Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Be Honest. If Carrow Road held 32,000 to 35,000.................

Only a few hundred tickets left for todays game so they''ll be 26,000+ in ATT today which is good considering many fans were moaning at the prices and I know of ST ticket holders (a few in the 16-21 bracket who don''t want to pay full adult prices) who aren''t going to day!

So 26,000+ crowd today + 1600 Leicester fans who wanted to go but were prevented = Not far short of 28,000!

Now I''m sure they''ll be a number of Leicester fans in home areas 100-200, but I''m sure Leicester could of taken more than 4000 and they''ll be more than a few Norwich fans who won''t go cause they wish to sit with friends and/or family when currently theres only singles left.

If the ground was bigger then the club would of likely had reduced ticket prices at £20 for adults!

All these things considered then I think we could have sold as many as 30,000 tickets for todays game!

It still bemuses me the number of Norwich fans who doubt how big our fanbase is. I still maintain if our ground held 35,000, we''d be averaging 32,000 at the least!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=601026

Like I said, far more of us than you. We would fill the ground, although it wouldn''t always be the same faces.

[/quote]

Us and you[*-)]

[8]Us and Them
And after all we''re only ordinary men
Me, and you
God only knows it''s not what we would choose to do[;)]

That link and your logic means Villa should sell out every game.

I''d love us to get 35,000 every game but I''m not sure we would.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Like I said, far more of us than you. We would fill the ground, although it wouldn''t always be the same faces.

[/quote]

Us and you[*-)]

[8]Us and Them
Me, and you

[/quote]

No it doesn''t. How can you remotely deduce that? Daft analysis.

My other point was, and you managed to mis-interpret that too, that there are far, far more City fans who live at a distance, than those that are able to attend every week. Some are ex-pats and some are housebound or hard up or whatever. Speaking for myself,  if it were possible to get casual tickets more readily then I would attend more games .... the survey indicated that there are probably a lot like me dotted around the country. Nothing else.    

Capacity will only increase if City in 3rd season of PL.  By then Season Ticket waiting list will be much longer, I guess we will sell 25,000 - 27,000 up from current 22,000.  Away supporters to number around 3,000.  Leaving 4,000 casual tickets if 32,000 capacity and we easily sell that number for casual supporters for each game, how many become available for general release?

I believe OP''s suggetion is not valid, however at 35,000 we may not sell out every week, 32,000 guaranteed sell out provided of course we remain in PL. 

[quote user="pete"]

Capacity will only increase if City in 3rd season of PL.  By then Season Ticket waiting list will be much longer, I guess we will sell 25,000 - 27,000 up from current 22,000.  Away supporters to number around 3,000.  Leaving 4,000 casual tickets if 32,000 capacity and we easily sell that number for casual supporters for each game, how many become available for general release?

I believe OP''s suggetion is not valid, however at 35,000 we may not sell out every week, 32,000 guaranteed sell out provided of course we remain in PL. 

[/quote]

Yes 35, 000 on a regular basis would be streching it a bit. The lower figure would be a sell-out every week at the moment. There are all sorts of reasons why a supporter cannot commit to a season ticket, location being just one of them, although for any one given game there would likely be sufficient casuals in a position/able/willing to go and add that extra 5000 or so.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

Us and you[*-)]

[8]Us and Them
Me, and you

[/quote]

No it doesn''t. How can you remotely deduce that? Daft analysis.

My other point was, and you managed to mis-interpret that too, that there are far, far more City fans who live at a distance, than those that are able to attend every week. Some are ex-pats and some are housebound or hard up or whatever. Speaking for myself,  if it were possible to get casual tickets more readily then I would attend more games .... the survey indicated that there are probably a lot like me dotted around the country. Nothing else.    

[/quote]

Alright moody!

What should I deduce from the link you provided?

These last three seasons have been awesome. But they are the exception and not the rule. If we carry on progressing and become a top six club we''d sell out. But we all know football isn''t like that. We will have less exciting seasons and if we drop below expectations.....

Not moody NN, you just put my back up a bit.

