Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

City to sign Leon Barrett from WBA.

Barnett, 25, joined the Baggies from Luton Town in July 2007 for an initial fee of £2.5million and has since made 55 league and cup appearances for the Midlands side, netting three goals in the process.

£2.5m!!! They obviously thought a lot of him. In Lambert we trust...

[quote user="Mike Grant"]

Barnett, 25, joined the Baggies from Luton Town in July 2007 for an initial fee of £2.5million and has since made 55 league and cup appearances for the Midlands side, netting three goals in the process.

£2.5m!!! They obviously thought a lot of him. In Lambert we trust...

[/quote]

Oops just missed it by a few seconds, Good job I didn''t slate the Wiz lol

[quote user="Lambo"]I''m happy with this (potential) signing. Think he''ll do a job for us.[/quote]Same here Lambo, and welcome Leon, all the best.

Good signing I think.  Sounds like a no nonsense type so should be a good alternative to the admiral.

Was Lutons player of the season before he went to West Brom and think Mowbray has a pretty good eye for players so if he thought he was worth 2.5m hopefully we will see something good from him.

I have no idea what he''ll be like, but no doubt he will soon be getting slagged off by the usual crew as the new Doc/Russell Martin/ John Ruddy.

If he was good enough to be picked up by West Brom he must have something, so best of luck to the lad.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I have no idea what he''ll be like, but no doubt he will soon be getting slagged off by the usual crew as the new Doc/Russell Martin/ John Ruddy.

If he was good enough to be picked up by West Brom he must have something, so best of luck to the lad.

[/quote]Nail on head.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]The fact Lambert was after him last year pleases me, it means it''s a player identified as one with potential and not a desperation loan.

[quote user="Canary Wanderer"]I sometimes wonder why people try to stir things up on here against Askou. If Lambert didn''t want him he would have left in front of Stephens, Docherty and Spillane. So we go into the season with 4 good Centre Backs seems solid. Now we have 2 Injured and 1 more just coming back from injury so we need cover in case unfortunately one more gets injured. Surely it is as simple as that. Please do the maths before you all do the stirring. Askou and Ward will be a great pairing and Whitbread to come in very gently as he has been injury prone and now we need cover for about a month.[/quote]That''s why I said I thought Lambert had SOME faith in Askou. Otherwise he wouldn''t have let Spillane and Doherty go. But the fact that he signed Whitbread and Ward showed he didn''t have TOTAL faith in Askou to make the step up to the Championship.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Canary Wanderer"]I sometimes wonder why people try to stir things up on here against Askou. If Lambert didn''t want him he would have left in front of Stephens, Docherty and Spillane. So we go into the season with 4 good Centre Backs seems solid. Now we have 2 Injured and 1 more just coming back from injury so we need cover in case unfortunately one more gets injured. Surely it is as simple as that. Please do the maths before you all do the stirring. Askou and Ward will be a great pairing and Whitbread to come in very gently as he has been injury prone and now we need cover for about a month.
[/quote]

That''s why I said I thought Lambert had SOME faith in Askou. Otherwise he wouldn''t have let Spillane and Doherty go. But the fact that he signed Whitbread and Ward showed he didn''t have TOTAL faith in Askou to make the step up to the Championship.

[/quote]

I think that Lambert probably has faith in Askou in the Championship, but he is looking for a bit more than that, which is PROMOTION to the Premier League.

This from a speedway fan who also is a WBA fan, hmmmmmmm [:|]

Barnett, despite looking good at times makes some absolute clangers. Got sent off in two consecutive games for us too. Him and Ward together will look world beaters one day, then will cost 3 or 4 goals the next!

Nothing against the new lad as I''m sure he''ll do well but I do hope that Askou gets a chance with Wardy first.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Nothing against the new lad as I''m sure he''ll do well but I do hope that Askou gets a chance with Wardy first.

[/quote]

Absolutely !!.... especially after his performance and goal on Tuesday.

Past history would point to Askou getting the nod as when you think of the players brought to the club by Lambert once the season has been underway only Russell Martin & Fraser came straight into the side. Both of which were neccessaties.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

This from a speedway fan who also is a WBA fan, hmmmmmmm [:|]

Barnett, despite looking good at times makes some absolute clangers. Got sent off in two consecutive games for us too. Him and Ward together will look world beaters one day, then will cost 3 or 4 goals the next!
[/quote]Sounds a bit like Rusty eh? I don''t care for his past and will judge him based on a large number of city appearences.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Doctor Wankenstein"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Apparently:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6334658,00.html

[/quote]That should read Barnett![:$][/quote]

Pity it isn''t ''Barrett'', because I could then have quipped ''he''s as safe as houses''.

chortle, guffaw, tee hee hee.[/quote]Crikey.Not one of your best.

[/quote]

That''s what happens when one sets such a high standard for oneself.There should be an editing facility here.

[quote user="Doctor Wankenstein"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Apparently:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6334658,00.html

[/quote]That should read Barnett![:$][/quote]

Pity it isn''t ''Barrett'', because I could then have quipped ''he''s as safe as houses''.

chortle, guffaw, tee hee hee.[/quote]I''d have gone with "he''ll put some shine on that crazy diamond".