Sign in to follow this  
Howson is now!

"That" Daniel Ayala challenge

Good point Jewish Cowboy, the ref was also the wrong side to really see how much contact was made with the ball, was always going to be a penalty if he missed it - which he did.

Er, who let the fox out, not sure where you get your patronising attitude from? I at no point said we can''t discuss what the hell we like. And if you read what I said, I clearly said I thought the decision was right, and that even if it wasn''t were were owed one. Is that ok for you?!

I thought the ref got it exactly right as Ayala got it all wrong. It was clumsy and well and truly mistimed even though he should have got there first.

Let''s just thank our lucky stars that one decision actually went our way as we all know we have had a few shockers go against us.

Thought Ayala just had one of those off days as he was very ordinary for the entire 90 minutes. I am not going to crucify him though cause he''s been great since coming back from injury.

His momentum meant that it carried quite a lot of force - which a ref could have interpreted as excessive;  his foot was raised with studs showing - which a ref could have judged to be reckless.  Either of which could have lead to a red card.  Fortunately it did not.

My own view is that it was a decision that balanced out one of our early season reds. 

After reading comments after i made mine ive watched it again, granted it is a clumsy challenge but he does touch it first with his foot and after with his leg, unsure about all these new fangled laws but in my book just like the Kompany tackle, the ball was played first, tho i do see all points of view but i guess we are all different....

Ryan Shawcross and Martin Taylor both got the ball in the tackles they made against Ramsey and Eduardo respectively. Ayala''s wasn''t as bad as those as he only went in one-footed but it was a lunge and it was reckless. A 50/50 red card incident and I would imagine if it happened outside of the box he would have seen a red card.

Looked like an attempted ''let him know you''re there'' challenge gone awry to me. Seen Ward make that type of challenge on countless occasions, and recall Ayala being a bit partial to that style of defending.That said, we shouldn''t be giving referees a reason to make a decision in our penalty box. The ball was probably 70-30 in Dani''s favour so a solid block tackle would have been more appropriate. That simply could be a case of line-and-learn for him, though, we must remember he is just as new to regular Prem football as most of our squad were at the start of the season.

Just made a total mess of it really. I would guess he changed his mind on what he was going to and then by hesitating he had a rush of blood to the head.

He wasn''t really in control of it so it probably could have ended up a lot worse for both him and Thomas.

I thought he was very lucky not to see red. As Bethnal says, it was a lunge and the daft thing is that, had he stayed on his feet he would have won the ball easily. I still don''t undersatnd why he went to ground, but these daft challenges do seem to be part of his game, which is a shame because he looks absolute class most of the time.

In my opinion he was lucky to not be sent off. He missed the ball and got the man, plus he has stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

I''m not gonna moan at a yellow though!!

[quote user="Beauseant"]. I still don''t undersatnd why he went to ground, but these daft challenges do seem to be part of his game, which is a shame because he looks absolute class most of the time. [/quote]

I think he looks class on the ball but he''s just not a great defender at the moment. He makes a mess out of a lot of fairly routine defending but nothing quite as obvious as the penalty at the weekend.

It''ll be interesting to see how he progresses. Greater experience should help to improve his game on its own to an extent and if his defending was the same standard as his good use of the ball then he could be a real good player.

I think it was an awful challenge, both in terms of trying to win the ball and dangerousness. There was absolutely no need for that. Just stand him up and block the shot! He''s at a tricky angle too. Having said that Shane Long is a class player!!!Ayala is close to being brilliant imo. He''s fantastic on the ball, big, strong, pretty quick. I just think he tries to be clever sometimes, something not good in a defender! For instance on Saturday, he had the ball with yards of space, tries to be clever and wait for the man to run at him, then clear it. Oh wait no he dilly dallied far too long, lost control and gave away a corner, when really there was no need. Nothing too major but silly little mistakes!!I did think overall he had a good game though. [:)]

After the recent media debate I am not surprised that a penalty was given and some debate it should have been a red card.As others have stated this however is just a careless not reckless challenge in that Ayala clearly mean to just get the ball with one foot but judged it wrong and skidded off the top of the ball with his foot hence not surprisingly carried more speed than intended. The ball bounced up into his body and bounced away for a corner, he got minimal contact with the WBA player.So it was a mistake not one designed to hurt a player and he def got ball before player and only put one foot into challenge. Some refs would have given a corner others a red card and penalty.For me Kompany should have been at worse a yellow and the FA have made a rod for their own back by not allowing the appeal and Johnson a straight red which should have been issued after the game ( I assume ref must have been unsighted!) Gerrard lost any shred of respect I had trying to defend that challenge, the  other player would have been seriously injured if he had not pulled out of going for ball! Still Liverpool seem to be a bit short on any kind of good judgement after Suarez incident effectively encouraging their supporters to do what followed in cup match!

My comment was meant in no way patronising. In my head it was completely in jest. Like a "Hey what else are we here for?" comment in reply to your "it seems classic of our supporters to dwell on it."

Apologies for coming across as patronising. Just having a laugh is all.