The link surprised me a lot as I would not have put us so high on that list. What should you deduce from it? That there are a hell of a lot more Canary followers around than there are for all but sixteen other British clubs and that this has a direct bearing upon decisions about increasing ground capacity. That''s what!

You are not normally as negative Nutty.

Not moody NN, you just put my back up a bit.

The link surprised me a lot as I would not have put us so high on that list. What should you deduce from it? That there are a hell of a lot more Canary followers around than there are for all but sixteen other British clubs and that this has a direct bearing upon decisions about increasing ground capacity. That''s what!

You are not normally as negative Nutty.

[/quote]

I''m not at all negative. But I''m old. And I''ve got a long memory. I thought my point about Villa was relevant. As is my point about dropping below expectations.

To increase capacity by that amount will cost a lot of millions. That money has to come from somewhere. I''m worried that by nspending it on a new stand we will be in danger of losing demand for that extra capacity.

Don''t you like Pink Floyd[:^)]

We could get a few more thousand in on a regular basis easily, even in less successful times. Speculate to accu  ...etc.

McNally is no fool and this has been a consistent aim of his for some time now. It is access to consumer surveys like the link that they use to make such decisions surely?

Yes I like Pink Floyd. I thought it was the Beachboys you quoted though. [:$]

We could get a few more thousand in on a regular basis easily, even in less successful times. Speculate to accu  ...etc.

McNally is no fool and this has been a consistent aim of his for some time now. It is access to consumer surveys like the link that they use to make such decisions surely?

Yes I like Pink Floyd. I thought it was the Beachboys you quoted though. [:$]

[/quote]

You get around[;)]

If this were to be the case, the boot would be on the other foot and the club would need to try harder to attract support..... As it is, it''s basically cynical ploy on the part of the club to get your money upfront on a promise... or miss out. As there have been many more bad seasons than good over the past 14 years.... the scam has worked a treat.

Yes most definately! I am a nursing student and concequently have very little money BUT my ST is my pride and joy and cant imagine myself giving it up just because I might be able to easily get a ticket as and when I want one! I am also proud to say I have had my season ticket for x amount of years as so many people think im a glory hunter so I can always smugly reply with satisfaction that I am Norwich through and through, seen the ups, seen the downs, and gona make the most of the present!

26,600ish crowd today and when Leicester scored I thought we''d of seen Leicester jump up in the home end but we didn''t, although I heard in another part of the River End there were some Leicester fans on the quiet!

What also surprised me was the amount of non season ticket holders in my area and others too said the same thing in their areas!

I''d say there was more non ST holders than ST holders in my area!

I also heard of lots of ST holders who didn''t attend today!

I''d estimate there was more than 10,000 out of the crowd today who don''t go regularly!

From this we can firmly say that we''d have no problem filling a 32,000 ground and would be able to fill a 35,000 stadium on many occasions while in the Premiership!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

26,600ish crowd today and when Leicester scored I thought we''d of seen Leicester jump up in the home end but we didn''t, although I heard in another part of the River End there were some Leicester fans on the quiet!

What also surprised me was the amount of non season ticket holders in my area and others too said the same thing in their areas!

I''d say there was more non ST holders than ST holders in my area!

I also heard of lots of ST holders who didn''t attend today!

I''d estimate there was more than 10,000 out of the crowd today who don''t go regularly!

From this we can firmly say that we''d have no problem filling a 32,000 ground and would be able to fill a 35,000 stadium on many occasions while in the Premiership!

[/quote]

The attendance was very slightly less (130 or so) than for the Chelsea game. The away attendance - assuming a few hundred more than the 2,400 that was allowed - was obviously about the same as for that Chelsea game, which was presumably close to the limit of 2,700.

For your estimate of 10,000 non-regular Canary fans being present to be correct pretty much that same number - 10,000 - of season tickets holders would have had to have stayed away. I think that is highly unlikely.

22,000 ST holders + 2400 away fans = 24400

Useable capacity of 26816-24400 = 2416 casual tickets.

My estimate of 10,000 ST holders not attending

= 12416 non ST holders attending today!

Quite plausable!

