Sign in to follow this  
L4cole

Steve Morrison

Just wanted to have my

say on this matter, everyone has an opinion good or bad on this

player but lets just look at it like this.

I am a season ticket

holder and it''s unbelievable how much stick he gets and I think it

came to head against Liverpool at Carrow Road last week.

So many fans were

putting there opinion across of how poor he was. Well wait a second

he is playing upfront against Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger as an

alone striker. Not really surprised that he was isolated and taken

out of the game.

I think allot of fans

are spoilt a bit with Grant Holt. There two different players yet

everyone compares them.

I don''t know the stats

but I wouldn’t mind know how many games Morrison has started as a

lone striker this season yet still has 9 Goals for the season, taking

away Holt that’s more then Wilbrham, Jackson, Martin and Vaughan

have got between them this season in the Prem. Yet still people are

on his back..

I think the guy needs a

break. The fans to get behind him. I hope he starts on Sunday with

Holt, Grabs a couple and has a good final performance of the season.

[quote user="L4cole"]

Just wanted to have my

say on this matter, everyone has an opinion good or bad on this

player but lets just look at it like this.

I am a season ticket

holder and it''s unbelievable how much stick he gets and I think it

came to head against Liverpool at Carrow Road last week.

So many fans were

putting there opinion across of how poor he was. Well wait a second

he is playing upfront against Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger as an

alone striker. Not really surprised that he was isolated and taken

out of the game.

I think allot of fans

are spoilt a bit with Grant Holt. There two different players yet

everyone compares them.

I don''t know the stats

but I wouldn’t mind know how many games Morrison has started as a

lone striker this season yet still has 9 Goals for the season, taking

away Holt that’s more then Wilbrham, Jackson, Martin and Vaughan

have got between them this season in the Prem. Yet still people are

on his back..

I think the guy needs a

break. The fans to get behind him. I hope he starts on Sunday with

Holt, Grabs a couple and has a good final performance of the season.

[/quote]Liverpool wasnt last week....

I have little sympathy for your point of view.

Certainly Morison has potential. He has a good shot on him and is very good in the air. People have expressed that he appears to be lazy at times. I don''t think I have heard anything negative coming from the terraces during games but most supporters I know think there are many times that (let''s put it kindly) he often doesn''t play on the front foot.

He cannot be compared with Holt as Holt is a country mile ahead of him, in skill, effort and attitude.

Listening to Morison in his interview after the Arsenal game, I thought he came across very well, indeed that''s the first time I have heard him laugh! He was referring to the odd Canary Call comment and no doubt the apparent exchange after a game earlier this season with a ''worse for wear'' supporter.

I really don''t think Morison is too upset by all this. He''s a big grown up man and paid good money to do what he really enjoys.

Lambo and Culverhouse probably think he is work in progress. There is no doubt he has the potential to be great asset to the club but lets be done with this continuous hand-wringing.

"Supposed" personal problems will not have helped, if true.

I am  negative on him as he has scored some good and vital goals and may well blossom next season. On the other hand, his reputation (especially after Saturday) exceeds his performances and we might well do best by cashing in on this.

Don''t know. 

Worked out all these stats the other week and have added the Arsenal game.

Steve Morison Stats 10 goals in all competitions

WITH Strike Partner:

3-2 LOSS v Aston Villa - STARTED - Partner: Holt - Goal Time: 77 minutes

4-2 WIN v Newcastle (H) - STARTED - Partner: Holt - Goal Time: 63 minutes

2-1 WIN v QPR (A) - SUBBED ON (66 minutes) - Partner: Holt - Goal Time: 83 minutes

2-1 WIN v WBA (A) - STARTED - Partner: Jackson (Until 68 minutes) then Holt - Goal Time: 79 minutes

4-1 WIN v Burnley (H) (CUP) - SUBBED ON (71 minutes) - Partner: Wilbraham - Goal Time: 73 minutes

3-3 DRAW v Arsenal (A) - SUBBED ON (69 minutes) - Partner: Holt (Until 81 minutes) then Wilbraham - Goal Time: 85 minutes

WITHOUT Strike Partner:

2-1 WIN v Sunderland (H) - STARTED - Goal Time: 48 minutes

3-3 DRAW v Blackburn (H) - STARTED - Goal Time: 53 minutes

2-1 LOSS v Arsenal (H) - STARTED - Goal Time: 16 minutes

5-1 LOSS v Manchester City (A) - STARTED - Goal Time: 81 minutes

Conclusions:

He''s scored and we''ve won more games when he''s had a strike partner.

The most prolific partner with him is Holt.

He also has a better second half strike rate than first with 9 out of his 10 goals coming in the second half of games.

Well, I would like him to stay. He''s good alongside a partner, strong in the air,...but it''s his first season in the prem! One of the strikers is going to be sold imo, but I don''t want it to be Morrison...He''s gotten us some vital goals this season and the criticism wasn''t very fair imo, but he''s taken it well which shows he is a real pro. As the season has developped supporters have come to be used to the good results and they seem to want to have a Tevez and Aguerro-like partnership up front. Get a grip , we''re still in the Prem and there are going to be players comming in this summer...but let''s pay tribute to the guys that got us here (and played often enough that is).

People shouldn''t compare him to Holt.

Morison is a typical big centreforward, a target man. Ontop of that he has a good turn of pace, although not lightening quick and good movement and strength.

Holt is a bit of an oddity. At 6'' he is marginal in terms of big or little striker and I think you see this in his play. He likes to mix his runs up, he has quick feet and can pick out a good pass. He is also good in the air and strong. He is the best all round striker we have had at the club since Dean Ashton.

He is a ''star quality'' player. Very few players we sign in the future will come close to giving us what Grant Holt has given us over the last three years.

