Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Boo boys today- you are a disgrace

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="judderman"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[quote user="Irn Bru Canary"]The atmosphere around the ground today was similar to the Fulham game - too many people criticising and forgetting where we were three years ago. Teams are allowed indifferent performances and it is our job to stay onside and encourage the team. The manager criticises I am sure but doesn''t do it in public and neither should we. If I was Lambert I would be very disappointed in that reaction at the end of the match today and would be thinking "why the **** do I bother"[/quote]

Sick of hearing that to be honest

[/quote]
well you''ll keep hearing it because it''s a perfectly valid point
[/quote]

We should be happy with a point against Wigan because 3 years ago we were in League One?

What aload of tosh. We are in the Premier League on merit.

Its completly irrelavant where we were 3 years ago

[/quote]

Spot on. How can we accept dropping  points against the bottom side however well they played? Obviously, as bottom side they should lose by several goals every game, just like nobody can beat Man U because they''re top and win every game.

The relevance of where we were three years ago is that it should keep peoples feet on the ground when they start talking about us qualifying for Europe. Unfortunately it doesn''t always do so, hence the pathetic booing yesterday. The reason that we''re "happy" with a point against Wigan is that they were the better side on the day and probably deserved all three.  However, in order to take that on board you would need to understand that a football match is a contest between two teams, not just an exercise in confirming relative league positions.

[/quote]

They played well because we didnt.

Ten years ago we were beating Man Utd, 13 years ago we were finishing 3rd in the Prem and beating Bayern in their back garden. All that is irrevant, so too it that we were in League One 3 years ago.
[/quote]

Thank you for making my point. There are two sides in every game. Either they cancel each other out and it''s a draw, or one is superior on the day. Yesterday Wigan were superior but we hung in and got a point. To say "they played well because we didn''t" is not only disrespectful to worthy opponents, but your rationale presupposes that if we beat one of the top sides it will be because they didn''t play well, given our relative league positions.

[/quote]

So it always works out that the team that plays best wins? No course not.

And everytime teams cancel each other out, its always draw? No course not. Making your point worthless.

Maybe we should scrap the League and just play friendlies, then you can clap regardless of whether we win, lose or draw.
[/quote]

Once upon a time you could have a sensible debate on this forum and even politely agree to disagree. Now, as you''ve demonstrated, if your original argument is undermined the only recourse is to throw your toys out of the pram. No wonder so many good posters have left.

If you want to disagree with me construct a counter argument by all means, but please don''t put words into my mouth simply so you can score a cheap point. I have never suggested that the side that plays best always wins, only that form is variable. As for draws, if sides cancel each other out neither is superior by definition, hence the draw comment. It was a general comment which you''ve chosen to make a specific to suit your purpose.

As for your closing remark, I''m afraid it''s just childish and silly and does you no credit whatsoever, but, for the record, I will support my team, as I have for 40 odd years, come hell or high water.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="judderman"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[quote user="Irn Bru Canary"]The atmosphere around the ground today was similar to the Fulham game - too many people criticising and forgetting where we were three years ago. Teams are allowed indifferent performances and it is our job to stay onside and encourage the team. The manager criticises I am sure but doesn''t do it in public and neither should we. If I was Lambert I would be very disappointed in that reaction at the end of the match today and would be thinking "why the **** do I bother"[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

We should be happy with a point against Wigan because 3 years ago we were in League One?

[/quote]

Spot on. How can we accept dropping  points against the bottom side however well they played? Obviously, as bottom side they should lose by several goals every game, just like nobody can beat Man U because they''re top and win every game.

The relevance of where we were three years ago is that it should keep peoples feet on the ground when they start talking about us qualifying for Europe. Unfortunately it doesn''t always do so, hence the pathetic booing yesterday. The reason that we''re "happy" with a point against Wigan is that they were the better side on the day and probably deserved all three.  However, in order to take that on board you would need to understand that a football match is a contest between two teams, not just an exercise in confirming relative league positions.

[/quote]

Ten years ago we were beating Man Utd, 13 years ago we were finishing 3rd in the Prem and beating Bayern in their back garden. All that is irrevant, so too it that we were in League One 3 years ago.
[/quote]

Thank you for making my point. There are two sides in every game. Either they cancel each other out and it''s a draw, or one is superior on the day. Yesterday Wigan were superior but we hung in and got a point. To say "they played well because we didn''t" is not only disrespectful to worthy opponents, but your rationale presupposes that if we beat one of the top sides it will be because they didn''t play well, given our relative league positions.

