Sign in to follow this  
hucks@dh6.co.uk

The launch of Hucks-Through adversity to great heights

Just imagine if Hucks had come to City under the present circumstances..... with this manager and squad.Looking at the team around him back then it makes his City career even more remarkable.

Think that''s a bit harsh, Cluck.

We had a solid side behind Hucks when we won the league.

I agree that without his particular genius we would never have won the title, but Green, Drury, Mackay, Fleming, Edworthy was a pretty top-class back five for the second tier of English football. Holt and Francis were a great midfield combination, and Holt would have done much more in the Prem had he not (a) been a little too old and (b) had one of his three lungs full of blood.

I think there''s more quality in our team now, but don''t think it''s right to do down that 2003 team who brought us all a lot of pleasure after so many years of disappointment.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Think that''s a bit harsh, Cluck.

We had a solid side behind Hucks when we won the league.

I agree that without his particular genius we would never have won the title, but Green, Drury, Mackay, Fleming, Edworthy was a pretty top-class back five for the second tier of English football. Holt and Francis were a great midfield combination, and Holt would have done much more in the Prem had he not (a) been a little too old and (b) had one of his three lungs full of blood.

I think there''s more quality in our team now, but don''t think it''s right to do down that 2003 team who brought us all a lot of pleasure after so many years of disappointment.[/quote]Agreed, I think that we came up that year stronger than we did this time. It all went wrong when Worthington released two massive personalities, and then signed a bunch of mercaneries. I will never understand the decision to release Malky Mackay, he might have been the difference.We are a much better team this year then we were in our Premiership season, no doubt, but we won the Championship outright that year. The league table doesn''t lie, they were champions, we won it fair and square.Can''t forget McKenzie and Svensson too, and McVeigh still had a bit about him. Plus of course Crouch who played an important role. Both promotion teams had something in common though, they were both thin on the ground, both had a great XI but not much beyond that.Worthington deserves a lot of credit for what he did for us in his first three or four seasons, we had a play-off final, we won the league, he built a decent team with pennies, inheriting some of the worst players that I have ever seen at Carrow Road who came courtesy of Bryan Hamilton. I will just never understand why he built a squad with such great team spirit, and then released the two most influential players in that squad. Both Malky and Iwan were our natural leaders on the pitch, perhaps add Greeno to that.He stuck the pin into his own balloon, but he did blow up the balloon so it was his to pop.

Malky was released because he wasn''t good enough for the Prem, Iwans legs had gone. Malky marking Thierry Henry ? !!! Van Nistelroy ? He may have got a game against Bolton but that would have been it. I''m going to be controversial here, I don''t think Malky was any better than Docherty. The difference was that Malky had a consistent partner that complemented him, Docherty had more partners than Liz Taylor.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Malky was released because he wasn''t good enough for the Prem, Iwans legs had gone. Malky marking Thierry Henry ? !!! Van Nistelroy ? He may have got a game against Bolton but that would have been it. I''m going to be controversial here, I don''t think Malky was any better than Docherty. The difference was that Malky had a consistent partner that complemented him, Docherty had more partners than Liz Taylor.[/quote]

I gotta disagree about Gary Doherty, he was never a solid defender. The defense always looked nervy with him at the back.

Malky took us to the play offs, and was promoted with Norwich, West Ham and Watford. He was a true leader in every sense of the word. There are obvious concerns about how he would have performed at the top level, but in hindsight, he couldn''t have been any worse than those who did play. replace Shackell, Doherty or Charlton with Mackay and we may have got a couple more points, enough to keep us up. He added far more to the team than just his defensive performances.