Correction -

26600 crowd today.

10000 ST holders not attending

= 12000 ST holders attending

+ 2400 away fans

= 26600-14400 = 12200 non ST holders attending today!

Whatever the true facts and figures, the large crowd made up of in a big % by non ST holders shows that increasing ground capacity is justified!

22,000 ST holders + 2400 away fans = 24400

Useable capacity of 26816-24400 = 2416 casual tickets.

My estimate of 10,000 ST holders not attending

= 12416 non ST holders attending today!

Quite plausable!

[/quote]

GRD, I admire your constant optimism on this, I honestly do, but I really doubt that what you''re suggesting is plausible! Virtually half our ST holders not attending and their places being taken by casuals? If there is that much extra demand out there, how come the game wasn''t a sell-out? You are almost certainly placing too much emphasis on bits of anecdotal evidence, and making a few hundred non-regulars seem like several thousand.

OK 10,000 ST holders not attending the Leicester game is the extreme most and I''d imagine it was probably less but theirs no denying there was a lot of non ST holders and probably non members at the game today and I''m not talking about a few hundred!

I was shocked at the amount of non regulars in my part of the ground today and it was the same in other areas as well!

All in all this is more evidence that increasing the ground capacity is justisfied. Leicester could of taken another 2000 at least which takes the crowd up to 28600!

Like I''ve explained before when the amount of tickets left on sale ends up in the low hundreds or below, then most of these tickets are singles and many people want to buy seats with friends, family and or partners. This is particularly the case with mums and dads taking young kids who would not want to be split up from their parents. Another factor is many people don''t bother trying to buy tickets cause they think they haven''t got a chance. Many of these unsold seats would have been in the top of the terrace executive area in the Barclay which would be unsuitable for most casual fans cause they wouldn''t want or couldn''t afford them prices!

Questioning the need to increase capacity because we ONLY got 26,600, some 200 short of useable capacity, for an FA cup tie against a lower Division team is ridiculous!

Thankfully David Mcnally and Alan Bowkett are experienced enough to be able to see the potential the club has and the massive fanbase which requires a bigger ground capacity than just under 27,000!

OK 10,000 ST holders not attending the Leicester game is the extreme most and I''d imagine it was probably less but theirs no denying there was a lot of non ST holders and probably non members at the game today and I''m not talking about a few hundred!

I was shocked at the amount of non regulars in my part of the ground today and it was the same in other areas as well!

All in all this is more evidence that increasing the ground capacity is justisfied. Leicester could of taken another 2000 at least which takes the crowd up to 28600!

Like I''ve explained before when the amount of tickets left on sale ends up in the low hundreds or below, then most of these tickets are singles and many people want to buy seats with friends, family and or partners. This is particularly the case with mums and dads taking young kids who would not want to be split up from their parents. Another factor is many people don''t bother trying to buy tickets cause they think they haven''t got a chance. Many of these unsold seats would have been in the top of the terrace executive area in the Barclay which would be unsuitable for most casual fans cause they wouldn''t want or couldn''t afford them prices!

Questioning the need to increase capacity because we ONLY got 26,600, some 200 short of useable capacity, for an FA cup tie against a lower Division team is ridiculous!

Thankfully David Mcnally and Alan Bowkett are experienced enough to be able to see the potential the club has and the massive fanbase which requires a bigger ground capacity than just under 27,000!

[/quote]

But no one is questioning the need to increase capacity. I certainly am not. What I and others (such as David Cuffley) very much doubt is the oft-stated Bowkett/McNally business plan, which says we will sell out a 35,000-seat stadium for every game in the Premier League. And that is not just some vague ambition. That is their business plan. It matters that it works.

And for it to work we would need 35,000 for Wigan or Bolton at 3pm on a Saturday; 35,000 for a TV game with Swansea or QPR at 8pm on a Monday. Based on the likely economic situation for a few years to come (and if we continue to price teenagers as adults) I just don''t believe that is probable. And you don''t either. You have said on numerous occasions (including this thread) that with a 35,000-seat stadium we would average 32,000. So presumably 35,000 for some games and as low as 28,000 or 29,000 for others.

