Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

City to sign Leon Barrett from WBA.

[quote user="Dogger "]Loaned at Coventry last season, anyone seen him play?[/quote]Only on highlights Dogger, but he had a good loan there apparently.

With lambert saying he is trying to get a CB in on loan before the weekend this looks increasingly plausible.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Dogger "]Loaned at Coventry last season, anyone seen him play?[/quote]Only on highlights Dogger, but he had a good loan there apparently.[/quote]

19 games. 2 red cards. Conceded 3 penalties. In his own words "an indifferent loan spell" and a mediocre season!

Not exactly massively encouraging but will give him the benefit of the doubt as he was rated at Luton by all accounts.

Rated at Luton?  Means nothing, can''t think of the last player to have spent time there to be any good for us.

[quote user=COYY]We should have just took Davenport on a free but looks like hes Leeds bound now

I''ve been told he just don''t have the legs no more[:$]

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Rated at Luton?  Means nothing, can''t think of the last player to have spent time there to be any good for us.

[/quote]Err Chris Martin, for those who can''t spot 22'' irony.[;)]

Good defender very low on confidence; if Lambert can build him up, as he seems capable of doing, I''d be happy to see him here.

Cov fans think he''s a bit of a liability. WBA fan says:

"Got your self a solid defender. Good pace, good in the air, puts his body on the line. Was absolutely quality for us in his first season for us under Mowbray, came as a no nonsense defender but then in the prem Mowbray told him to play it out on the deck and that did his confidence in and hasn''t been the same since.

Get his confidence back and you''ve got a quality champ defender."

Leon is one of those players who made the move to the Prem too early. He still has bags of ability so could be a good signing. Personally I would have looked no further than Neal Trotman at Preston. Seen him a few times and have been in owe of his ability. No idea why he''s been listed at Preston. I think they''ll regret getting rid in the future. He''d be a fantastic signing. Having said that - If Barnett gets into form he''s the type of player Lambert might beg the board to keep when the Jan transfer window opens.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Cov fans think he''s a bit of a liability. WBA fan says:

"Got your self a solid defender. Good pace, good in the air, puts his body on the line. Was absolutely quality for us in his first season for us under Mowbray, came as a no nonsense defender but then in the prem Mowbray told him to play it out on the deck and that did his confidence in and hasn''t been the same since.

Get his confidence back and you''ve got a quality champ defender."

[/quote]

seen about 5 of covs games last season he reminded me of the doc, played well at times but beaten for pace and preety clumsy.

[quote user="The Chirp"]Personally I would have looked no further than Neal Trotman at Preston. Seen him a few times and have been in owe of his ability. No idea why he''s been listed at Preston. I think they''ll regret getting rid in the future. He''d be a fantastic signing. [/quote]Trotman is dreadful as his loan spells at Soton & Huddersfield proved, was a liability even at League 1 level.

If this does happen it''ll give us a good indication of where Askou figures in the managers thinking.

How would Askou feel if he was left on the bench with a player brought in on loan in the team ahead of him?

If that turned out to be the case he''d surely see his future away from Carrow Road, if he wanted regular first team football.

I see the brilliant correlation between this and Norwich City Football Club. Thanks Wizard, another insightful post. [:)]

[quote user="GJP"]

If this does happen it''ll give us a good indication of where Askou figures in the managers thinking.

How would Askou feel if he was left on the bench with a player brought in on loan in the team ahead of him?

If that turned out to be the case he''d surely see his future away from Carrow Road, if he wanted regular first team football.

[/quote]I think that this particular issue is quite complex. It fairly obvious that Ward is one of Lambert''s first choices (Well I think so anyway) and to a certain respect Nelson is just keeping that place warm for whenever Whitbread ever regains full fitness. But I think that Nelson has been instrumental in carrying Ward a little till he himself is fully up to speed. Now considering how much first team football Askou has had recently, can he step into those shoes? I''m not so sure its such a very good idea, at least one centre back has to be firing on all cylinders.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I think that this particular issue is quite complex. It fairly obvious that Ward is one of Lambert''s first choices (Well I think so anyway) and to a certain respect Nelson is just keeping that place warm for whenever Whitbread ever regains full fitness. But I think that Nelson has been instrumental in carrying Ward a little till he himself is fully up to speed. Now considering how much first team football Askou has had recently, can he step into those shoes? I''m not so sure its such a very good idea, at least one centre back has to be firing on all cylinders.
[/quote] 

Spot on. Askou doesn''t have a divine right to the place having hardly played first team football since before Christmas. If we can bring in someone who''s up to playing speed to go against Earnie I''d be happy for him to go straight in.

I have seen him play in a few games on sky. He is a defender with a large amount of ability but he does sometimes have the odd suicidal moment where he switches off (like a lot of the WBA defence acutally). I think the thing which rules out Davenport is that we need a defender who is ready to play now. because Askou is just finding his way back and I have lost faith in Whitbread being able to string a decent run of games together. In conclusion I don''t think Lambert will find anything better out there to cover for Nelson at the moment. So this signing is a good move in my opinion. Its nice to see Lambert dealing with potential problems early. I remember having this problem under Roeder and we ending up playing Drury, Grounds and Omosuzi at centre back at various stages during the season.