Sign in to follow this  
Road to Nowhere

Feel so sorry for the fans

Incredible turnout last night by our fans and probably the best atmosphere before a game I have heard in ages. We were pretty much full half an hour before the game and seemed to outnumber the home support!

Then the game started and it all went downhill. It is difficult to be too critical of a team still 6 points clear at the top but the fans simply deserve better.

You would have thought great support and a good atmosphere would inspire our players but instead we get served up a complete load of directionless dross.

If the team had half the passion of the fans last night we would have walked it.

They do have passion RtN, don''t start all that. It was their nerves that were evident above all else for me last night. People who don''t care don''t get nervous. Did you see the body language afterwards - they looked like their world had fallen apart.

[quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

Incredible turnout last night by our fans and probably the best atmosphere before a game I have heard in ages. We were pretty much full half an hour before the game and seemed to outnumber the home support!

Then the game started and it all went downhill. It is difficult to be too critical of a team still 6 points clear at the top but the fans simply deserve better.

You would have thought great support and a good atmosphere would inspire our players but instead we get served up a complete load of directionless dross.

If the team had half the passion of the fans last night we would have walked it.

[/quote]

I agree, we just didn''t compete.

It was like watching 2 sunday pub teams, except they wanted it.

[quote user="Romantic"]They do have passion RtN, don''t start all that. It was their nerves that were evident above all else for me last night. People who don''t care don''t get nervous. Did you see the body language afterwards - they looked like their world had fallen apart.
[/quote]

Yes, I don''t disagree they have passion, but last night I was just amazed by the lack of performance. We made Orient look like a good side and it was hard to tell which team was going for promotion! It was encouraging to see them disappointed at the end but it was too late then.

Managers/players always bleat on about how great it is to play in front of a large, noisy crowd yet (and not for the first time) it is followed by a really abject performance. As I said, I hate to be too critical and still believe we will go up but really upset by what happened.

I''ll get off my soapbox now.

Oh come onnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!! 1 game of lacklustre football and already our poor old travelling support should have Samaritans on hand to ease their tender souls....

Get over it, we played bad, we lost. We had 2 of our best players out. But we''re still in the driving seat with over 2 get out of jail free cards in the bank... If you feel ''so sorry'' for our fans have a little thought for fans of teams like Southend.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Oh come onnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!! 1 game of lacklustre football and already our poor old travelling support should have Samaritans on hand to ease their tender souls....

Get over it, we played bad, we lost. We had 2 of our best players out. But we''re still in the driving seat with over 2 get out of jail free cards in the bank... If you feel ''so sorry'' for our fans have a little thought for fans of teams like Southend.
[/quote]

Step forward the man who is happy with a defeat at the mighty Orient! You''d probably be happy if we stayed down this year right?

Sorry if I''ve got a little more ambition than that.

[/quote]Football was crap but hey ho...we''re Norwich fans... still had a good day out.  Easy trip, excellent hour in their Supporters Club before the game with their fans and ours......real ale at good prices......Gunn Club take note!!!!!

Thats football. One teams supporters go home happy, one teams does not. If we won last night I wouldnt have felt sorry for Orient fans. Games arent played in the stands, they are played on the pitch.Having said that I admire our travelling support, their number and noise im sure is the envy of many a club in this league [Y]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Oh come onnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!! 1 game of lacklustre football and already our poor old travelling support should have Samaritans on hand to ease their tender souls....

[/quote]

I bet you were singing Delia''s barmy army at Portman road after the game at our last defeat there along with the other happy clappers who seem to take any defeat on the chin and walk off shrugging his shoulders mumbling something about "oh well there''s always next week"

You love it when we lose don''t you Whittle. It doesn''t take you long to become separatist and divisive does it?

[quote user="Romantic"]You love it when we lose don''t you Whittle. It doesn''t take you long to become separatist and divisive does it?[/quote]One of a few on here who seem to revel in misery.I notice the phrase "happy clappers" has made a quick re-appearance lol.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Get over it, we played bad, we lost. We had 2 of our best players out. But we''re still in the driving seat with over 2 get out of jail free cards in the bank... If you feel ''so sorry'' for our fans have a little thought for fans of teams like Southend.[/quote]

I bet you were singing Delia''s barmy army at Portman road after the game at our last defeat there along with the other happy clappers who seem to take any defeat on the chin and walk off shrugging his shoulders mumbling something about "oh well there''s always next week"

[/quote]So your saying we should only be happy if we win every game?Given we are top of the league and one of the top scorers in the country I dont see how our fans ''Deserve better''. It makes us sound like ''The long suffering'' (TM) Newcastle fans who are ''Starved of success''.

Get over it, we played bad, we lost. We had 2 of our best players out. But we''re still in the driving seat with over 2 get out of jail free cards in the bank... If you feel ''so sorry'' for our fans have a little thought for fans of teams like Southend.[/quote]

Step forward the man who is happy with a defeat at the mighty Orient! You''d probably be happy if we stayed down this year right?

[/quote]Ambition has nothing to do with bringing out the string quartet and black mourning gowns.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

[/quote]

Football was crap but hey ho...we''re Norwich fans... still had a good day out.  Easy trip, excellent hour in their Supporters Club before the game with their fans and ours......real ale at good prices......Gunn Club take note!!!!!

Good for you mate, I was in the ground 45 mins early and couldnt get a drink!

