Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

35K Capacity Stadium

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

This vision of the future of a 35,000 capacity Carrow Road when finances allow, is an old chestnut that goes back to the Neil Doncaster era!

I think in the Premiership we could average over 30,000 and certainly fill a 35,000 Carrow Road against the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea,  the Derby against Ips*it and for games where issues are decided on the day like big Cup games (if we ever have a good cup run ever again!!) and promotion/relegation deciders.

Certainly crowds since the Worthy era back this up. To average just under 25,000 (24700) in the 3rd Division 2 seasons ago was an amazing statistic that has gone under the radar cause we''re "Little backwater club Norwich" in the eyes of more than a few outside East Anglia!

This season I think its likely we won''t see a League crowd under 26,000 this season. To get over 26,000 on a Monday night for a game live on SKY (and in many bars around the City) is very impressive and even surprised myself!

[/quote]

I am a long-time sceptic as far as the need for a much bigger stadium is concerned. I am not at all convinced there are seven or eight thousand extra Norwich fans out there, which is what you would need to fill a 35,000-seater stadium. But would be very glad for you to be proved right and me wrong. What worries me, reading this comment from McNally...

Mr McNally said the 35,000 figure would “produce a self-sustainable Premier League football club”, but the current capacity of 27,000 would not.

...is that the club may have fallen victim to the temptation of doing the maths the wrong way round. The correct way is to study attendance figures over decades (which certainly don''t suggest there is a massive untapped market) and factor in the economy and boring stuff like that and work out how many extra fans there really might be. And then build a suitably-sized stadium.

The wrong way, which that quotes suggests may be what they have used, is to work what sized stadium would make the club self-supporting and then convince themselves it will be filled.

[/quote]
So do you think that NCFC only have 26k fans in total then PC? I''d say you could probably times that by at least a dozen if it were possible to do a count. I don''t think you''d fill a 35k stadium every week but would certainly fill it on several occasions in the Prem and there''d be a few other games around the 30k mark if the price was right.
[/quote]

Roughly, yes. In terms of those wanting to (and able to) attend games at the moment. Today we should have at most around 25,200 home fans. If you add the 2,000-odd people on the season ticket waiting list that theoretically comes to just over 27,000. But it is likely a lot of the people who have bought casual tickets for today (especially given how many extra have been made available) are people from that waiting list.

But to be clear, I think probably the club will have to go to 35,000 for the next stage, because if it goes smaller than that and the demand really is there (at least on occasion) then that would be a mistake to be repented at leisure. However I do think we would have to accept that for most games there would be large gaps. You yourself are only expecting 35,000 for a few and a few others around 30,000.

As said earlier, my fear is the club is working out the argument the wrong way way, finding what attendance figure would work financially rather than what figure is realistically attainable. But it is a very tough call. We are in a depression, with unemployment rising. But in an area where the population is growing. Two vital factors in such a long-term decision as this.

Like them or hate them, Mk dons did it right they incorporated a hotel into a stand and the pitch side rooms double up as corporate boxes on match days, if only the club had thought of this they could have had a stand built and shared the revenue, maybe it''s not too late to do something in the future.

The barclay will never become a kop due to the corporate box revenue. City stand is the obvious choice and they can probably build it a lot bigger than planned in the past as the could actually build over carrow road, which is no longer a main road, they could have carrow road run as a tunnel under the stand like old Trafford. If the city stand is extended however thought needs to go into working on the end roofs and try and remove the pillars.

If a tier can be added to the jarrold it won''t be huge due to the height the stand already is.

Totally knocking a stand down is a risk as the capacity is considerably reduced during this period.

35k is feasible our away allocation would expand to 3500, leaving 32.5k the east Anglian population is ever expanding and so are our attendances, if we have demand for seats and cant supply which we do at the moment then we are losing money

