Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Would Norfolk

In size, easily, but population, i''m not so sure.

Should be able to really, problem is because there isn''t one at the moment its hard to tell. You can''t work out if the potential fan base exists, sure there is probably enough people, but is there enough people who like Football?

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Be bigger enough to have another football club the simular size to Norwich!![/quote]

Doubt it. Why is Roman shown interest in King''s Lynn?

All the conglomerations of League football clubs are in densly populated areas. Norfolk benefits from the opposite, with the exception of Norwich iitself, to a lesser degree. I wouldn''t know what it''s people per square mile ration is, but I should imagine it compares favourably with areas like the North West, for example.

Two ''big'' clubs in Norfolk would eventually lead to two smaller clubs IMO.

This is happened in the many cities/towns throughout the country that have two teams, but really need just one. There''s Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield  as the main examples and I believe even lowly Cambridge had two teams in the League once upon a time. It has long puzzled me as to why the clubs in these more medium sized places haven''t long since amalgamated. History and pride I suppose, they would prefer to divide and fail. I remember that for a long time both Sheffile clubs were consistently in the old First Division.

One of the strengths of our club is it''s pre-eminence throughout the County, thus representing the people of Norfok rather than just the citizens of Norwich. 

I don''t think so... It''s more about population levels when sustaining a sizeable football club, hence why there is so much going on around the industrial towns of Northern England.

It''s a really interesting question. 2 Premiership clubs I think not, but if you take out the sheffield clubs the attandences in leauge 1 are around 4500-5000 and I think the potential is definately there to have a club at leauge 2 if not league 1 level. Lowestoft, Kings Lynn, Thetford are all a distance from Norwich and have populations and catchments which could potentially see gates big enough to sustain a club at that level.

Regarding the smaller cities with 2 clubs (not nottinghm or sheffield) I do wonder if in this age of clubs hitting administration every other week we will see any mergers. Unlikely but interesting to see how the football landscape would change if there was only one cambridge club, one bristol club etc

If Kings Lynn went through the divisions and found themselves in the Conference (or whatever its called these days) they''d do well, their support is excellent and I think a rise to a more prominent position in the footballing hierachy would be beneficial to both sides.

If they managed to get into the league, their biggest problem would be their infrastructure and finding the investment and local support to progress at that level. Not that they, or their fans would mind finding out.

Nah, wouldnt happen. We''ve had 100+ years of NCFC culture...people wouldn''t take the club seriously. Kings Lynn could? possibly be a Colchester/Exeter but thats a big big ask.

I''m right in the middle of Charlton and Millwall who struggle to get 20k/15k respectively and thats in a densely populated area (Greenwich and Lewisham boroughs have nearly double the population of Norfolk)...football simply isn''t that big without "history".

MKdons have (kind of) had a success as there isnt a loyal or strong local rival...the new club would be laughed at by most NCFC fans.

Saying that I''d like Lynn to have a drive up the leagues.

This topic fascinates me and the current elite (by that I mean the whole of the Football League, to a greater or lesser extent) is still mainly made up mostly of clubs from areas of tradition and of traditonally high population, in numbers or in density.

The whole of the large county of Kent has just one Football League side, the poorly supported Gillingham. That was my nearest game when both they and Norwich shared a league, and it seemed a luxury. So close to home. The rest are minnows and East Kent is deprived entirely. 

I have often wondered why the Thanet teams (Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs ... joined at the hip) don''t amalgamate to form a stronger force with the aim of eventually making an entry into the League. That was until today. Wiki gives the population of this whole Isle as just 128, 000, whereas it gives the urban population of Norwich (ie. that area extending beyond the City boundaries .... including Costessey, Hellesdon, Bowthorpe, Old Catton etc.) as 259, 000.

Referring again to Gillingham. I have often wondered why the Medway Towns (Rochester, Strood, Chatham and Gillingham, which are all joined as well) have never combined as one club either. With a combined population of c. 256, 000 this is more viable.

Dartford is huge in terms of population, but I suppose their nearest club might be Charlton, although, from experience the football supporting Dartford folk divide their loyalties throughout the major London clubs. 

Taking Kent''s pausity of League teams (and Sussex only have Brighton as well,) it seems that history has evolved well enough that we should feel greatful for the existence of NCFC in it''s present form. Another League club in Norfolk may be detrimental to our Club in the long run.    

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Be bigger enough to have another football club the simular size to Norwich!![/quote]

Doubt it. Why is Roman shown interest in King''s Lynn?

All the conglomerations of League football clubs are in densly populated areas. Norfolk benefits from the opposite, with the exception of Norwich iitself, to a lesser degree. I wouldn''t know what it''s people per square mile ration is, but I should imagine it compares favourably with areas like the North West, for example.

Two ''big'' clubs in Norfolk would eventually lead to two smaller clubs IMO.

