Sign in to follow this  
jeagle

Jacob Butterfield

Its interesting how people see it differently. The goal aside (where he timed his run into the box superbly) I thought he really struggled to get into the Everton game. But then again by all accounts he excelled in that role for Leeds and that was where I thought he would be playing initially when he signed

From what I''ve read on the Barnsley forums, Butterfield has been playing at the tip of the diamond in the Wessi role, not as a DM. Not to say he has to play in the same position for us, or that he couldn''t play DM but from what I can garner, he has been playing as the AM at Barnsley. (I could be wrong of course).

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I''d want Howson to play higher up the pitch. I thought he done a great job in behind the striker against Everton.[/quote]

I don''t think he did.

I remember saying to my Grandad about 25 mins in, has Howson actually touched the ball yet? And between then and his goal, I only counted 3 or 4 touches of the ball for Howson. Then for 5 mins after his goal he was very involved. Then he came out second half in CM and was fantastic. I really really don''t understand why people thought he was great playing behind Holt, all he did was score (which I know sounds silly, but that is pretty much all he did, didn''t win the ball, didn''t pass it much, wasn''t effective in my eyes).

Howson is great at winning the ball, and passing it. He can do simple stuff, and be a bit more creative. He has a decent shot on him, I think he knows where to go in and around the box (like Surman) something players like Fox and Johnson lack when they end up in the opposition 1/3. Two of Howson''s top attributes in my opinion are wasted with him higher up the pitch.

I agree Gingerpele, Howson has been more effective as a central midfielder at Norwich. To cite a case in point that wonderful day at Spurs when he played central midfield with BJ.

Ok so my first post on 23rd May was a little wrong (he wasn''t our first summer signing) but it looks like we got our man! That day was the first day he was shown around Colney - when lambert was still in charge.

I hate to brag but in true message board style - thanks to everyone who doubted my ''sources''.

I cant recall seeing the lad play, but having done a little research it sounds to me like we have made an excellent signing. Sure a little risky with the injury, but worth taking on all acounts.  Good business by CH, seems to be similar to PL in respect of bringing in value for money signings and players with potential, although it is of course early days.  

Butterfield interview about the move here.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/871414-jacob-butterfield-interview-after-agreeing-to-sign-for-norwich-barnsleyfc

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I love it when people demand to know someone''s source. Proper winds me up.

Divulging the name of your source on an Internet message board would not only probably end your friendship with your source but would guarantee you not being told anything ever again and more importantly could get your source I''m trouble.

Believe, or don''t believe, that''s your choice but don''t call someone a bullshitter just because they don''t want to risk someone''s job or their friendship just to please you, it only makes people who do have genuine information that they''d like to share with fellow supporters not bother.[/quote]Yes but many on here revel in getting others in to trouble [Y]

[quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I love it when people demand to know someone''s source. Proper winds me up. Divulging the name of your source on an Internet message board would not only probably end your friendship with your source but would guarantee you not being told anything ever again and more importantly could get your source I''m trouble. Believe, or don''t believe, that''s your choice but don''t call someone a bullshitter just because they don''t want to risk someone''s job or their friendship just to please you, it only makes people who do have genuine information that they''d like to share with fellow supporters not bother.[/quote]

Yes but many on here revel in getting others in to trouble [Y]
[/quote]

Rather a strange post and somewhat provocative so maybe you could explain further ?

Barnsley have come to an agreement with Norwich over a transfer fee for Jacob Butterfield, avoiding the prospect of a tribunal.

[quote user="Ches right hand man "]Barnsley have come to an agreement with Norwich over a transfer fee for Jacob Butterfield, avoiding the prospect of a tribunal.[/quote]

From today''s Barnsley Chronicle:

Last night both clubs agreed a fee which is understood by the Chronicle to be well over £1million with a sell-on clause and international appearance fees included.

The Chronicle also says our initial offer, which was rejected as derisory, and which led to the prospect of a tribunal, was less than £300,000.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Can''t blame City for trying but it still seems a good deal!
[/quote]

Assuming the Barnsley Chronicle is right, and it probably is, then from less than £300,000 to around £1.3m is quite a jump. I have no inside knowledge, but I suspect someone at Carrow Road started to get worried about how the tribunal would view such a low original bid - that it might decide to punish Norwich by settling on a higher figure than if we had put in a sensible original bid. But I agree that £1m-plus still seems a good deal, given Butterfield''s potential.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Can''t blame City for trying but it still seems a good deal!
[/quote]

Assuming the Barnsley Chronicle is right, and it probably is, then from less than £300,000 to around £1.3m is quite a jump. I have no inside knowledge, but I suspect someone at Carrow Road started to get worried about how the tribunal would view such a low original bid - that it might decide to punish Norwich by settling on a higher figure than if we had put in a sensible original bid. But I agree that £1m-plus still seems a good deal, given Butterfield''s potential.

[/quote]

Maybe we are trying the same tactic with Leeds over Snodgrass. Should stopping messing around with daft bids - if we want these players then we should be prepared to pay a reasonable amount.

Yes he had bad injury previous season and is still recovering.

He has minor training already thought, so shouldnt be away more than one or two months.

Thanks Lavanche, pity as it will take him some time to get into the team now. Am looking forward to see him playing.