Where is Gary Doherty right now? Still bumbling arround League One last time I looked.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Malky was released because he wasn''t good enough for the Prem, Iwans legs had gone. Malky marking Thierry Henry ? !!! Van Nistelroy ? He may have got a game against Bolton but that would have been it. I''m going to be controversial here, I don''t think Malky was any better than Docherty. The difference was that Malky had a consistent partner that complemented him, Docherty had more partners than Liz Taylor.[/quote]I think that Gary Doherty did everything possible to show in the years that followed that he wasn''t a patch on Malky Mackay, as emphasised by the fact that Mackay won promotion from The Championship in three consecutive seasons, 2003/04, 2004/05, and 2005/06. Even if he was to have proved ineffective in the Premier League he deserved his chance. Gary Doherty marking Theirry Henry ? !!! Van Nistlerooy?The fact that we lost 4-1 at home to Arsenal, and then 4-1 away to Arsenal in that season, with Henry scoring 4 goals in those two games, completely invalidates your point. Furthermore, Van Nistlerooy played a whole 23 minutes against us that season, he didn''t start in either of our games. Mackay was quality, a born leader, and he had more left in his tank than Craig Fleming, that was proven by the fact that Malky was playing in the Premier League for Watford whilst Craig Fleming was turning out for Kings Lynn. Yes Iwan was past it, but we didn''t sign anybody to replace him. We went half a season with two experienced strikers, McKenzie and Svensson. During the course of the season Ryan Jarvis played 7 games, Danny Crow played 6 games, and we even played Gary Doherty as a striker.I would rather have seen Roberts make 13 appearances than have seen Jarvis and Crow on the pitch. Iwan Roberts spent the following season playing in the Championship, whilst Jarvis now plays in League Two having flopped in League One, and Danny Crow now plays in the Conference National where he is by no stretch of the imagination prolific. Gary Doherty scored about 1 goal in every 20 games at Norwich, and you would rather have seen the likes of Doherty, Jarvis, and Crow up front that year than Iwan Roberts? Ridiculous. You seem to be comparing Mackay and Roberts with the quality of our current squad, rather than on the quality of Worthingtons Premier League squad, although even if you were comparing with Lamberts squad we could really do with a 33 year old Malky Mackay right now.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Malky was promoted with three teams, and I think all three let him go ( can''t remember about Watford ), were all three managers wrong ? [/quote]No, you are wrong. He was promoted with three teams, the first two let him go, and he then played for Watford in the Premier League, by which time he was 38 which is far too old. He then stayed there as a coach, and then as manager. It is hardly fair to compare the Norwich situation with the West Ham situation though, we had Fleming, a very young Shackell, and signed the footballing genuis Gary Doherty.West Ham had Tomas Repka, Anton Ferdinand, Elliott Ward, Calum Davenport, Darren Powell, Andy Melville, and Christian Dailly in their promotion season. They then got promoted and signed Danny Gabbidon and James Collins, two players who have been in the Premier League ever since. That''s a strawmans argument, because none of our centre backs would have been good enough to play at West Ham, the question is whether he was good enough for Norwich City in 2004/05, and with Shackell, Fleming, and Doherty, being our three centre backs, there was no doubt room for him.

I''m not comparing Malky with anyone,( other than Doc as an example ), just making the point that I don''t think he would have been the big saviour a lot of people on here think he would have been.  Malky had as many limitations as Doc, it''s just that a lot of people seem to ignore them . Yes , his goalscoring was decent,as for my examples being invalid, so is the point about Malk being a leader. I would rather have a good player than a fist pumping leader ( David Nielson anyone? ) I never mentioned Crow , Jarvis etc,( I don''t rate them either ) I just made the point that iwans legs had gone which was why he was released.

I still maintain the problem was not replacing Malky, rather than getting rid of him. I think he would have found life in the Prem very difficult. The problem was that we shipped him out before finding a superior replacement, meaning that we had to rely on Charlton, Shackell and Doherty.

I do think that Malky''s legendary status on this board has something to do with him not being humiliated by van Nistelrooy or Rooney etc. In my view Fleming was the superior centre half, yet got tons of stick from idiots during that season in the Prem (as did Gary Holt, a similarly admirable player just out of his depth at the very top level). I think Malky would have been more out of his depth than Flem, and would have received just as much (ill-deserved) abuse.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I still maintain the problem was not replacing Malky, rather than getting rid of him. I think he would have found life in the Prem very difficult. The problem was that we shipped him out before finding a superior replacement, meaning that we had to rely on Charlton, Shackell and Doherty.

