Sign in to follow this  
kdncfc

Lightweight in midfield.

Pleased with the signings so far but we now need a bit of muscle in the middle of the park if we are not to be bullied in that area, Fox and Surman are both creative players and both are known as being lightweight. Not convinced Russell is good enough and he may well be leaving anyway so imo we need a Damian Francis type player to compliment what we have, I''d guess Lambert is aware of this having tried to sign Taiwo a few weeks ago. I''d really fancy us to make the top six this season if we can find the right player.

I''d agre with that,kd. There were times even last season where we lacked a bit of muscle in the middle of the park,but in the main, the other players were so much better than the opposition,it didn''t matter,and we could play our way out of it.That will clearly not be the case next season,so we do certainly need to sign someone like that. All the best Norwich teams over the years have included a midfield "boss".

Andrew Crofts is the midfield muscle that you are talking about!

Not sure if you remember the Brighton game at Carrow Road but he was the one that kepy sticking the boot in on our players all match and then preceeded to rugby tackle Rusty to the floor down in the hotel corner that caused a ruck, which interestingly he didn''t even get booked but Rusty did!!

Agree we might need another one but I have a funny feeling that we might see a little bit more of Tom Adeyemi this year, he has all the attribute of being that kind of player, he''s a big lad, likes to get stuck in and will get box to box, watched him a few times in the Youth Team with Korey a couple of years ago and they were a really effective pair as ball winner and ball player

[quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote]They don''t play in  such a physical league, Messi would find it difficult in the Championship just like he did last night for 75 minutes although his class did shine through in the end.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Korey smith will also add the strength. We were lost without him last season in the midfeidls.[/quote]Korey is hardly a physical presence although he does put himself about a bit.

Would much rather a right winger be added to the squad if another midfielder is brought in.

Russell, Korey, Spillane and Crofts is as much midfield muscle as most teams will have available to them in the Championship. 

Sorry, but if we do keep hold of Russell then a little bit more skill is required to be added to what we already have.  Unless of course you would like to be a team of cloggers like Sheff Utd???

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote]They don''t play in  such a physical league, Messi would find it difficult in the Championship just like he did last night for 75 minutes although his class did shine through in the end.[/quote]Love it !!!!

Smudger

Do you not think that Hoolahan, Fox, McNamee, Surman and Lappin provide a bit of midfield quality rather than just clogging?

Not having a dig, just a view as I think we are actually quite well balanced, I think the biggest problem is which 4 out of all of the ones we have!!

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote]They don''t play in  such a physical league, Messi would find it difficult in the Championship just like he did last night for 75 minutes although his class did shine through in the end.[/quote]Love it !!!![/quote]Glad to hear it.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote] Messi would find it difficult in the Championship.[/quote]

Oh come on mate, Messi would be untouchable in the Championship.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote]They don''t play in  such a physical league, Messi would find it difficult in the Championship just like he did last night for 75 minutes although his class did shine through in the end.[/quote]Love it !!!![/quote]/\/\ x2Aresnal seem to do alright with an average hight of a mighty 5ft 9inches. Fabregas, Nasri, Denileson, Rosicky, Walcott, Arshavin. The only one ofver 6ft is Abou Diaby.

[quote user="Wardogz"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote] Messi would find it difficult in the Championship.[/quote]

Oh come on mate, Messi would be untouchable in the Championship.[/quote]He''d get kicked all over the place, obviously the comment about him struggling in the Championship was tongue in cheek but the point is players like Messi don''t like it if the opposing players get in their faces all the time.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Wardogz"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote] Messi would find it difficult in the Championship.[/quote]

Oh come on mate, Messi would be untouchable in the Championship.[/quote]He''d get kicked all over the place, obviously the comment about him struggling in the Championship was tongue in cheek but the point is players like Messi don''t like it if the opposing players get in their faces all the time.[/quote]You''ve got to catch the bugger first .......

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]Smudger Do you not think that Hoolahan, Fox, McNamee, Surman and Lappin provide a bit of midfield quality rather than just clogging? Not having a dig, just a view as I think we are actually quite well balanced, I think the biggest problem is which 4 out of all of the ones we have!![/quote]

Yes and you can also add Hughes to the players you mentioned who can chip in with a bit of quality also. 

I would still love to see a right winger though!

