Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

What has been the worst thing the board has done at this club

[quote user="Croydon Canary"]Go back to 1995,if Chase had given the cash for Windass,we would have kept hold of one of the best managers of a generation and of course what a great player Dean Windass would have been for City ![/quote]

If we hadn''t signed Fleck (pt 2) for £650k and Rush for £300k we would have had the money for Windass.

Prudence with ambition, we had a good few years and that fat wankker should have dipped his fat fingers in his long pockets to find the money for Windass too.

kunt. When he snuffs it, I won''t be doing the minutes silence...

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Not investing more money when we were in the Premier League was hardly costly in the long run. When these accusations were first made Hull and Reading were the examples used by fans on here to beat the board with. Then the last time I believe Tangie was using Stoke as an example to make this point. Unless it is suggested the board should have invested more than they could afford it seems more than likely that we would have come down sooner or later anyway. If they had invested more than we could afford it seems likely we would have come down and gone into administration sooner or later. [/quote]

The simple fact is that the old board lacked ambition to sign Ashton before the start of the Prem. season and we had the money to sign him as i explained in a post sometime ago.....the cash was there and it wasn''t a case of taking a risk. Instead we preferred to spend money on tangible fixed assets / maintenance. All it needed was delaying some of that spend.

You''ll never budge me on this Nutty especially given what I was told.

We all know what impact Ashton had in his own right but then there was the impact on McKenzie''s goalscoring and our home form in the second half of the season. With Ashton from the start of the season I''m convinced that we would have stayed up.

[/quote]

The thread title was "What has been the worst thing the board has done at this club". The OP then goes on the say "This board or any other board". Delaying the inevitable by signing Ashton earlier doesn''t fit the bill for me. Even if what you believe is true Tangie. Yes, it is possible that the limited finances of Smith & Jones and the football management skills of Nigel Worthington could have succeeded where so many others have failed. But it''s unlikely don''t you think?

Nutty, the board did cock up by not signing Ashton at the start of the season......If the Worthy wanted him though. I suspect that he would have wanted him, there was no way that Worthy would have been happy with the strikeforce at the start of the season, hence him buyin Ashton in Jan.

How could we forget about that. The board need to go back to being nice, we can''t be upsetting clubs and boards. Bad board.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Nutty, the board did cock up by not signing Ashton at the start of the season......If the Worthy wanted him though. I suspect that he would have wanted him, there was no way that Worthy would have been happy with the strikeforce at the start of the season, hence him buyin Ashton in Jan.[/quote]

I''m sure Worthy did want Ashton or Crouch or another Prem class striker at the start of that season. And if they had the chance to buy either of them then I agree the board cocked up. And being as we were only relegated on the last game of the season it''s perfectly reasonable to suggest that had we have bought either of them at the start of that season we would have stayed up. Then, like West Brom, we would have got relegated the next season, or maybe the season after. Because that''s what happens to promoted clubs. But I can''t accept that not spending that extra few quid when we were promoted was the worst thing this board or any other board has ever done.

As I said in my earlier post I believe the mistakes made after relegation were far more costly. I can''t believe that people can honestly believe that one player for a few months would have made so much difference to us and enabled our club to succeed where so many others have failed.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

I prefer to look forward rather than back now. The board has made some shocking mistakes. Delia and Michael are not really up to running a football club. This is shown by them only making one decent appoinment in Nigel Worthington in all the time they have been here. However the appointment of David McNally and a new board is an admission of all those mistakes. I think the guy is the best thing to have happened to this club since we signed Huckerby. For me promotion out of league 1 at the first attempt represents an appropriate apology for many of these mistakes.

[/quote]

I personaly can''t agree with that. Rioch was a good appointment but he probably came to us a bit soon in that he had next to no money as it was directly after the O''Neil resignation, Chase out and then new owners in to and the debts announced. He certainly did very well with a limited squad and was unlucky with injuries to some decent players that he signed like Jean Yves De Blasiis and Ancelin.