This is happened in the many cities/towns throughout the country that have two teams, but really need just one. There''s Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield  as the main examples and I believe even lowly Cambridge had two teams in the League once upon a time. It has long puzzled me as to why the clubs in these more medium sized places haven''t long since amalgamated. History and pride I suppose, they would prefer to divide and fail. I remember that for a long time both Sheffile clubs were consistently in the old First Division.

One of the strengths of our club is it''s pre-eminence throughout the County, thus representing the people of Norfok rather than just the citizens of Norwich. 

[/quote]

Sheffield is the 4th biggest City in England and they both maintain decent attendances - I don''t think the size of the city is the cause of thier downfalls.

Sheffield, yes true. With a population of 600, 000+ it was not the best example to use, although this pales compared with Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool.

I suppose this stems from the time when I always remembered both clubs as fixtures in the top-flight. Their attendances are good considering their current status, although it has to be mentioned that last season, in the Championship, Sheffield United''s average attendance was 5, 000 lower than that of NCFC. Admittedly we were the more successful on the field, but I just wonder what United''s and Wednesday''s respective season ticket uptake is.

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]I don''t think so...

It''s more about population levels when sustaining a sizeable football club, hence why there is so much going on around the industrial towns of Northern England.

[/quote]

Spot on.

very true Broadstairs. My mum lives in Dartford now (born off Bishops Bridge road mind you! :0)) and Dartford is very much a mix of the London clubs although traditionally "Charlton". I also found it very odd that 5 miles down the road Gravesend is and always has been (since the 70''s/80''s) a centre for Chelsea fans?!

No!

Norwich City have been built up over 110 years and get a lot of their fanbase from outside of Norwich and indeed outside of Norfolk. Not neough room for the interest levels required for another club in Norfolk of a similar size to Norwich. Other areas more populated have two or more teams in a City yet one of the teams is a lowly supported Lower Football League team. Places like Nottingham, Bristol and Stoke are prime examples! 

King''s Lynn and Lowestoft (Suffolk yeah I know but they should be in Norfolk!) are capable of Conference level football!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

No!

Norwich City have been built up over 110 years and get a lot of their fanbase from outside of Norwich and indeed outside of Norfolk. Not neough room for the interest levels required for another club in Norfolk of a similar size to Norwich. Other areas more populated have two or more teams in a City yet one of the teams is a lowly supported Lower Football League team. Places like Nottingham, Bristol and Stoke are prime examples! 

King''s Lynn and Lowestoft (Suffolk yeah I know but they should be in Norfolk!) are capable of Conference level football!

[/quote]Non league football has a personality of it''s own.... so being in the Football League structure isn''t the be all and end all of existence.I''d love to see Lowestoft in the Conference however... and having lived there for a few years I know that the town is yellow and green to the core.... plus we should remember that County borders are merely lines on a map, nothing more.

Broadstairs got it right about Sheffield - it is the fourth biggest City in England and effectively more than twice as big as Norwich in population terms so should theoretically be able to support two 30,000 regularly attended football clubs.  Season ticket take up for both clubs is pretty poor though (I think no more than 14,000).  Both have cottoned on to the need to market themsleves effectively as "community" clubs like Norwich have, but that is a bit tricky with a "divided" city though as you will always risk alienating people.  Whilst both struggle in the league, there is just too much competition for leisure time in such a big city, so attendances will continue to struggle.

As for Norfolk in time maybe it could support two league clubs, the population is increasing so assuming Kings Lynn can re-climb the pyramid then by the time they get there the population might well be appropriate.

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

No!

[/quote]Non league football has a personality of it''s own.... so being in the Football League structure isn''t the be all and end all of existence.I''d love to see Lowestoft in the Conference however... and having lived there for a few years I know that the town is yellow and green to the core.... plus we should remember that County borders are merely lines on a map, nothing more.

[/quote]That''s strange Cluck...........I seem to remember back in the day you were arguing the toss that only people born and bred within the Norfolk boundary could be called true City fans. So, after all that huffin'' n puffin'' blood must be thicker than postcodes it seems.So the gene pool has been contaminated all along ? [;)]

Cluck is a strange creature, sometimes he/she/beast can post some really good sensible posts. Unfortunately these are interspersed with bulls*it!

Cluck is right about non League, it certainly has a personality of its own and League football is not the be all and end all!

Perhaps we should ask the council tax payers of South Norfolk who pay more than their counterparts in Lowestoft if they thought the county boundary was just a line on the map.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Cluck is a strange creature, sometimes he/she/beast can post some really good sensible posts. Unfortunately these are interspersed with bulls*it!

Cluck is right about non League, it certainly has a personality of its own and League football is not the be all and end all!

[/quote]But unpredictability is my strongest card deliagrantroederdisaster.... and why everyone loves me. [:)]