Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Who would you buy in January / what type of players

January is almost here and we are told that Lambert want to bring in a few to "give the lads a hand"

Who have you got your eye on ?

What similar player either from city past or other teams ?

For me a Huckerby or Bellamy

Maybe Rhodes , Snodgrass , Whittingham or someone we have never heard of.

A box to box midfielder with an eye for goal

An Andy Johnson / Damien Francis

No Idea who

I think we have ample cover in defence we have not really been able to name a first choice centre half pairing all season and if Ayala and Ward are not good enough we should look to move one of them on before bringing someone else in.

Ruddy and Rudd have not let us down all season and I think De Laet is decent cover for full back either side , not to mention Russell Martin who will likely be called upon for the Spurs game due to Naughton being unavailable.

We certainly have the strongest squad in the clubs history it might be nice to have a flair player that can do things other people cant, like a Suarez I guess this is probably the next step in the progress of the squad. Maybe someone like Pacheco longer term.

Thoughts ?

KGloves, I totally agree that Pacheco should be that player that can take us to the next level, next summer. The big thing he has no ego and has already bought into Lamberts ethos.

Keep an eye on his twitter, I am sure he is coming over for the Spurs game. Would love a little chant for him.

I think you are right in regard to the defence, we have cover and we are looking for a commanding centre half who can shout and organize us. But I believe that will be the summer, unless a player can develop that in their game.

Midfield I woudl love a Whittingham, Snodgrass and again another tough general who again has experience.

A striker may be nearer the top of the list now with injury to Vaughan, but a striker could be an option.

Like I have said it is exciting isn''t it?

In my opinion we need a flair play, a Huckerby, someone who gets the crowd excited everytime he gets the ball.

We have a very solid squad, 2 more than adequate full backs, 2/3 capable centre halves, Fox, Crofts and BJ all do a job, 2 proper wingers and 2 strikers that have had no problem scoring goals.

We can fit them all into good formations and systems.

However, I feel we miss a spark, a player that can make something happen out of nothing, that can beat a man. Royston Drenthe completly changed the game for Everton when he came on, he was exciting, confident and took people on, we dont have that.

For me Wes doesnt do it, he''s not cut out for the Prem and makes too many wrong decisions.

The question is who?

I agree with you CDM - a player like that would be great.

Problem is, if you want a proven player in that mould, you''re looking at £7m+. The only way I can see a really top calibre player coming in would be if we were to sign Naughton permanently and then get a loan in from one of the big 4.

Otherwise, someone like Albert Adomah or Matt Phillips (although I note he''s been out on loan at Sheff Utd, so not sure what''s up there). A player like Lallana would be great, but again I don''t think we have the money or the gravitas to lure him from St Mary''s.

I''m not sure who else there is. Players like Darren Ambrose, Snodgrass and Whittingham don''t fill me with masses of excitement. I don''t think Whittingham offers as much as Pilkington and probably not much better than Surman if at all. Snodgrass probably isn''t going to be worth the kind of money we''d have to pay to get him, and again he doesn''t have pace which is what we need. Ambrose is an interesting one - I think he could do a job, but I gather he''s lost a bit of pace over the last couple of years - definitely a good player though.

We will see - I trust Lambo, and he knows a lot better than I do without a doubt!