[quote user="Dave"]Like them or hate them, Mk dons did it right they incorporated a hotel into a stand and the pitch side rooms double up as corporate boxes on match days, if only the club had thought of this they could have had a stand built and shared the revenue, maybe it''s not too late to do something in the future. The barclay will never become a kop due to the corporate box revenue. City stand is the obvious choice and they can probably build it a lot bigger than planned in the past as the could actually build over carrow road, which is no longer a main road, they could have carrow road run as a tunnel under the stand like old Trafford. If the city stand is extended however thought needs to go into working on the end roofs and try and remove the pillars. If a tier can be added to the jarrold it won''t be huge due to the height the stand already is. Totally knocking a stand down is a risk as the capacity is considerably reduced during this period. 35k is feasible our away allocation would expand to 3500, leaving 32.5k the east Anglian population is ever expanding and so are our attendances, if we have demand for seats and cant supply which we do at the moment then we are losing money[/quote]

Dave, this doesn''t really affect your argument but - and it is a mistake I made a while ago[:$] - the maximum PL away allocation is 3,000 and not 10 per cent, as I thought. As I understand it, it is only 10 per cent IF the ground holds less than 30,000. So if we went to 35,000 we would still only have to offer 3,000 seats to away fans. Having said that, by the time this happens (if it does) the away allocation figure might have been moved upwards.

[quote user="City1st"]" ........ the thought of 35k inside Carrow Road is something to dream about "

Or to be fondly remembered[/quote]Ha ha good un cos that''s the truth.  It wasn''t that long ago really before all seaters we did get games more than the present capacity, and numbers were pushing 30k +

If the club is too fulfill its undoubted potential then ground expansion is a must!

Is amuses me that people think we''ve only got 26,000 fans, a theory which is so far from the truth!

I suppose when our ground held 20,000 we only had 20,000 fans!

During our last Premiership season the club said they could of sold 30,000+ tickets every League game!

People overlook the fact that most of us can only afford to go to games cause we go for the cheaper option which is to buy a season ticket which is cheaper nowadays than paying every game. If we increased capacity to over 30,000 then we''d be able to offer more season tickets of which I think we''d be able to sell 27/28,000 season tickets if the ground was big enough!

During the 80''s and 90''s if you of been told that in 2009/10 we''d be averaging 24,700 in the Third Division you''d of laughed out loud. Since the Worthy era our crowds have gone through the roof and stayed large ever since despite many mediocre years in the Championship and a season in League 1!

I know for a fact that the club had 50,000 applications for tickets for the Inter Milan home UEFA cup tie back in 1993 and this was in a season when we averaged 18,000 which was at the time, seen as a very good average ATT for Norwich!

Ipsh*t struggle to get 20,000 nowadays in a stadium that hold over 30,000 but yet for big games last season against Arsenal and us they had near capacity crowds. I bet if the Sc*m were in the Premiership they''d get 27,000 every game. This is all from a club with proven recent crowd levels smaller than us, yet some Norwich fans think if we increased capacity our crowds would stay at 26500!!!!!!!!!!            - Never ceases to amaze me how many Norwich fans underestimate our club no doubt very blinkered by the long held "Little ole Norwich" myth!!!!

We''re a different club from the one we saw from the late 70''s to early 2000''s. Our fanbase has increased by 10,000 extra fans, the population continues to increase and football is more attractive to families. This is the problem we''ve had in recent years, cause 3 sides of the ground were built during the late 70''s to early 90''s period in a time when the stands were more than bug enough for the crowd levels at the time. I''m sure had the River end, City stand and Barclay end been built in the last 8 years, they''d of been buuilt bigger and we''d already have a ground holding over 30,000.

Anyway its not realistic to predict future crowd levels, going on crowd figures from the 70''s to early 80''s, a time when many fans stayed away from the grounds fed up with all the hooliganism that went on during that time. In this time Chelsea used to get less than 15,000 quite often, Arsenal mid 20,000''s, Everton/Spurs quite similar and many other clubs got lower crowds!

I think we''re capable of averaging 30,000+ while in the top flight and the extra capacity gives us more chance of being competitive in it!

The supply and demand issue also comes into things. The reason prices are high at present is cause the demand far outstrips the supply, a factor which clears indicates that increasing capacity to over 30,000 is very realistic, something all the doubters should note. If capacity eventually does increase, we sell more season tickets and still sell a similar amount of casual tickets then prices won''t drop. If we have lots of empty seats then casual prices will drop.

The often suggested idea of not increasing capacity and just increasing ticket prices to such a high level that many can''t afford to go is a very short sighted policy. All this will do is alienate many potential fans against the club and severely restrict future generations from catching the Canary bug and going to home games!

