Sign in to follow this  
Erik the Viking

Darel & Mickey.............

Really disappointed that these two have been let go unless we bring in better replacements.

Lets take Russell first, one of the only midfielders we have on the books with Championship experience. Key last season in the diamond formation although some people have rapidly forgot this, he was great in front of the back four/won the ball & gave it simple which every team needs. One major concern is who is going to win the ball in the middle of the park? unless Crofts steps up to the plate & Korey, but again these two are untested in this division !? Fox/Lappin/Hughes/Gill/Tudur Jones/Surman/McNamee cant tackle between them!

Secondly Spillane, looked very good in some games at right back and the game he was injured in he was outstanding. Good youngster with versatility would have been a key squad player.Would have pushed Martin all the way for a first team start. Also for me I want to see us keep this "local grown talent" on board as much as possible, players that really want to wear the shirt.

Lambert in my eyes is a top,top manager but I sincerely hope that these positions will be addressed..................

I believe Lambert has offered Russell a new contract but he hasn''t signed it or for anyone yet!

Russell could be back?

Spillane was a surprise and while I think he''d of done a job as a squad player at least it wasn''t certain he''d fully establish himself!

[quote user="Gazza"]

Really disappointed that these two have been let go unless we bring in better replacements.

Lets take Russell first, one of the only midfielders we have on the books with Championship experience. Key last season in the diamond formation although some people have rapidly forgot this, he was great in front of the back four/won the ball & gave it simple which every team needs. One major concern is who is going to win the ball in the middle of the park? unless Crofts steps up to the plate & Korey, but again these two are untested in this division !? [b]Fox/Lappin/Hughes/Gill/Tudur Jones/Surman/McNamee cant tackle between them![/b]

Secondly Spillane, looked very good in some games at right back and the game he was injured in he was outstanding. Good youngster with versatility would have been a key squad player.Would have pushed Martin all the way for a first team start. Also for me I want to see us keep this "local grown talent" on board as much as possible, players that really want to wear the shirt.

Lambert in my eyes is a top,top manager but I sincerely hope that these positions will be addressed..................

[/quote]What exactly you basing that on? You''ve seen hardly anything of Crofts/Tudor Jones/Surman/Gill/Fox and to an extent, Hughes...So unless you''re basing it on guess work, your post has already become another to put in the.. "I don''t really know, but I do like moaning" catergory.

I cant see lambert letting rusty and spillane go without having someone else to fill there boots.

[quote user="Adam NCFC"][quote user="Gazza"]

Lets take Russell first, one of the only midfielders we have on the books with Championship experience. Key last season in the diamond formation although some people have rapidly forgot this, he was great in front of the back four/won the ball & gave it simple which every team needs. One major concern is who is going to win the ball in the middle of the park? unless Crofts steps up to the plate & Korey, but again these two are untested in this division !? [b]Fox/Lappin/Hughes/Gill/Tudur Jones/Surman/McNamee cant tackle between them![/b]

[/quote]

What exactly you basing that on? You''ve seen hardly anything of Crofts/Tudor Jones/Surman/Gill/Fox and to an extent, Hughes...

So unless you''re basing it on guess work, your post has already become another to put in the.. "I don''t really know, but I do like moaning" catergory.

[/quote]

Seen enough of Gill/Tudur Jones/Lappin/Hughes to know they are not ball winners, plus Surman/Fox are not renowned for this being one of their strengths. So guess work it is not!. So Mr know it all you have no concerns at all then?, so your post is another "shove it up your ar$e!?" 

I really don''t think Russel would have been as good in the holding role in the Championship as he was in League 1.  Firstly you need to be a good passer.  He was alright at this in League 1 but in the Championship his level of passing would not have been good enough.  Also his discipline would have been tested right to the limit.  In League 1 it was just about there and that was because he actually managed to keep tabs on the player he was marking.  In the Championship the players in behind the strikers and will be quick, agile and one step ahead of him so I think we would have seen him make a lot of rash challenges.  I really don''t think he is a big loss at all.

However whether Crofts is any better or as good I don''t know...

Lambert has been fantastic for us so far but it doesn''t mean he''s always right.

So far IMO, his main strengths have been in organising and motivating the team, his transfers of players in and out have been somewhat less impressive.

Ah! So Lambo happens to think two of the old favourite names that bang about on this board will not be quite up to the standard he wants to push the club forward and we start criticising the guy because he''s not good in the transfer market.

God give me strength.

Could it just be that we now have a set up at the club that we haven''t been use to for many a year. A set up that aims high to achieve the best they possibly can.

If Lambo reincarnates as Mr Gunn, then be my guest and have a crack at him then!!!

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]Lambert has been fantastic for us so far but it doesn''t mean he''s always right. So far IMO, his main strengths have been in organising and motivating the team, his transfers of players in and out have been somewhat less impressive.[/quote]

Totally agree with that, in my eyes he is superb but everybody makes errors.

It just makes me laugh how people one min are saying Spillanes superb and how they dont want Russell to leave and the next min they are saying good riddance?!, twin that with the fact that Crofts/Fox are better players than Russell although Russell has played at a higher level for most of his career!?

I sincerely hope that Crofts is that ball winner required and can cut the mustard in the Championship but if he doesn''t we could have problems in that department....

