Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Now that was pure s###e!!

From minute 1 it was clear we were going to get nothing tonight. Backing off so much it was almost a training groung exercise for Spurs. It was a shambles all round and a miracle we survived the first half with a clean sheet! I dont get what Lamberts tactics were tonight, was it a defend to the death exercise or were we just clueless?? God knows, but it was by far Tottenhams easiest 3 points so far this season, they barely broke a sweat. Every city player contributed nothing but garbage tonight. A repeat perfomance like this next week will really take the wind out the sails so I pray that this is a one of. Urrgghh.

People moan about us being compared to Blackpool but tonight showed just why they do , with all the big clubs still to visit Carrow Road and points hard to come by away we will be sailing very close to the bottom 3 come the seasons end .

It''s the diamond formation, why on earth is Lambert still attempting it, what more does he need to show it does not work in the prem.it wasn''t the fact we lost today so convincely that pissed me off, but just hpow we set up. we never looked a threat, just like we didn''t against everton, we need some pace and width in the team despartely!!

agreed... was never happy watching that (and had to get up at 5:30am to watch)... knew we wouldn''t stop them scoring but did it have to be Finn from Glee to score against us???Pilkington gave a little bit of oomph and it was easier when we had some width but the game was over then

[quote user="Prem1"]People moan about us being compared to Blackpool but tonight showed just why they do ,[/quote]No it didn''t.  Blackpool were all about "we''re going to score more than you" and would throw players forward at will.  Tonight we sat deep and looked for a point, and got what we deserved.  Lambert''s a much better tactician than Holloway but he got it badly wrong tonight.

I dont think it was more tactics than players.

You have some terrific attacking players out wide in the form Bale, Van Der Fart, Walker and players like Parker and Modric to find them with good passing.

The last thing I would want to put up against them is a diamond midfield leaving them space out wide to attack.

Also not a game where Hoolahan was ever going to find it easy.

Having said that I was impressed with Surman who not only passed the ball well but was getting stuck in tackling and battling too. I think a more central role suits him better.

Pilkington looked good. Bennett looks short of confidence.

But to me although we did well first half I thought signs were there that it needed to change.

This was a repeat of the Arsenal and Man City games; problem is, they were a repeat of the Liverpool and ManU games where we looked half-decent on the break.

Now the teams know our ''on the break'' tactics, this gameplan will not work.

Well done Drury though.

I''m not one to criticise too easily, but it was bad...bloody bad! I remember myself thinking after 5 mins They''re all over us...no hope! And it didn''t change. That last bit, is what I''m most frustrated about. Somehow we got to HT 0-0! I thought now we may come out of the dressing room and give it a go...blimey ... We just stood of them and I think there going to be some work to be done otherwise we''re going to find the going tough!

lets have a bit of reality here. We are miles behind Spurs and we had no chance of going toe to toe with them, if we had we would have lost by  4 or 5 .It was dissapointing in the final 3rd with poor quailty to  Holt and Morison but they just don''t  let you play and you get little time on the ball with Modric and Parker dominating the midfield.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Prem1"]People moan about us being compared to Blackpool but tonight showed just why they do ,[/quote]No it didn''t.  Blackpool were all about "we''re going to score more than you" and would throw players forward at will.  Tonight we sat deep and looked for a point, and got what we deserved.  Lambert''s a much better tactician than Holloway but he got it badly wrong tonight.[/quote] I think they compare us on the fact we are a newly promoted club that have started well but will eventually get relegated more than actual style of play , many more performances like that and they will be proved right .

[quote user="morrisons black eye"]lets have a bit of reality here. We are miles behind Spurs and we had no chance of going toe to toe with them, if we had we would have lost by  4 or 5 .It was dissapointing in the final 3rd with poor quailty to  Holt and Morison but they just don''t  let you play and you get little time on the ball with Modric and Parker dominating the midfield.
[/quote]

True, we had no chance of going toe to toe with Man Utd, Chesea and Liverpool. Oh wait a minute......

We were just poor today, no excuses, tactics were just wrong.

I think we will bounce back though, under Lambert we always do.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="morrisons black eye"]lets have a bit of reality here. We are miles behind Spurs and we had no chance of going toe to toe with them, if we had we would have lost by  4 or 5 .It was dissapointing in the final 3rd with poor quailty to  Holt and Morison but they just don''t  let you play and you get little time on the ball with Modric and Parker dominating the midfield.[/quote]

True, we had no chance of going toe to toe with Man Utd, Chesea and Liverpool. Oh wait a minute......

[/quote]So what tatics would you have employed to combat Spurs goal threat as well as trying to be a threat ourselves.