[/quote]

[quote user="Romantic"]You love it when we lose don''t you Whittle. It doesn''t take you long to become separatist and divisive does it?
[/quote]

Actually i''d say its your attitude that suggests losing is no big deal. I feckin hate seeing city lose and thats why i voice my opinion instead of shrugging my shoulders or chanting the Queen bee after the scum has practically relegated us at Portman rd. I but a lot of the blame on these supporters for us being in Division 3 and i''m not going to say "hey hoo we''re city fans" and watch us limp out of this league when we should ve wrapped things up.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ambition has nothing to do with bringing out the string quartet and black mourning gowns.
[/quote]

Now whose being over dramatic?

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

[/quote]Ambition has nothing to do with bringing out the string quartet and black mourning gowns.[/quote]Nicely pointed out Andy - A lack of "Passion" and "Ambition" were two of the

biggest gripes of the Worthy Outers many moons ago.  Completely

arbitrary things, you can''t set a test for them, but these concepts are very handy sticks to beat people with when you''re

throwing your toys out of the pram coz you''re not getting what you want.As for our tremendous away support, I''d say that they''re having one of our better ever seasons in terms of success - shame it''s in league 1 but there you are.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="Romantic"]You love it when we lose don''t you Whittle. It doesn''t take you long to become separatist and divisive does it?[/quote]

Actually i''d say its your attitude that suggests losing is no big deal. I feckin hate seeing city lose and thats why i voice my opinion instead of shrugging my shoulders or chanting the Queen bee after the scum has practically relegated us at Portman rd. I but a lot of the blame on these supporters for us being in Division 3 and i''m not going to say "hey hoo we''re city fans" and watch us limp out of this league when we should ve wrapped things up.

[/quote]No need to underline your opinions Arthur I have the common decency to read your posts before passing comment. Furthermore I hope I would always avoid placing you in a big generalised category making assumptions on your personal responses based on the reaction of those i perceive you to be aligned with. I think I do a reasonable job of balancing my criticism of regime and team with my enjoyment of football on a match by match basis. Its complicated. Don''t you dare make assumptions about my opinions on our majority shareholders based on my posts in this thread. Much as you''d love to see yourself as the unelected head of one of two polarised supporters groups - you''re not. It''s much much more textured than that.

Thoughts from last night...

Yes we didn''t play great, if it had not been for two defensive errors we would not be so down beat.

Atmosphere was excellent, other than some little chav telling me to shut up! (I could have clouted him!!)

Clearly miss Holt & Hoolahan! Still rather Spillane of Askou at centre back to Nelson (I can''t even hoof the ball!)

Elliott can go back to Preston

and finally....

As me and friends walking out, a disgruntled Norwich fan looked at us in disgust as we we''re singing and said the followin.. quote "That was the worst performance i''ve seen in years!" to which my response was, did you not go to the opening game of the season?!

It was not good, but a little hash, you could see nerves, they wanted to play well with such great support. I seen to remember a lot worse - Burnley at home prior to NW sacking, Col U first game of season, Fulham last game of season..just to name three! 

your support was, as i''ve already said, brilliant. the pleasing difference for me between you and Charlton/Leeds/Southampton/Millwall who all took the same number as you was you were much better behaved, and seemed to have some sort of respect for our ground and fans.

We had 4500 (pretty normal for us) and you had 3000 so not quite more away fans than home fans. But i''ve never seen us make such a racket as we did last night.

Keep it up [Y]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Thanks Lord Horn, you sum my last post up perfectly. Jeez![/quote]Cheers Arthur...never been accused of being a ''happy clapper'' before and don''t like that one bit.  I certainly didn''t walk away from Brisbane Road last night anything less than seething.  The point I was making was that after nearly 50 years of watching our beloved team you get used to being kicked back even when you feel almost unassailable.  Just pointing out that I still enjoyed my pint and by the way almost decked some clown singing ''Delia''s Barmy Army'' in the 2nd half....that good enough for you???

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Thoughts from last night...

Yes we didn''t play great, if it had not been for two defensive errors we would not be so down beat.

Atmosphere was excellent, other than some little chav telling me to shut up! (I could have clouted him!!)

Clearly miss Holt & Hoolahan! Still rather Spillane of Askou at centre back to Nelson (I can''t even hoof the ball!)

Elliott can go back to Preston

and finally....

As me and friends walking out, a disgruntled Norwich fan looked at us in disgust as we we''re singing and said the followin.. quote "That was the worst performance i''ve seen in years!" to which my response was, did you not go to the opening game of the season?!

It was not good, but a little hash, you could see nerves, they wanted to play well with such great support. I seen to remember a lot worse - Burnley at home prior to NW sacking, Col U first game of season, Fulham last game of season..just to name three! 

[/quote]

I saw that little arguement looked like it was those roses were at it again.

Bad game last night, but we''re still going up up up, or at least that is what the song tells me.

If Grant Holt was an animal distributed across Africa and certain parts of Aisa, I have a feeling he''d be a honey badger. Not any honey badger, but one who felt very sorry for the fans who went to Orient last night.

Back on topic.

I thought it was interesting thaat russel Slade said he didn''t have to get his players up for the game as "coming out to see 3 thousand Norwich supporters did it for him". He said getting his players up for saturdays match at home to Stockport would be more difficult. 

[quote user="marvin the martian"]I thought it was interesting thaat russel Slade said he didn''t have to get his players up for the game as "coming out to see 3 thousand Norwich supporters did it for him". He said getting his players up for saturdays match at home to Stockport would be more difficult. [/quote]That''s it then - stay away from Charlton lads !