I think it may be unfair on Lambert to see these decisions as exclusively his. We all knew that Russell''s contract was coming to an end and that he had been offered a new one. We also know that there has been a drive to reduce the wage bill (this, I suspect, was a major factor in Doc''s departure) . I would guess that the offer on the table didn''t match Rusty''s view of his worth and so, quite rightly, he''s looking for more money elsewhere. The question, therefore is whether Lambert should have manipulated his playing budget to keep him. My opinion is that the answer is no. Rusty did well last season, but as someone else says above, his passing isn''t great, and we all know that he has a very short fuse when frustrated. Crofts seems to be the replacement, in that he is a ballwinner, but I know little of the lad, so won''t speculate about his passing range, but clearly Lambert and co do their homework, so I''m expecting to be impressed. In addition he has considerably less miles on the clock.

Spillane clearly wants first team football, but is the second choice right back and is now hardly in the pecking order for centre back berths (his best position in my view), so it''s no urprise that he wants to move. I like Spillane, but I really don''t see him ever becoming an outstanding Championship fullback. I think he could do it a centre back, but as I''ve said the way is well and truly blocked at Carrow Road for him in that position.

[quote user="Gazza"]It just makes me laugh how people one min are saying Spillanes superb and how they dont want Russell to leave and the next min they are saying good riddance[/quote]Are different people not saying these things?  I don''t think I''ve seen anybody suddenly change their mind just because they''ve left.

Russell would have gone well before now if some club had wanted him.He is a another has been look at his lazey do not care less attitude he dose not give a toss for ncfc and does not  like the supporters much either .Get rid of him and as Lambert say he want players who want to play for our club not some swanky reject who was given another chance with our club following his exit from his last club.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]Lambert has been fantastic for us so far but it doesn''t mean he''s always right. So far IMO, his main strengths have been in organising and motivating the team, his transfers of players in and out have been somewhat less impressive.[/quote]Blasphemer!

Very surprised to see Spillane go. But at 21 maybe Lambert feels Spillane should be the real deal by now.Good luck to Rusty. I hope he gets a better club than Leeds.

Completely agree Bury.

Some on here just seem to want to criticise everything that happens no matter what.

Always worries me when people pass comment on players as not being good enough when none of us have hardly seen them play, how much did we see Gill or Tudor-Jones last year, hardly anything so who can say whether they will do the business or not, I''ll pass comment when I have seen them play more than a brief appearance, however, if both or either go then I trust Lambert to know what he is doing.

As for Crofts, do people not remember him being the Brighton "muscle" when they came to Carrow Road, it was he that got into a scuffle with Russell in the corner near the hotel and if my memory serves me rightly, he got stuck in all match

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Also Russell wasn''t let go was he?  I was under the impression that Lambert offered him a contract and he simply didn''t sign it.
[/quote]

Not let go but hes left and in my eyes a big loss...

"his transfers of players in and out have been somewhat less impressive."evidence

I have heard it said that Rusty has a much higher opinion of his abilities than his coaches do. If this is the case then the contract offered him would be less than he would believe he''s worth. Since he hasn''t signed it I am now inclined to believe this story.

[quote user="Gazza"]Not let go but hes left and in my eyes a big loss...[/quote]Gazza. You, more than most, have bemoaned the club in the past for not showing enough ambition. Yet you want us to keep a journeyman midfielder who can''t hit a straight pass and a 21 year old who has never fulfilled his potential. Korey Smith is how you do it.

lappinitup, completely agree with your post. Russell did a job for us but this one for me is the same as (I''ll say this really quietly but the same Doc).

His time has come to an end, we have more talent in midfield and there are others (not proven yet) who could do the same job as Russell, that''s assuming we don''t land another shock new signing!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Gazza"]Not let go but hes left and in my eyes a big loss...[/quote]Gazza. You, more than most, have bemoaned the club in the past for not showing enough ambition. Yet you want us to keep a journeyman midfielder who can''t hit a straight pass and a 21 year old who has never fulfilled his potential. Korey Smith is how you do it.[/quote]

and who spends several games a season suspended

Russell had a good season last year.  But people have quickly forgotten he wasnt really that good at Championship level

Key issue are the replacements better than the players we''ve lost.  Only time will tell

Valid point, Doc went, in came Ward, who I think is much better (lets not start that debate again!), out goes Spillane and we''ll see who comes in and out has gone Russell (through his own choice) but I suspect this was already known hence Crofts

Amazing how many people right off people who they haven''t even seen yet though

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Gazza"]Not let go but hes left and in my eyes a big loss...[/quote]Gazza. You, more than most, have bemoaned the club in the past for not showing enough ambition. Yet you want us to keep a journeyman midfielder who can''t hit a straight pass and a 21 year old who has never fulfilled his potential. Korey Smith is how you do it.[/quote]

Will we bring in better though Lapp or do you think we have better at the club already?, am hoping that Crofts is the man but if he isnt?!. Yes I have bemoaned the club for not showing enough ambition so lets hope that Crofts/whoever is capable enough to get us out of the division at the right end this time! 

Can someone please clarify to me exactly what Russell did last year that makes him irreplaceable?

I thought Korey was the outstanding midfielder last year and completely outshone Russell, one is 29 with lots of experience and the other is 18 and just out of the youth team and bearing in mind that Korey was the 18 yr old, I''d be much more upset if the news what that Korey was leaving

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

and who spends several games a season suspended

Russell had a good season last year.  But people have quickly forgotten he wasnt really that good at Championship level

Key issue are the replacements better than the players we''ve lost.  Only time will tell

[/quote]

Russell was played out of position up front by Roeder or as an attacking midfielder, last season Lambert found his true position and learning from Lambert brought on his game leaps & bounds and all I am  saying I felt he would have produced again in the Npower for us-que sera!

Totally agree with the only time will tell quote though.........