I do think that Malky''s legendary status on this board has something to do with him not being humiliated by van Nistelrooy or Rooney etc. In my view Fleming was the superior centre half, yet got tons of stick from idiots during that season in the Prem (as did Gary Holt, a similarly admirable player just out of his depth at the very top level). I think Malky would have been more out of his depth than Flem, and would have received just as much (ill-deserved) abuse.[/quote]If we released every player that we have been doubtful about upon getting promotion then Grant Holt would have been released twice. Lamberts whole philosophy evolves around proving people wrong and showing him and us that they good enough. He gives you your opportunity, if you take it you stay, if you don''t then you leave. Malky signed a one year deal at West Ham, would have been no issue at all to give him a one year deal to let him have his chance. You do realise that we didn''t stay up right? And as a result got relegated with a past it Craig Fleming, whilst Malky Mackay was captaining Watford to a promotion? Fleming, Shackell, Doherty. That year we shipped 65 goals and finished 9th in the Championship. Mackay played almost every game in a season in which Watford conceeded 53 goals, finished 3rd, and won the play-off final (in which Malky played). It is as clear as day to me, Malky was still better than Doherty, Shackell, and Fleming two years after being released. I''m looking forward to reading Huckerby''s book to see what he has to say about Iwan and Malkey, in fact that is the reason that I will buy the book. I''m not interested in Roeder, I already know that he was a clueless w*nker, I want to know what the he and the other members of the squad thought about the release of Iwan and Malky and the replacements that he signed.

Peole forget that, the champisonhip winning season we lost to northampton in the cup and there was unrest.

Worhty admitted ''he had to do something'', he did harper, crouch and hux. The Hux signing did take us to the championship. Yes we bought mckenzie and svensson after crouch left, but Hux was he catalyst.

Our centre halves never missed a game through injury, I do think we needed new starters at centre half then and would not have played malky/ flem as starters.

But that was a long time ago. Can''t wait to get Hux''s insights, he shot from the hip to the press once or twice. I am sure his book will too.

A player that does deserve legendary status, his off-field work now is exceptional and one that I am pleased is associated with NCFC.

[quote user="smooth"]Peole forget that, the champisonhip winning season we lost to northampton in the cup and there was unrest.

Worhty admitted ''he had to do something'', he did harper, crouch and hux. The Hux signing did take us to the championship. Yes we bought mckenzie and svensson after crouch left, but Hux was he catalyst.

Our centre halves never missed a game through injury, I do think we needed new starters at centre half then and would not have played malky/ flem as starters.

But that was a long time ago. Can''t wait to get Hux''s insights, he shot from the hip to the press once or twice. I am sure his book will too.

A player that does deserve legendary status, his off-field work now is exceptional and one that I am pleased is associated with NCFC.[/quote]Yes, so he signed three attacking players and we scored more goals. But we also conceeded the least goals out of any team in the league that year. I don''t know why people talk all this rubbish I really don''t, out of 23 other teams in the league that year not a single one conceeded less goals than us. We conceeded 39 goals in 46 games, less than every other team. Last year we conceeded 58. Our 2003/04 defence was stronger than our 2010/11 defence, and then for some stupid reason we broke up the back four. Not only by releasing Mackay and signing Doherty, but also by playing Helveg at right back a fair bit and trying to find a place for Simon Charlton.Out of the three teams that got promoted we then conceeded by far the most goals in the Premier League. We conceeded more goals in the Premier League than ANY team in fact. Here are the three promoted teams and the number of goals conceeded in both seasons:Norwich                      39>77West Brom                 42>61Crystal Palace            61>62It''s all there in black and white, Worthington weakened our defence, we leaked goals all year, and releasing Mackay and signing nobody of note at the back played a huge part in that. The stats show that Mackay is better, before we went up, when we went up, and when we went down. He lead the line.

