lack of ''hambition''

how much are we spending on having people count that Â£150m, having to cope with season ticket waiting lists, club shop clogged up with folk wanting to buy City merchandise ?

we are doomed, we need a Marcus Evans to guide us out of this mess

[/quote]

Please find where I have said this!

Unfortunately you seem to believe what other people put down as my opinion.

All this stalking can''t be good for you! We have had accusations of  posters children being stalked, we have Tilly apparently stalking Tangy, Bly and I. And then there''s Bly and BWstalking Tilly and Tilly stalking Kathy! Me? Well I can''t even tell the difference between stalk and Butler[*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

All this stalking can''t be good for you! We have had accusations of  posters children being stalked, we have Tilly apparently stalking Tangy, Bly and I. And then there''s Bly and BWstalking Tilly and Tilly stalking Kathy! Me? Well I can''t even tell the difference between stalk and Butler[*-)]

[/quote]

Surprise,surprise!![:D]