Sign in to follow this  

If Robert Chase had been Chairman right now....

[quote user="Shyster"]

This place would be defunct if it were to left to people all of the same mindset - would you be happy if nobody differed in their views and opinions?   
[/quote]

Totally agree Shyster but surely within that there''s also a responsibility to be truthful?

Why debate this?

Chase is long gone and would be totally out of his depth in the modern game.

Delia has constantly tried to do her best and it''s not her fault that she isn''t rich enough.

Delia and Michael are what we have, they''ve surrounded themselves with good people and we are in as good a position as we have been for nearly 20 years. We''ve lost a manager, let''s hope the same recruitment team can pull another rabbit from the hat.

[quote user="Victor Segura and the Yellow Cards"]Why debate this?

Delia has constantly tried to do her best and it''s not her fault that she isn''t rich enough.

Delia and Michael are what we have, they''ve surrounded themselves with good people and we are in as good a position as we have been for nearly 20 years. We''ve lost a manager, let''s hope the same recruitment team can pull another rabbit from the hat.[/quote]That makes sense.[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Victor Segura and the Yellow Cards"]Why debate this?

Delia and Michael are what we have, they''ve surrounded themselves with good people and we are in as good a position as we have been for nearly 20 years. We''ve lost a manager, let''s hope the same recruitment team can pull another rabbit from the hat.[/quote]That makes sense.[Y][/quote]  No place for him in Cluck''s gang then! [;)]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Cluck Nose."] If Robert Chase had been Chairman right now....[/quote]We''d have the best stadium in the Unibond Premier League.[/quote]

Be fair, we never reached the third tier of football under his Chairmanship. 

[/quote]Selling off all our players, putting Megson in charge... if Chase was still Chairman today we''d look back on the glory days of League One.[/quote]Based on what?Hounded out by the clamour to get a celebrity on board, compared to Smith and Co. being allowed to drag City into the Third Division for the fist time in 50 years?Smith just got lucky and it ain''t gonna happen again in her lifetime... so best she buggers off now before the rot sets in again.[/quote]Based on the state of the club and the terminal decline in which he was taking it.If only Chase "got lucky" when appointing John Deehan.  If only Chase "could have matched Martin O''Neill''s ambition", instead of replacing him with Gary Megson (P32, W5, D10, L17 - a record which makes "Delia Puppet" Bryan Gunn look like Jose Mourinho.)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]Runningsore can feel safe now that the tricycle gang have duly assembled......Everyone ring their bell to let him know he can come out now.[/quote]Just because a group of people share similar ideas, doesn''t make them a gang, or wrong.I''m sure plenty on here are perfectly capable of coming to their own conclusion about your incessant trolling and posting of deliberately polar opposite views just to stir up arguments.Your routine of :-1. Post contaversial view.2. Pick argument.3. Cry "Oh noez, forum gangs"4. Deliberately suck up to certain other idiots to garner "support"5. Slink off once you realise everyone thinks you''re an idiot.is wearing quite thin now.[/quote]

If your interpretation of what ''trolling'' is, is the injection of humour, valid opinion, individualism and controversy into any given debate, then thank f*ck for trolls! This place would be defunct if it were to left to people all of the same mindset - would you be happy if nobody differed in their views and opinions?    [/quote]Some people are better at it than others, you deliberately wind folks up, but on the whole also have valid, well thought out opinions. Cluck lives in a strange fantasy world where he has decided there is a nasty gang of bullies here, and its his job to bully them in turn. Once in a blue moon he''ll post something sensible, but on the whole its just silly name calling and idiocy.