The idea that a new Barclay end Kop style stand would mean no corporate facilties is nonsense. I''m sure it would be possible to build a large single tier Barclay end with a top of the terrace like corporate behind glass area at the top of the stand!

I hope one day, sooner rather than later we see a bigger Carrow Road holding 30,000+ and my theories are proved correct!

Three weeks ago a neighbour of mine said he was looking to take his 6-year-old to watch his footie game, and asked about Norwich tickets.

I said there was virtually no chance except for maybe the smaller teams or becoming a Super Member, and even then he would probably need to get in very quickly.

Disappointed no doubt, he ended up going to the much nearer Peterborough United (v Doncaster). At least he could guarantee getting in regularly.

Two potential future fans lost.

For most of East Anglia, including where I now live, there is very little competition from other clubs. Cambridge & Luton are now non-league. Bedford is a biggish place but does not even have a non-league club. Lincolnshire is not much better served.

Just think how many potential fans could join us but are put off by the lack of pretty much any chance of getting tickets for regular games.

Comparisons with the old days are difficult, but any increased expense these days compared with the past is more than offset by the fact that footie is virtually completely safe these days. Hence so many women and young kids. I often see women go in twos (friends, mums and daughters) which rarely happened in the (holliganny) old days .

As others have mentioned, the dualling of the A11 improvement near Thetford can only help. And the region''s population is growing, and fairly quickly at that.

So for all sorts of reasons, and with the proviso that ticket prices are not increased excessively, I think it very likely we could regularly attract 30,000, and up to 35,000 for the top 5 or 6 clubs.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

This vision of the future of a 35,000 capacity Carrow Road when finances allow, is an old chestnut that goes back to the Neil Doncaster era!

I think in the Premiership we could average over 30,000 and certainly fill a 35,000 Carrow Road against the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea,  the Derby against Ips*it and for games where issues are decided on the day like big Cup games (if we ever have a good cup run ever again!!) and promotion/relegation deciders.

Certainly crowds since the Worthy era back this up. To average just under 25,000 (24700) in the 3rd Division 2 seasons ago was an amazing statistic that has gone under the radar cause we''re "Little backwater club Norwich" in the eyes of more than a few outside East Anglia!

This season I think its likely we won''t see a League crowd under 26,000 this season. To get over 26,000 on a Monday night for a game live on SKY (and in many bars around the City) is very impressive and even surprised myself!

Casual prices for home games are expensive because the demand far outstrips the 26,600 supply. I think they are excessive but the club keeps almost/selling out home ends  so the club aren''t going to drop prices. Mcnally and CO have said in the past that if the capacity was increased and the club were not selling out then prices would go down. This same supply and demand theory is the reason that poorly supported North Westerner Premiership clubs Blackburn, Bolton and Wigan have cheap tickets!

I believe the club are leaning towards knocking the current City stand down and replacing with a newer, bigger version rather than the option of building another tier above the current stand.

The Jarold stand remains a bit of a mystery cause many say that an upper tier can''t be built above the current structure cause the foundations wern''t built for it. This maybe the case but even if this is true it would still be possible to build another tier at this end but it would be mega expensive. Glasgow Rangers built a 3rd tier on their 1920''s main stand in the late 90''s which prove that stands not designed for upper tiers can have them added!

The current Barclay end is not big enough (like the rest of Carrow Road for that matter) and I''m sure it would be possible to replace it with a 9000/10,000 single tier newer version and I''ve heard this mooted before!

The River End stand is now 31/32 years old with the poorest facilities in the ground. One day in the next 20-30 years this stand maybe replaced by a bigger/better version with 1000-2000 extra seats. I''m sure their is sufficient room at this end to build a bigger stand?     

Great too see such possitivity from the club!

[/quote]

Im sure that we had the chance of either a 5k, 8k or 12k choice for the Jarrold and we went for the 8k with the foundations for it to be expanded to 12k.

I also think we need to consider the mid-table mediocrity factor we would face if we stayed up a couple of years.

The Premier League is exciting at the moment but imagine 3 years down the line, we''re an established top flight club but have nothing to play for, will fans want to pay £30+ for a game?