[/quote]

I don''t mean to offend you Beausant but you do come across as a bit pompous. If other posters express different opinions from you it doesn''t necessarily mean they are wrong. What''s the view like from that high horse you sit upon ?

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="judderman"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] I don''t mean to offend you Beausant but you do come across as a bit pompous. If other posters express different opinions from you it doesn''t necessarily mean they are wrong. What''s the view like from that high horse you sit upon ?[/quote]

I am not quite sure how you arrived at that conclusion. The views he expressed were reasonable and well made. Just because you don''t necessarily agree with them, doesn''t mean they were made from a "high horse". All in all, bit of a cheap shot.

[quote user="Al Catraz"]

I don''t mean to offend you Beausant but you do come across as a bit pompous. If other posters express different opinions from you it doesn''t necessarily mean they are wrong. What''s the view like from that high horse you sit upon ?[/quote]

No offence taken, and sorry if that''s how I came across. It''s not a question of not accepting different opinions, more one of expecting people to back up emotive statements with a consistent and logical argument.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="judderman"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]well you''ll keep hearing it because it''s a perfectly valid point[/quote]We should be happy with a point against Wigan because 3 years ago we were in League One?What aload of tosh. We are in the Premier League on merit.Its completly irrelavant where we were 3 years ago

[/quote]

[/quote]They played well because we didnt.

Ten years ago we were beating Man Utd, 13 years ago we were finishing 3rd in the Prem and beating Bayern in their back garden. All that is irrevant, so too it that we were in League One 3 years ago.[/quote]

[/quote]So it always works out that the team that plays best wins? No course not.And everytime teams cancel each other out, its always draw? No course not. Making your point worthless.Maybe we should scrap the League and just play friendlies, then you can clap regardless of whether we win, lose or draw.[/quote]

Once upon a time you could have a sensible debate on this forum and even politely agree to disagree. Now, as you''ve demonstrated, if your original argument is undermined the only recourse is to throw your toys out of the pram. No wonder so many good posters have left.

If you want to disagree with me construct a counter argument by all means, but please don''t put words into my mouth simply so you can score a cheap point. I have never suggested that the side that plays best always wins, only that form is variable. As for draws, if sides cancel each other out neither is superior by definition, hence the draw comment. It was a general comment which you''ve chosen to make a specific to suit your purpose.

As for your closing remark, I''m afraid it''s just childish and silly and does you no credit whatsoever, but, for the record, I will support my team, as I have for 40 odd years, come hell or high water.

[/quote]Im sorry but I only made 2 points,A) A draw with Wigan was not a good result and not something we should be happy aboutand B) Where we were 3 years ago is totally irelavlantWhich of those have been undermined?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Al Catraz"]

I don''t mean to offend you Beausant but you do come across as a bit pompous. If other posters express different opinions from you it doesn''t necessarily mean they are wrong. What''s the view like from that high horse you sit upon ?[/quote]

No offence taken, and sorry if that''s how I came across. It''s not a question of not accepting different opinions, more one of expecting people to back up emotive statements with a consistent and logical argument.

[/quote]

Fair enough !

Every supporter has the right to an opinion, and without different opinions this message board wouldnt be here. However some people say the booing was at the ref, some say the booing was at the players but either way it clearly affects the players as John Ruddy said this himself. It is clear to see when the crowd gets behind the team they play better but when you hear the moans and groans the players seem to get more nervous. You dont have to like what you see but groaning seems to only make the problem worse. As for booing I thought it was pretty pathetic. A point against a team fighting for their lives.... any suprise? I dont think so! Remember Preston last season at home.... the exact same reaction. Come on guys we have had a better season that we would have imagined. I know it wasnt a great perfromance yesterday, and our run of late hasnt been as great as previously, but we got a tough run to come and with the right support and encouragement we can class ourselves ''safe'' as soon as! I am sure the game against Newcastle will be much different :)

Every time I mention this subject I get shouted down.  But here I go again.

