Sign in to follow this  
Canarygeorge

Our 25 player squad.

I was looking at our squad, regarding the 25 senior players that have to be named, and we only have 20 senior players at the moment, and it could be a lot less than that if, as seems likely, more players are sold or released in the coming weeks.

As far as i know, youngsters, Rudd, Steer, Francomb, maybe Ayala not sure, Korey Smith, & Adeyemi, don''t have to be named in the 25.

So, before any other players leave there are already 5 vacant senior spaces, which means we are very likely going to be very busy in the transfer market in the next few weeks.

Below is our current squad, with squad number & age.

# age

1 GK John Ruddy 25

13 GK Declan Rudd 21

31 GK Jed Steer 19

2 D Russell Martin 28

20 D Leon Barnett 27

22 D Elliott Ward 30

23 D Marc Tierney 26

26 D Daniel Ayala 21

28 D George Francomb 20

33 D Ryan Bennett 22

4 MF Bradley Johnson 25

7 MF Andrew Crofts 28

11 MF Andrew Surman 26

12 MF Anthony Pilkington 24

14 MF Wes Hoolahan 30

15 MF David Fox 29

17 MF Elliott Bennett 23

18 MF Korey Smith 21

19 MF Simon Lappin 29

24 MF Jonathon Howson 24

27 MF Tom Adeyemi 20

5 F Steve Morison 28

8 F James Vaughan 23

9 F Grant Holt 31

10 F Simeon Jackson 25

16 F Chris Martin 24

Ayala was born in 1990, and so he will count towards the 25 man squad. Smith, Adeyemi, Rudd, Steer and Francomb do not count towards it though.I wouldn''t be surprised to see Crofts, Lappin and Chris Martin leaving. I know others have spoken about Ward and Barnett leaving as well, but I think they will probably stay. Ryan Bennett has shown great talent, but has also shown some youthful naivete, while Ayala hasn''t got a great record with injuries and I''m sure that will figure in decision-making. Barnett and Ward will probably want to set out to prove themselves under a new manager.For sentimental reasons, I would be sad to see any of those three leave, though I cannot see them playing much football next year. A lot will depend on who comes in though.What I am most excited about over the next year is seeing how Elliott Bennett and Anthony Pilkington develop. I think they may become really amazing players for us in the next season or two.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]Ayala was born in 1990, and so he will count towards the 25 man squad. Smith, Adeyemi, Rudd, Steer and Francomb do not count towards it though.

I wouldn''t be surprised to see Crofts, Lappin and Chris Martin leaving. I know others have spoken about Ward and Barnett leaving as well, but I think they will probably stay. Ryan Bennett has shown great talent, but has also shown some youthful naivete, while Ayala hasn''t got a great record with injuries and I''m sure that will figure in decision-making. Barnett and Ward will probably want to set out to prove themselves under a new manager.

For sentimental reasons, I would be sad to see any of those three leave, though I cannot see them playing much football next year. A lot will depend on who comes in though.

What I am most excited about over the next year is seeing how Elliott Bennett and Anthony Pilkington develop. I think they may become really amazing players for us in the next season or two.
[/quote]

Didn''t ward sign a new contract along with david fox

Agreed - Crofts, Martin and Lappin have to go.

Crofts - Just not up to Prem standard

Martin - I would rather see our best Youth with potential givent he 5th spot than Martin

Lappin - Just not up to Prem standard

All 3 have been amazing for us though and it would be a shame to see them move on, but purely for football reasons we needs to be looking at a higher standard if we want to maintain Prem footy.

Oh and I would sell one of either Ward or Barnett and get another CB in. I like them as much as each other, but I also think they are decent Championship quality, not up to Prem standard.

While Barnett always worries me when he has the ball at his feet I remember him having some great games towards the start of the season. Wonder what happened for him to fall so far out of favour.