I don''t think we should crazy in the transfer window. In fact, I hope we sign nobody.Lots of people keep talking about us needing to strengthen, although the evidence is against this being a good strategy. In the past three seasons, there has been no evidence at all that the January transfer window holds any benefits for clubs in avoiding relegation.Consider the evidence...Last season:Of the teams in the relegation mix at Christmas time, only West Ham made any significant signings in the transfer window. They finished bottom.Wolves, Stoke and West Brom stuck with what they had, and survived (the latter two comfortably).Newcastle traded in their star player for Shefki Kuqi and finished mid table.Blackburn''s, Wigan''s and Bolton''s January total purchases yielded 8 starts between them. Anyone remember Piscu? Thought not.The season before:Burnley made a couple of deadline day signings, but this didn''t stop them from being relegated.Wolves'' two signings never played.Bolton''s one signing played 2 games.Sunderland''s one signing made 6 starts.Wigan signed Conor Sammon (who always seems to get traded in the transfer window). He hardly set the world on fire!Stoke signed Begovic, a fantastic player, but he didn''t get a run in the team until the season after.Fulham signed someone called Buchtmann. Never heard of him.West Ham made one signing (Ilan) who did score them some vital goals. However, they blotted their copybook by also signing Benni McCarthy at the same time, who was awful for them.Season 08/09:The only team to spend much money was Newcastle, who went into freefall, despite their new players being decent.Hull signed Jimmy Bullard for an inflated fee, a player nobody else would touch with a bargepole due to his injury record. We soon found out why!Sunderland made no purchases and were fine.Blackburn signed Blackman (who?) and Nielsen (who?). Also El Hadji Diouf, who only mustered one goal for them.Bolton signed Mark Davies from Leicester - a steady purchase, but hardly one to change a season.Portsmouth splashed out, admittedly, on 3 decent players. But they were always happy to pay over the odds. With disastrous consequences.Stoke signed Matt Etherington (good buy), but paid over the odds for James Beattie as well, who never managed to do anything for them.Wigan signed Watson and NZogbia, but only because they lost three of their star players in the transfer window (Heskey, Palacios and Taylor).SO... what I am trying to show, is that most canny managers seem to realise that the January transfer window is far from being a surefire way of securing safety. Most manage without notable recourse to it. Players'' wages and transfer fees are massively overinflated, with agents and selling clubs calling the shots. It may be a viable option for the Liverpools and Chelseas of this world, but you can only do well out of the transfer window if you have a pretty blase attitude to it and don''t mind shouldering heavy losses.If we really splash out in January, we are playing a risky strategy. We will be following in the footsteps of Avram Grant''s West Ham, Portsmouth prior to administration, and Joe Kinnear''s Newcastle.I think Paul Lambert and McNally are far too acute strategists to allow us to fall for the January transfer trap. We might get in a lower-league star in the making if the price is right, but even if this happens I would expect them to be more of a long-term purchase.

I think we''ll be going for two midfield players, a striker and signing Naughton on a permanent, so releasing a loan spot that could be used for one of the other positions. 

Fascinating reading, Kolin. Either you have an encyclopaedic memory or you''ve got loads of reference books etc to know all this stuff !

PL has already made some rather disparaging remarks re the Jan transfer window; but I''m sure he''ll be looking to bring the right bodies in. Still not sure how , under the Prem squad number rules, we can bring in significant reinforcements without letting a few go. Perhaps that''s all in hand as we speak.

Norwich''s record in the Jan window has not been too bad, with Ashton, Hucks, Earnie being good examples . Overall, I cannot really see much point in bringing anybody in unless they are better than what''s here already . On another thread, somone is touting Kris Boyd. A case in point. Is he really any improvement over Wilbraham ? If not, why saddle ourselves with his wages . Still would like to see a quality defender who has experience of the Prem brought in, even if it costs. Hardly anyone in the squad has known what it''s like to be in a Prem dogfight, and I''m sure that''ll be a BIG factor over the Feb to Apr period.

Would love to see Adam Lallana here, and I think is a perfect Paul Lambert signing. Reckon signing him for 3-4 million would be a very astute buy. Just a case of persuading Southampton/him that it is worth the move

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

Fascinating reading, Kolin. Either you have an encyclopaedic memory or you''ve got loads of reference books etc to know all this stuff !

PL has already made some rather disparaging remarks re the Jan transfer window; but I''m sure he''ll be looking to bring the right bodies in. Still not sure how , under the Prem squad number rules, we can bring in significant reinforcements without letting a few go. Perhaps that''s all in hand as we speak.

Norwich''s record in the Jan window has not been too bad, with Ashton, Hucks, Earnie being good examples . Overall, I cannot really see much point in bringing anybody in unless they are better than what''s here already . On another thread, somone is touting Kris Boyd. A case in point. Is he really any improvement over Wilbraham ? If not, why saddle ourselves with his wages . Still would like to see a quality defender who has experience of the Prem brought in, even if it costs. Hardly anyone in the squad has known what it''s like to be in a Prem dogfight, and I''m sure that''ll be a BIG factor over the Feb to Apr period.

[/quote]No encyclopaedic memory - just the Internet!Norwich''s deadline

day signings have been good in the past, but I think things have

changed. Firstly, we''re in the Premiership now, and that means that any

Champ club is going to add a million or two to the price of any player.