Hamilton was a failure full stop. Grant and Roeder actually gained support for turning our seasons around but then struggled when given a full season to do something. By the time Roeder had gone and we paid him off we had no money left and the only option left was Gunn. I think he knew this and to be fair he wasn''t left with much in the way of depth in the squad.

Worthington, Rioch and now Lambert are all good appointments. Hamilton, Grant and Roeder weren''t. Gunn was a knee jerk appointment but at least he signed some decent players. How many of Grant''s and Roeders signings are still at the club? How many are still Worthingtons? Speaks loudly for me.

As for Delia and Michael not being up to running a football club, I would say they have been hit and miss in some ways but again it has to be down to the board not just the majority shareholders. Doncaster et al would have had a large say in what went on and I personaly believe that he was one of the key people behind all the spin. I reckon the policy was smile and shake the fans hand and they will believe all is ok.

As for looking forward. McNally has been great so far. He doesn''t take any crap and is prepared to do what he wants to do rather than pander to other people''s whims. Colchester is a good example, I reckon that he had already spoken to solicitors etc in regards to Lambert before it even happened. McNally will be a key man in regards to this club going forward. He is a motivated and driven man who will go out to try and get the best we can on the budget we have.

I think too many members of the last board had been there for too long and had run out of ideas.
[/quote]

Sorry Chicken I don''t agree with the assessment of Rioch being a good manager. In general his transfer dealings were poor. Anselin was poor player who ended playing non league football in Norfolk (enough said). De Blasis might have been ok but for injury. He was nothing special though. This man also signed the likes of Paul Dalglish who lets face it was only a professional footballer because of who his dad was. We did ok under him because the spine of the team was strong. We had  Andy Marshall in goal,  Matt Jackson in defence and had Craig Bellamy, Darren Eadie and Iwan Roberts in attack. To be honest at the time they were five of the outstanding players in the division. (Don''t like the guy but Marshall was good for us whatever anyone says). Three of them were youth players and the other two signed by Mike Walker. If anyone half decent had been playing alongside these guys we would have got to the playoffs.

As for Doncaster the guy was clown who couldnt organise a raffle let alone a football club. But it was Delia and Michael who continued to employ him and pay him a very lucarative salary. Despite us downgrading our strike force each year from Ashton to Earnshaw to Cureton. He also seemed to miss out on all our transfer targets. David Cotterill and Billy Sharp spring to mind. Although both have done little since and it may have been a blessing to miss out on them it shows he wasnt up to the job.

Rest of it I am in complete agreement about.

Grant

Roeder

Gunn

Will add to that list tomorrow when I''m more awake.

Well Jas it wasn''t much good having a prem team if you had no where for the fans to watch. If it is true that to remain in the prem you need a watching fan base of 35,000 (as the Chairman pointed out at the AGM) one of the worst things that the Board missed out on was not putting a second tier on the City Stand (8,000) and the infill between the Barclay and the Jarrold.(2,000)

Let us hope the new Board get on with this work sooner rather than later.

Bobert, surely you''re not suggesting we should spend even more money on the ground that could be spent on the team?

More Tangible Fixed Assets anyone? [:^)]

I think that the board allowing Glenn Reoder to not renew Darren Huckerby''s contract was one of the worst mistakes!

They could have made the ultimate decision to keep him here but they didn''t.

Well I could probably write an essay on what they have done wrong. I would probably say hiring Bryan Gunn as manager has to be up there but i am increasingly starting to think going down was the kick up the back side the club needed

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Nutty, the board did cock up by not signing Ashton at the start of the season......If the Worthy wanted him though. I suspect that he would have wanted him, there was no way that Worthy would have been happy with the strikeforce at the start of the season, hence him buyin Ashton in Jan.[/quote]

I''m sure Worthy did want Ashton or Crouch or another Prem class striker at the start of that season. And if they had the chance to buy either of them then I agree the board cocked up. And being as we were only relegated on the last game of the season it''s perfectly reasonable to suggest that had we have bought either of them at the start of that season we would have stayed up. Then, like West Brom, we would have got relegated the next season, or maybe the season after. Because that''s what happens to promoted clubs. But I can''t accept that not spending that extra few quid when we were promoted was the worst thing this board or any other board has ever done.

