Sign in to follow this  
BW

Great point shocking defending

Far from being shocking, I thought that our defense was gutsy, disciplined and extremely hard working. Certain Muppets, well just one really, should realise that practically every single one of Liverpool''s players cost more than our whole team! They are all full internationals and mostly world class performers and our boys stuck to their guns, never quit, never stopped running and continued to try and play their way out of trouble and into the opposition half.

Just listen to the names! Gerrard, Suarez, Bellamy, Adams, Downing, Johnson, Enriques, Reina, Kuyt, the list goes on to 55 million pounds worth coming off the bench!

Did our lads wilt? No, Never. They ran their yellow socks off against the best team we have played this season.

How anyone can say any part of that performance was in anyway shocking beggars belief. Even my Liverpool supporting friends, of whom there are many, said we were excellent and deserved a point (despite the best efforts of the biggest cheating, diving, whinger since...... oh, er Better Wizard?)

[quote user="Pyro Pete"][quote user="Better Wizard"]On the poor teamwork note. Our passing has to improve also when ever we win it at the back we hoof it up field straight to their players we need to be patient and calm in this league. Otherwise we are giving ourself hard work by allowing them to continuously the chance to attack.[/quote]Oh my god. Have you seen the Premier League table? Man Utd only managed a 1-1 draw at Anfield last week.  Perhaps you should write to Fergie and tell him where he is going wrong too.[/quote]I think after today, the mailbag might be more full than usual.

Ok i apologise for the strong word of shocking... i meant poor. Happy guys?

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Ok i apologise for the strong word of shocking... i meant poor. Happy guys?[/quote]So, after five pages you admit you were wrong and now we have to start all over again? [:S][;)]

Lappin disapointed in you. Your normally a goodish poster. I am not backtracking i still believe the players were poor/bad/below par etc i am saying sorry for the use of the word shocking as for some reason it seems to have offended a few of our posters. Im trying to meet in the middle here someone chuck me a rope...

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Lappin disapointed in you. Your normally a goodish poster. I am not backtracking i still believe the players were poor/bad/below par etc i am saying sorry for the use of the word shocking as for some reason it seems to have offended a few of our posters. Im trying to meet in the middle here someone chuck me a rope...[/quote]So, basically, to summarise you are saying that our defence is "shocking"/poor for only conceding one goal away (which was fairly controversial anyway) at a notorious ground, against a team that had a single player who started on the bench, that cost more than our entire squad?I admit they had a few chances in the first 20 minutes, but ultimately the only thing that matters is goals conceded, and between Ruddy and the back four they did a far better job than I think anyone could have expected.You''re entitled to your opinion, but if you''re going to post such strong (and in my opinion, ridiculous) opinions, do you really think it''s right to have a little cry about it when people call you out?

You''ve been given just enough rope actually Better Wizard and you''ve hung yourself with it.

I''m taking the pledge now because the attention just feeds you and I''m off your menu.

Can we stop getting all so personal i am here to talk about football in particular norwich city fc. Alongside the occasional odd post about magic mushrooms or dinner. There is no need to talk about my suicidal tendencies.

Lambert knows best, but I thought the 5 man midfield was a waste. We were losing balls cheaply in midfield, or fullbacks were smacking it up to Morison. So far I think that was the worse we have played this year, defensively not good at all, Lady luck and ruddy kept us in that.

Still great achievement to get a point, and probably deserved it purely because we came away from Stamford and Old Trafford empty handed.

Just thought it was a really mistake ridden game, think we need to change a couple of things next game, maybe put De Laet back in, think his reading of the game is superb.

This is not a slate by the way, been backing all the players all season, I think that maybe the 5 games starting on the trot is catching up slightly, we looked sloppy yesterday, whether because of tiredness or just an off day.

For the record, thought Naughton had a mare, game Bellamy too much room, should start pressing higher up the pitch, especially if we are playing a highish line like we were.

To be fair, the defence was as good as any other week, that Liverpool team up top were superb and just look to Man U, they shipped in 6.

How can anyone actually single out any defender, they battled and with luck kept Liverpool to 1 goal, not many promoted side will do that, we got a point deseverd not for the number of chances we created but for the battle and effort we put in.

Good all round performance and it was Suarez and Kuyt up front, international strikers........

[quote user="Time For Heroes"]Fu¢k me. This time 2 years ago we lost at Tranmere. Cheer up.[/quote]

sorry to be pedantic, but 2 yrs ago at this time we BEAT Tranmere, wes & doc I think. The refereeing debacle was at the away game the following April

[quote user="Better Wizard"]On the poor teamwork note. Our passing has to improve also when ever we win it at the back we hoof it up field straight to their players we need to be patient and calm in this league. Otherwise we are giving ourself hard work by allowing them to continuously the chance to attack.[/quote]

Interesting point of view. Hason mentioned on MoTD how impressed he was that we continued to play rather than hoof it up field to relive the pressure. Seems you watched a different game to everyone else

ooo let''s all praise the motd pundits finally after weeks of berating them. Funny how the pundits say something right when it''s something good about our team. Your all so simple guys.

[quote user="Better Wizard"]ooo let''s all praise the motd pundits finally after weeks of berating them. Funny how the pundits say something right when it''s something good about our team. Your all so simple guys.[/quote]

Goodness me you really are struggling. I wasn’t praising anybody, just pointing out how isolated your point of view is.

To be honest enough people have done that job for you and in all fairness i am getting fed up with people on this board for the fact no one can have a differing view. I won''t bother next time. Lets all have the same view, hold hands and lick each others arses.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Aggy wrote :

"had they finished better and scored 5 i wouldn''t have been overly bothered - who cares, it was Liverpool!"