To expect Morison to replicate this in one season, in the premiership, is bloody harsh.

9 goals in the league this season equals a good return for a player that has been out of form for a large chunk of the season. If he is able to add consistancy to his goalscoring ability he could easily achieve double figures next season and possibly even a similar tally as Holt this season.

Fair comment Chicken. I desperately want Morison to do well and desire is such an essential quality in the Premier league. Let''s hope that desire will win through next season.

I''ve kept out of the Morison debate up until now as it was getting ridiculous earlier in the season.   But..........

I don''t believe that Holt/Morison is the best partnership up front.   I prefer it when there is a Jackson type player with Holt - pace, pulling defenders out of position, nuisance value.  This gives Holt more of a chance to do what he does best. 

When Holt and Morison have played together it has put more onus on Holt to be the provider, the nuisance value (which he is quite capable of).   Would I prefer Holt or Jackson to be the ''nuisance'' player?  I''d have to say Jackson - then Holt or Morison can be the player with more space, created by the pace of Jackson.

So for me its a case of horses for courses.   The value of a hard working, pacey front man against a striker who on this season''s evidence needs to be given the chances on a plate.   The jury is still out on Morison as a main striker imo.   One of the reasons Chris Martin hasn''t done it at this level is the lack of ''nuisance'' value as a striker.    Jackson has it. Holt has it.   Morison seemed to have it earlier in the season - but not recently.  I don''t believe one goal changes that - he always has had a good strike in him.   But we need more from a striker than just being a target man.  

We have Holt, Vaughan and Jackson who provide more nuisance value than Morison has shown throughout the season.  If he can improve this side of his game he will be up there as a potential first choice every week.      I don''t dislike him, I think he scores great goals with such a good technique.  But the evidence of the season suggests we need to defend as a whole team.    Whoever is up front has to be able to provide the nuisance value to contribute to this.      

I remember the first Stoke game particularly as a case where the two strikers (Holt and Martin) spent a lot of time hanging around the halfway line not doing much - while Stoke were all action trying to get back in the team.  Holt has learnt to adapt his approach and upped his game.   Martin has been shipped out - maybe because he has not shown enough ability to adapt.    Morison appeared to start strong this season and then lost his way.  

Whoever is in the team has to be giving 100% all the time.  As in the games at Swansea, Spurs and Arsenal.   A whole team performance.   I''m sure the players understand this and are giving their maximum.   I just hope Morison has it within him to be able to do this over the course of a whole season. Then he would become a hero in his own right.

I think the criticism that Morison has received is just from a small minority of the crowd. He will be the first to admit since about January he has not shown his best form. However he is our most complete striker for me. By that I mean you can play him up front as a foil for either Holt or a quicker forward such as Jackson. He is more mobile than Holt meaning if you were to deploy a lone striker like we did earlier in the year he is the best man for the task and we got a lot of positive results during the autumn months. 

In terms of pure ability and performance I would say that both he and Holt are the 2 best strikers we have at the club by a pretty big margin. He has contributed 10 goals this season many of which have been vitally important. I don''t wish to critcise any player but its amazing how nobody ever seems to mention the fact that Jackson has only got 3 goals this season in comparison. I would love to see Holt and Morison play up front together a bit more. They really unsettled defences when they did. He will be a vital player for us again next year. If he can get into double figures again along with Holt we will have a very decent chance of being comfortably safe again.

Not sure those stats are particularly useful shiplee. It would be more useful to see what the result was every time he played as a lone striker VS every time he played with a partner, and how many he scored in each of those.

Less than the team result, it would be more useful to show his own record - if he has scored 4 goals in 6 games without a strike partner, and 6 goals in 17 games with a strike partner, the ratios are far better as a lone striker.

Also, it doesn''t bare in mind either that often when he''s been a lone striker, it has been against superior opposition. Arsenal and Man City are the only two losses you record - that''s pretty good going in my opinion! Especially when you''ve added the likes of Burnley into the other list.

"He''s scored and we''ve won more games when he''s had a strike partner".

Err, no. You haven''t shown us how many games we''ve won or lost when he''s been playing. You''ve only shown us for the games he''s scored in.

If he was scoring every game, nobody would moan, it''s the games he hasn''t scored in people are more concerned with.

As it is for Morison, I quite like him. But when you have that "lazy" demeanour about you, then you''re going to get people jumping on your back more than if you run after every lost cause.

Sadly after Sunday we will never see Morison or Tierney in a NCFC shirt again.....

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I desperately want Morison to do well and desire is such an essential quality in the Premier League. Let''s hope that desire will win through next season.[/quote]

What a load of horseshit. Desire is an essential quality at any level. If Steve Morison lacked desire he would be sat in a pub every Saturdau afternoon alongside all the other footballers who had talent but couldn''t be arsed.

Considering he used to combine playing for Bishop Stortford with having to get up at 5am in the morning to work as a paper shredder I think its fair to say that his hunger to do well in the game can''t be questioned.

[quote user="H4H"]

Sadly after Sunday we will never see Morison or Tierney in a NCFC shirt again.....

[/quote]

Leave it to Lambo. He might not be a Marjorie Proops but I''m sure he can sort out a little local difficulty. These things abate with time, I know as I''ve been there.

Perhaps we can all go to Morrisons the SuperMarket get loads of free carrier bags, release them at Carrow Road, and they can be like Morison, Rubbish on the Pitch!!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Thank you Shack for that errr attack. Raising the level of debate. Well done old chap.[/quote]

Terribly sorry. Let''s debate why ''desire is such an essential quality in the Premier League'' compared to other levels of football and why you feel Steve Morison lacks the necessary desire to succeed. I''m all ears.