Also, the big boys have inflated the market drastically since the days

we signed Earnshaw, Ashton and Huckerby.I think you are right

that an experienced player could be a bonus, but only the right player,

and more for a squad capacity to add experience to the way the team go

about any potential dogfight. Just might be good to have someone like

Rory Delap or similar around the dressing room, someone who''s been there

and done it before, but might not necessarily play much.I

wouldn''t sell anyone either, apart from Oli Johnson - who has basically

already left. Maybe loan some players out. We''ve been fairly lucky with

injuries so far, but we never know when we could be stretched. I would

not be surprised to see Korey Smith, Aaron Wilbraham or Simon Lappin get

a run out at some point, so would be reluctant to see them go. They are

decent squad players. It is interesting to note that the likes of QPR

and Swansea have kept players on their books that everyone thought they

would be getting rid of, and in some cases (eg Helguson) it is these

players that have made the most difference. I''m sure QPR fans are more

glad to have a solid pro like Helguson this season than they are to have

Kieron Dyer.

I think that we need a strong, dominant midfielder. We have accurate passers and tough tacklers, but I feel that we need a midfielder who can storm forward and make things happen, either by an astute pass or a strong shot at goal. Many teams have one of these, but we seem to lack these, at least in the first team squad. It may be that we have to sign someone at the top of the PL age range, because experience is as important as native skill.

We need a striker who can beat the keeper from the edge of the area. I''m told that Rhodes packs a powerful shot, and I would certainly be happy for him to come.

Eventually we shall need one or two central defenders who are good in the air and on the ground, and above all can maintain concentration. How far our present incumbents could become this if they stay free from serious injury, I don''t know. I suspect that Ward may be past it and de Laet will return to his club. Whitbread has skill, but a run of injuries, while Ayala is unknown and Russell is very effective but something of a makeshift. This leaves Barnett, who certainly is quick and good in the air, and could improve. His problem sems to be one of concentration.

Unless one or two players move away, or loanees sign full-time, the size of squad limitation may restrict us to one or two at most. In which case I would want the midfielder and striker. What we do not need, with all respect to them, are one or two 22 year olds who areeither very  raw if promising, but not playing regularly for their present clubs.

A left back, as I''m not sure if Drury is going to be up to the Premier League and Lappin likewise. One of the srengths of Lambert and his coaches has been the ability to bring players in then bring them up to the standard, type/attitude we need. Tierney has been rock solid but injuries and suspensions happen. We don''t want to be reshuffling should that happen, find someone before then.

Otherwise more of the same. We have been reasonably lucky with injuries. Whitbread was missed but we did have reasonable cover, whereas the loss of both Holt and Morison would leave us exceedingly short. Not sure if Wilbrham will be able to step up or if Martin will be up to it either.

January should be about the long term rather than ''short term'' boost. Maybe a few more will need to go out on loan or sale. Either way I expect at least a couple of players coming in, the least.

City Ist makes some good points. I''m not sure whether avoiding injuries is just down to a matter of luck; fitness has a hell of a lot to do with it. Of course there will always be the one off leg break or cruciate rupture (eg Vidic at MU), but I''m convinced that one of the reasons that we seem to have overall fewer injuries under PL than we did 3 or 4 yrs ago, is that the whole squad''s fitness is of a much higher level.

Which has a telling point in who we get in in Jan. As Salopian says , the danger with bringing raw 22yo players or those who are not fully fit in Jan  is that they themselves risk injury if played straight away . If they are not fully fit up to PL''s standard, then how long will it take to get them that way ? If it''s a while, then it may be rather a waste of time and resources . On the other hand, if we can unearth a fully fit, experienced Prem player who is surplus to requirements at his club, then that would be a good piece of business, to my mind.

Some possible signings:

Position, Name, Club, Age, Value, Nationality.

CB, Michele Canini, Cagliari Calcio (Seria A), 26, Â£3.3, Itailian

GK, Raphael Shäfer, 1.FC Nuremburg (1.Bundesliga), 30, £2m, German

ST, Jordan Rhodes, Huddersfield Town (League One), 21, £1m, English

If you want to find the market value of any player, go to http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/jordan-rhodes/profil/spieler_48950.html

Really helpful and quite accurate.

[quote user="Salopian"]

I think that we need a strong, dominant midfielder. We have accurate passers and tough tacklers, but I feel that we need a midfielder who can storm forward and make things happen, either by an astute pass or a strong shot at goal. Many teams have one of these, but we seem to lack these, at least in the first team squad. It may be that we have to sign someone at the top of the PL age range, because experience is as important as native skill.