One for GRD to think about; and not maybe this backs ups or disproves his interesting post about how many season ticket holders were or were not in attendance and where they might have been sitting

We’ve been getting around 50 on the Capital Canaries train for most home games when we can travel direct from Liverpool Street. I’d say the vast majority of the travellers are season ticket holders. Yesterday we had 24 of which a larger percentage were not season ticket holders but took the chance to go a City game; three examples were one who was the girl friend of a season ticket holder, one who has recently become a father and was allowed out for the day. Another who lives on the south coast who gets to a couple of games a season.

Of our block of four I didn’t go yesterday as I was working; there was a possibility that could have got out of it but didn’t, Gemma was golfing; John and Adele had booked a holiday knowing it was a cup weekend. It’s not that we all didn’t want to go but it worked out that we had other things which were fitted in to our own diaries at the expense of a game which would have been more expense.

Of course this is a completely random attempt at working out how many season ticket holders went so I know it’s not an accurate representation etc etc but I thought I’d post as it might be of interest (or not).

Lower Barclay Block E around me I would say it was 50/50. That surprised me a little bit. But if anything that adds strength to the argument that if the capacity went up considerably less season tickets would be sold.

As a humouress aside, Helen and I took our seats at around 2:30. This old man needs to sit down for a while before the game[sn] A little later this young couple arrive in the seats next to us. Big lad, friendly and looking forward to being a "Barclay Boy". He looks at this old man with his stick accompanied by his daughter with concern. Then he quietly says "You do realise you''re in the rowdy part of the ground?" Bless him[;)]

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"] As it is, it''s basically cynical ploy on the part of the club to get your money upfront on a promise... or miss out.

[/quote]

Unless of course you pay for your season ticket on the 6,9 or 12 momth interest free payment scheme.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"] As it is, it''s basically cynical ploy on the part of the club to get your money upfront on a promise... or miss out.

[/quote]

Unless of course you pay for your season ticket on the 6,9 or 12 momth interest free payment scheme.

[/quote]The club know that they''re gonna get that money for that season though. OK some people may have to pull out of the scheme for financial reasons but that would only be a very small number I guess. With casual ticket sales there is no guarantee of income. Yes we know tickets are selling well now but a ST holder is guaranteed income for the club for each season but a casual ticket buyer is not. The club cannot predict how many casual tickets will be sold each game unless ricardo can get Snowy on the case.

["PurpleCanary"]

But no one is questioning the need to increase capacity. I certainly am not. What I and others (such as David Cuffley) very much doubt is the oft-stated Bowkett/McNally business plan, which says we will sell out a 35,000-seat stadium for every game in the Premier League. And that is not just some vague ambition. That is their business plan. It matters that it works.

And for it to work we would need 35,000 for Wigan or Bolton at 3pm on a Saturday; 35,000 for a TV game with Swansea or QPR at 8pm on a Monday. Based on the likely economic situation for a few years to come (and if we continue to price teenagers as adults) I just don''t believe that is probable. And you don''t either. You have said on numerous occasions (including this thread) that with a 35,000-seat stadium we would average 32,000. So presumably 35,000 for some games and as low as 28,000 or 29,000 for others.

I''ve seen many people on here and at games who question the need for increasing capacity, when in reality our crowds over the last 10 years prove otherwise including the 3rd Division season when we averaged just short of 25,000, something many clubs who are perceived as being better supported than us wouldn''t achieve!

Some people have this obsession that if a sell out isn''t achieved then any capacity increas isn''t needed but it really isn''t nowhere near as black and white as that. Like you mention I think if we had a 35,000+ capacity stadium then we''d likely be currently averaging 32/33,000. Now this doesn''t mean that the ground capacity of 35,000+ would be wrong because the reason we''d be able to average 32/33,000 is cause the ground held 35,000+ which would enable more fans to attend the games that were more popular like against the top 5 and some of the London teams!

