Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

What has been the worst thing the board has done at this club

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Indeed I did imply that "no one survives so we can''t". And without investment far beyond that which the current owners are capable of I believe it. However that is no excuse not to try because if you aim to stand still then teams will continually pass you because they are moving forward. This is what happened to us last year. So this is why, whilst I agree that we could have invested a few quid more to try to maintain our Premiership status we would never have had the finances to actually do it. There can be excuses made for the mistakes the board made in the premiership but surely there''s no excuses for the mistakes they made with managers and policy''s since we were relegated. Just as there was no excuse for what happened between Chase and Martin O''Neill.

[/quote]

Conveniently forgetting as usual that it was Robert Chase who headhunted and appointed O''Neil in the first place.

O''Neil was at least equally to blame for the fiasco of the breakup.

But what is it they say about the ladies - two queens can''t rule........ No aspersions cast on the two manly gentlemen at all - just the best parallel that comes to my mind at the moment![:$]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well yes it was Chase who headhunted Martin O''Neill in the first place but what is the relevance of that? I could just as easily point out to you that we got to the Premiership with Neil Doncaster calling the shots. And if I did it would be just as relevant.

But what is it they say about the cuckoo''s nest - two lunatics can''t take over the asylum..... No asperations cast from me here - just the best paraellel that entered my head reading your post! [:S]

But still. One all.

[/quote]

Doncaster had little to do with Worthy''s appointment. Worthy went to the board himself and demanded the job as I recall. However, Neil was intricately involved with the appointment of Grant, Roeder and Gunn.

I can''t help you with your tunnel vision over thr Chase/O''Neil saga however - except of course to point out the obvious in that O''Neil was a brilliant appointment just like Stringer and Walker.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Not investing more money when we were in the Premier League was hardly costly in the long run. When these accusations were first made Hull and Reading were the examples used by fans on here to beat the board with. Then the last time I believe Tangie was using Stoke as an example to make this point. Unless it is suggested the board should have invested more than they could afford it seems more than likely that we would have come down sooner or later anyway. If they had invested more than we could afford it seems likely we would have come down and gone into administration sooner or later. We just have to recognise the Premier League for what it is which is not that old top division where we had so much success in the 80''s and early 90''s.

This board certainly made more costly mistakes in replacing Worthy. Grant was probably the most costly but was supported at the time as a good appointment by some of their fiercest critics. With hindsight Roeder should never have been given a second season and that ridiculous loan policy made a huge contribution to our relegation to the third tier. Gunn''s appointment this season was the most ridiculous of them all but ultimately the least costly.

I do wonder if the most costly mistakes were taking bad advice from people on managerial appointments and policy. And how influential were the much heralded Turners who were supposedly sorting out our finances, a job that McNally and Bowkett seem to have had to do again?

Wazzy said this board or any other board so how costly are the mistakes listed here compared to the fiasco that was Chase/O''Neill/Windass?

I reckon it''s about time to look forwards again.

[/quote]

Nutty I''d argue that not investing in that summer was a cause for the future appointment of Grant, or appointing Grant was an effect. Either way, it was bad appointment (I maintain that Roeder was an equally bad, if not worse appointment). And for number of reasons we find ourselves in league 1. I think a lot of the blame can be laid at Doncasters feet, and that is something I have maintained for some time.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Not investing more money when we were in the Premier League was hardly costly in the long run. When these accusations were first made Hull and Reading were the examples used by fans on here to beat the board with. Then the last time I believe Tangie was using Stoke as an example to make this point. Unless it is suggested the board should have invested more than they could afford it seems more than likely that we would have come down sooner or later anyway. If they had invested more than we could afford it seems likely we would have come down and gone into administration sooner or later. We just have to recognise the Premier League for what it is which is not that old top division where we had so much success in the 80''s and early 90''s.

This board certainly made more costly mistakes in replacing Worthy. Grant was probably the most costly but was supported at the time as a good appointment by some of their fiercest critics. With hindsight Roeder should never have been given a second season and that ridiculous loan policy made a huge contribution to our relegation to the third tier. Gunn''s appointment this season was the most ridiculous of them all but ultimately the least costly.

I do wonder if the most costly mistakes were taking bad advice from people on managerial appointments and policy. And how influential were the much heralded Turners who were supposedly sorting out our finances, a job that McNally and Bowkett seem to have had to do again?

Wazzy said this board or any other board so how costly are the mistakes listed here compared to the fiasco that was Chase/O''Neill/Windass?

I reckon it''s about time to look forwards again.

[/quote]

Nutty I''d argue that not investing in that summer was a cause for the future appointment of Grant, or appointing Grant was an effect. Either way, it was bad appointment (I maintain that Roeder was an equally bad, if not worse appointment). And for number of reasons we find ourselves in league 1. I think a lot of the blame can be laid at Doncasters feet, and that is something I have maintained for some time.