- Not much of a fan in my eyes if you don''t mind being beaten by 5, by anybody, whoever they are.

[/quote]

If Liverpool had scored 5 against us (ie; if they''d scored a few of the numerous sitters they missed, not even the half chances), then I would have held my hands up and said we had been outclassed. When that happens against Liverpool, no, I wouldn''t have minded too much. If it had happened against Blackburn then yeah definitely, it wouldn''t have been good enough, because we know from our performances already this season that we shouldn''t be conceding 5 at any point against a side like Blackburn.

But if we came across a top 4 side who were in top clinical form (which we haven''t yet, Man Utd and Chelsea were both below par), who put 5 past us, then I wouldn''t have minded too much.

And that was the point of my post that sort of agreed with BW. I don''t think we defended well. I don''t think the defence should be praised for doing a really great job. I don''t think they did. The whole team can be praised for sticking at it, and taking our chance when it came. But we didn''t defend well, they should have really scored 5, BUT in saying that, if they DID score 5 against us, I would have said it was one of those things that sometimes happens when you come across a top 4 side in form, lets shake ourselves down and beat those sides who will be in and around us come the end of the season.

What a terrible fan I am....

Still don''t understand why people have this thing about the top clubs. They are there to be competed with and if possible beaten.

Thats the aim of the exercise, isn''t it??

Look at the facts - sloppy finishing from Liverpool and good defending and goalkeeping restricted them to one goal. We could have had three goals in the second half! (The goal, the header Reina saved and a better through ball by Holty). We could have even won the game.

Stop whinging on about poor defending and get a grip. We were there at the end when it counted - what more do you guys want?

We can''t match clubs like Liverpool for finance anyd yes, we will be outclassed occasionally, but this team doesn''t panic. Threy consistently perform to a high level - hence the point on Saturday.

Oh yes.....and being beaten by five is bad ANYTIME, by ANYONE.

"Hence the point on Saturday."

Really? You truly and honestly believe that we got the point more because we defended well than because Liverpool missed a few absolute sitters?

If so, I think it''s you that needs to get a grip.

As for your last line - Man Utd just lost by 5 to Man City. Man City were at their clinical best. I''m not saying if Liverpool had put 5 past us I''d have been celebrating. But I wouldn''t have been on here calling for Lambert''s head and claiming relegation is looming. I''d have said, oh well, we just got stuffed by a top 4 side who have spent more on one over-rated striker than all of our team put together. If we get stuffed by them on form, it''s not going to relegate us. Whereas if we got stuffed by the likes of Blackburn, you''d be worried. If you can''t get your head around that, then I don''t think we need debate a lot more, as you''re clearly not quite up to it.

I''ll say again, I didn''t think we defended well. I''m not moaning particularly, as they have got strikers who are far better than us, and a lot of the time this season we are going to be outplayed, we are going to have strikers skinning us, but we need to hope they have a bad day finishing and we snatch a point or 3, like we did against liverpool.

But on the flip side, I''m not going to praise a defence that I thought was opened up a lot of the time. Yeah they might have much better players than us, but even so, that doesn''t mean we defended well, just because they''re a lot better than anything our defenders will come up against in training, does it? Surely we can still defend badly, just because the opposition are a class above us?

We didn''t defend well, Liverpool were sloppy, and we took advantage of their sloppiness and got a point. That''s all we can hope to do against sides such as Liverpool, as if they were on the top of their game, they''d have put 5 or more past us quite comfortably at the weekend. So, as I said in my first post, credit to the lads for that, that''s what we''ve got to do if we''re going to stay up, and long may it continue.

We haven''t defended badly at times this season. Sometimes we''ve been pretty good - I thought we were very good last week against Swansea defensively, far more solid than I''d hoped we could be! But just because Suarez is a bit better than Graham doesn''t mean we defended well regardless of how many guilt edged chances they were presented with due to outclassing our defence!

To a certain extent I sympathise with what you say.

But...........I think that words like ''shocking'' (since taken back, I know) and ''poor'' are the last two adjectives that should appear on a post match discussion on what 99% of posters on here think was a terrific performance.

Most of us want to find the positives, not dwell on negatives. It''s what the club is all about at the moment.

Poor we were not. Period (imo).

LOL....what a post... and some of the insightful additions just show me that a lot of you agree that we are a second rate team and riding our luck to say the least....

the best has to be the analysis of our defence ''off the ball'' while watching the game.... on TV....

here''s my two penneth...the whole team were poor especially our back four...we were just really lucky.. wonder if the doc would be interested in coming back?? I also think ruddy looked suspect- lambo should enquire about forster.... upfront morison doesnt score enough goals and I think holt was shocking when he came on... missed a sitter.... I hope we''ve got a buy back clause on cody....

Lake district you comment on how ridiculous my post is yet you reply with a far more ridiculous comment. I want norwich to win the league and to be honest if we want to be the best we have to play the best so its productive criticism.

I never said your post was ridiculous, merely that using a word like ''shocking'' was innapropriate for the Liverpool match. Even though you backtracked on that, your view that it was ''poor'' was a better word doesn''t describe what most posters on here and what I and everyone I have spoken seem to think.

And my previous post to this was an attempt at irony following on from ''yellow johnny''s similarly ironic post.

I shan''t comment on this post again, but what you need to rembmember is that if you put out provocative remarks, expect a similar response!

[quote user="Better Wizard"]ooo let''s all praise the motd pundits finally after weeks of berating them. Funny how the pundits say something right when it''s something good about our team. Your all so simple guys.[/quote]

And you are sooo wrong.