[quote user="LeJuge"] The stats show that Mackay is better, before we went up, when we went up, and when we went down. He lead the line.

[/quote]

No they don''t. The stats are for teams and not individual players. There are no stats to show how we would have fared with Malky in our Premier League side. What you are doing is airing your opinion. In quite a rude way as usual.

When Worthington made the decision to replace Malky I''m pretty sure he never envisinged replacing him with Simon Charlton. We spent a lot of the summer chasing Linvoy Primus who made much more sense as a replacement. Primus stayed at Portsmouth but for some reason we had no backup plan. The decision to release Malky had already been made which in my view was the right one. The mistake was not finding an adequate replacement.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="LeJuge"] The stats show that Mackay is better, before we went up, when we went up, and when we went down. He lead the line. [/quote]

No they don''t. The stats are for teams and not individual players. There are no stats to show how we would have fared with Malky in our Premier League side. What you are doing is airing your opinion. In quite a rude way as usual.

When Worthington made the decision to replace Malky I''m pretty sure he never envisinged replacing him with Simon Charlton. We spent a lot of the summer chasing Linvoy Primus who made much more sense as a replacement. Primus stayed at Portsmouth but for some reason we had no backup plan. The decision to release Malky had already been made which in my view was the right one. The mistake was not finding an adequate replacement.

[/quote]He didn''t sign Simon Charlton as a replacement for Malky, he signed Doherty as the replacement for Malky, Simon Charlton was a 5ft 8 inches tall left back. Worthington new that Malky still had it in him, by the way:"Malky did have a couple more years left in him at that level and did very well but i''ve still no regrets in the decision i made". - dh6.co.uk

I don''t think the issue was necessarily releasing Malky & Iwan but more so, not replacing them with better players.

Iwan''s legs had gone, he did a decent job in our promotion season, with his experienced cameo''s.

Malky was a better defender than both Doherty & Charlton but would have struggled as well. Had Worthy got in Linvoy Primus, the decision to release Malky wouldn''t have mattered imo.

[quote user="LeJuge"]He didn''t sign Simon Charlton as a replacement for Malky, he signed Doherty as the replacement for Malky, Simon Charlton was a 5ft 8 inches tall left back. Worthington new that Malky still had it in him, by the way:

"Malky did have a couple more years left in him at that level and did very well but i''ve still no regrets in the decision i made". - dh6.co.uk
[/quote]

He didn''t sign Charlton as a replacement but he did replace Malky in the side in the early part of the season in the centre of defence if my memory serves me correctly. Presumably he was signed as he provided cover for both left back and centre back. As I have already explained Primus was supposed to be the replacement for Malky but when that deal fell through Charlton found himself in the team in the centre of defence. Doherty was eventually brought but made most of his early appearances as a striker I believe (he certainly played there in the away matches against Newcastle and Manchester United). We had failed to bring in a striker or a replacement for Malky and he ended having a go at both roles. Had we signed Primus as Worthington wanted I don''t think anybody would have worried about Malky being released but the replacements for him were no better. Malky lacked pace but both Charlton and Doherty had some pretty big flaws in other areas of their game.

The quote from Worthington is surely just saying that he knew Malky had a couple more Championship seasons in him. I''m not sure what you think it brings to this particular argument?

I just realised by the way that we didn''t release Malky Mackay, we SOLD Malky Mackay, he was under contract. Which makes the decision even more ludicrious. It''s OK you lot saying that it would have been OK if we had signed Linvoy Primus, but we didn''t, Worthington sold Mackay before signing a replacement. Debating whether Primus was better than Mackay is like selling Holt and then arguing that there are better players at other clubs who we probably don''t have any chance of signing. We also signed Simon Charlton, the 5ft 8 inch left back, before signing Mackay. In fact, Malky was sold on 10th September, after the Premier League transfer window had closed. Championship clubs were still allowed to sign players. Worthington failed to sign Primus, instead signed Gary Doherty, and then sold Mackay. Doherty in, Mackay out. It really is that simple. I don''t care about Primus, or the midget, I''m calling it as I see it. Worthington replaced Mackay with Doherty. The pace argument cannot win, so why did he do that? Mackay was a better player than Doherty, it really is that simple. This is the reaction to Doherty signing: http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/1/359264/ShowPost.aspx#359264Calls for Malky to play 6th Sept: http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/362463/ShowPost.aspxHe left on 10th Sept.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="LeJuge"]He didn''t sign Simon Charlton as a replacement for Malky, he signed Doherty as the replacement for Malky, Simon Charlton was a 5ft 8 inches tall left back. Worthington new that Malky still had it in him, by the way:"Malky did have a couple more years left in him at that level and did very well but i''ve still no regrets in the decision i made". - dh6.co.uk[/quote]