[/quote]

Yes that could be argued Fellas but I don''t believe it. A lot of you believe that the board didn''t invest everything they could have done that summer. And I agree to a point but I don''t believe they could have spent enough more to have made much of a difference.

So it''s cards on the table time! How much do you think they could have invested and where would it have come from?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Indeed I did imply that "no one survives so we can''t". And without investment far beyond that which the current owners are capable of I believe it. However that is no excuse not to try because if you aim to stand still then teams will continually pass you because they are moving forward. This is what happened to us last year. So this is why, whilst I agree that we could have invested a few quid more to try to maintain our Premiership status we would never have had the finances to actually do it. There can be excuses made for the mistakes the board made in the premiership but surely there''s no excuses for the mistakes they made with managers and policy''s since we were relegated. Just as there was no excuse for what happened between Chase and Martin O''Neill.

[/quote]

Conveniently forgetting as usual that it was Robert Chase who headhunted and appointed O''Neil in the first place.

O''Neil was at least equally to blame for the fiasco of the breakup.

But what is it they say about the ladies - two queens can''t rule........ No aspersions cast on the two manly gentlemen at all - just the best parallel that comes to my mind at the moment![:$]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well yes it was Chase who headhunted Martin O''Neill in the first place but what is the relevance of that? I could just as easily point out to you that we got to the Premiership with Neil Doncaster calling the shots. And if I did it would be just as relevant.

But what is it they say about the cuckoo''s nest - two lunatics can''t take over the asylum..... No asperations cast from me here - just the best paraellel that entered my head reading your post! [:S]

But still. One all.

[/quote]

Doncaster had little to do with Worthy''s appointment. Worthy went to the board himself and demanded the job as I recall. However, Neil was intricately involved with the appointment of Grant, Roeder and Gunn.

I can''t help you with your tunnel vision over thr Chase/O''Neil saga however - except of course to point out the obvious in that O''Neil was a brilliant appointment just like Stringer and Walker.

OTBC

[/quote]

Another old boy who doesn''t think I''m entitled to an opinion. But my opinion remains that the two worst things this board or any other board did in my time as a fan was the appointment of Grant and subsequent devaluing of our squad and allowing Martin O''Neill to walk away to a club inferior to us in every way.

Now I suggest it''s you that has tunnel vision if you can''t see what happened with O''Neill. Losing a good manager to a bigger club is the price you sometimes pay for having a good manager. Bond to Manchester City springs to mind. But losing O''Neill leaving to Leicester the way Chase did is like losing Lambert tomorrow to a club like Swindon.

By the time The Butler gets to his computer in the morning this thread will be another five pages longer with half the posts from Mr."Everbody is entitled to an opinion as long as it agrees with mine".

Before you ask Nutty i am not going to contribute as one post leads to fifty responses from you.Anyway i am too busy studying form for my punk un picks next week.

What is it with the over sixties on this site that they feel it''s more important to rubbish my opinion than to have one of their own?

What is it with the over sixties on this site that they feel it''s more important to rubbish my opinion than to have one of their own?

[/quote]

And as sure as night follows day,ten minutes the response appears.Nutty, nobody is rubbishing your opinion but you just cannot let anybody post theirs without it being taken apart word by word by your good self and if they dare to disagree with your response back you come again and again and again.As you can imagine i have views about what decisions by the Board have led to our demise but if i were to post them could you not just leave it at that?.... no thought not.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

And as sure as night follows day,ten minutes the response appears.Nutty, nobody is rubbishing your opinion but you just cannot let anybody post theirs without it being taken apart word by word by your good self and if they dare to disagree with your response back you come again and again and again.As you can imagine i have views about what decisions by the Board have led to our demise but if i were to post them could you not just leave it at that?.... no thought not.

[/quote]

Well if you read the thread old boy you will see that I did post my opinion and leave it at that. But one by one posters came on and rubbished it. Wazzy, Tangie, Canaryinbed, Butler, Babes, Fellas and now you. All commenting on my opinion and all except you quoting my posts. I did notice that those younger than me were far more agreeable and easy to get along with. While you and the rest of your over sixties club were quite condescending in your replies[:O]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well if you read the thread old boy you will see that I did post my opinion and leave it at that. But one by one posters came on and rubbished it. Wazzy, Tangie, Canaryinbed, Butler, Babes, Fellas and now you. All commenting on my opinion and all except you quoting my posts. I did notice that those younger than me were far more agreeable and easy to get along with. While you and the rest of your over sixties club were quite condescending in your replies[:O]

[/quote]

You could almost call it a "witch hunt" as i know you like to broad brush a gathering of like minded people Nutty.Funny how such a diverse selection of posters disagree with you don''t you think?

Anyway can i book my 60th at your place Nutty? Plenty of time as it is still over 18 months away.

Of course you can Tilly. And don''t worry, your secret is safe with me. The wife tells everyone she''s 21 every year and I never spill the beans on her either[;)]

Leicester a smaller club?