When Barnett was here on loan he was a revelation he stood head and shoulders above our centre halves at that point.We have alot of room in that 25 and will need to fill it with the long season ahead, certainly a couple of additions to all departments are needed

[quote user="Downloads"]

Agreed - Crofts, Martin and Lappin have to go.

Crofts - Just not up to Prem standard

Martin - I would rather see our best Youth with potential givent he 5th spot than Martin

Lappin - Just not up to Prem standard

All 3 have been amazing for us though and it would be a shame to see them move on, but purely for football reasons we needs to be looking at a higher standard if we want to maintain Prem footy.

[/quote]That''s not what I was saying - you are not agreeing with me!I think Crofts and Lappin ARE up to premiership standard, and they proved that last season, on the whole. I just can''t see them getting many games if we go in for new players. All of our players were premier standard last season. As for Chris Martin, I think he has the talent to make it in the premier league BUT he will never do that if he''s not given a run in the team - and i can''t see that happening.

We have to improve on what we have, that is football and that is where a football club can bring the power back from the players... more players are now available on free''s or released than ever. But we do have some players that will nto get much game time, but are invaluable to the squad. But any player has their price and also their own playing desires.I believe we may sell a player or two and how good it will be to see money coming in from player sales. If we can stay up next season I would imagine a few more will move on for an odd million etc.We need to bring players in and we have been told our budget is the biggest we have ever had, well it needs to be. We need to not rest on our laurels this team needs help to achieve what it did last season as this years premiership is a totally different kettle of fish. We are minnows financially this season and certainly there are less weak clubs as there were last season with poor management teams, owner issues etc.Crofts and Lappin will be part of our squad but as I have said previously.We buy in first teamers, our current first teamers move to the bench, our bench players to move to the squad and our squad players move further down and possibly out. This is one thing of football I do like you are constantly evolving and you should always be looking to improve on what you have. Some positions competition moves you on and at some times, like this season you invest in genuine first team talent.

Must have been watching a different Crofts to me last season, I would say he definitely ain''t up to it.

As for Chris Martin, what has he done in his many games in the Championship over the years to suggest he can be a Prem player? Maybe there''s some hidden talent there unlocked, but I havne''t seen it in the Championship.

I know age is taken into consideration but, these are his seasons in the Championship...

20 games 5 goals

10 games 0 goals

32 games 6 goals

28 games 7 goals

Above is just taken from Wiki - So assuming that is correct.

In the lower leagues he''s had a better ratio, but in the Championship he hasn''t shown it yet. He may show it in a couple of years, but I don''t think we should hold onto a player just hoping, when they are 23 years of age. We are in the Prem now and are not short of money, so we should be looking for better.

All in my humble opinion.

PS. I love Lappin and wouldn''t care if he stayed.

[quote user="Mahogany"]While Barnett always worries me when he has the ball at his feet I remember him having some great games towards the start of the season. Wonder what happened for him to fall so far out of favour.[/quote]I think your memory is playing tricks on you Mahogany. Barnett was given a real lesson in defending at the start of the season, he never featured again after players came back from injury because he was quite awful, premier strikers were killing him. People have to remember that we were playing are 4/5th choice CBs at the start of the season and that cost us a fair few points.Defence is the weakest area of the squad by miles, Martin, Bennett and Tierney are the only players from that list i am happy to see start next season - i have not included Ayala because he didn''t set the world alight in his few games, in fact he made as many silly mistakes as the other CBs have, but he is supposed to become good so happy for him to stay too. That leaves us with 4 prem quality defenders, that needs to be doubled, however i wouldn''t want us to spend all our money on defence so would be happy with two full backs and 1 CB leaving us with some cash for another forward and perhaps a midfielder/winger.Ha, there''s actually a lot of work to be done to this squad, more than i was expecting. I imagine we could spend something like this:LB - 2M  (?)RB- 2M  (gunter)CB- 4/5 M (davies)Winger - 2M (etherington)DM - 4M/loan (frimpong)Striker- 5/6M (Rhodes)I imagine that''s most of our budget, there are other players would love to see improve the 25 man squad, such as Snoodgrass and Lansbury