We need a striker who can beat the keeper from the edge of the area. I''m told that Rhodes packs a powerful shot, and I would certainly be happy for him to come.

Eventually we shall need one or two central defenders who are good in the air and on the ground, and above all can maintain concentration. How far our present incumbents could become this if they stay free from serious injury, I don''t know. I suspect that Ward may be past it and de Laet will return to his club. Whitbread has skill, but a run of injuries, while Ayala is unknown and Russell is very effective but something of a makeshift. This leaves Barnett, who certainly is quick and good in the air, and could improve. His problem sems to be one of concentration.

Unless one or two players move away, or loanees sign full-time, the size of squad limitation may restrict us to one or two at most. In which case I would want the midfielder and striker. What we do not need, with all respect to them, are one or two 22 year olds who areeither very  raw if promising, but not playing regularly for their present clubs.

[/quote]I agree with what you''re saying in theory, but I think it is unlikely that we are going to find anything better than what we already have at anything near a sensible price, with the exception of players who are out of the picture at their clubs and so will take a while to bed in.A lot has been made of our defence and its shortcomings. But the fact is, we have shortcomings all over the pitch. Do not take this to be a criticism of our wonderful football team - it is not. These shortcomings are only to be expected in a newly-promoted side, with players still finding their feet at this level. Most of our players are lower Premiership quality, but that is what we are - a lower Premiership side. I am sure Paul Lambert busted a gut to get the best players he possibly could in the close-season, and he did a fantastic job in getting such a committed, workaholic, good-spirited, and reasonably talented squad together. But the step up in quality to the "next level" of players who bring something special also incurs a disproportionate step up in investment, because then you are competing with established PL sides with considerably more resources behind them - the Fulhams, Aston Villas, Tottenhams of this world.I think there is a reason why Paul Lambert bought eight players at the start of the season as soon as he could. He didn''t want to be in the position of having to worry too much about bringing in and bedding in players at this point in the season.

I would like to see a leader at centre back - I still think what we have are all much of a muchness, they may be pricey but a new bruce is waht we need - commanding yet an organiser and leader.

In midfield lots of posters have pointed out that real flair player - how they woudl fit into a tight squad is a challenge but exactly what we need - I would also like to see McGugan come here.

[quote user="City1st"]

A left back, as I''m not sure if Drury is going to be up to the Premier League and Lappin likewise. One of the srengths of Lambert and his coaches has been the ability to bring players in then bring them up to the standard, type/attitude we need. Tierney has been rock solid but injuries and suspensions happen. We don''t want to be reshuffling should that happen, find someone before then.

Otherwise more of the same. We have been reasonably lucky with injuries. Whitbread was missed but we did have reasonable cover, whereas the loss of both Holt and Morison would leave us exceedingly short. Not sure if Wilbrham will be able to step up or if Martin will be up to it either.

January should be about the long term rather than ''short term'' boost. Maybe a few more will need to go out on loan or sale. Either way I expect at least a couple of players coming in, the least.

[/quote]I would be very surprised if this is top of PL''s priorities. We have De Laet who can play in this position as well. Paul Lambert does not keep players out of loyalty either - if he didn''t feel Lappin had something to offer at this level as cover or otherwise, he would have been transfer-listed.

[quote user="calriv"]

Some possible signings:

Position, Name, Club, Age, Value, Nationality.

CB, Michele Canini, Cagliari Calcio (Seria A), 26, Â£3.3, Itailian

GK, Raphael Shäfer, 1.FC Nuremburg (1.Bundesliga), 30, £2m, German

ST, Jordan Rhodes, Huddersfield Town (League One), 21, £1m, English

If you want to find the market value of any player, go to http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/jordan-rhodes/profil/spieler_48950.html

Really helpful and quite accurate.

[/quote]Accurate though this might be, I would be amazed if we could sign Rhodes for a million in January. However, in the close season, particularly if Huddersfield are still in League One, this would be a realistic figure. Add £1m at least to anything you see on there in January now that we are a Premiership club.Any player bought from overseas would most likely be a squad player at first, with a view to them adapting to the league and working their way into the picture more in 2012-13

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I would like to see a leader at centre back - I still think what we have are all much of a muchness, they may be pricey but a new bruce is waht we need - commanding yet an organiser and leader.