I think this is one of those occasions when you just have to hold your hands upand say that we were beaten by a very good team. You could argue that we gave them too much space, but I think it was more a case of Spurs creating their own space by movement off the ball, and by crisp, accurate passing right through the game. Most teams have an "off" spell during a game, but Spurs didn''t tonight - they were totally solid from the first minute to the last, and I honestly believe they are real contenders for the Premier title.We, on the other hand, are an average mid-table Premier league side, and our important matches are our last three and our next two, rather than tonight''s game. I think we can beat Fulham, and we can then forget tonight.It''s a pity Gareth Bale isn''t English, though.[:(]

[quote user="morrisons black eye"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="morrisons black eye"]lets have a bit of reality here. We are miles behind Spurs and we had no chance of going toe to toe with them, if we had we would have lost by  4 or 5 .It was dissapointing in the final 3rd with poor quailty to  Holt and Morison but they just don''t  let you play and you get little time on the ball with Modric and Parker dominating the midfield.
[/quote]

[/quote]
So what tatics would you have employed to combat Spurs goal threat as well as trying to be a threat ourselves.
[/quote]

I would have got them to pust up alot more. Simples

Wouldn''t say it was shiite, just disappointing we couldn''t lay a glove on them. Quality gap but the defence and Ruddy get honourable mentions. The plan must have been to hold them out until we could have a go with the wide men, but the second goal killed us off. Failed against a top side, no disgrace at all.

There are so many of you going on about tactics but for me the most disappointing thing was giving Tottenham the ball.

I started to count part way in how many times we either passed to a Tottenham player, sent a long ball over the top that ended up with a Tottenham player or when Ruddy booted it out to a Tottenham player....needless to say I lost count.

Both the goals we gave away was by....giving the ball away or cheaply loosing the ball to a Tottenham player.

KEEP POSSESSION...the first thing we were taught about football at primary school.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]There are so many of you going on about tactics but for me the most disappointing thing was giving Tottenham the ball.

I started to count part way in how many times we either passed to a Tottenham player,
sent a long ball over the top that ended up with a Tottenham player or when Ruddy booted it out to a Tottenham player....needless to say I lost count.

Both the goals we gave away was by....giving the ball away or cheaply loosing the ball to a Tottenham player.

KEEP POSSESSION...the first thing we were taught about football at primary school.[/quote]Exactly how I saw it.  Passing let us down badly today.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]There are so many of you going on about tactics but for me the most disappointing thing was giving Tottenham the ball.

I started to count part way in how many times we either passed to a Tottenham player, sent a long ball over the top that ended up with a Tottenham player or when Ruddy booted it out to a Tottenham player....needless to say I lost count.

KEEP POSSESSION...the first thing we were taught about football at primary school.[/quote]Easier said than done when the oppostion shut you down and close off your passing options .  Give Spurs credit our players hardly had time on the ball before there was a Spurs player in your face . Modric and Parker wotk extremly hard in the middle and spurs as a whole just close you down in no time . That is why these guys are worth millions and are man for man just to good compared to your mid table to lower table prem player.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="morrisons black eye"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="morrisons black eye"]lets have a bit of reality here. We are miles behind Spurs and we had no chance of going toe to toe with them, if we had we would have lost by  4 or 5 .It was dissapointing in the final 3rd with poor quailty to  Holt and Morison but they just don''t  let you play and you get little time on the ball with Modric and Parker dominating the midfield.[/quote]

[/quote]So what tatics would you have employed to combat Spurs goal threat as well as trying to be a threat ourselves.[/quote]

[/quote] LOL of course why didn''t lambert think of that .

[quote user="priceyrice"]It''s the diamond formation, why on earth is Lambert still attempting it, what more does he need to show it does not work in the prem.it wasn''t the fact we lost today so convincely that pissed me off, but just hpow we set up. we never looked a threat, just like we didn''t against everton, we need some pace and width in the team despartely!![/quote]

I said this in the live feed and someone ripped me to shreds. It''s so true, we looked comfortable in 4-5-1, and kept the ball so much better. We simply had no midfield and no attack tonight.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]From minute 1 it was clear we were going to get nothing tonight. Backing off so much it was almost a training groung exercise for Spurs. It was a shambles all round and a miracle we survived the first half with a clean sheet! I dont get what Lamberts tactics were tonight, was it a defend to the death exercise or were we just clueless?? God knows, but it was by far Tottenhams easiest 3 points so far this season, they barely broke a sweat. Every city player contributed nothing but garbage tonight. A repeat perfomance like this next week will really take the wind out the sails so I pray that this is a one of. Urrgghh.[/quote]

[quote user="morrisons black eye"][quote user="Canary Boy"]There are so many of you going on about tactics but for me the most disappointing thing was giving Tottenham the ball.