Anyone who thinks it is ok to boo our team should be ejected from the ground. I have been at games this season where it has happened - so don''t accuse me of  not seeing it for myself.    This childish activity is occuring more in  football and needs to be sorted out by reasonable fans - make life difficult for the booers by shouting them down.   Booing should be reserved for referees and the opposition if they do something to deserve it.   Booing your own team is only acceptable if they are not trying or not being successful. Neither of those criteria applies to us or has done in the last three years - since the 1-7.  

Booing is the most derogatory thing you can do to anyone - it is unhelpful and negative if you do it to your own team in anything other than dire circumstances.

If you are one of these children who has booed your own team/player/manager in the last two and a half seasons - 1.  You don''t deserve to be a Norwich fan.2.  You should be ejected from the ground3.  You should be named and shamed4.  Your season ticket should be revoked (if you have one)5.  You should be suspended from Carrow Rd until you have been proven to have done some research into how to support your football club.

A successful football clubs need supporters of all kinds who support in all ways - criticising as well as cheering - but booing?

No.

Think before you boo!  

Booing your own team is pretty stupid and is not something I would do but to ban people or send them on some sort of re-education programme is a massive overreaction. At the end of the day if you pay to watch a game of football you can do whatever you want within the ground regulations. Some people get frustrated at the end of a game if they feel we have not played well and decide to boo and that is entirely their decision. Talk of ''making life difficult for the booers'' sounds like mob rule to me.

Oh and there is already a thread about booing you could have added this little brain fart to [:D]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Booing your own team is pretty stupid and is not something I would do but to ban people or send them on some sort of re-education programme is a massive overreaction. At the end of the day if you pay to watch a game of football you can do whatever you want within the ground regulations. Some people get frustrated at the end of a game if they feel we have not played well and decide to boo and that is entirely their decision. Talk of ''making life difficult for the booers'' sounds like mob rule to me.

Oh and there is already a thread about booing you could have added this little brain fart to [:D]

[/quote]

Brain farts are not something I have ever heard of, but it sounds as if I  at least  have a brain which is more than the clowns who boo seem to have.  

Oh, and the reason I started another thread on the subject is because the othter boo thread has been spoilt by ''over quoting'' and changing the subject. 

So if you don''t like it, go and  do your little  forum policing somewhere else.

I''ve never been accused of being ''Forum Police'' before. How exciting. I agree about the quoting. I''d rather ban people from here if they abuse the quote button rather than ban the booers [;)]

Booing any defeat/poor performance seems to be fairly standard behaviour in modern football. I don''t particularly like it but I doubt there is much I can do. What you are proposing is quite ridiculous even if I agree that booing your own team is pretty stupid.

I started out thinking I was  being tongue in cheek on this but looking back it looks a bit heavy handed.  I would like to personally eject the boo boys but realise it is probably here to stay. I just wish that enough people would shout them down when they do it at our own team unnecessarily.

What I need to know is it''s is OK to boo if you''re watching an internet stream of the game in some sun-kissed tax haven[ip] or is that de trop as well?

[quote user="Henry"]The booing should have been directed at our own pathetic fans. Once we had gone one up they sat back and expected Wigan to roll over. Until then it was quite noisy ... afterwards forget trying to create an atmosphere.

Useless .... we were rubbish as fans today. Take it as a lesson learnt and start to support the team for 90 bloody minutes !!!!!!![/quote]I blame the stewards. It all went quiet when they told us to sit down in The Barclay [:#]

[quote user="Webbo118"]I am afraid that all too many people have this very simplistic view of a football result, i.e. if we win we play well, if we don''t win we play badly. A bit more to it that than.[/quote][Y] because if we look at past form like loads of other posters do when they keep harking back to where we''ve been, we''ve won plenty of games in the past when we played poorly and lost plenty of games when we played well.It''s about getting more goals than the other team