I think that we are pretty well balanced at the moment too... [Y]  I do not think we need to bring in any midfield muscle, unless Russell does leave.  We do not know that Russell will be leaving yet.
Unless Lambert has somebody lined up on a free transfer for cheaper wages than Russell is on who he considers a better player, then I fully expect Russell will be at the base of the diamond for us again in the majority of matches this coming season.

A right winger added to what we have, will give us every option we could wish for in midfield this coming season.

Smudger,

Absolutely agree, and thanks for reminding me of Hughes (who is actually one of my favourite players so oops!!)

I really hope we do make a move for Danny Green, he is only 18/19 but I watched him play for Dagenham in their play off matches and looks and excellent player, although I suspect others will be looking but how many bigger clubs than us will take a gamble on a young midfielder!?!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Would much rather a right winger be added to the squad if another midfielder is brought in.

Russell, Korey, Spillane and Crofts is as much midfield muscle as most teams will have available to them in the Championship. 

Sorry, but if we do keep hold of Russell then a little bit more skill is required to be added to what we already have.  Unless of course you would like to be a team of cloggers like Sheff Utd???

[/quote]

Same here, Smudger, we still lack pace on the right of midfield. In fact the whole squad is pretty thin on pace. The diamond got away with it in the Third tier, but it was the introduction of McNamee''s pace and the 4-4-2 during the latter half of the season that garnered the points necessary for automatic promotion - some 9 to11 points came by way of McNamee goals and assists.The tempo of the game in the 2nd Division is quicker and I hope Lambo isn''t satisfied that McNamee will fill the void on the right where he is out of his favoured position.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="spencer 1970"]lightweight? what like barca/spain?[/quote]They don''t play in  such a physical league, Messi would find it difficult in the Championship just like he did last night for 75 minutes although his class did shine through in the end.[/quote]Love it !!!![/quote]He''d find his level in League One, though.

Crofts, Smith, Adeyemi, (Russel)... Thats enough midfield muscle I think and it would be stupid to buy another muscley midfielder as thats not we we need on priority.  Also I don''t remember Surman as being lightweight.  Not exactly muscle but can hold his own agaisn''t a defender.  If we were to buy any more midfielders then it should definately be a right winger.

Sorry, but if we do keep hold of Russell then a little bit more skill is required to be added to what we already have.  Unless of course you would like to be a team of cloggers like Sheff Utd??? Same here, Smudger, we still lack pace on the right of midfield. In fact the whole squad is pretty thin on pace. The diamond got away with it in the Third tier, but it was the introduction of McNamee''s pace and the 4-4-2 during the latter half of the season that garnered the points necessary for automatic promotion - some 9 to11 points came by way of McNamee goals and assists. The tempo of the game in the 2nd Division is quicker and I hope Lambo isn''t satisfied that McNamee will fill the void on the right where he is out of his favoured position.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Tempo and player pace are different things.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I think we will see Spillane at right back.

Need a few Chileans to kick the kidney beans out of the opposition. Do those guys with the panpipes still hang around Gentlemans Walk?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Same here, Smudger, we still lack pace on the right of midfield. In fact the whole squad is pretty thin on pace. The diamond got away with it in the Third tier, but it was the introduction of McNamee''s pace and the 4-4-2 during the latter half of the season that garnered the points necessary for automatic promotion - some 9 to11 points came by way of McNamee goals and assists.The tempo of the game in the 2nd Division is quicker and I hope Lambo isn''t satisfied that McNamee will fill the void on the right where he is out of his favoured position. [/quote]

I will admit that I saved this thread on my hard drive in the hope of bringing it back to prove you wrong for once, but it seems your right again shyster.

[quote user="Quentin"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Same here, Smudger, we still lack pace on the right of midfield. In fact the whole squad is pretty thin on pace. The diamond got away with it in the Third tier, but it was the introduction of McNamee''s pace and the 4-4-2 during the latter half of the season that garnered the points necessary for automatic promotion - some 9 to11 points came by way of McNamee goals and assists.The tempo of the game in the 2nd Division is quicker and I hope Lambo isn''t satisfied that McNamee will fill the void on the right where he is out of his favoured position. [/quote]

I will admit that I saved this thread on my hard drive in the hope of bringing it back to prove you wrong for once, but it seems your right again shyster.[/quote]We lost both Russell and Spillane though Quentin and haven''t replaced them.This as was agreed a couple of months ago nearly seems to have left us lightweight in the midfield.... [Y]