Sign in to follow this  
The Clash

Swans Fan in peace

Your now suffering the same as us two successful managers gone, the difference with Lambert is he threw his toys out of the pram to leave. I hope we both beat Villa twice next season.

Rubbish isn''t it. Think Rodgers and Lambert have both made big mistakes. I look forward to watching them both regret their decisions.

Agreed, tho i can see Rogers going to Liverpool being a step up and i would of understood Lambert going there, but Villa just sticks in the throat, i just feel so fed up

Lambert complained when our (relatively mild) fans started moaning at him, he certainly won''t like it when Villa turn on him.
Rodgers is going to struggle, he needs at least a 5th placed finish that''s like 3 points off 4th place or Liverpool fans will be out for blood.

Don''t really care much, tbh. I now regard Lambert (and Rodgers) along with all the other 17 Prem managers who are not at Norwich. They manage teams that we''ll be looking to take 6 pts off come August.

End of.

Imo, Rodgers and Lambert are the victims of their own success.   Both done well - but only in one premiership season.   The test would have been to build on that success in a second season.    Liverpool and Villa both showing no common sense in going for these two.  I think they will both struggle at the so called ''bigger'' clubs.  The two managers probably thought they couldn''t afford to turn down the opportunities - but the blame will lie with these two ailing clubs that are desperately trying to recreate their former glory days - and with decisions like these they will carry on trying imo.  Like I said - victims.    I won''t feel sorry for the managers if they fail,   they are obviously up for the challenge - I just think they could have been stronger in resisting the clamour for their signatures and waited a year or two to build up their experience at the highest level before going to ''bigger'' clubs.   

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Rubbish isn''t it. Think Rodgers and Lambert have both made big mistakes. I look forward to watching them both regret their decisions.[/quote]That''s what I hope too, f%+* them both...sorry but that''s how I feel now.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]it''ll be interesting to see which one gets the sack first?......probably Rodgers, I''m guessing by Christmas as Liverpools expectations are higher than Villa''s[/quote]Wonder what the odds are for them being sacked by next May.

Uncertain times. At least both Norwich and Swansea clubs have decent people behind the scenes to steady the ship.Villa fans have such low expectations that finishing top half with one or two big wins along the way will see them delighted with Lambert. Rodgers has an altogether more difficult task. Liverpool supporters will want to see them step up to compete with the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea for a Champions League place.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Uncertain times. At least both Norwich and Swansea clubs have decent people behind the scenes to steady the ship.

Villa fans have such low expectations that finishing top half with one or two big wins along the way will see them delighted with Lambert.

Rodgers has an altogether more difficult task. Liverpool supporters will want to see them step up to compete with the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea for a Champions League place.
[/quote]

I can see both sets of fans calling for blood come Christmas and both managers dropping down to the championship, or becoming Pundits for Geoff Stelling, Love the statement on the club official site today, makes me feel a whole lot better, But guess we all knew the response once Lambert had gone bet we have some big name managers  looking at us now.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]We''re pretty p*ssed off at Lambert but you guys must be livid in that Rodgers said only a week or so ago that he wasn''t interested in going to Liverpool.

Still life goes on..........let''s just hope we beat them next season.
[/quote]

yeah its not like paul lambert said he was happy here and then went....oh wait

+1

Liverpool even appointing Rodgers was a little strange. He is good but it kin of shows that they dont bat with the big boys any more.

Liverpool are massive but the money at Man U, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal is another thing altogether.

They need to give Rogers a splurge as large as the one given to KD or its a non starter.

Shifting some of those overpriced signings is also going to be a pain.

i agree LDC, but for ambitious young managers these opportunities might not be there again. They are both facing 2nd year syndrome and if they finished in the relegation zone or even got relegated, their reputation would suffer. They might have missed their chance so they are taking the challenge.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]We''re pretty p*ssed off at Lambert but you guys must be livid in that Rodgers said only a week or so ago that he wasn''t interested in going to Liverpool.Still life goes on..........let''s just hope we beat them next season.[/quote]

yeah its not like paul lambert said he was happy here and then went....oh wait

[/quote]Lambert never said he wouldn''t go to a named club. Rodgers did.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Imo, Rodgers and Lambert are the victims of their own success.   Both done well - but only in one premiership season.   The test would have been to build on that success in a second season.    Liverpool and Villa both showing no common sense in going for these two.  I think they will both struggle at the so called ''bigger'' clubs.  The two managers probably thought they couldn''t afford to turn down the opportunities - but the blame will lie with these two ailing clubs that are desperately trying to recreate their former glory days - and with decisions like these they will carry on trying imo.  Like I said - victims.    I won''t feel sorry for the managers if they fail,   they are obviously up for the challenge - I just think they could have been stronger in resisting the clamour for their signatures and waited a year or two to build up their experience at the highest level before going to ''bigger'' clubs.   