While many fans have bemoaned the pricing increases under Mcnally, end of the day hes just playing on the fact we have near sell outs most of the time, the demand being higher than the supply factor. If we ever get in a position where the supply is larger than the demand then I think Mcnallys clever enough to reduce the prices accordingly. Yesterdays game was a prime example, cause many fans were questioning why this game should cost more than the Burnley 3rd round game, with Burnley and Leicester being in the same Division, yet after all the moans we were only 200 short of capacity and many of them were in pricey executive areas, fully justifying Mcnallys price structure! 

Interesting stuff from the Capital Canaries which backs up my claims that as many as nearly half of season ticket holders didn''t go yesterday. 50 Capital Canaries regulars for League games yet yesterday the numbers were halfed and many of them were non season ticket holders!

Also Aparently for the Spurs game just after xmas we could have broke our ATT record of just under 44,000 if we had the capacity, which would blow my 32/33,000 average crowd prediction out of the water! 

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]["PurpleCanary"]

I''ve seen many people on here and at games who question the need for increasing capacity, when in reality our crowds over the last 10 years prove otherwise including the 3rd Division season when we averaged just short of 25,000, something many clubs who are perceived as being better supported than us wouldn''t achieve!

Some people have this obsession that if a sell out isn''t achieved then any capacity increas isn''t needed but it really isn''t nowhere near as black and white as that. Like you mention I think if we had a 35,000+ capacity stadium then we''d likely be currently averaging 32/33,000. Now this doesn''t mean that the ground capacity of 35,000+ would be wrong because the reason we''d be able to average 32/33,000 is cause the ground held 35,000+ which would enable more fans to attend the games that were more popular like against the top 5 and some of the London teams!

While many fans have bemoaned the pricing increases under Mcnally, end of the day hes just playing on the fact we have near sell outs most of the time, the demand being higher than the supply factor. If we ever get in a position where the supply is larger than the demand then I think Mcnallys clever enough to reduce the prices accordingly. Yesterdays game was a prime example, cause many fans were questioning why this game should cost more than the Burnley 3rd round game, with Burnley and Leicester being in the same Division, yet after all the moans we were only 200 short of capacity and many of them were in pricey executive areas, fully justifying Mcnallys price structure! 

Interesting stuff from the Capital Canaries which backs up my claims that as many as nearly half of season ticket holders didn''t go yesterday. 50 Capital Canaries regulars for League games yet yesterday the numbers were halfed and many of them were non season ticket holders!

Also Aparently for the Spurs game just after xmas we could have broke our ATT record of just under 44,000 if we had the capacity, which would blow my 32/33,000 average crowd prediction out of the water! 

[/quote]

grd, I KNEW you would jump on those Capital Canary figures! Of course, by definition, those are people living outside Norfolk for whom getting to yesterday''s match would have involved a bit of a trek. I really, really don''t think you should read too much into them.

As for that comment from someone at the club about the Spurs game, I think it was ambiguous and there may have been a misunderstanding. McNally said a while ago that "we could have sold 35,000+ tickets for recent games." But that is presumably including season tickets, not as well as. I very much doubt there were 44,000 fans wanting to attend. McNally also said: "Games vs Arsenal & Tottenham this season only ones in history where we haven''t satisfied full demand from Super Members." That doesn''t suggest we are struggling that much to accommodate home fans most of the time.

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The club know that they''re gonna get that money for that season though. OK some people may have to pull out of the scheme for financial reasons but that would only be a very small number I guess.
With casual ticket sales there is no guarantee of income. Yes we know tickets are selling well now but a ST holder is guaranteed income for the club for each season but a casual ticket buyer is not. The club cannot predict how many casual tickets will be sold each game unless ricardo can get Snowy on the case.
[/quote]

I am assuming mark 15 that you are aiming your post at Cluckbert who wants the season ticket base shrunk as he has repeatedly slated season tickets on various threads and wants more tickets made available for casuals which to me is not sound financial business when trying to maximise your income from ticket sales.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

As a humouress aside, Helen and I took our seats at around 2:30. This old man needs to sit down for a while before the game[sn] A little later this young couple arrive in the seats next to us. Big lad, friendly and looking forward to being a "Barclay Boy". He looks at this old man with his stick accompanied by his daughter with concern. Then he quietly says "You do realise you''re in the rowdy part of the ground?" Bless him[;)]