As I said in my earlier post I believe the mistakes made after relegation were far more costly. I can''t believe that people can honestly believe that one player for a few months would have made so much difference to us and enabled our club to succeed where so many others have failed.

[/quote]

Everyone else has failed so we must!

What a statement.

Don''t invent the wheel, don''t sail beyond the horizon, don''t try climbing that mountain.

Some times people or clubs manage to achieve something and with the support and passion of this club it might just have been us. (worth atry)

Ashton would have made a difference, Worthy might have learnt what keeps a team up, DOC would not have been played as a striker.

The lack of ambition coupled with dear old prudence at a most crucial time in the clubs recent history cost us millions and put us on a trip to the third division.

That was the biggest error, not to ride the luck that Worthy brought, for a season or two longer, then when he needed it most remove his ability to put a team together that could have survived and then sit back and watch his train crash.

That''s a blunder of immense proportions and far outways anything else they managed NOT to achieve.

Im a supporter of this board and I think they have finally put us back on the road to recovery with Mcnalley etc joining and the apoinment of Lambert!

Worst things,Not signing Peter Crouch in the promotion season... he then goes on to get 16 goals (I think) for southampton including goals against us and we go down.Not signing Ashton earlier... though that could be worthys fault.Giving in to the Worthy out mob and sacking him before appointing a novice to manage a team that should have been going straight back upSelling Earnshaw and allowing him to be replaced by curreton... that money should never have been allowed to leave the club.Allowing Huckerby to leave... think he might have just kept us up last season.Selling Rob Green and not getting a decent replacement for two seasons.The prudence with ambition moto in general.Appointing Gunn in a similar way to Newcastle appointing Shearer... good will doesnt work.Appart from Holt, Hughes and Askou, letting Gunns sign dead wood... most of which is now being shipped out.Not sacking Doncaster till it was too late.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Lumber themselves with Neil Doncaster?

OTBC

[/quote]

Allowing Doncaster to run the club then allowing Worthington time in the Premiership when it was obvious it was above his capabilities. Lets remember we were winning against Palace twice (once 3- 1) only to draw both games then the total debacle at Fulham. Other games we were in control of we threw away and what did Worthington have to say we have got to enjoy the day.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Mind you your wonderful attempt to maintain your belief that we got to the Premiership by luck alone and in the same post suggest that the same luck could continue so we achieved something that no other club has is worthy of the Friday Joke Thread.

[/quote]

What a statement.

Don''t invent the wheel, don''t sail beyond the horizon, don''t try climbing that mountain.

Some times people or clubs manage to achieve something and with the support and passion of this club it might just have been us. (worth atry)

Ashton would have made a difference, Worthy might have learnt what keeps a team up, DOC would not have been played as a striker.

The lack of ambition coupled with dear old prudence at a most crucial time in the clubs recent history cost us millions and put us on a trip to the third division.

That was the biggest error, not to ride the luck that Worthy brought, for a season or two longer, then when he needed it most remove his ability to put a team together that could have survived and then sit back and watch his train crash.

That''s a blunder of immense proportions and far outways anything else they managed NOT to achieve.

[/quote]

At no point did I ever say that Ashton wouldn''t have made a difference. If you look back three and a half years to when I first posted on this site you will see that I was pretty much a lone voice on here saying that the board continually failed to back Worthy when it mattered.. Worthy himself later said that the board should have learned from that mistake and learn to be proactive rather than reactive. And that''s right. It was reactive to sign a striker in January when we found ourselves in a relegation fight.