[/quote]You bully me Morty? Don''t make me laugh.......Last time I checked we live in a democracy and while others may not agree with my angle, any amount of effort by you and your bum chums to control  my opinion is a waste of electricity...... your electricity.Besides which... exactly how old were you when the Robert Chase saga kicked off? 15 or 16?... so you were probably still struggling to spell your name at that stage let alone understand the facts of the matter. Couple that with your half brained side kicks and I wouldn''t think you''d amount to an idiot all put together.Save the tough guy crap for the new posters you chase off while busily protecting your little domain. It''s wasted on me I can assure you.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]Runningsore can feel safe now that the tricycle gang have duly assembled......Everyone ring their bell to let him know he can come out now.[/quote]Just because a group of people share similar ideas, doesn''t make them a gang, or wrong.I''m sure plenty on here are perfectly capable of coming to their own conclusion about your incessant trolling and posting of deliberately polar opposite views just to stir up arguments.Your routine of :-1. Post contaversial view.2. Pick argument.3. Cry "Oh noez, forum gangs"4. Deliberately suck up to certain other idiots to garner "support"5. Slink off once you realise everyone thinks you''re an idiot.is wearing quite thin now.[/quote]

If your interpretation of what ''trolling'' is, is the injection of humour, valid opinion, individualism and controversy into any given debate, then thank f*ck for trolls! This place would be defunct if it were to left to people all of the same mindset - would you be happy if nobody differed in their views and opinions?    [/quote]Some people are better at it than others, you deliberately wind folks up, but on the whole also have valid, well thought out opinions. Cluck lives in a strange fantasy world where he has decided there is a nasty gang of bullies here, and its his job to bully them in turn. Once in a blue moon he''ll post something sensible, but on the whole its just silly name calling and idiocy.

[/quote]You bully me Morty? Don''t make me laugh.......Last time I checked we live in a democracy and while others may not agree with my angle, any amount of effort by you and your bum chums to control  my opinion is a waste of electricity...... your electricity.Besides which... exactly how old were you when the Robert Chase saga kicked off? 15 or 16?... so you were probably still struggling to spell your name at that stage let alone understand the facts of the matter. Couple that with your half brained side kicks and I wouldn''t think you''d amount to an idiot all put together.Save the tough guy crap for the new posters you chase off while busily protecting your little domain. It''s wasted on me I can assure you.

[/quote]I''m not the one calling people names here, am I? "Half brained side kicks", "bum chums", this just reinforces the fact that you''re not here to discuss football.You fill your boots mate, but bit of advice, the act is getting old, and very cringeworthy[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]Runningsore can feel safe now that the tricycle gang have duly assembled......Everyone ring their bell to let him know he can come out now.[/quote]Just because a group of people share similar ideas, doesn''t make them a gang, or wrong.I''m sure plenty on here are perfectly capable of coming to their own conclusion about your incessant trolling and posting of deliberately polar opposite views just to stir up arguments.Your routine of :-1. Post contaversial view.2. Pick argument.3. Cry "Oh noez, forum gangs"4. Deliberately suck up to certain other idiots to garner "support"5. Slink off once you realise everyone thinks you''re an idiot.is wearing quite thin now.[/quote]

[/quote]I''m not the one calling people names here, am I? "Half brained side kicks", "bum chums", this just reinforces the fact that you''re not here to discuss football.You fill your boots mate, but bit of advice, the act is getting old, and very cringeworthy[Y][/quote]Dear oh dear. Hypocrisy in full flight.How you''ve been allowed to continue calling all and sundry childish names on here such as ''bellend'' etc. I''ll never know. Luckily I don''t do ''angry'' so I''ll leave you to get on with it..... as usual.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]Runningsore can feel safe now that the tricycle gang have duly assembled......Everyone ring their bell to let him know he can come out now.[/quote]Just because a group of people share similar ideas, doesn''t make them a gang, or wrong.I''m sure plenty on here are perfectly capable of coming to their own conclusion about your incessant trolling and posting of deliberately polar opposite views just to stir up arguments.Your routine of :-1. Post contaversial view.2. Pick argument.3. Cry "Oh noez, forum gangs"4. Deliberately suck up to certain other idiots to garner "support"5. Slink off once you realise everyone thinks you''re an idiot.is wearing quite thin now.[/quote]

[/quote]I''m not the one calling people names here, am I? "Half brained side kicks", "bum chums", this just reinforces the fact that you''re not here to discuss football.You fill your boots mate, but bit of advice, the act is getting old, and very cringeworthy[Y][/quote]Dear oh dear. Hypocrisy in full flight.How you''ve been allowed to continue calling all and sundry childish names on here such as ''bellend'' etc. I''ll never know. Luckily I don''t do ''angry'' so I''ll leave you to get on with it..... as usual.