[/quote]

Oh dear Nutty..........looks like the Aviva Community Stand is beckoning [;)]

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]The club know that they''re gonna get that money for that season though. OK some people may have to pull out of the scheme for financial reasons but that would only be a very small number I guess. With casual ticket sales there is no guarantee of income. Yes we know tickets are selling well now but a ST holder is guaranteed income for the club for each season but a casual ticket buyer is not. The club cannot predict how many casual tickets will be sold each game unless ricardo can get Snowy on the case. [/quote]So who is the only beneficiary when it came to all of those appalling seasons fans have endured? It means they didn''t have to work hard to stand still... a dangerous situation from the viewpoint of the supporter.If Smith had, had to put in some effort to keep the crowds levels up... I doubt we would ever have gone down to Division Three and we would have had a new owner taking the club forward.We are where we are by pure luck.

Only repeating what aparently a board member said to an aquantance of mine Purple!

Yes I did jump on the Capital Canary figures but was also surprised at the amount of non regulars around me in the stands. For me it was a throwback to the pre Worthy days when crowds of over 15,000 were considered big and cause most of the seats wern''t taken up by ST holders you got to see plenty of plenty of different faces. In the last 10 years with the large crowds and large % of ST holders you get used to seeing the same faces around you every game.

All I know is our crowds keep going up with every little summer minor expansion, cup games like yesterdays and the Burnley game prove that their is a significant amount of fans beyond our 24-26,000 who regularly go to games and still fans think we don''t need to expand ground capacity. Expanding the stadium goes hand and hand with trying to push the club onto bigger and better things which is why our ground capcity has gone up steadily in the last 10 years from under 22,000 to the current just short of 27,000 figure, which I expect will likely be surpassed next season if the club goes ahead with minor expansions works in the summer!

Heres hoping we stay up this season and next and then we''ll see some major expansion work!

["Alan BowCLUCK"]

As it is, it''s basically cynical ploy on the part of the club to get your money upfront on a promise... or miss out.

The club know that they''re gonna get that money for that season though. OK some people may have to pull out of the scheme for financial reasons but that would only be a very small number I guess. With casual ticket sales there is no guarantee of income. Yes we know tickets are selling well now but a ST holder is guaranteed income for the club for each season but a casual ticket buyer is not. The club cannot predict how many casual tickets will be sold each game unless ricardo can get Snowy on the case.

So who is the only beneficiary when it came to all of those appalling seasons fans have endured? It means they didn''t have to work hard to stand still... a dangerous situation from the viewpoint of the supporter.If Smith had, had to put in some effort to keep the crowds levels up... I doubt we would ever have gone down to Division Three and we would have had a new owner taking the club forward.We are where we are by pure luck.

For a start we are where are because Delia Smith and CO appointed messrs Mcnally and Bowkett who seem to know more about their jobs than jobs than what their predecessors did. Luck, maybe?

As for this ST arguement, this has been discussed over and over again in the past and the facts have been spelled out to Cluckbert very clearly who doesn''t seem to get it and seems to think he/she would do better than Delia Smith and CO!

The club are going to lean more towards supporters who commit to buying ST''s rather than someone who might go to a few games here and there. The same as a womens going to lean towards a bloke whos fully commited to her rather than another bloke who isn''t!

In these times of sell out/ near sell out crowds, the club can put high prices on the few casual tickets that remain which means that  for most people who aren''t rich which is most of us, buying a ST is the most cost effective way to watch Norwich regularly. All us oldies used to pay at the gate for years but I couldn''t afford to buy tickets match by match now and also I wouldn''t be guaranteed to get in!

If we didn''t have such a large fanbase then more casual tickets would be available and at a lower price!

You never know Cluckbert, in the future if we ever build Carrow Road up to 35,000+ and as many fans seem to think we don''t fill it regularly then we''ll have more casual fans turn up but where were they when we used to get 14,000 on most occasions?