Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

So its allabout a 3 year contract

Totally with Nutty on this (Sorry Nutty!).

His agent and Holty look as if they have made a major error of judgement but for people to suggest it doesn''t matter if he goes, or indeed will be glad if he goes is unbelievable. As for Morison replacing Holt? That''s got to be a joke!

McNally is spot on with his valuation of Holt. I just think if we get the right Manager in Holty will be happy to use that as the excuse he needs to pull himself out of the hole his agent has dropped him in!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

The way I see it the guy is looking after his future whilst his stock is high. I''m more than happy to have that future sewn up with us. The last three years gets him a lot of good will from me. I find it incredible that he''s getting so much stick for something off the pitch! have a look at his record. It''s phenomenal. Better than Ron Davies.

[/quote]Yes I agree, mostly.But can we afford to have a player maybe in his final crocked off, more often than not? Yes I know none of us can predict the future, but the older a player gets the more likely this could happen.If it was YOUR money would you give him another year?Oh and you can be safe in the knowledge he wanted more money too.[/quote]

It wouldn''t be my money though. I don''t think any outcome will put the club in jeopardy as long as it remains in our wage structure. We might sign a Jamie Cureton this summer which would have a much worse affect than if Holty fades when he''s 33. I don''t care about who earns what Morty just about what happens on the pitch.

[/quote]

Trouble is the two are inter-linked aren''t they Nutty.

Paying '' star '' players often breeds discontent in the dressing room which affects performances on the pitch.

Which works both ways Smithy. Because if we are to bring an established premier player in this summer we will have to pay the rate. Consequently it''s really important to protect the current players. Their place in the structure shouldn''t be affected. it''s a balancing act and I''m glad all I have to do is watch the games!

Realistically, where does Grant go from here?He actually has no options, he''s under contract for another 2 years.McNally says he isn''t for sale, but if another club fancies offering him a 3 year deal then what does a 15 goals a season striker cost? 10 million? Can you see anyone offering that kind of money for him?The only progress I can actually see is Grant telling his agent to STFU and go cap in hand to McNally and talk properly.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Which works both ways Smithy. Because if we are to bring an established premier player in this summer we will have to pay the rate. Consequently it''s really important to protect the current players. Their place in the structure shouldn''t be affected. it''s a balancing act and I''m glad all I have to do is watch the games!

[/quote]

I think the current players are "protected " really well Nutty and this is the only instance I am aware of where things have gone pear shaped, my impression is that the CEO is totally focused on creating a good future for our club and central to that is looking after our players.  I put the current Holt fiasco down mainly to a dodgy agent and to a lack of nouse by Holty. [:)]

If its true that McNally went back to Holt and Payne last week with the offer they wanted and they rejected it then there is no way back Morty. McNally would laugh them out of town if they went back cap in hand.

Bloody agents are ruining this game.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]If its true that McNally went back to Holt and Payne last week with the offer they wanted and they rejected it then there is no way back Morty. McNally would laugh them out of town if they went back cap in hand.

Bloody agents are ruining this game.[/quote]It would certainly be a bit silly playing that game with McNally!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''m with you CJF. If he stays fit he will be an asset at 34. Just ask Iwan! But that extra year means a lot to him at this time.[/quote]This is the concern though. We''ve seen Holty struggle with fitness and weight at the start of every season he''s been with us. Weight is harder to lose the older you get.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]If its true that McNally went back to Holt and Payne last week with the offer they wanted and they rejected it then there is no way back Morty. McNally would laugh them out of town if they went back cap in hand. Bloody agents are ruining this game.[/quote]

I think it could be argued that those really responsible are their not too intelligent employers.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]What chance us signing a decent replacement for Holt.  All because in the last year of his deal he would be 33 years old. Did McNally not see Drogba winning the Champs League for Chelsea at 34.As for the jokes about McNally selling him, finding strikers with the quality to score consistent goals at this level is no mean feat.  Vaughan and Morison up front next season anyone?  We would be Championship by January.[/quote]You cannot compare Drogba with Holt.

Nutty - Sounds like you are being critical of the way the club is run. Foghorn - Drogba is an established Premiership/International player, Holt has had one good season at the top level, whose to say that is not as good as it gets? I do not want Holt to leave and if he does I wish him well, but why do we assume we have to buy an established Premiership player to replace him, Morison was not that far behind in the goal scoring stakes, who says there is not a young, hungry, lower league player who could not step up to the plate or dare I say it a young loanee from a top Premiership side.

The way I see it is that the club will do everything to keep Holt (despite his bellend agent - I hate agents with a passion), if he goes then it will be sad, but not the end of the world........

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]If its true that McNally went back to Holt and Payne last week with the offer they wanted and they rejected it then there is no way back Morty. McNally would laugh them out of town if they went back cap in hand.

Bloody agents are ruining this game.[/quote]It would certainly be a bit silly playing that game with McNally![/quote]

If it is true then it sounds as though "they''ve agreed to the 3 years, I reckon if we say ''no'' we can get a few £grand a week more out of them."