Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

At the minute, Holt and Wes can't play in the same side.

Though about this last night.

It seems so far that Lambert likes playing the 2 out and out wingers at this level (Bennett and Pilkington) and neither man can be dropped at the minute (And quite rightly so).

Now, Wes has to play in the hole. Simple as that, that is the ''Wes'' position. This means he either has to play off a big man up top (Morison) or at the tip of the diamond (nullified because of the wingers).

After Morison''s perfomance at Bolton is seems unfair to drop him after 1 game in which he impressed to a certain extent. This leaves Holty out at the minute which is a massive shame for me because I believe he''s our best forward and by far our best leader.

Might seem obvious but I just thought that it''s quite ironic that the 2 who were the key figures in the b2b promotions can''t currently play in the same side, and I''ve got a feeling it''ll stay like this for a while.

Thoughts?

Holts got to earn his place back at the moment, though that said Morrison has got to start putting them away or he will find himself dropped, I still think that its possible to See Holt and Vaughan starting up front in a 4-4-2 with the wingers but that would see Hoolahan being dropped or Fox being dropped and Wes playing central midfield

That''s true, WSC, but it''s still true that it''s difficult to see how Holt and Wes can play in the same team unless we resurrect the diamond.

As the OP says, Wes has to play in the hole, which leaves room for only one up front. Morison seems more mobile in that position, more likely to run the channels and therefore, though I''m not sure he''s a better player than Holt, is the better man for that job.

It''s rough on Holt, but if I were manager my first priority would be to get Wes in the team.

I must be in the small minority that thought Morison was ineffective against Bolton.

He hardly won any headers and looked tired second half.

He does however look like the better candidate for the lone striker role. However Grant Holt loves to silence his detractors.

The only position Hoolahan can in is the free role inbetween midifeld and attack, try playing him in a rigid position and it doesn''t work much of the time, EG, 2008/09 - Glen Roeder the alleged football expert couldn''t work this out and/or was that stubborn he tryed to change Hoolahan which was never going to happen!

I thought at Bolton Morison was one of our poorer players although in fairness, playing in front on your own is very very difficult and he still wasa nuisance who made a good chance for himself. But overall the system worked cause we had wingers, Hoolahan running the opposition ragged, Fox pulling the strings yet we still had good defensive cover!

I thought Holt worked well as an impact sub. Holt hasn''t good pace levels for the Premiership so bringing him on when the opposition is tiring actually made us a better side and Holt played very well!

If we want wingers then your right Hoolahan and Holt can''t play in the same side cause Holt too slow too play on his own but with a diamond they can play together!

Morrison had some of the worst stats for a striker at last weekend round of games, remember seeing it in one of the papers, he had 1 shot on target and offside 6 times. I unfortunately did not see the game so can''t comment, but if we were to play the lone striker he would be my choice, hands down. in a 4 4 2 i would be happy playing any 2 out of Holt Morrison and Vaughan. I think Holt is going to have to score some a fair few goals to keep his place upfront this season.

Holt and Morison offer different things for a 4-2-3-1. But I don''t think any of them is the obvious choice. Morison, I though, did OK against Bolton but not enough to make him an automatic pick.

Holt will keep 2 CBs very busy creating space for the wingers to cut in and have a shot. He''s also great at holding the ball up and drawing fouls in dangerous positions.

Morison is fairly quick and strong, especially in the air. He''s mobile and keeps moving around which could pull defenders out of position. He need to start taking his chances, but never stops running and looks a good player.

Then there''s also Vaughan and Jackson. Vaughan has looked good in the few moments we''ve seen him but its hard to comment on whether he could work up top on his own at this point.

Jackson might be an option against a opponent who we know will dominate possession as he has so much pace and could exploit a high defensive line.

My 2 cents. try Vaughan on Monday, he needs game time and won''t be the sort of striker Sunderland will have prepared for.

id like to see vaughan playing upfront instead of morison in the same formation as bolton.

he can jump high and head a ball, and its ideal with his pace for the wingers or hoolahan to push through balls which holt/morison are not quick enough to chase.

i also think with the likes of wes brown and titus bramble at the back, vaughans pace will cause them both problems

It''s a good shout to play Vaughan up top on his own and one I think could work but I would like to see the same team on Monday night.  Get a bit of consistency in the team to steady things up.

