Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Chrissy Martin to stay

He''s one of those frustating players who always seems to be just falling short of doing brilliant crowd pleasing things on the pitch. You see the idea light up but the execution just falls short for some reason, whether it be a pass, dribble or a shot at goal (he hits the woodwork a crazy amount of times).

[quote user="Wiz"]I''d be dead chuffed if Super Chrissy stayed, I think he could be huge for us.[/quote]Only if we find ourselves in League 1 again Wiz , Palace have hardly been knocking our door down for his signature this summer have they .Martin just is not that good and i would not want him at Championship level let alone Prem .

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="Wiz"]I''d be dead chuffed if Super Chrissy stayed, I think he could be huge for us.[/quote]

Only if we find ourselves in League 1 again Wiz , Palace have hardly been knocking our door down for his signature this summer have they .Martin just is not that good and i would not want him at Championship level let alone Prem .
[/quote]

No, but Burnley have apparently mate.

Chris Martin is a weird one. He is a talented footballer and definitely has something about him. I would also argue that he is one of the best finishers at the club. You put him in front of the goals he will usually stick it away. I think the Colchester goal on an absolute quagmire of a pitch illustrated that. Very few players could have buried that like he did.

However I just don''t see where he fits into the current squad. If you wanted someone to lead the line you would instantly look at Holt or Morison before him. If you wanted someone to offer pace and a threat in behind Vaughan and Jackson would also be ahead of him in the queue as he certainly isnt the quickest.

His biggest asset is his ability to play as the link man between midfield and attack. But again I think you would say Hoolahan is probably ahead of him in that regard. I haven''t seen Jacob Butterfield play yet but all accounts he would also give Chris Martin a strong run for his money in that creative role. Jonny Howson has also enjoyed great success for Leeds in that role off the striker (but I personally prefer him in a deeper lying role).

He''s only played 4 games but in one of those games - against Chelsea I thought he played & looked as good as any of the Chelsea players - good feet, intelligent movement and passing. He may have been unlucky that in the games he played, the team played a system that didn''t suit him. Against Chelsea, it was obvious the team wasn''t expected to win & was sent out to just "go for it" & enjoy the game - this may have suited Martin''s style better. If given a run in the side, it may allowed him to build up his confidence and output more consistent performances.Should be retained but suits an attacking midfield role. Hoolahan needs a backup. Martin is capable. 

Forget any thoughts of Chris Martin making it in the Prem with us.  We are going to part-ex him plus cash for Snodgrass.  Remember you heard it here first![;)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Forget any thoughts of Chris Martin making it in the Prem with us.  We are going to part-ex him plus cash for Snodgrass.  Remember you heard it here first![;)][/quote]

Hope so, and the move would be good for him, suits the Leeds mentality

[quote user="Hog"]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Forget any thoughts of Chris Martin making it in the Prem with us.  We are going to part-ex him plus cash for Snodgrass.  Remember you heard it here first![;)][/quote]

Hope so, and the move would be good for him, suits the Leeds mentality

[/quote]

Agreed

Thought he done pretty well in the 4 games he played for us last season. I really rate his link up play and holding up the ball. He isn''t strong enough or quick enough to be an out and out striker.

I really like CM and would love him to do well in the prem, but my head says he''s not quite good enough. Add on some real pace, and you''ve got a terrific player.

Big fan of Chris Martin! Has a very versitile game, holds the ball up well, quick feet, pace and as Lambert has quoted, "Norwich City''s best finisher". So glad he wants to stay, hope he gets a chance. On the topic of people getting chances, I hope Simon Lappin gets a run out this season. He has been such a loyal character in the squad; obviously loyalty doesn''t match up to a starting position; but I think he offers us a cunning and distinct style of play when he''s on the left. Cracking delivery, think both lads deserve a fresh start,

Lazy, slow and at best a lower Championship level player. No room for sentiment anymore, he''s had his chance....

[quote user="Victor Segura and the Yellow Cards"]The boy Chris really does divide opinion, on the one hand we''ve got Cody''s dad Paul Moy saying he isn''t up to it, others saying he deserves a bite, others comparing his talent to David Bentley.... He''s better than Cody for sure, he has the ability to play tip of the diamond, shoots well, lacks a yard of pace but perhaps suits that deeper role. I certainly wouldn''t press for him to start ges at the moment, nor Would I be devastated if he left, however, I think he''s a better footballer than people give him credit for, definitely better than the likes of Jarvis and Crow who were around the last time.[/quote]

Poor argument as usual as people use Cody to justify Martin being a Prem player.  Cody is not in the Prem but his pace, attitude, heading ability and bravery is superior to Martin. Tough but true. Not opinion but fact. The attribute where Martin is superior is that he''s from Norfolk and came through Norwich youth team.