[/quote]You''re a bell-end.There, you happy?[Y]

Chase wouldn''t still be chairman now even if he wasn''t "Hounded out of the club" as a certain poster would say, if he had stayed there wouldn''t be a Norwich City FC as he would have run us into the ground.

Cluck you started this thread to make the point that had Robert Chase been in charge of the club the fans would be blaming him for the departure of Paul Lambert, and you back it up by pointing out the successes on the pitch under his stewardship, successes that cannot be denied, however you totally ignore how things ended up ander Chase and for some reason blame the fans for his mistakes.

There is no doubt in my mind that at a pivotal point in the history of Norwich FC, Robert Chase got it wrong.

Your post assumes that the NCFC board/Delia is responsible for the departure of Paul Lambert, at the moment I see it as a young, talented manager taking the next step in his journey to becoming the manager of a top English/European team, unless evidence (rather than rumour and speculation) to the contrary emerges....

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Cluck you started this thread to make the point that had Robert Chase been in charge of the club the fans would be blaming him for the departure of Paul Lambert, and you back it up by pointing out the successes on the pitch under his stewardship, successes that cannot be denied, however you totally ignore how things ended up ander Chase and for some reason blame the fans for his mistakes.

There is no doubt in my mind that at a pivotal point in the history of Norwich FC, Robert Chase got it wrong.

Your post assumes that the NCFC board/Delia is responsible for the departure of Paul Lambert, at the moment I see it as a young, talented manager taking the next step in his journey to becoming the manager of a top English/European team, unless evidence (rather than rumour and speculation) to the contrary emerges....

[/quote]But wasn''t O''Neill a young and talented manager taking the next step on a journey? To blame Chase for City not signing Windass is a convenient hook to hang everything on, when infact maybe O''Neill just saw a better chance to improve himself and used Chase as an excuse to cover his own tracks.Something isn''t right about all this and we should let a PR smokescreen cover it up.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

[/quote]But wasn''t O''Neill a young and talented manager taking the next step on a journey? To blame Chase for City not signing Windass is a convenient hook to hang everything on, when infact maybe O''Neill just saw a better chance to improve himself and used Chase as an excuse to cover his own tracks.Something isn''t right about all this and we shouldn''t let a PR smokescreen cover it up.[/quote]Unfortunate typo there......

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

[/quote]

But wasn''t O''Neill a young and talented manager taking the next step on a journey? To blame Chase for City not signing Windass is a convenient hook to hang everything on, when infact maybe O''Neill just saw a better chance to improve himself and used Chase as an excuse to cover his own tracks.

Something isn''t right about all this and we shouldn''t let a PR smokescreen cover it up.
[/quote]

Unfortunate typo there......
[/quote]

Sure.....I recognise a Freudian slip when I see it and, if ever you grow up into a mature adult, so will you.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It was 1996 Purple. And you are right, the quote opens up a lot more for debate than just how "Big Bad Bob" ran the club. We have strong willed executive directors now just as Chase was then. But now they are scrutinised and are part of a team. It''s interesting to look at what Delia had to say when they became Majority Shareholders : -

"Robert Chase was the all- singing, all-dancing [one of her favourite phrases] man, and everything revolved around him. What this board has tried to do is build a team."

Now during the intervening years we have had quite a few versions of thaqt team and all had some success. But that team ethos has remained throughout. And not just because the company is a PLC.

[/quote]

Thanks, nutty, for that confirmation. And I agree that what we have had post-Chase is a team rather than a solo act. Not always a team getting everything right, but at least with checks and balances to ensure a kind of internal democracy. This is why I get nerdy and repetitive stressing that the club is not run entirely by McNally (sometimes Bowkett is allowed a small role!) while the rest of the directors sit at home watching daytime TV or learning macrame.

But it''s not just the boardroom Purple.

Chase was totally hands on. Everything was done his way. He was obsessive. He would would supervise everything that happened at the club. He was there first in the morning and last at night. He undoubtedly loved the club and gave it everything. And most people who did work for him liked and respected him. But ultimately this was the reason it all went wrong and why any criticism is always taken as personal.

Since Chase there has been management teams as well as executive management teams. The CE is ultimately responsible for all these and reports to the owners who I have heard said are very thorough in their questioning.

