Sign in to follow this  
Hucka Hucka Huckerby

Someone put my mind at ease?

I have just read the Steve Morison interview from Austria. It''s all the usual pre season speel you''d expect... One sentence though frightened the life out of me.

"The Welsh international revealed his team mates have responded well to Hughton''s more relaxed approach".

Someone reassure me this isn''t going to be a case of the strict teacher has left so we''ll mess around in class because the new teacher has no control... please?

Doesn''t mean that at all, you could interpret it to mean that.

There is clearly benefits from a more relaxed approach, the players are more at ease, feel less pressure and can perform better because of that. It could work the opposite way, but so could a strict approach, the players might not like that and not perform as well because they are under too much pressure.

Just because Hughton''s more relaxed, it doesn''t mean he can''t get tough when he needs to and he won''t allow players to get the better of him. Look at some of the Egos he worked with at Newcastle he was able to control all of them well enough.

I think it''s more along the lines of Lambert wouldn''t given them Day Three of the training camp to have a head tennis tournament after what some of the players described as ''the hardest pre-season run we''ve ever done''. It''s also been said Hughton prefers to include ballwork as opposed to straight fitness, so I''m sure it''s nothing to worry about [:)]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Doesn''t mean that at all, you could interpret it to mean that.

There is clearly benefits from a more relaxed approach, the players are more at ease, feel less pressure and can perform better because of that. It could work the opposite way, but so could a strict approach, the players might not like that and not perform as well because they are under too much pressure.[/quote]This team seemed to respond pretty well to that pressure.

Hucka

I am sure the players are enjoying having a Manager who likes to make training enjoyable. I think our lot will respond well to CH and his methods.

Lambert wasnt around a lot on the training ground so I understand and when he was there didnt make it a fun place to be!

I would think this is more a case of the club (which must surely ok all interviews/press releases) having a dig at hughtons predecessor. I personally have always worked better with a relaexedboss who treats me a an adult rather than a bully

Good example where a strict approach doesn''t pay off was the "concentration camp" the England players were stuck in in the 2010 World Cup.If you read some of the player''s tweets this week you will see that they have been worked very hard with three strenuous training sessions a day.

Hughton needs to meet the players and learn about them as well, they at a training camp abroad. I''m prepared to say it won''t always be this relaxed

"Someone reassure me this isn''t going to be a case of the strict teacher has left so we''ll mess around in class because the new teacher has no control"

If you are capable of making up such nonsense then i doubt it is reassurance you need

.......... maybe it is someone to explain that things are what they are written as. It''s as simple as that.

Oh for goodness sake. This from the poster who does''t make personal attacks on other posters. A liitle decorum sir, please! You are obvioulsy an intelligent chap and you make some well reasoned points but is it really too much to ask for a little restraint. No doubt this post will prompt another outburst but really, enough is enough!

And I''m getting worried because I am not having anything to worrey about, even my season ticket arrived so not worried about that so what can I worrey about, its very worrying not knowing, does anyone else have the same worry, I would be very worried if I was the only one who has this worry  

Optimum performance comes whilst mentally operating ‘in the zone’ – which is at a level that lies below that of simply ‘trying too hard’. A good example of this is Wayne Rooney at the Euro’s; Roy Hodgson was quoted as saying Rooney (anxious that he was not match fit like the others due to his suspension) ‘needed to be dragged off the training pitches’ each day prior to playing.

During the quarter final game against Italy Rooney’s performance never got anywhere near what we all know he can do. His personal focus at that point appeared to be more akin to ‘trying not to fail’ which is detrimental to peak performance. As an example of performing well whilst in a more relaxed state (the commentary suggests he was aware of his imminent substitution) he produced this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTzc8dhUGg8

Having played and coached for many years at the top level it seems to me that Hughton knows full well where the optimum point of player mind-set is. At Newcastle his teams were well-set out and when they got ahead they usually completed the task of securing the 3 points – often scoring more than a single goal in the process too.

Personally I think we’re in for another solid season…

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Optimum performance comes whilst mentally operating ‘in the zone’ – which is at a level that lies below that of simply ‘trying too hard’. A good example of this is Wayne Rooney at the Euro’s; Roy Hodgson was quoted as saying Rooney (anxious that he was not match fit like the others due to his suspension) ‘needed to be dragged off the training pitches’ each day prior to playing. During the quarter final game against Italy Rooney’s performance never got anywhere near what we all know he can do. His personal focus at that point appeared to be more akin to ‘trying not to fail’ which is detrimental to peak performance. As an example of performing well whilst in a more relaxed state (the commentary suggests he was aware of his imminent substitution) he produced this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTzc8dhUGg8 Having played and coached for many years at the top level it seems to me that Hughton knows full well where the optimum point of player mind-set is. At Newcastle his teams were well-set out and when they got ahead they usually completed the task of securing the 3 points – often scoring more than a single goal in the process too. Personally I think we’re in for another solid season…

[/quote]

Agree with all this.   Lambert''s approach was fascinating though.   He often mentioned fear as a factor in his philosophy - the fear of losing that drives him to be ultra competetive.   His skill was in channelling that fear into a positive energy - something which is not easy to do.   Fear often has the opposite effect, making individuals and teams play worse. Lamberts fights the negativity and fear, producing positive results.   Were the team ever in the zone under Lambert?  Sometimes, but it was a bit hit or miss.   There was always an underlying tension in Lambert''s team performances.

Hughton, as has been said will have a different approach -  one that should allow the players to be "in the zone" more often and play without fear being a factor.   That is the great skill.  

Lambert fought the fear.  Hughton will play without fear.   A great difference in attitude. 

It should be interesting!

I think so much of Lambert''s philosophy is great when things are going well. The only real dip we had in results in all his time with us was from the moment when we got knocked out of the FA Cup last season and many only seem to remember the quality performances against Spurs and Arsenal from that period but i do think there were a few cracks starting to appear and maybe that was why he felt it time to move on.I suspect his method could get found out big time if Villa have a sticky patch next season and the players stop believing that what he is doing will get results.

[quote user="pete_norw"]And I''m getting worried because I am not having anything to worrey about, even my season ticket arrived so not worried about that so what can I worrey about, its very worrying not knowing, does anyone else have the same worry, I would be very worried if I was the only one who has this worry  [/quote]

I am worried McNally is not answering tweets about the Lambert compo. What about the seats in the Hotel corner or how Aston Villa are getting on with their pre season friendlies ?......if you really sit and think about it there are plenty of things to be worried about. [:D]

My impression is that CH has got the blend about right. He has ten years more experience than Lambert and more experienced assistants, one of whom has been a manager himself. They all appear to be hands on with the players and this could make a big difference.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="pete_norw"]And I''m getting worried because I am not having anything to worrey about, even my season ticket arrived so not worried about that so what can I worrey about, its very worrying not knowing, does anyone else have the same worry, I would be very worried if I was the only one who has this worry  [/quote]

I am worried McNally is not answering tweets about the Lambert compo. What about the seats in the Hotel corner or how Aston Villa are getting on with their pre season friendlies ?......if you really sit and think about it there are plenty of things to be worried about. [:D]

[/quote]

Oh bloody hell, I''m getting worried again now