Another 4000 on top of the Jarold stand in a 2nd tier would be good but like I said theres many theories on whats possible with this stand but I suppose most of whats said is only hear say, not fact and only the likes of Mcnally and CO know the truth!

What I can gather from what I''ve heard from club officials and like is that the stand can be extended but it would be very expensive!

The old saying " if you build it people will come" is largely true and its amazes who comes out of the woodwork when the club is doing well. The large numbers going to Norwich away game this season is a prime example of this!

Mcnallys been a breath of fresh air for this club and his judgement in my opinon has been spot on the majority of occasions. Even the excessive casual prices hes got right despite them being too pricey because we''re still getting near capacity crowds, Mcnastys playing on the supply and demand theory!

Mcnallys also spot on about saying Norwich City need a bigger ground to fulfill potential and to fully exploit the clubs potential fanbase. This is what I like about the man, hes can see what I can in that Norwich are a big club, OK not ever going to break into the elite but certainly capable of being one of the biggest 10 clubs in the Country. The little Norwich myth is only born out of Norwich being out on the limb and not being near London, Manchester and Birmingham. The National media have played on this for years and years and many people who don''t follow football that closely would put us on a similar footing to Peterborough and other similar sized clubs!

Last seasons home game against Scunthorpe saw the most Norwich fans at a home game since the ground became all seater. The crowd was about 26,300 I think and over 26,000 were in the home ends. This means Scunny had 300 fans and if we add on another 2700 (2700+300= 3000 which is what we''d had to give well supported away teams if Carrow Road held over 30,000) fans coming to watch a well supported team at Carrow Road we then have a crowd of 29000. Add to this 29000, up to 5-6000 potential supporters who''d like to come to Norwich games in the home ends then we''re talking of crowds over 30,000 and getting as high as 34-35,000 for some games. When stripped down like this the prospect of Carrow Road holding 35,000 is not pie in the sky which is what some fans make out!

Like a recent poster suggests, our catchment area is huge. Norfolk and North Suffolk are without doubt strong Norwich supporting areas while much of the rest of Suffolk. Cambridgeshire, South Lincolnshire and even getting into North Essex, Hertfordshire are all areas we currently get support from and probably could get more!

Records show we fill a larger % of our ground more regularly than what most clubs do and experts have said we''re one of the few clubs that have a proven statistical need to increase capacity. Indeed if we wern''t getting almost sell out crowds regularly they''d be absolutely no need to make the ground bigger but this is not the case at Carrow Road! 

Canary_on_the Trent"]I also think we need to consider the mid-table mediocrity factor we would face if we stayed up a couple of years. The Premier League is exciting at the moment but imagine 3 years down the line, we''re an established top flight club but have nothing to play for, will fans want to pay £30+ for a game?

In the seasons 2005/06 till the relegation season in 2008/09 which led to a season in the third Division in 2009/10 we had a decline from 9th place to a few seasons of scrapping around the bottom half  of the Championship 2nd tier yet our average League ATT''s never went below 24,000 and nearly averaged 25,000 in the League 1 winning season!

I''m sure if we became etablished in the Premiership and became a Bolton like sort of club hanging around mid table all the time interest may wane but we''d still average 28,000+ in a 30000+ Carrow Road.

Mcnally and CO have already said that if crowd levels dropped and lot of emptry seats became the norm, then price would go down to try and fill these seats, again working on the supply and demand theory. This is why Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn offer the cheapest Premiership tickets this season cause they don''t get anywhere near filling their stadiums!

The idea that a club which averaged 24k plus in an appalling relegation season and a season in league one can`t expect very considerably more than that in the Prem is ridiculous. We could currently virtually sell out the home areas of the ground with season-tickets (and plenty of people would like one of those but havent bothered joining the waiting list). Yes, we havent sold every single home seat every home match this season but that is to be expected when availability is so tight that the best areas are sold out straight away and every game is being shown live in pubs across East Anglia. So many people think "I won`t be able to get a decent ticket", so don`t bother. Check out the Blackburn game on online ticketing- apparently £45 a seat in the Jarrold yet all that`s available are scattered single seats in the river end of the ground. If it doesn`t sell out it`ll only be because there are not many people who go to footy on their own.