[quote user="Canarygeorge"]By the way, Declan Rudd & Korey Smith were both born on the same day, 16-01-1991. They could be twins! ok, ok, i know, only joking.[/quote]My dear Canarygeorge, many a true word is oft spoken in jest. Whilst being extremely unlikely in this particular case, it is possible, albeit mathematically nearer zero than one according to the laws of probability, for twins to be born of different colours.There was a story in the press over the last couple of years where a mother gave birth to twins, one white and one black. It transpired there was negro blood in her family from several generations previously which was hitherto unknown.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Must have been watching a different Crofts to me last season, I would say he definitely ain''t up to it.

As for Chris Martin, what has he done in his many games in the Championship over the years to suggest he can be a Prem player? Maybe there''s some hidden talent there unlocked, but I havne''t seen it in the Championship.

I know age is taken into consideration but, these are his seasons in the Championship...

20 games 5 goals

10 games 0 goals

32 games 6 goals

28 games 7 goals

Above is just taken from Wiki - So assuming that is correct.

In the lower leagues he''s had a better ratio, but in the Championship he hasn''t shown it yet. He may show it in a couple of years, but I don''t think we should hold onto a player just hoping, when they are 23 years of age. We are in the Prem now and are not short of money, so we should be looking for better.

All in my humble opinion.

PS. I love Lappin and wouldn''t care if he stayed.

[/quote]Crofts was good last season in my opinion. There were better players keeping him out of the team though, and that is likely to be even more the case this season. I would be happy if he stayed, though that may not be the case. Chris Martin - I would like to see him get a chance to play next season, just simply because I feel he has a point to prove. Last time he had a point to prove, he really proved it! His game isn''t about goals really, as we know, so I would imagine he will only stay if one of our strikers in on top-striking form so that he is not forced into the role of goalscorer. To be honest, my head tells me he will probably leave.Lappin - Premiership quality? yes. Can we find better players meaning he won''t get a game? possibly.Does anyone know where there is a comprehensive list of players contract expiries? Can''t remember who has been offered extensions and who hasn''t?

All contracts have been dealt with now. Ward, Fox, Jackson and K.Smith got new ones, Whitbread and Wilbrahamovic were released and Drury chose Leeds.

Crofts, he wasn''t good. It''s a shame because he has some great qualities, but for me, him more than anyone else looked like a Champinship player.

I thought Martin did well when he played, didn''t set the world alight, but he was never going to. I think he could do a obj and if Holt leaves he should definitely be kept on as we''ve already lost one striker, and we probably can''t afford to buy two.

Lappin did a great job when he played, and with 20/21 players in the squad, no reason why he needs to leave.

Barnett should probably go, especially if we can get a bit of money for him.

just because they have new contracts doesn''t mean they won''t get sold or loaned out, they were renewed before Hughton signed. Most likely he will choose who he wants to stay and go.

I''ve had a look and found this thread http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2628209/ShowPost.aspx

Barnett was in the Top 10 defenders in the Premiership until the end of October, according to PPI. Probably would''ve have been higher if it wasn''t for that ridiculous red card and pen given against him v Stoke.

[quote user="Mahogany"]I''ve had a look and found this thread http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2628209/ShowPost.aspx Barnett was in the Top 10 defenders in the Premiership until the end of October, according to PPI. Probably would''ve have been higher if it wasn''t for that ridiculous red card and pen given against him v Stoke.[/quote]

I think Barnett was unfortunate in some ways.   It was early in the season when he played - this was when the rubbishing of our players was at its height by the doom mongers.   But - all the defenders made mistakes all season and the sending off (which was unjustified) just made him look worse.     He did make mistakes, but he also made some superb tackles, interceptions and blocks in all the matches he played in - hence his high place in the stats.     Lost his place to Whitbread - who also came in and made mistakes leading to goals.   I''m not saying that Barnett should be a number one choice in defence - but he never let us down - certainly no more than Whitbread and Ward who also made mistakes leading to goals.   