That''s the way I see it anyway.

Chase was totally hands on. Everything was done his way. He was obsessive. He would would supervise everything that happened at the club. He was there first in the morning and last at night. He undoubtedly loved the club and gave it everything. And most people who did work for him liked and respected him. But ultimately this was the reason it all went wrong and why any criticism is always taken as personal.

Since Chase there has been management teams as well as executive management teams. The CE is ultimately responsible for all these and reports to the owners who I have heard said are very thorough in their questioning.

[/quote]

I''ve heard that too, nutty. Actually that phrase about being "thorough in their questioning" rings a vague bell. Probably from one of your earlier posts...[:D][;)][:P][:D]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''ve heard that too, nutty. Actually that phrase about being "thorough in their questioning" rings a vague bell. Probably from one of your earlier posts...[:D][;)][:P][:D]

[/quote]

Okay you two, it''s time for an extra pair of hands in the ring. None of this light, polite sparring. Go back to your corners, hitch your pants up and come out swinging.  And Nutty, take that silly rattle out of your waistband. I want a real fight. We can do it on a PM basis if you wish. We don''t want our "gang members" going at it in public in front of NoseyNora.

if chase was still chairman the club would have been in the same state as portsmouthor worsealbeit with some champions league, prob a league or fa cup win and a wage bill not far off leeds when the 5hit hit the fan there lol

i quite liked him tbh. delia and co really sunk the ship deep until they appointed mcnally tbf but it could have been a lot worse if chase was at the helmhoping prudence has been drowned now though tbh, either that or abandon their little ideal that the club should have ''local'' or ''best interest'' owners in charge and sell up to an oil rich arab, russian or china man so we can have a shot at playing with the big boys like we did in the early 90s. those were the days. we should have been huge, top 6 permanently, at least potentially, stupid european bans/rulings really didnt help either

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]Both Delias lot and the Chase lot have made mistakes- that is clear.

Why then does Robert Chase seem to be the only person to get criticism?

[/quote]

" the Chase lot" now that is an interesting point.Now please tell me who exactly were the Chase lot? Chase was majority shareholder,.............

Now we have Delia as majority shareholder,....................Called me old fashioned but today we have a democracy and before smacks of a dictatorship.

[/quote]

Chase was not a majority (i.e., over 50%) shareholder unlike Delia & MWJ.

I''ll leave others to comment on your idea of democracy when you hold less than 50% of the ordinary shares of NCFC.

[/quote]

So Chase ran a democracy during his tenure did he ? Maybe you could tell us who else had an input into running the club apart from him then ? Jones with his 9% or the two puppets Paterson and Lockwood ?Do not forget his share gobbling up exercise or the midday AGM''s when virtually no shareholder was in a position to attend.

[/quote]

As a tiresome old Chase Out Remnant (COR) your biliousness apparently knows no bounds. No wonder Big Bob and Jimmy Jones didn''t take any notice of you.

OTBC

Looks like the gang have picked up a leech when wading through the swamp of irrelevance.......Well said Bly.... and nobody takes any notice of him or his lamentable sidekicks these days either. [:)]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Looks like the gang have picked up a leech when wading through the swamp of irrelevance.......Well said Bly.... and nobody takes any notice of him or his lamentable sidekicks these days either. [:)][/quote]You just can''t help yourself, can you?You try and fool people by making a few posts actually about football, then slip right back into your petty childishness.Your life truly must be empty if this is how you get your kicks.(Insert reply here about gangs, hypocrisy etc. Repeat. Then repeat again. And again)

Its raining again and I''d hoped I could cut the grass today...........

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Looks like the gang have picked up a leech when wading through the swamp of irrelevance.......

Well said Bly.... and nobody takes any notice of him or his lamentable sidekicks these days either. [:)]
[/quote]

Well this post alone should be good for at least another two or three pages littered amongst facts with your bile and boring,tiresome,repetitive and pointless remarks.Yet again i see that someone who none of us know have been added the "gang".Still if you say so it just must be true.