The opening post asked what was the worst thing this board or any other board had ever done at this club and I disagree that it was not investing everything available to them on promotion to the premiership. That doesn''t mean I agree with waiting ''til January to sign a decent striker.

I believe that replacing Worthy with Grant and allowing him to downgrade our squad to such a degree that we were only two players away from relegation and Chase paving the way for Martin O''Neill to move to a club who had no right to poach our manager are two things that were much worse.

However you have brightened up my Tuesday morning no end and the way you managed to maintain your belief that any success we had under Worthy was pure luck and yet suggest that the luck could carry on so we achieved things that nobody else could, all in the same post, is worthy of your Friday Joke Thread.

Specsavers Logo Check this out and then read the thread again[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Mind you your wonderful attempt to maintain your belief that we got to the Premiership by luck alone and in the same post suggest that the same luck could continue so we achieved something that no other club has is worthy of the Friday Joke Thread.

[/quote]

What a statement.

[/quote]

At no point did I ever say that Ashton wouldn''t have made a difference. If you look back three and a half years to when I first posted on this site you will see that I was pretty much a lone voice on here saying that the board continually failed to back Worthy when it mattered.. Worthy himself later said that the board should have learned from that mistake and learn to be proactive rather than reactive. And that''s right. It was reactive to sign a striker in January when we found ourselves in a relegation fight.

The opening post asked what was the worst thing this board or any other board had ever done at this club and I disagree that it was not investing everything available to them on promotion to the premiership. That doesn''t mean I agree with waiting ''til January to sign a decent striker.

I believe that replacing Worthy with Grant and allowing him to downgrade our squad to such a degree that we were only two players away from relegation and Chase paving the way for Martin O''Neill to move to a club who had no right to poach our manager are two things that were much worse.

However you have brightened up my Tuesday morning no end and the way you managed to maintain your belief that any success we had under Worthy was pure luck and yet suggest that the luck could carry on so we achieved things that nobody else could, all in the same post, is worthy of your Friday Joke Thread.

Specsavers Logo Check this out and then read the thread again[;)]

[/quote]

That''s saved me saying it.

You obviously have first hand knowledge of what they could do for you!

Worthy was lucky but he also learnt. Neither of which you seem to accept.

OK he was the chosen one and will eventually sit on the right hand of GOD.

Does that make you feel better

I would rather believe that we could have achieved than say no one else did so we can''t. FATALISTIC CRAP

So are you going to give an opinion on Wazzy''s thread about what was the worst thing this or any other board has done at this club[:^)] Or just keep posting to rubbish mine[:|]

So are you going to give an opinion on Wazzy''s thread about what was the worst thing this or any other board has done at this club[:^)] Or just keep posting to rubbish mine[:|]

[/quote]

From my previous post.

Specsavers anyone?[:D]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

From my previous post.

[/quote]

OK.. fair cop Butler. But you are entitled to that opinion the same as I am entitled to mine.

I believe that for clubs with our finances at this time it''s impossible to invest enough to stay in the Premiership more than a couple of seasons. But I also believe it is possible to be like West Brom and continually be there or there abouts. What a club with our finances should never do is plummet to the bottom of the Championship. This is why I posted that I believed the worst to things this board or any other board has done at this club was appointment of Peter Grant and the departure of Martin O''Neill. In both cases I believe these two things caused us to plummet to the bottom of the Championship. Why am I not allowed that opinion?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

From my previous post.

[/quote]

OK.. fair cop Butler. But you are entitled to that opinion the same as I am entitled to mine.

I believe that for clubs with our finances at this time it''s impossible to invest enough to stay in the Premiership more than a couple of seasons. But I also believe it is possible to be like West Brom and continually be there or there abouts. What a club with our finances should never do is plummet to the bottom of the Championship. This is why I posted that I believed the worst to things this board or any other board has done at this club was appointment of Peter Grant and the departure of Martin O''Neill. In both cases I believe these two things caused us to plummet to the bottom of the Championship. Why am I not allowed that opinion?