I cannot believe some people have tried to justify booing yesterday.I know people don''t like the phrase ''look where we have come from'', but people do need to remember where we were the last two year. We have earnt our right to play in the prem, this group of players has given everything for the club, to boo them when we are sitting 12 in the league, having earnt a good point against a very tough battling Wigan team having worked hard ourselves- imagine those players hearing booing, god they must think Norwich fans our the most fickle fans out there- I doubt few players wont to play for a club with such fickle fans.some of you fans need to understand that our squad is one of the weakest, individually, in the prem, we are doing so well because of our team spirit, work rate and manager- now its up to the fans to get behind and do what we can for the remainder of the season to help the team- booing is not going to do thatThe modern game is becoming a bit of disgrace. fans will boo anything it seems, managers get sacked after lossing a couple of games on the trot, it''s a real shame.As said before, boo if the team shows no effort, no problem, the players, fans, manager will all understand that and can help spur them on- but to boo an ok performance and a point against a team that was never going to take the game lying down, that''s so disgracefull.I say we go further than LDC suggestions, lets get the public stocks out and put the boo boys in there, allowing the rest of the fans to jeer and abuse them

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]What I need to know is it''s is OK to boo if you''re watching an internet stream of the game in some sun-kissed tax haven[ip] or is that de trop as well?[/quote]

Surely one should get one''s butler or another member of the domestic staff to do so?[H] There is so little sense in having "help" and then taking on such onerous tasks oneself[:O]. That sort of thinking simply opens the door to communism.[st][li]

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Im sorry but I only made 2 points,

A) A draw with Wigan was not a good result and not something we should be happy about

and B) Where we were 3 years ago is totally irelavlant

Which of those have been undermined?
[/quote]

Both are arguable points CD. But if point B is totally irrelevant then how did you arrive at point A?

I would have thought on the basis of the game yesterday a draw with Wigan was a good and fair result. And something to be happy with.  But if you are going on form, league position and expectation for the not being happy about the result then it may be fair to consider where the two clubs were three years ago.

However the booing couldn''t have been based on the merits of performance or entertainment value. It had to be based on expectation and disappointment. There''s going to be a lot more of that to come so that could well be a boost for the people on the ST waiting list....

I don''t think you even need to use the argument "think where we came from three years ago" to criticise the booing. Surely you can just ask why someone would boo a mid table side? If we were rock bottom playing poor football, with players and management looking like they couldn''t be bothered to turn up, then you could be justified in booing. But based on THIS SEASON alone, why would you boo whilst we''re still comfortably clear of the relegation zone, and above a lot of teams who are supposedly bigger and better than us?

I''ve got to admit the "think where we were three seasons ago" argument doesn''t wash with me either. We could get relegated back down to the championship, and then relegated back down to league 1, and justify it with "oh well, think where we were 5 years ago, we''re no worse off!" It''s a silly argument. We''d criticise clubs who think they''re bigger than they are because of past successes, so why should we look at past failures and belittle our ambitions? We''re in the prem on merit and for a reason, where we were three seasons ago is irrelevant.

But, as much as I thought we were poor yesterday, and as much as I am always a supporter of people being able to criticise a poor performance whenever they want, booing at the game was rather disappointing yesterday, I''ve got to admit.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]What I need to know is it''s is OK to boo if you''re watching an internet stream of the game in some sun-kissed tax haven[ip] or is that de trop as well?[/quote]

Surely one should get one''s butler or another member of the domestic staff to do so?[H] There is so little sense in having "help" and then taking on such onerous tasks oneself[:O]. That sort of thinking simply opens the door to communism.[st][li]

[/quote]

Beau, the domestics finally got wise to the fact that I was paying them in Enron shares and went on strike. Hence I was forced yesterday to do my own booing. Actually I found it quite cathartic, and also gave me a real insight into the lives of the little people.[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Surely one should get the butler or another member of the domestic staff to do so?[H] There is so little sense in having "help" and then taking on such onerous tasks oneself[:O]. That sort of thinking simply opens the door to communism.[st][li]

[/quote]

If I was rich I could sent the butler to the games where I wanted to boo....

What a novel idea[I]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Im sorry but I only made 2 points,A) A draw with Wigan was not a good result and not something we should be happy aboutand B) Where we were 3 years ago is totally irelavlantWhich of those have been undermined?[/quote]

Both are arguable points CD. But if point B is totally irrelevant then how did you arrive at point A?

I would have thought on the basis of the game yesterday a draw with Wigan was a good and fair result. And something to be happy with.  But if you are going on form, league position and expectation for the not being happy about the result then it may be fair to consider where the two clubs were three years ago.

However the booing couldn''t have been based on the merits of performance or entertainment value. It had to be based on expectation and disappointment. There''s going to be a lot more of that to come so that could well be a boost for the people on the ST waiting list....

