Sign in to follow this  
NCFC_Thain

Dean Ashton

Deano is on Goals on Sunday now:

"The favourite time of my carrer was my year at Norwich"

Always nice to hear things like that from ex-players

Pity you didnt stay then Dean, rather than walking around with a face like a smacked bottom for the last couple of months.

I would have done exactly the same

he was on for over 20 goals that season... he almost kept us up in the prem. no one else at the club had the impact he did in our prem season

green knew he could still get a move... I am adamant he was given assurances when the new contract was signed

and kathy if you remeber who we signed, you would be disgusted too... thorne, robinson, hughes and jason jarrett... how the hell we thoguht they were capable of taking us up I do not know

dean ashton would have been a star if we had stayed up... he was the best forward we have had for a number of years and rightly moved on

furious that he got booed on that preseason... the board, worthy and the team of that first season made fundamental errors in our season to return to the prem. they did not build a squad around hux and ashton

I am not saying I agree with it but he was boo''ed because he looked so smug when he managed to engineer a move away, Pardew had clearly tap''d him up. Beller''s was there that day and received a great reception!He was a great player and it is a real shame his career has ended this way, he had bigger clubs than West Ham in his future, the consistent Berbatov.

To be fair we did replace him well with Earnie!

Dean Ashton was clearly too good for the championship at that time.

[quote user="smooth"]I would have done exactly the same he was on for over 20 goals that season... he almost kept us up in the prem. no one else at the club had the impact he did in our prem season green knew he could still get a move... I am adamant he was given assurances when the new contract was signed and kathy if you remeber who we signed, you would be disgusted too... thorne, robinson, hughes and jason jarrett... how the hell we thoguht they were capable of taking us up I do not know dean ashton would have been a star if we had stayed up... he was the best forward we have had for a number of years and rightly moved on furious that he got booed on that preseason... the board, worthy and the team of that first season made fundamental errors in our season to return to the prem. they did not build a squad around hux and ashton[/quote]

I agree with you about the side issues that were going on at the time smooth. But he never made any attempt to hide the fact he wanted away. It seems a little odd that he is now claiming to look back on his time here with fondness.

Let''s not be too hard on him - we knew he was too good for the Championship, he''d had a taste of Premier League football with us, knew he could handle the jump in quality.

In hindsight, he was right to jump ship - we never regained promotion, things went from bad to worse. From his point of view, he went on to play for his country and without his injuries would have played more often for England.

I am sure that we''d probably all consider doing what is best for ourselves and our families. As with 98% of footballers, his personal desires come before the club he is currently working for (and that is all it for players; a contract, not a lifestyle) and that very same career has been cut short now, with him trying to rebuild some sort of quality of life after having had his ankle fused together.

I feel nothing but sorrow for a player who in his own words "loved to shoot" but now are confronted with the fact he''ll never run again.

As for him looking back on his time at Carrow Road with fondness, I am sure he did really appreciate his time here - we "gave" him the platform to show the top tier what he can do, he was very well appreciated during his time here and perhaps maybe, just maybe, he now regrets the way in which he left us. I think it might be "making peace".

Good luck Dean and hope you, the family and the new bambino on its way have all the happiness in the world!

[quote user="Canary Jay"]Let''s not be too hard on him - we knew he was too good for the Championship, he''d had a taste of Premier League football with us, knew he could handle the jump in quality.

In hindsight, he was right to jump ship - we never regained promotion, things went from bad to worse. From his point of view, he went on to play for his country and without his injuries would have played more often for England.

I am sure that we''d probably all consider doing what is best for ourselves and our families. As with 98% of footballers, his personal desires come before the club he is currently working for (and that is all it for players; a contract, not a lifestyle) and that very same career has been cut short now, with him trying to rebuild some sort of quality of life after having had his ankle fused together.

I feel nothing but sorrow for a player who in his own words "loved to shoot" but now are confronted with the fact he''ll never run again.

As for him looking back on his time at Carrow Road with fondness, I am sure he did really appreciate his time here - we "gave" him the platform to show the top tier what he can do, he was very well appreciated during his time here and perhaps maybe, just maybe, he now regrets the way in which he left us. I think it might be "making peace".

Good luck Dean and hope you, the family and the new bambino on its way have all the happiness in the world![/quote]Yeah but if he never left us, he''d never have played for England (at the time) and probably still be playing now.

I always think the people who rant at Deano are totally daft.

If he had risen through the NCFC youth program and been with NCFC for years then maybe you could understand their rants.

But he is a Crewe protege and came to us because we were a Premiership team offering him good money and a chance to play in the Prem.

We got relegated and there was clearly interest from other Prem teams but he signed a contract extension even though it was obvious he had 1 foot out the door (secured us a much better transfer deal).

He left and we more or less doubled our money on him and got Earnie in who could do just as much of a good job at Champ level.