KEEP POSSESSION...the first thing we were taught about football at primary school.[/quote]Easier said than done when the oppostion shut you down and close off your passing options .  Give Spurs credit our players hardly had time on the ball before there was a Spurs player in your face . Modric and Parker wotk extremly hard in the middle and spurs as a whole just close you down in no time . That is why these guys are worth millions and are man for man just to good compared to your mid table to lower table prem player.[/quote]I really can''t see it as simply Spurs were better and that''s that.Take the Arsenal game, we were beaten by a much classier team,but I was no where near disappointed because we strung a few passes together and had a go.Tonight we didn''t and that''s taking into consideration that Spurs were a lot better.

Reality check needed here I think!

Even if we''d of had the game of our life its likely Spurs would have still pulled through!

We were always going to lose games this season and this was always a likely one!

The diamond worked well in our best win of the season against a Newcastle side who''ve been in good form this season. It also worked at Everton and Wolves two away games I''m sure we''d of lost in our last Premiership season. In the end we looked better when we got the wingers on but hindsights a wonderful talent that none of us pocess!

My only critiscisms of Norwich tonight is that we must stop trying to outpass superior teams cause it isn''t going to happen. We have to mke use of our best weapons which are Morisons and Holts aerial ability in the box. Any dead balls should be pumped intot he oppostiions area to put them under pressure and give messrs Holt and Morison a chance to head at goal. Also we should cross whenever we can which we did when Bennett and Pilkington came on.

My other critiscism was Morisons lack of effort. He seemed to give up in the 2nd half which isn''t good enough!

Have to agree. Arsenal looked a better side than Spurs but it felt and looked easier for Spurs today.

I would have played a 4-4-2 with Wes in a free role behind Holt or Morrison. Pilkington starting on the right Surman on the left and Fox and Johnson in the middle.

Having said that I think after his last few performances Surman could battle Fox for that midfield birth which could mean Bennett comes into the wing again.

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"][quote user="morrisons black eye"][quote user="Canary Boy"]There are so many of you going on about tactics but for me the most disappointing thing was giving Tottenham the ball.

KEEP POSSESSION...the first thing we were taught about football at primary school.[/quote]Easier said than done when the oppostion shut you down and close off your passing options .  Give Spurs credit our players hardly had time on the ball before there was a Spurs player in your face . Modric and Parker wotk extremly hard in the middle and spurs as a whole just close you down in no time . That is why these guys are worth millions and are man for man just to good compared to your mid table to lower table prem player.[/quote]I really can''t see it as simply Spurs were better and that''s that.Take the Arsenal game, we were beaten by a much classier team,but I was no where near disappointed because we strung a few passes together and had a go.Tonight we didn''t and that''s taking into consideration that Spurs were a lot better. [/quote]I think it was simply because Spurs were to good. They just outclassed us why can''t we just except it at time . They have made a lot of teams this year look silly and that is established prem teams.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="morrisons black eye"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
So what tatics would you have employed to combat Spurs goal threat as well as trying to be a threat ourselves.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You can''t play a high line and push up much when your playing Gareth Bale mate and when they have a player like Modric who can pick passes the way he does.

Silly comment.

[quote user="morrisons black eye"][quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"][quote user="morrisons black eye"][quote user="Canary Boy"]There are so many of you going on about tactics but for me the most disappointing thing was giving Tottenham the ball.

KEEP POSSESSION...the first thing we were taught about football at primary school.[/quote]Easier said than done when the oppostion shut you down and close off your passing options .  Give Spurs credit our players hardly had time on the ball before there was a Spurs player in your face . Modric and Parker wotk extremly hard in the middle and spurs as a whole just close you down in no time . That is why these guys are worth millions and are man for man just to good compared to your mid table to lower table prem player.[/quote]I really can''t see it as simply Spurs were better and that''s that.Take the Arsenal game, we were beaten by a much classier team,but I was no where near disappointed because we strung a few passes together and had a go.Tonight we didn''t and that''s taking into consideration that Spurs were a lot better. [/quote]I think it was simply because Spurs were to good. They just outclassed us why can''t we just except it at time . They have made a lot of teams this year look silly and that is established prem teams.

[/quote]

Interestingly, I''ve just seen Harry''s post match interview. Pretty much the first thing he said was "ball possession" - you MUST keep the ball...the most important thing. If you''re in possession, you control the game.

Yes, Tottenham are a much, much better team that us...I admit that. But we made it sooooo easy for them by passing the ball to them, which immediately puts you under pressure again.