He didn''t sign Charlton as a replacement but he did replace Malky in the side in the early part of the season in the centre of defence if my memory serves me correctly. Presumably he was signed as he provided cover for both left back and centre back. As I have already explained Primus was supposed to be the replacement for Malky but when that deal fell through Charlton found himself in the team in the centre of defence. Doherty was eventually brought but made most of his early appearances as a striker I believe (he certainly played there in the away matches against Newcastle and Manchester United). We had failed to bring in a striker or a replacement for Malky and he ended having a go at both roles. Had we signed Primus as Worthington wanted I don''t think anybody would have worried about Malky being released but the replacements for him were no better. Malky lacked pace but both Charlton and Doherty had some pretty big flaws in other areas of their game.

The quote from Worthington is surely just saying that he knew Malky had a couple more Championship seasons in him. I''m not sure what you think it brings to this particular argument?

[/quote]I wish you realised how much gibberish you have just spouted. Charlton did not play centre back because we were miraculously short of centre backs, as a result of the Primus deal falling through. The Primus deal fell through in July, Simon Charlton signed in July, Gary Doherty signed in August, and Malky Mackay was sold in September after the transfer deadline. There was no accidental shortage of centre backs, Worthington chose to sell Mackay to West Ham and subsequently was left with Fleming, Shackell, Doherty, and the midget. That was Worthingtons choice.

According to [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/3926751.stm]this report on the BBC[/url] we were still after Primus in August and we were also after an unnamed European striker. Doherty had not been signed at this point had he? It''s my view that Worthington switched his attentions to Doherty because he failed to bring in a striker and he was supposed to be able to play in both positions but I''ve got no hard facts to back that up. I must admit that I hadn''t realised that Malky was still here at the start of that season (I thought he was released like Iwan) but the fact that he was not considered for the team despite failing to land our number one defensive target say quite a lot about his limitations. Quite frankly he was embarassingly slow over the first ten yards and although many may not like to admit it Doherty was, although no Usain Bolt, significantly quicker.

Does anyone know how many appearances Doherty made in defence for us that season? Wikipedia suggests that he played twenty league games but I''m sure that the first three or four were as a striker. It doesn''t really matter to me because I don''t feel that Malky would have improved our defence but if Doherty was his replacement it would be interesting to see how many goals we conceded when he played. My view is that we conceded the number of goals we did because we were simply too open. Going back to the topic of this thread we had a left winger who pretty much never defended! Gary Holt made up for that a great deal in the Championship but a combination of age, lack of form and injury dulled his impact. By the time we had brought Ashton in January and brought Safri into the team we had a lot of ground to make up but we almost made it. Worthington (and the board) certainly made mistakes that season but I remain unconvinced that releasing Malky Mackay was one of them.

Excellent,

I am sure it will be a great read, by a great player. I played in the same team as you for the Football Aid charity a year or so ago and you set up my goal!!

It was really good to meet you and I thought what a great lad you are and how I could not keep up with you during the game!!

Cheers I will get the Mrs to purchase a copy for me.

Ian D

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]

Excellent,

I am sure it will be a great read, by a great player. I played in the same team as you for the Football Aid charity a year or so ago and you set up my goal!!

It was really good to meet you and I thought what a great lad you are and how I could not keep up with you during the game!!