''not opinion but fact''

For goodness sake, ITS YOUR OPINION it is not fact, get over your self. The fact you have just said that means you should be ignored. You can''t say your opinion is fact, its quite frankly pathetic. Thanks for coming out and saying it, makes it much easier to just ignore your posts from now on.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Chris Martin is NOT the best finisher at the club[/quote]

Somebody said it once so it must be true. Lambert ?  [:D]

Championship/league 1 player for me. There''s no point giving him another chance, he''s had enough and he is also not young anymore. 
He has support because he is a local boy, but if this was a player we had picked up for £1M we would all be calling for his head. he did a job in league 1 but was poor in the championship, there is no way of covering that up - i have used the argument before that he is the best finisher at the club but we have never seen this, in our championship promotion season he missed soo many opportunities it actually got quite laughable during one game when he had a 1 on 1 and passed it to the keeper, luckily Jackson went on a scoring spree and his goals proved vital.
He is not cut out for the prem, no point wasting the wage because he''s a local boy who somehow might become prem class despite never showing that potential.
If we get half a mill for him i would be very happy. 
We need better strikers than this, it''s becoming a vital position to improve now, there is no guarantee Holt will score 15 or so goals again, who knows what Morrison is going to turn up and none of the other strikers have ever looked like scoring more than a few in the prem. I expect a large chunk of our budget is being saved for this position

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''not opinion but fact'' For goodness sake, ITS YOUR OPINION it is not fact, get over your self. The fact you have just said that means you should be ignored. You can''t say your opinion is fact, its quite frankly pathetic. Thanks for coming out and saying it, makes it much easier to just ignore your posts from now on.[/quote]

Come on then. So in your opinion is Martin''s pace, heading ability and attitude superior to Martin''s ?

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Chris Martin is NOT the best finisher at the club[/quote]

Somebody said it once so it must be true. Lambert ?  [:D]

[/quote]

In his opinion, and he got two successive promotions and a mid table premiership place, so his opinion is more valid when it comes to such matters than anyones on here.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Victor Segura and the Yellow Cards"]The boy Chris really does divide opinion, on the one hand we''ve got Cody''s dad Paul Moy saying he isn''t up to it, others saying he deserves a bite, others comparing his talent to David Bentley.... He''s better than Cody for sure, he has the ability to play tip of the diamond, shoots well, lacks a yard of pace but perhaps suits that deeper role. I certainly wouldn''t press for him to start ges at the moment, nor Would I be devastated if he left, however, I think he''s a better footballer than people give him credit for, definitely better than the likes of Jarvis and Crow who were around the last time.[/quote]

Poor argument as usual as people use Cody to justify Martin being a Prem player.  Cody is not in the Prem but his pace, attitude, heading ability and bravery is superior to Martin. Tough but true. Not opinion but fact. The attribute where Martin is superior is that he''s from Norfolk and came through Norwich youth team.

[/quote]
Agree with Paul for once- think that could be twice in my life time- i''m getting scarred!!

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''not opinion but fact'' For goodness sake, ITS YOUR OPINION it is not fact, get over your self. The fact you have just said that means you should be ignored. You can''t say your opinion is fact, its quite frankly pathetic. Thanks for coming out and saying it, makes it much easier to just ignore your posts from now on.[/quote]

Come on then. So in your opinion is Cody''s pace, heading ability and attitude superior to Martin''s ?

[/quote]

His heading ability is better than Cody Macs. And no he isn''t faster, but pace doesn''t make a player, you don''t need pace to succeed. And to be honest, I don''t particularly rate Cody Macs attitude, yeah he runs around a lot, has the ability to finish, but he''s too all over the place.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Jeez Paul, Cody couldn''t hack it, accept it.

Until Ruddy got sent off at Chelsea, Martin was our best player and he only came off for tactical reasons.

Don''t know where this myth Martin can''t head the ball comes from. He is a pretty decent header of the ball. It was against WBA at home I think, nearly all the long balls were aimed at him, not Holt, because Holt doesn''t try and head the ball in those situations. And Martin was winning most of the headers.

I very much doubt he would be "Super Chrissy Martin" or defended at all in fact if he came from London.

And Stoke at home, after Barnetts sending off, Chris Martin continuously chased long balls/clearances, that were no where near him. Another myth, that he puts in no effort, misguided opinion once again.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]His heading ability is better than Cody Macs. And no he isn''t faster, but pace doesn''t make a player, you don''t need pace to succeed. And to be honest, I don''t particularly rate Cody Macs attitude, yeah he runs around a lot, has the ability to finish, but he''s too all over the place.[/quote]

Martin''s heading ability better than Cody ? You''re having a laugh.

[quote user="Hog"]I very much doubt he would be "Super Chrissy Martin" or defended at all in fact if he came from London.[/quote]

Yeah I love people from Beccles or where ever he is from. I don''t care wether a player is from Norwich or anywhere else, if there a Norwich player i''ll support them.

And Paul Moy, your the one having a laugh.