[/quote]

You are by all means my old friend and in part I agree.

It was the implied "no one survives so we can''t" implication that I objected to. If not man would have stayed in the trees.

Nice to see you back and I hope restored fully to your usual argumentative self![;)]

Indeed I did imply that "no one survives so we can''t". And without investment far beyond that which the current owners are capable of I believe it. However that is no excuse not to try because if you aim to stand still then teams will continually pass you because they are moving forward. This is what happened to us last year. So this is why, whilst I agree that we could have invested a few quid more to try to maintain our Premiership status we would never have had the finances to actually do it. There can be excuses made for the mistakes the board made in the premiership but surely there''s no excuses for the mistakes they made with managers and policy''s since we were relegated. Just as there was no excuse for what happened between Chase and Martin O''Neill.

Indeed I did imply that "no one survives so we can''t". And without investment far beyond that which the current owners are capable of I believe it. However that is no excuse not to try because if you aim to stand still then teams will continually pass you because they are moving forward. This is what happened to us last year. So this is why, whilst I agree that we could have invested a few quid more to try to maintain our Premiership status we would never have had the finances to actually do it. There can be excuses made for the mistakes the board made in the premiership but surely there''s no excuses for the mistakes they made with managers and policy''s since we were relegated. Just as there was no excuse for what happened between Chase and Martin O''Neill.

[/quote]

Conveniently forgetting as usual that it was Robert Chase who headhunted and appointed O''Neil in the first place.

O''Neil was at least equally to blame for the fiasco of the breakup.

But what is it they say about the ladies - two queens can''t rule........ No aspersions cast on the two manly gentlemen at all - just the best parallel that comes to my mind at the moment![:$]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Conveniently forgetting as usual that it was Robert Chase who headhunted and appointed O''Neil in the first place.

O''Neil was at least equally to blame for the fiasco of the breakup.

But what is it they say about the ladies - two queens can''t rule........ No aspersions cast on the two manly gentlemen at all - just the best parallel that comes to my mind at the moment![:$]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well yes it was Chase who headhunted Martin O''Neill in the first place but what is the relevance of that? I could just as easily point out to you that we got to the Premiership with Neil Doncaster calling the shots. And if I did it would be just as relevant.

But what is it they say about the cuckoo''s nest - two lunatics can''t take over the asylum..... No asperations cast from me here - just the best paraellel that entered my head reading your post! [:S]

But still. One all.

Worthington was also hugely culpable in the mess created on promotion and then relegation by twice destroying the fabric of the team. The first time round we were clearly short of one striker (remedied too late with Ashton) and one central defender (the Doc against the best strikers in the world, scary). He had shipped out Roberts and Mckay who were both talsimans and contributed almost as much as Huckerby to the spirit which got them up. Now probably neither would have been enough on their own, but we clearly needed good solid replacements for them.

Was that a Board culpability or a Worthy one? He made the decisions on playing staff and all we know is that he did have some funds available as he brought in Jonson and Helveg who both failed and probably others I can''t remember. then Worthy removed many of them upon relegation and it was a downward spiral.

Ultimately the Board cannot magic money into the club and I do think they were overly cautious after promotion, but again if Worthy hadn''t spent money on the two scandinavians maybe we could have had Ashton + a defender earlier........

The Grant appointment mystified me (although not as much as Gunn as much of the damage was done by then) but with a judicious appointment at that time we could have stabilised and pushed back up the Champ. Grant was clearly out of his depth and the Board got lucky that he himself recognised it. Many of his signings were poor and he didn''t have the experience or network to turn things around. So my vote goes to the Grant appointment.

As for Doncaster. I was a lone voice on here at times in the rush to criticise Delia by arguing that he more than anyone else should be held accountable for the underperformance in the last few years. He was the CEO, not Delia, and his actions would have had far more direct impact than hers.