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Mahogany"]I''ve had a look and found this thread http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2628209/ShowPost.aspx Barnett was in the Top 10 defenders in the Premiership until the end of October, according to PPI. Probably would''ve have been higher if it wasn''t for that ridiculous red card and pen given against him v Stoke.[/quote]

I think Barnett was unfortunate in some ways.   It was early in the season when he played - this was when the rubbishing of our players was at its height by the doom mongers.   But - all the defenders made mistakes all season and the sending off (which was unjustified) just made him look worse.     He did make mistakes, but he also made some superb tackles, interceptions and blocks in all the matches he played in - hence his high place in the stats.     Lost his place to Whitbread - who also came in and made mistakes leading to goals.   I''m not saying that Barnett should be a number one choice in defence - but he never let us down - certainly no more than Whitbread and Ward who also made mistakes leading to goals.   

If we''re talking back-up... I''d rather have Barnett than ward personally...

[/quote]

[/quote]Glad I''m not the only person who hasn''t written him off. I think Barnett will play a good role for us in the future if given the chance

[quote user="Kolin Kob"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Glad I''m not the only person who hasn''t written him off. I think Barnett will play a good role for us in the future if given the chance
[/quote]

The sad thing is Barnetts game is of a pretty high standard, apart from his distrubtion which is actually poor if he could actually consistently pass the ball well he''d probably be a first choice. Trouble is being confortable on the ball and knowing when to just kick it is a massive thing at this level which is one of the reasons Martin and Whitbred looked better on the whole than Barnett.

I think Barnett was unfortunate in some ways.   It was early in the season when he played - this was when the rubbishing of our players was at its height by the doom mongers.   But - all the defenders made mistakes all season and the sending off (which was unjustified) just made him look worse.     He did make mistakes, but he also made some superb tackles, interceptions and blocks in all the matches he played in -

[/quote]

You could change the word "Barnett" for DeLaet IMO.

Having regard to the OP, we currently have 26 professionals signed, 21 of who are aged 21 plus, with five players (Rudd, Steer, Francomb, Korey Smity and Adeyemi) being classes as Under 21 (1st January 1991 being the relevant date). We therefore have plenty of scope for additions before numbers become critical

The good news is that if CH can convince Holt to stay, we have an experienced squad which comfortably survived in the PL this year. No radical changes needed, just further strengthening to keep things moving forward under CH.

PL had been talking about 4-5 players and I think that is about right. One or two might go out on loan, but there doesn''t seem to be any need to get rid of players, IMO. Another quality striker, a RB, a LB, perhaps a CB and a holding MF player would round things out nicely for a squad which can start the season much stronger than last season.

I''m sure things will be a little clearer in a week or two. Hughton did say evolution not revolution, but on the other hand he''s bound to have new ideas concerning the squad.  For example, he may prefer an experienced goalie to back-up/fight for the position and send one of the youngsters out on loan.  Or being an ex-defender may think the defence need a good tinkering with to tighten it up.

[quote user="Rootin FerHooten"][quote user="lake district canary"]

I think Barnett was unfortunate in some ways.   It was early in the season when he played - this was when the rubbishing of our players was at its height by the doom mongers.   But - all the defenders made mistakes all season and the sending off (which was unjustified) just made him look worse.     He did make mistakes, but he also made some superb tackles, interceptions and blocks in all the matches he played in -

[/quote]

You could change the word "Barnett" for DeLaet IMO.[/quote]

Agreed. De Laet I thought looked fantastic at times. But you always knew he had one suicidal moment in him which could lead to you conceding. Which sadly as a defender is a pretty major issue.