I don''t understand where the hate comes in..?

[quote user="Kathy"]

I agree with you about the side issues that were going on at the time smooth. But he never made any attempt to hide the fact he wanted away. It seems a little odd that he is now claiming to look back on his time here with fondness.

[/quote]So you''d rather he was dishonest and said "i''m definitely here til, the end of the season'' time and again before leaving. That would have been the only way to hide the fact he wanted away, and would have left a far more bitter taste in his mouth.He had to leave, he was on a ship to nowhere, and had the chance to further his career in the top flight and for England - only bad luck has prevented that but he couldn''t see into the future and I''m sure he expected that his career would improve. It didn''t, it got worse, thus his best times were at Norwich.

Lest I''m mistaken, the bit that pissed Kathy off about Ashton''s career here is the same bit that pissed me off… ''the face like a slapped arse''???I don''t begrudge any player the move if they are worth it (which he was), but I do begrudge them acting like spoilt brats and throwing their toys out of the pram when they don''t get their way.If you can honestly put your hand on your heart and say that Dean Ashton gave 100% in his last few games here with us then I will bow to your point of view. If you can''t, then at least accept that the spoilt behaviour of young men that are massively overpaid and have little, if any, grasp of reality really cheeses some of us of and that to hear him prattling on about how "he loved his time at Norwich", smacks as shallow and ever so slightly insincere.I couldn''t give a flying toss what Dean Ashton thinks of us, he wasn''t here long enough to be worth worrying about.

At the end of the day, it''s down to how and when you saw him. I never saw him in his final games when i can imagine his heart wasn''t in it. I think he was awesome myself, but then the last time i saw him was that home game v Southampton.

He scored a hat-trick and we absolutely murdered them. They had that finnish fella in goal who went on to Fulham (forgotten his name) and he kept the score right down. Could have been 6 easy. They had Dave Bassett in temporary charge at the time and he held his hands up and said they just couldn''t live with us on that performance.

That was the Norwich everyone was expecting to see in our first season down from the prem, and send us straight back. I don''t think we ever played like that again :(

Hmm.........moving to the area and comes with the statement "The favourite time of my career was my year at Norwich".

Great player, nearly kept us up and we made a very tidy profit on him. Can''t really ask any more from a bloke who had no ties to the area at the time can you?

Dean Ashton was the best centre forward we have had since Chris Sutton, both delivered the goods at the top level. Ashton would have been an England regular had it not been for injury. If we had survived in the premiership then he would have stayed for a few seasons. It was right for him and the club for him to leave when he did. We are in a pickle now what would we have done withought his £7m and his career is over and he managed a few seasons at least on premiership wages

In response to andy larkins post I have to say he was gonig to score 20 goals that season with no help apart from hux

I have no problem that he got disillusioned with us before he left we were paying jason jarrett, carl robinson, peter thorne and fecking andy hughes big wages too to get us up

I have no problem at all with ashton leaving as our other better players left when we came down and we replaced them with crap who got paid a fortune

course he loved his time here, we were under no pressure when he arrived, we played attractive football, we beat manchester united and newcastle mainly thro him... great memories

he is very welcome back here just wish our board, management team and players were up to the task then when we only had greeno, hux and ashton who warranted going up back to the prem.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Lest I''m mistaken, the bit that pissed Kathy off about Ashton''s career here is the same bit that pissed me off… ''the face like a slapped arse''???

I don''t begrudge any player the move if they are worth it (which he was), but I do begrudge them acting like spoilt brats and throwing their toys out of the pram when they don''t get their way.

If you can honestly put your hand on your heart and say that Dean Ashton gave 100% in his last few games here with us then I will bow to your point of view.

If you can''t, then at least accept that the spoilt behaviour of young men that are massively overpaid and have little, if any, grasp of reality really cheeses some of us of and that to hear him prattling on about how "he loved his time at Norwich", smacks as shallow and ever so slightly insincere.

I couldn''t give a flying toss what Dean Ashton thinks of us, he wasn''t here long enough to be worth worrying about.
[/quote]

I think you''re being rather sour and over the top.

Nobody''s perfect.

As far as I am concerned Dean Ashton will always be welcome in Norwich and Norfolk.

We should just be wishing him well in getting his life together after such a tragic and early end to his career.

OTBC

OTBC

Norwich 2 Manchester United 0 in 2004/05 season, without Dean Ashton, we would never get this game''s result on our histroy.

No matter how greedy he was, he want to jump ship or any other things, he was still our record signing and he was Premiership quality. I liked him as a Norwich player.