In midfield lots of posters have pointed out that real flair player - how they woudl fit into a tight squad is a challenge but exactly what we need - I would also like to see McGugan come here.[/quote]I doubt we''ll find more of a flair player than Hoolahan without paying through the nose for it - and Hoolahan is not an automatic starter.

Kolin some fair points. I certianly however feel that we can use January as a stepping stone and pick up a few acquisitions, but only if the price is right and that they want to buy into Lamberts (and Norwich''s) ethos.

I think centre back will not be looked at, I do however think the comments regarding an experienced head is good. It is a shame Mancienne is now in Germany, a young player who has played in the prem, england u-21 and has learnt under the the chelsea regime. Funny that I clasify him as experienced, but his knowledge would be good enough and he could develop into a great captain. But can''t see that or anyone coming in at this stage. I do however think we need that level head and midfield is where we may need it.

I think we do need players, I have said previously that all our players are very good but none stand-out. I have said that I believe our players are all players whom I would rate as 7/10, no one player excels and has a higher rating. Lambert was brilliant in the Summer to bring that level across the first team squad and more importantly over those on the fringes. But this could be down to the scout we had last year.

From what I recall we have a new head scout from earlier this season and I am certain that we will be following the same route. We have always looked at additions at this stage and I think that has been great as the team has to play a little differently in the second half of the season as teams watch tape and begin to stop your traditional approach. I also think it is a time when we can look to sign players who can offer for 2-3 years hence players that will flourish in this league.

I think it is a very exciting Janaury that hopefully can assist in our campaign to stay in this division and lead us into the Summer where we can add to this very good young squad.

[quote user="smooth"]

I think we do need players, I have said previously that all our players are very good but none stand-out. I have said that I believe our players are all players whom I would rate as 7/10, no one player excels and has a higher rating. Lambert was brilliant in the Summer to bring that level across the first team squad and more importantly over those on the fringes. But this could be down to the scout we had last year.

[/quote]

I entirely agree that we have no stand-out team members. But we can''t afford stand-out players (unless we take the Lambert route of getting players in and working on their game). We can''t compete in that market. It is too risky. We''d only really be going for a player on the slide if we want someone with mercurial quality - as we couldn''t afford a young player like that. This would mean going after a former great at an established side - someone like Louis Saha, say - an undeniably great player but someone whose "risk factor" in age or injuries would be reflected in an affordable price - though still not cheap at all. Sometimes these gambles pay off (Phil Neville at Everton, Danny Murphy at Fulham, Michel Salgado at Blackburn, Di Canio at West Ham) - but for every player like that, there''s examples such as Benito Carbone, Stan Collymore, Jimmy Bullard etc. - who ended up being more corrosive influences at their later clubs due to their waning influence and frustration at not being the player they once were.

"I''m not sure whether avoiding injuries is just down to a matter of luck"

It was more a figure of speech, though I would agree that the training and fitness levels will help with avoiding these silly 4 week or so injuries. Much of what Lambert and his coaches has improved the players competiveness so I don''t doubt this area has been looked into.

"I would be very surprised if this is top of PL''s priorities"

Then you probably have not read my post. With limited or possibly no long term cover for a left back now IS the time to bring in somebody to get them up to speed so to speak. As to Lappin you have no idea whether he is on the transfer list or not. Otherwise as before it will be the longer term we will be looking at rather than any immediate replacements.

[quote user="City1st"]

"I would be very surprised if this is top of PL''s priorities"

Then you probably have not read my post. With limited or possibly no long term cover for a left back now IS the time to bring in somebody to get them up to speed so to speak. As to Lappin you have no idea whether he is on the transfer list or not. Otherwise as before it will be the longer term we will be looking at rather than any immediate replacements.

[/quote]fair play - I kind of missed what you meant. It might be an idea to get in a youngish left back and integrate them into the team, in a similar way to how Tierney was integrated last season.I think if Lappin was on the transfer list in the Summer he''d have been snapped up. It would be a travesty if he wasn''t - I could see him as captain material for a Championship team, as he has great attitude and is a solid professional.

[quote user="Beauseant"]I think we''ll be going for two midfield players, a striker and signing Naughton on a permanent, so releasing a loan spot that could be used for one of the other positions. [/quote]

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]I think we''ll be going for two midfield players, a striker and signing Naughton on a permanent, so releasing a loan spot that could be used for one of the other positions. [/quote][/quote]