[quote user="Boyo"]It''s a good shout to play Vaughan up top on his own and one I think could work but I would like to see the same team on Monday night.  Get a bit of consistency in the team to steady things up.[/quote]

no disrespect to James Vaughan but if any other Premiership side was playing Vaughan up front on his own, how would you rate them as an attacking threat and their overall chances of avoiding relegation ??

IMO Wes has to play as does Fox. However my opinions of Holt vs Morison are mixed (I wont include Vaughan as I havent really seen enough of him yet to make a fair judgement) as although Holt hasnt been his best yet I think he will as usual become an invakuable member of the team. He makes a nusence of himself and upsets the opposition. Both are different players playing in a different way. I also dont think Morison has shown us totally what he is about yet so its 50/50 for me although I steer towards Holt when taking into account his commitment and dedication in the way he plays.

Holt could have easily started up top instead of Morison on sat, so don''t quite agree with this thread. There are some interesting points being put forward though. No one can really predict what lambert will do on monday. As the season progresses we will be able to use player performances to 2nd guess what he will do. Here''s my 2p''s worth.                     Ruddy                                 obv.Naughton Martin Barnet Tierney                                     Fox              Bennet Johnson                      Wes                 Holt VaughanMartin gets the nod good perf against Davis, less so against N''gog, but

don''t think they''ll start

with the quickest strikersFox MOM on sat, must startBennet best of the wide 2.Johnson meat in midfield and solid throughoutWes heart of creativity, must startVaughan looked very eager so far, but i just think Lambert really wants to give him a chance from the start soonHolt back to show morison how to score goals at carrow road.Attacking 4-4-2 diamond really going for the win at home as we need to. Of course I am most likely 100% wrong. He will probably play Ruddy as LW and he will get a hatrick. Just how lambert does it!

QPR v Villa.......a perfect example of why we should NEVER play with just one up front at home.

Whilst dominating possession, QPR have the lone striker isolated and not enough men in the box to support him. I hope we never go down this road at Carrow Road, otherwise there''ll be some frustrating afternoons in store.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Boyo"]It''s a good shout to play Vaughan up top on his own and one I think could work but I would like to see the same team on Monday night.  Get a bit of consistency in the team to steady things up.[/quote] no disrespect to James Vaughan but if any other Premiership side was playing Vaughan up front on his own, how would you rate them as an attacking threat and their overall chances of avoiding relegation ??[/quote]

Thats a good point but you could say that about all our strikers.  We have to give things a go and if they work then brilliant but if they don''t then we need to try something different.  However we don''t have enough time to keep trying things which is why I would like a bit of consistency and keep the same team as against Bolton.

Play Hoolahan as an old fashioned no 10, that''s exactly the type of player he is.

Bennett------Fox-------Johnson------Pilks

------------Wessi---------------------------

------------------------Holt-------------------

Hoolahan is our most gifted footballer, he needs to be in the side IMO.

Yes personally like a previous poster I have to say that a lone striker does not work for me at this level when we are fresh to the premiership. We do not have the personnel for that system to be effective. Last week people said we made more chances, but we still only scored from set pieces.

I prefer two men upfront and believe with Hoolahan behind you have the creativity to possibly leave both EB and Pilky out of a starting 11 with Crofts, Johnson and Fox in a three man midfield who have the guts to cover our forward thinking full backs.

As always interesting debate, however I know I prefer two upfront and believe a striker partnership is what we need to create, the chances can be created but a striker partenrship can keep us up in this division.

I think they should try to use both Holt and Hoolahan.

Gk: John Ruddy

RB: Kyle Naughton, Russell Martin, Leon Barnett, Marc Tierney

Midfielder: David Fox, Bradley Johnson

Wingers: Anthony Pilkington, Elliott Bennett

Attacking Midfielder/Support/Forward: Wes Hoolahan

Lone striker: Grant Holt

4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1.

It was a brave decision to use Russell Martin as a CB against Bolton. Bolton is shit at the minute, wonder if it was against Man.Utd... The desicion reminds me how left back Simon Charlton was used as a right back in Premier League in 2004/5-season. Has Kyle Naughton ever played as a CB? Such a shame that Russell Martin isn''t used as a right back. He was very good coming forward from his right back position and up wing last season. Remember that run to get his goal away against Ip5w1ch...