[/quote]

Spot on - couldn''t agree more

I''ve always said my preferred scenario is Paul Lambert spending another season or two with Norwich in the premiership and then taking over the Liverpool job from Dalglish.   I think their respective moves are way too early for both Lambert and Rogers - like a boxer winning his early pro fights and being pushed into taking a title shot before he''s actually proved himself fully capable at the highest levels.

Big Clubs?   At the moment Liverpool are living on their past achievements - but not as much as Villa.   I were nobbut a lad when Villa were a top club, along with Burnley both were among our earliest clubs known in Europe - Liverpool was just a port known by Hamburg seamen!   Today a clubs size is depicted by it''s worldwide fan base - how many villa shirts are sold in Tokyo compared to Man U, Liverpool et al?   I make no mistake in saying the reason Lerner wanted PL was because of PL''s record in gaining success on a shoestring budget.   If PL thinks he''s going to a big club with increased resources he''s in for a shock.   He''s there for money reasons beneficial to the owner and expected to produce rabbits out of a hat with minimum outlay.   A big club? 20 million for players in the premier league - peanuts! if your ambition is to compete with the big boys.

PL''s name was mentioned in connection with the Liverpool job, but only by the press.   The American owners know a lot about business but toss all about football and nobody seems to know who''s advising them on football matters.   For all we know they probably thought trying to understand Kenny''s accent was bad enough and Lamberts accent being the same ruled him out straight away!!!   Dalglish lost his job mainly I think because of the mis-management of the Suarez affair - THAT stupid T shirt and THAT infantile handshake fiasco and the owners want someone fully capable of working with the media and winning over media opinion.   Together with instant success within twelve months of a top 4 finish, the league cup and the FA cup together with an award or two for fair play and a Nobel Peace prize.

A radio Expert compared Rogers'' coming from smaller clubs to the mighty Liverpool to the fact Liverpool got Shankly from Huddersfield - whom he said were a lowly 2nd division club - what he forgot was at that time SO WERE LIVERPOOL!!!   But Shanks was an experienced manager of some years - he had previously been short listed about 5 years previous but was overlooked at that point.   It took Shanks 6 seasons to get Liverpool to Wembley, which was a BIG, BIG thing in those days  - it took Kenny 1 to do it twice.   Let''s look at the record (as they say) - Brendan has a total of only 35 months managing a football club.   7 months at Watford, 6 at Reading and 22 at Swansea.   I am told the foundations for success were laid at Swansea by Martinez and it was a simple case of building on what was already in place.   Lambert on the other hand took over a club in severe trouble.   Brendan got promotion via the play-offs which I always view as a lottery anyway.   Swansea like Norwich have enjoyed a good first season but the important test for both sides is NEXT season - the Premiership Honeymoon is over and this is were the real test of mettle begins in earnest.   It would''ve been the most realistic way to really assess the abilites of both these up and coming managers.

However, we do live in strange times of instant X-Factor style stardom and Celeb Syndromitis which older buggers like me struggle to cope with!!    

As the OP stated, I think their individual successes have gone to their heads a wee bit and blurred their thinking perhaps.   However, I wish them both the very best of fortune with their new challenges - they could both have taken a bridge too far too soon and be in for a very rude awaking but on the other hand could well be very successful - time will tell.   My message to PL would be that going for what you think is good often denies you having the best!   My message to Rogers is - If the crowd start chanting "DALGLISH" you know you''re f****d!!!

Reply to Shankslad:

Good post - as you say the challenge for both clubs is next season, so if both get their managerial appointments right then they could hit the ground running in August - new manager syndrome or whatever it''s called!

What we''ll never know is how Lambert and Rodgers would have fared had they stayed for a second season.

It sucks. But I have to say I''d be feeling a whole lot better if Lambert had gone to Liverpool. Liverpool is understandable. Great fans, Great squad, Massive history and potential.Villa are a mediocre bunch of arrogant dweebs in the most horrible city I''ve ever had the displeasure to visit.