Norfolk`s population is growing fast, transport links are improving all the time, employment is still high, and we have virtually no competition from other high-profile leisure pursuits. I also think it`s highly arrogant to purport the idea that the new board, who`ve hardly put a foot wrong in turning the club on it`s head, are making big plans whilst not having a grasp of what the real demand is. As has already been pointed out, there are various ways to sell seats in the event of slackening demand- bigger away section, extended family area and ticket offers for low profile games are all good options.

"little norwich" is no more. Time for a few people to end the grieving process, accept it and move on.....

Very elegantly put, Mr. Carrow.

There are a host of arguments why the club could attract 30-35,000 on a regular basis, and you''ve set them out very neatly.

Very few clubs could manage 21,000 ST holders, not even the "great" Leeds, whose support is supposed to be so huge. My daughter''s on the ST waiting list, but realistically I know there''s next to no chance of her getting a season ticket until the ground is expanded big-style.

" there is very little competition from other clubs. Cambridge & Luton are now non-league. Bedford is a biggish place but does not even have a non-league club. Lincolnshire is not much better served.

Just think how many potential fans could join us but are put off by the lack of pretty much any chance of getting tickets for regular games."

How many glory hunters can''t jump on the bandwagon, you mean

I know you do a nice line in tongue in cheek, City1st, but any "glory hunter" willing to travel 60+ miles every other week shows a level of commitment that I have sometimes seen less evident in, say, a few of the moaners who go along to the Carra and delight in slagging off the team from the first minute.

These bandwagon-hoppers could just as easily go 60+ miles in a different direction and end up at a club with a decent-sized stadium: a London club, or a Leicester, or a Peterborough.

I always find the phrase "glory hunting" in relation to NCFC somewhat laughable. Not much glory in the 40 years I''ve been going. Bit more of a meaningful term when used about the so-called big 5 or 6 clubs.

The single seat problem in a previous post is also one that applies to season tickets.

If the ground was expanded I would probably be able to get an adjacent seat in St. Pauls Cathedral Lounge - or whatever replaces it - for Mrs. Hucker which could also be used by Old Hucker or Little Hucker on occasions.

I''m sure there is growth potential amongst a number of season ticket holders unable to sit alongside family and friends currently but who would buy additional tickets were there capacity.

" Not much glory in the 40 years I''ve been going"

That''s why they want to come now .... and weren''t fans before

[Mr.Carrow"]The idea that a club which averaged 24k plus in an appalling relegation season and a season in league one can`t expect very considerably more than that in the Prem is ridiculous. We could currently virtually sell out the home areas of the ground with season-tickets (and plenty of people would like one of those but havent bothered joining the waiting list). Yes, we havent sold every single home seat every home match this season but that is to be expected when availability is so tight that the best areas are sold out straight away and every game is being shown live in pubs across East Anglia. So many people think "I won`t be able to get a decent ticket", so don`t bother. Check out the Blackburn game on online ticketing- apparently £45 a seat in the Jarrold yet all that`s available are scattered single seats in the river end of the ground. If it doesn`t sell out it`ll only be because there are not many people who go to footy on their own.

Norfolk`s population is growing fast, transport links are improving all the time, employment is still high, and we have virtually no competition from other high-profile leisure pursuits. I also think it`s highly arrogant to purport the idea that the new board, who`ve hardly put a foot wrong in turning the club on it`s head, are making big plans whilst not having a grasp of what the real demand is. As has already been pointed out, there are various ways to sell seats in the event of slackening demand- bigger away section, extended family area and ticket offers for low profile games are all good options.

"little norwich" is no more. Time for a few people to end the grieving process, accept it and move on!

Nail hit firmly on the head Mr Carrow!

I absolutely cringe when I hear those blinkered by the "little ole Norwich" false stereotype go on about about we haven''t got the support, we''re Norwich, we''ll never be that big, we''re not in London, ETC. The club said in 2004 that we could of averaged 30,000 back then!

You''ve also touched on another very relevent point. When a forthcoming Norwich home game has only a few hundred tickets left (Blackburn at home in two weeks time is a perfect example, look on the official site to see the remaining few tickets!) they are usually scattered about in singles across the least popular parts of the ground which are the City stand wensum infill, the Jarold infill which like the wensum infill has restricted views and the River end stand. While those who want to go badly enough will grin and bear sitting on their own, others will not want to be split apart from friends and family particularly young children. I know of mums and dads with young kids who''ve cancelled plans to go to a Norwich home game because their wasn''t 3-4 seats together!