Nope, not sour at all… he is just a footballer. None of them are really worthy of hero worship are they in all honesty?He put his parts on when he couldn''t get his own way. Had I done that in my job I would have got the boot if it had continued as it did with ''Our Deano''… Nope, nobody is perfect, but if he wanted to be seen as a decent

professional then he would have worked his guts out for my team until somebody

plucked him from the ''hole'' he found himself in. I lost any respect I had for him at that point… he became yet another pampered cry baby that is the professional footballer these days.He never saw fit to mention us before… he got a frosty reception from many on his last appearance here… he is now moving back to the area… he suddenly remembers loving his time here!!Sour? No!Synical? Yes, extremely! [:^)]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Nope, not sour at all… he is just a footballer. None of them are really worthy of hero worship are they in all honesty?

He put his parts on when he couldn''t get his own way. Had I done that in my job I would have got the boot if it had continued as it did with ''Our Deano''…

Nope, nobody is perfect, but if he wanted to be seen as a decent professional then he would have worked his guts out for my team until somebody plucked him from the ''hole'' he found himself in. I lost any respect I had for him at that point… he became yet another pampered cry baby that is the professional footballer these days.

He never saw fit to mention us before***… he got a frosty reception from many on his last appearance here… he is now moving back to the area… he suddenly remembers loving his time here!!

Sour? No!

Synical? Yes, extremely! [:^)]
[/quote]

*** As far as you know!

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Nope, not sour at all… he is just a footballer. None of them are really worthy of hero worship are they in all honesty?He put his parts on when he couldn''t get his own way. Had I done that in my job I would have got the boot if it had continued as it did with ''Our Deano''… Nope, nobody is perfect, but if he wanted to be seen as a decent professional then he would have worked his guts out for my team until somebody plucked him from the ''hole'' he found himself in. I lost any respect I had for him at that point… he became yet another pampered cry baby that is the professional footballer these days.He never saw fit to mention us before***… he got a frosty reception from many on his last appearance here… he is now moving back to the area… he suddenly remembers loving his time here!!Sour? No!Synical? Yes, extremely! [:^)][/quote]

*** As far as you know!

OTBC

[/quote]

Oh do shut up, Bly, I''m certain most here have accepted Andy''s rationale concerning this subject and rightly so - it certainly isn''t worth contesting.You''re like a little kid who has to have the last word.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]Great player, nearly kept us up and we made a very tidy profit on him. Can''t really ask any more from a bloke who had no ties to the area at the time can you?[/quote]

Precisely. Add in the fact that he was so very injury prone for a striker and we got over £7m for him. Talent wise he was the best - fitness wise, he never really had a chance of being a world class athlete. But I''ll never forget the winner against Newcastle.......

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Nope, not sour at all… he is just a footballer. None of them are really worthy of hero worship are they in all honesty?

He put his parts on when he couldn''t get his own way. Had I done that in my job I would have got the boot if it had continued as it did with ''Our Deano''…

Nope, nobody is perfect, but if he wanted to be seen as a decent professional then he would have worked his guts out for my team until somebody plucked him from the ''hole'' he found himself in. I lost any respect I had for him at that point… he became yet another pampered cry baby that is the professional footballer these days.

He never saw fit to mention us before***… he got a frosty reception from many on his last appearance here… he is now moving back to the area… he suddenly remembers loving his time here!!

Sour? No!

Synical? Yes, extremely! [:^)]
[/quote]

*** As far as you know!

OTBC

[/quote]

Oh do shut up, Bly, I''m certain most here have accepted Andy''s rationale concerning this subject and rightly so - it certainly isn''t worth contesting.

You''re like a little kid who has to have the last word.
[/quote]

Now he''s sour and you''re irritable - as well as claiming to represent ''most here'' with no basis.

And just because I have a different opinion about Ashton?

Dear oh dear. Whatever next.

But still. One love.

[:''(][:P][:''(]

OTBC

[quote user="Shyster"]Oh do shut up, Bly, I''m certain most here have accepted Andy''s rationale concerning this subject and rightly so - it certainly isn''t worth contesting.You''re like a little kid who has to have the last word.[/quote]''Kin ''ell… cheers Shyst… maybe I''m just getting old and crotchety eh?

[quote user="XXL16"]

Norwich 2 Manchester United 0 in 2004/05 season, without Dean Ashton, we would never get this game''s result on our histroy.[/quote]

I can remember us beating them many, many times… a sad reflection of how badly unbalanced football has become is that we now class that as a major point of reference.

Anyhoo, I''m sure Safri, Huckerby and McKenzie might feel a tad pissed off that they didn''t warrant a mention in the victory.

Hohum

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]*** As far as you know! [/quote]

Maybe you would care to show me where he has Bly?

[:|]

[/quote]

''kin ''ell.

I don''t know if he has or not - and neither do you.

[:|][:|]

Peace.

OTBC

The club certainly were engineering to sell him during that Transfer Window. Comments such as we don''t want to sell our star asset one day become everyone has a price the next. We even didn''t play him in the Cup so he wasn''t cuptied, ironically against West Ham