I seem to remember them as a first division outfit with international players.Larger City etc.

If you are going to argue over O''Neil at least stick to the facts.

By the way US OVER 60''s are not so intimidated by your I am always right attitude hence we tend to remain faithfull to our beliefs.

I agreed with some of your points but that is never good enough for you is it.

Nutty of the "Lets have a sly dig further down the thread and hope everyone thinks how funny I am!!" posts.

Well we have different memories then Butler. Because I seem to remember that they had spent eight of the previous  nine seasons in the second division while we had spent all nine in the first. Or do you have different facts?

You''d be better sticking to the facts than making stuff up to try and appear right all the time[:O]

Well we have different memories then Butler. Because I seem to remember that they had spent eight of the previous  nine seasons in the second division while we had spent all nine in the first. Or do you have different facts?

You''d be better sticking to the facts than making stuff up to try and appear right all the time[:O]

[/quote]

Here we go.See what i mean?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No. Explain...

Actually Crewe refused to sell Ashton until January. Remember?

Worthington had the same money as Grant, he chose targets that strangely became '' not available'' at the end of the window and had no plan B...... unless you consider Doc a Plan B. Remember?

Grant was widely acclaimed as a great acquisition by those in the sport and the press, the next Coppell. Remember?

Roeder, from a difficult position saved us. remember?

He then announced a three year plan and was fired 15 months into it, shortly after Clarkey jumped ship and left him with no coach, Remember?

Crouch was the one who scuppered any deal which meant our negotiations were ended. he declared he wanted to fight for his place at Villa after his loan spell with us.. His father (also his agent)then persuaded him to join Southampton. remember?

I agree Gunn was a stupid decision.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

No. Explain...

[/quote]

Nutty + The Butler= 20 pages and 300 ish posts.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No. Explain...

[/quote]

[/quote]

When I started this thread I thought now is the time to ask a question like this, not when we are struggling and the rabid mob want blood. Ask a question like this when times are good and you might just get a reasoned response. It was not an attempt to bash the board - as we are doing so well right now that would be pointless.

I managed to answer my own question in one line and several others did the same. We all have differing opinions on this one and no one is right or wrong - it''s just our opinions. I honestly fail to see why people are trying to slug it out over soemthing like this.

One line to answer my question, see what others have to say and that''s it .

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No. Explain...

[/quote]

[/quote]

When I started this thread I thought now is the time to ask a question like this, not when we are struggling and the rabid mob want blood. Ask a question like this when times are good and you might just get a reasoned response. It was not an attempt to bash the board - as we are doing so well right now that would be pointless.

I managed to answer my own question in one line and several others did the same. We all have differing opinions on this one and no one is right or wrong - it''s just our opinions. I honestly fail to see why people are trying to slug it out over soemthing like this.

[/quote]

Indeed Wazzy my friend. But it isn''t my way to answer with just one line and to be fair I don''t think one line would have done the question justice. But I did just state my opinion in reply to your opening post and you were the first poster to find fault with it and encourage me to justify it.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

I managed to answer my own question in one line and several others did the same. We all have differing opinions on this one and no one is right or wrong - it''s just our opinions. I honestly fail to see why people are trying to slug it out over soemthing like this. You are a seasoned poster, the naivity is unexplainable 

One line to answer my question, see what others have to say and that''s it . I think this is the third time in under a week the originator of a thread has had to explain the rules of what you are allowed to reply. A bit of a worrying trend, must be the result of us all suffering years of political dictatorship and it rubbing off on unsuspecting posters.

[/quote]

[/quote]

How far do you want to go back?

Google gives a very accurate picture of their achievments (I am sure Smudger could do even better).

O''Neil made them a good club again and I am sure he would have done a good job for us.

Did Leicester have more money, bigger ground, bigger gates (then). O''neil upped sticks to them for a reason, that reason equates to being a very ambitious man.

History of Charity shield winners, top ten finishes. All in the past as now Chase, O''neil and and the rest are.

My memories of them start with David Nish, F. Worthington . Gary Linaker etc, a perception of a bigger club. 

PS. I don''t suppose for one minute that Tilly is stirring the pot do you!![;)]

I think the biggest mistakes are in the appoinments of managers- Grant Gunn and Roeder. Looking back it seems Grant was given a fair wedge of transfer budget to spend as was Roeder on his ridiculous loan policy and obbsession with ''inbetween'' players. Delia and Co were not the right people to be making football decisions and now we have people who seem capeable of doing it.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

Look to the top of the page ^^^^^ , there is a clue up there (hint: Main Discussion)

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

Look to the top of the page ^^^^^ , there is a clue up there (hint: Main Discussion)

[/quote]

Curious and curiouser.

What would you know about discussion, Furioso?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

No. Explain...

[/quote]

.........., please.

OTBC