[/quote]Point A, current players and form.Agree''d looking back at the way the game went we were fortunate to come out with a point.But if someone had sad before the game ''Norwich will play poorly and it''ll end up 1-1'' would you be happy with that? No course not.In no way am I saying the boo''ing was deserved or necessary but a point against Wigan at home, is not a good one.

Where we were 3 years ago is relevant as we have to pay off 6m debt this season and 9m next season as a result of where we were 3 years ago. Also our current squad is also largely a function of where we were 3 years ago.

I didn''t think we played poorly though buddy. I thought both sides played well. I also don''t think we were lucky to come away with a point. I thought the draw was a fair result. Both teams tried to build from the back. It was a great game of football. We won a point which keeps us firmly in mid-table. What was there to moan about?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I didn''t think we played poorly though buddy. I thought both sides played well. I also don''t think we were lucky to come away with a point. I thought the draw was a fair result. Both teams tried to build from the back. It was a great game of football. We won a point which keeps us firmly in mid-table. What was there to moan about?

[/quote]Cracking game for the neutral.All the best chances fell to Wigan though on another day we could have won 3-1, likewise lost 3-1.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Cracking game for the neutral.

All the best chances fell to Wigan though on another day we could have won 3-1, likewise lost 3-1.

[/quote]

I am anything but a neutral. The icing on the cake would have been a Norwich win. But if people can''t enjoy that game then maybe they should spend their money on other things.

Many people posted last week about how they''d hate to watch Stoke every other week. Yet Stoke are now pretty much established in the prem, have been to an FA Cup final and played in the Europa League. We have been very fortunate as fans having been able to have our cake and eat it for the last two seasons. Now we are in a league that we have absolutely no chance of winning. Being mid-table in March is a bonus. We should enjoy what we have. And yesterday was enjoyable. Forget Wigan''s league position. Think about what you were watching. It''s time to enjoy the football.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Cracking game for the neutral.All the best chances fell to Wigan though on another day we could have won 3-1, likewise lost 3-1.[/quote]

I am anything but a neutral. The icing on the cake would have been a Norwich win. But if people can''t enjoy that game then maybe they should spend their money on other things.

any people posted last week about how they''d hate to watch Stoke every other week. Yet Stoke are now pretty much established in the prem, have been to an FA Cup final and played in the Europa League. We have been very fortunate as fans having been able to have our cake and eat it for the last two seasons. Now we are in a league that we have absolutely no chance of winning. Being mid-table in March is a bonus. We should enjoy what we have. And yesterday was enjoyable. Forget Wigan''s league position. Think about what you were watching. It''s time to enjoy the football.

[/quote]

Enjoy the football? Now there''s a radical thought. However,  I suspect that the boo boys go with the intention of booing/moaning/complaining and their concept of ''enjoyment'' would be vastly different to most peoples.  Their ''enjoyment'' comes usually at someone else''s expense.   They enjoy irritating people and drawing attention to themselves.   They are not ''real'' supporters.   They go to have an effect - unfortunately a negative one.  I still think we could shout them down whenever they boo out of turn.   Booing is unpleasant and should be used only as a last resort.  

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Cracking game for the neutral.

All the best chances fell to Wigan though on another day we could have won 3-1, likewise lost 3-1.

[/quote]

Many people posted last week about how they''d hate to watch Stoke every other week. Yet Stoke are now pretty much established in the prem, have been to an FA Cup final and played in the Europa League. We have been very fortunate as fans having been able to have our cake and eat it for the last two seasons. Now we are in a league that we have absolutely no chance of winning. Being mid-table in March is a bonus. We should enjoy what we have. And yesterday was enjoyable. Forget Wigan''s league position. Think about what you were watching. It''s time to enjoy the football.

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Nutty. I said to the guy next to me that the last 15 minutes was like a cup ite, with end to end stuff and not much in midfield. Both sides went for it and there were close calls at both ends. Although City were below par I think you have to give Wigan a lot of credit for how well they pressed our possession (in fact they outNorwiched us on occasions!). It was an exciting game to watch whichever side you supported and I ran into some Wigan fans in the Nelson car park who said exactly the same.

Personally I can''t wait to get up to whatever St James Park is going to be called next week.