Cheers I will get the Mrs to purchase a copy for me.

Ian D

[/quote]

Doesn''t get better than that does it, Ian?.

Been looking forward to this book since Hucks mentioned there might be one in the pipeline. Never afraid to call a spade a spade, it should certainly make for very interesting reading...

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I still maintain the problem was not replacing Malky, rather than getting rid of him. I think he would have found life in the Prem very difficult. The problem was that we shipped him out before finding a superior replacement, meaning that we had to rely on Charlton, Shackell and Doherty.

I do think that Malky''s legendary status on this board has something to do with him not being humiliated by van Nistelrooy or Rooney etc. In my view Fleming was the superior centre half, yet got tons of stick from idiots during that season in the Prem (as did Gary Holt, a similarly admirable player just out of his depth at the very top level). I think Malky would have been more out of his depth than Flem, and would have received just as much (ill-deserved) abuse.[/quote]

Exactly RNiM;

Besides Worthy was keen to keep him here - it was when NW would not (rightly IMO) guarantee regular football that Malky decided he want to leave because he was not prepared to spend the season on the bench.

Both decisions were right - but to say Malky was released does not tell the full story.

As you point out the issue was not having a leader at the back, we did lose that when we lost Malky - but hi ability in the prem would have been exposed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/3643686.stm

Genuinely surprised about this, I was sure we sold him within a couple of weeks of going up.. How odd.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="smooth"]Peole forget that, the champisonhip winning season we lost to northampton in the cup and there was unrest.

A player that does deserve legendary status, his off-field work now is exceptional and one that I am pleased is associated with NCFC.[/quote]Yes, so he signed three attacking players and we scored more goals. But we also conceeded the least goals out of any team in the league that year. I don''t know why people talk all this rubbish I really don''t, out of 23 other teams in the league that year not a single one conceeded less goals than us. We conceeded 39 goals in 46 games, less than every other team. Last year we conceeded 58. Our 2003/04 defence was stronger than our 2010/11 defence, and then for some stupid reason we broke up the back four. Not only by releasing Mackay and signing Doherty, but also by playing Helveg at right back a fair bit and trying to find a place for Simon Charlton.Out of the three teams that got promoted we then conceeded by far the most goals in the Premier League. We conceeded more goals in the Premier League than ANY team in fact. Here are the three promoted teams and the number of goals conceeded in both seasons:Norwich                      39>77West Brom                 42>61Crystal Palace            61>62It''s all there in black and white, Worthington weakened our defence, we leaked goals all year, and releasing Mackay and signing nobody of note at the back played a huge part in that. The stats show that Mackay is better, before we went up, when we went up, and when we went down. He lead the line.

[/quote]

other than the timing being completely wrong le juge.

Flem & malky had been teh defenders for a couple of season but we started the champ season conceeding more goals per game than any season in something like 5 years. We were humiliated - 4-1 maybe at the city ground by forest just before the oct international break with the defence (eddie, drury, malky & flem) in tatters.

During the break we brought in hux, harper & crouch. All three made a difference. Harper and crouch left while hux became a true city legend for the club.

I maintain it now as I said it then, hux was the best defender the club has ever signed.

His pace pulled our team 20 yards up the pitch as team defended against his threat rather than attack us. He was unplayable time & time again to earn that fear.

With our opponents now scared of us malkay et al had a relatively easy time of it.

The stats were that we conceeded fewer goals with hux i the team than without, and it was nothing to do with Malkay at the back; and as the BBC article kindly provided by Larry D shows malkay chose to leave when an offer came in in Sept.

Revisionist history is a dangerous thing.

But one thing is clear - Darren Huckerby is rightly lauded as one of the clubs real legends - not some mythical version like so many over the last 15 years.

Hux - I salute you - and cant wait to read.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Revisionist history is a dangerous thing[/quote]Yeah - like saying we lost 4-1 at Forest before the October international break when we did, in fact, lose 2-0 at the end of August!  Hope the hangover''s not too severe [;)]