Like you said a club that can average 24+ in the appalling 2008/09 relegation season, (one of the worst seasons I''ve seen and I''ve been going since the old Division 3 South days in the 50''s!) and 24700 in League 1 which in real money is Division 3 would be the most likely suspects to get many more (30,000+) when the club was in the Premiership!

I like and trust Mcnally a guy who has ripped up the "Little ole Norwich" stereotype. He can see the clubs potential and some fans need to move on from the "little ole Norwich" myth cause a myth is all it is!

But

"we haven''t got players with premier league experience"

" why won''t the club push the boat out ?"

" we should be ever so ''umble"

[quote user="City1st"]" it might transpire that there are insufficient old codgers to re-fill the new City Stand " more so if they keep turfing them out to put in a smart new player''s bench[/quote]

We''re not all old codgers in the City Stand young man [:D]

On a serious note several pensioners who sat near me last season have moved to the Jarold stand to save money after they withdrew the concessionary prices in the centre seats of the City Stand so guess over the next few years more will move out when their extra years options run out.

Other factors to consider -

Many people interested in going to a game, don''t bother trying to get a ticket cause they think they are none left when in fact their maybe a few!

Their is still a large number of amateur Saturday football teams as well as rugby and Hockey teams. Many of the players in these teams would also be Norwich fans who''d go to odd games when they get the chance!

Insufficient old codgers?

Quite the opposite I''d suggest!

- If government future predictions become reality then more of us are going to live longer, those of us that don''t get caught up in the obesity epidemic!

So in the next 50 years their will be more of us old codgers watching Norwich games!

"Not much glory in the 40 years I''ve been going"

That''s why they want to come now .... and weren''t fans before"

What, 9th, and the best chance of success being survival? Or maybe they''re banking on a Cup run? Come off it, City1st.

I''d best have a word with my 4-year-old, tell her not to bother with that season-ticket waiting list thingy as she''s obviously not a true fan and just jumping on a bandwagon ...

An idea might be that you actually reply to what I posted or read the posts above

ps a clue - if we are not enjoying success then the post "there is very little competition from other clubs. Cambridge & Luton are now non-league. Bedford is a biggish place but does not even have a non-league club. Lincolnshire is not much better served".

[quote user="City1st"]An idea might be that you actually reply to what I posted or read the posts above

ps a clue - if we are not enjoying success then the post "there is very little competition from other clubs. Cambridge & Luton are now non-league. Bedford is a biggish place but does not even have a non-league club. Lincolnshire is not much better served".[/quote]This a local club for local people....

haha ahh canny beat the league of gentlemen! Cant say im bothered, if we have a large stadium then it means most people from Norwich who want to come to a game will be able to go, and if people from other counties start seeing the light and wish to come pray at the alter of Carrow cathedral then so be it! We wont be complaining at the extra income they bring funding moves for big name players to help us push for europe etc!

To be honest I wish they would have built a new 35K stadium next door to Carrow Road and redevelop the current ground for more useful things like a big multi story car park and a new office block for AVIVA to encourage them to pump some of the money into the new ground. This would have raised further funds through the week and probably cheaper in the long run.

Too late now.

Will people stop going on about glory hunters

The attendance at CR has been increasing year on year even through the bad times.

Just because someone does not hold a ST does not make them a glory hunter, many people cant get to a match due to work commitments, family commitments or just cant afford it.

We can hardly be a glory team the last major trophy the club won was in 1985

"An idea might be that you actually reply to what I posted or read the posts above."

I did, City1st. But posting too many one-liners designed for your self-titillation will not encourage a close reading when you do get round to posting something sensible.

The point I was making, with others, is that NCFC has a colossal catchment area, something I''d never realised till I moved away from Norwich. Who are youngsters with no existing allegiance and living in, say, south Lincs or North Cambs "supposed" to support, in the absence of a league football club, or are they by definition "glory hunters"?

The stadium was barely big enough in League One, when the away clubs brought virtually no-one. Hartlepool was our biggest gate that season, and they brought one man and his dog. It is now far too small for the Prem, with initial sizeable away allocations mandatory, regardless of any current success.