Sign in to follow this  
back of the net

BARCLAY BOOT BOYS

just seen a mention of the BARCLAY BOOT BOYS on another thread, brought back lots of memories from the 1970s

Meeting at the Kings Head pub (back of the inns) before games then walking down to carrow road, cramming into the Barclay making sure you stood in front of the barrier not behind it or you''d get crushed when we scored, being thrown out by ''Handlebars'' (a big copper with a great big tash)and what about all the old songs, some I can remember -:

I was born under the Barclay stand

knees up mother brown

we are the Barclay boot boys

take a bow legged chicken and a knock knee''d hen

I hear the sound of distant bums

Dave Cross, born is the king of Carrow Road

we''ve got Kenny Kenny Kenny Foggo on our wing

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley

we hate Nottingham Forest

in our Norwich home

there were others of course, anybody else remember these days ?

You''re gonna get your f*ckin'' heads kicked in.

You''re goin'' home in a Norfolk ambulance.

Zigger zigger zigger Watling is a n....

Nostalgia isn''t what it used to be....

On the 101 Great Goals DVD, there''s one scored by Ted MacDougall in front of the Barclay and, as he scores and turns to celebrate, you can clearly see two coppers standing there, one of whom looks like old Handlebars himself-maybe someone could sneak a look and confirm it?

I remember the Jimmy Neighbour one.

Plus a few that are best never repeated!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]A Nancy boy?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Jimmy Bone SuperstarSix foot two eyes of blue Duncan Forbes is after you.We are Superior

If I had the wings of a sparrow

If you''re standing on the corner

You''re going in the river

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside (against West Brom)

Chim chimney (against teams in claret and blue)

He''s bald he''s bent (against Watford when Elton John was their Chairman)

Handlebars name was Kidgel and I went to school with his son.  If nothing much was happening he''d start a rumble.Great days and I miss them too.  Kings Head now the Body Shop.  Aloweta Jonty AlowetaThere''s a Tavern in the TownDistant Bumsetc etc

"Aloweta Jonty Aloweta"bl00dy heathen !

''Aloutte gentille Aloutte,  Aloutte je te plumerai''listen hereto hear the Barclay in full voice to this was, well ...................... you had to be there

Handlebars was PC 649 Ivan Kidgell and his son mentioned by Hardcell was Malcolm who tragically died at an early age from cancer.

"Handlebars" Ivan Kidgel was a nasty so and so and I knew him away from football as well as witnessing his many infamous moments when he dealt a severe blow to any troublemakers on the terraces. In particular I remember him chucking out a particularly nasty bunch of Arsenal in the early 70''s who were dressed up as characters from the cult violent 70''s movie "a clockwork orange"! 

He was 6ft 7/8, with a wonderful handlebar moustache, so he stood out quite a lot, even more so when he was sorting out hooligans who thought they were tough who he made look like snivelling little children!

The reason he was only a PC when he retired was because of the unconventional violent ways he used to deal with persons commiting offences. Nowadays he would of likely not lasted long in the force!

Ivan died about 10 or so years ago and his son Malcolm died at a young age from cancer. Malcolm was a huge Norwich fan and used to help out at Carrow Road on home match days. Ivans wife still lives in the City.

Ivan "Handlebars" Kidgel often comes up in conversation when supporters who went to Carrow Road in the 1950''s-1970s era remonise about those days! 

"The reason he was only a PC when he retired was because of the

unconventional violent ways he used to deal with persons commiting

offences"  I would have thought that might have actually secured him a fairly steady climb up the promotion ladder (if only to boost his pension in the final couple of years)He did seem to enjoy his time at games. None of this flourescent jacket nonsense then. Mr Plod had to get in amongst them and ''mix it'' a bit themselves - usually followed by a chorus of  "What''s the matter with you screw, what''s the matter with you...........

I believe Ivan did rise above the rank of PC but was demoted when some of his mistermeanours were brought up!

Although Ivan seemed to take a sadistic pleasure in handing out retribution to hooligans and went over the top on many occasions, his sort of policing wouldn''t go amiss nowadays and would make any wayward youngster think about the error of his ways!

The many, many older Norwich fans who remember Handlebars, Ivan Kidgel makes one think he ought to be included in the Norwich City Hall of fame one day!