This thread was dragged up by your good mate Tangible way before breakfast time yesterday having drifted way off the radar and was found i suspect on page three of the messageboard at least because of recent events.He was then presented facts about the 1988 EGM and quotes from Barry Lockwood in reply to what he posted but has chosen for some reason since then to totally ignore what he started.However you have used it yet again as a platform for your repetitive one line tripe of no substance whatsoever to slag off and insult just anybody with a polar view to yours.For the latest i see that Technika was found in a swamp!

But hey Bly rides along to join you this morning with yet another old tiresome well used line so off you go again.Try harder and your man servant will pitch up as well as i note he is around this morning also.Finally any chance you can get Tangible to respond to some FACTS that he had put in front of him ?

Awaits the usual reply...................

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay you two, it''s time for an extra pair of hands in the ring. None of this light, polite sparring. Go back to your corners, hitch your pants up and come out swinging.  And Nutty, take that silly rattle out of your waistband. I want a real fight. We can do it on a PM basis if you wish. We don''t want our "gang members" going at it in public in front of NoseyNora.

[/quote]

I love washing dirty linen in public Yankee. The rattle will prove that I don''t do Queensberry rules! So have some of this Purple : -

1:07  Sports Desk Pete: You publically challenged how Smith & Jones were running the club back in May. Apart from their obvious love of the club, what have you seen to change your opinion?

Can u sit down please 

Tuesday October 27, 2009 1:07 Sports Desk Pete

1:13  Alan Bowkett: Can u sit down please - I must correct you, I publicly challenged how Neil Doncaster was running the Club.   As for Delia and the two Michaels, I think their outstanding contribution has been the appointment of David McNally   as Chief Executive - a consummate businessman who has a decade of football experience at the highest level.   Paul, David and I are now running the Football Club with the complete support of the substantial shareholders.   When we have had to take very difficult decisions, all our substantial shareholders have been demanding in their questioning of our proposals, as I would wish any non-executive director to be and then they have been some of the most supportive non-executive directors I have ever worked with and I can assure you I have worked with a lot.   Let''s not forget, I did not seek this job and it was Delia and Michael that realised some fundamental changes had to occur and they spent considerable time persuading me to undertake the task. 

I love washing dirty linen in public Yankee. The rattle will prove that I don''t do Queensberry rules! So have some of this Purple : -

1:07  Sports Desk Pete: You publically challenged how Smith & Jones were running the club back in May. Apart from their obvious love of the club, what have you seen to change your opinion?

Can u sit down please 

1:13  Alan Bowkett: Can u sit down please - I must correct you, I publicly challenged how Neil Doncaster was running the Club.   As for Delia and the two Michaels, I think their outstanding contribution has been the appointment of David McNally   as Chief Executive - a consummate businessman who has a decade of football experience at the highest level.   Paul, David and I are now running the Football Club with the complete support of the substantial shareholders.   When we have had to take very difficult decisions, all our substantial shareholders have been demanding in their questioning of our proposals, as I would wish any non-executive director to be and then they have been some of the most supportive non-executive directors I have ever worked with and I can assure you I have worked with a lot.   Let''s not forget, I did not seek this job and it was Delia and Michael that realised some fundamental changes had to occur and they spent considerable time persuading me to undertake the task. 

[/quote]

Indeed, nutty, that does seem familiar, and as you know the key phrase in all of that is:

"all our substantial shareholders have been demanding in their questioning of our proposals."

At the day to day and week to week level Bowkett and McNally run the club. But at the big picture level they put forward proposals that get questioned and then accepted or rejected by the entire seven-person board. That, for example, will be the case with the choice of the next manager, and with any stadium expansion.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Can u sit down please 

[/quote]

Indeed, nutty, that does seem familiar, and as you know the key phrase in all of that is:

"all our substantial shareholders have been demanding in their questioning of our proposals."

At the day to day and week to week level Bowkett and McNally run the club. But at the big picture level they put forward proposals that get questioned and then accepted or rejected by the entire seven-person board. That, for example, will be the case with the choice of the next manager, and with any stadium expansion.

[/quote]

Indeed and was the case when the previous manager was appointed.

If only such a statement as that made by Bowkett could have made made in the late eighties or early ninties.Uncomfortable reading for some i am sure.

Sun''s out now.... looks like I''m going to get the mowing done after all. [Y]