Sign in to follow this  
Bexley

Carl Corts comments are quite interesting

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]The simple truth is that he didn''t get the time, with his own choice of players, to prove either way what sort of manager he would have been.[/quote]Manager A presided over a relegation with inherited players, he then lost disastrously to a league 1 side with a team that was mainly his own.  Manager B then went on a winning spree, largely with the players he inherited from Manager A.  Which is the better manager ?Had Gunn kept his job post-Colchester, where would we be ?  I''m guessing at mid-table at best.  Better to nip that in the bud rather than give an unproven novice a chance to drive the club into League 1 obscurity.  Norwich didn''t have the luxury of time to give to Gunn - we have already made that mistake once with Grant - and at least he was a coach, not head of player recruitment, whatever that means.Also, what did McNally see that we didn''t ?  He knows what a squad should look like when training, he gets involved in the purchase of players.  He''s a proper footballing CEO, and about time we had one - wouldn''t you say, Bob ?[/quote]So true......a decent manager by way of organisation or motivation is often seen to squeeze out a few extra points than a poor manager even with the same group of players. The big mistake was giving Gunn the job permanently before we saw whether he could keep us up. I believe that if it was Lambert we would have stayed up. Remember the team looked like they had cracked it then it all slipped horribly away and then could only have been down to Gunn''s weaknesses. He is not a bad picker of a player but clearly lacks the ability to organise a team.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]Bob Franklin you obviously never, when you were younger, watched Mr Benn.[/quote]Now, are we talking about Nigel or Tony here Buttles? [:^)][/quote]

Should have suited you nicely Sir.

It was a 10 min per episode, childrens series run about 30years ago on BBC, when my boys were small.

He would go into the shop, dress up in different clothes, magically visit places and make things better. Then the shopkeeper would appear," as if by magic" and end that riveting episode.

The complete opposite of BG, who came to Carrow road, changed into a  suite,magically made things worse and McNally finished the episode!!

You learn something new on here every day don''t you Lapp?

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]Bob Franklin you obviously never, when you were younger, watched Mr Benn.[/quote]Now, are we talking about Nigel or Tony here Buttles? [:^)][/quote]

It was a 10 min per episode, childrens series run about 30years ago on BBC, when my boys were small.

He would go into the shop, dress up in different clothes, magically visit places and make things better. Then the shopkeeper would appear," as if by magic" and end that riveting episode.

The complete opposite of BG, who came to Carrow road, changed into a  suite,magically made things worse and McNally finished the episode!!

[/quote]

Was it a three piece? In fairness he appeared to have the motivational ability of an armchair[:D]

Butler...

At least Gunny wasn''t a shoplifter like Mr Benn.

He always ended up with a "souvenir" at the end of the episode.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Was it a three piece? In fairness he appeared to have the motivational ability of an armchair[:D]

[/quote]It was of course a hospitality suite.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]It was of course a hospitality suite.[/quote]:-)...by the look of him on TV on Monday night.......................a hospital suite.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Buckethead"] It was of course a hospitality suite.
[/quote]

[:D][Y]

[/quote]

Hung by the magic "e".[:$]

Now that''s another BBC childrens prog.

Watch with Butler does not have the same ring to it!!

[quote user="KCanary"]

[quote user="Beauseant"]Cort always came across well in interviews and didn''t correspond to the "thick footballer" stereotype.He''s clearly being diplomatic, but it''s interesting to read between the lines.[/quote]

Hmmm, that also doesn''t sound like a man who shops at Asda! [:P]

[/quote]What are you talking about?!!!I can tell for you certain that our own Grant Holt shops at ASDA as I saw him in there with my own two eyes (rather than the ones I borrow once a week to see long distances) last week.I didn''t think he was too ''thick'' either. I think rather than it being a straitforward choice, it all depends on where you live and what is convenient. I saw Huckerby in Waitrose once whilst helping my mum with the Christmas shop - but I believe that he lives or lived closer to there anyway. I don''t think it has much to do with intelligence - at least I hope not . . . . I rather thought Holt was quite intelligent . . . . .

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="KCanary"]

[quote user="Beauseant"]Cort always came across well in interviews and didn''t correspond to the "thick footballer" stereotype.He''s clearly being diplomatic, but it''s interesting to read between the lines.[/quote]

Hmmm, that also doesn''t sound like a man who shops at Asda! [:P]

[/quote]

What are you talking about?!!!

I can tell for you certain that our own Grant Holt shops at ASDA as I saw him in there with my own two eyes (rather than the ones I borrow once a week to see long distances) last week.

I didn''t think he was too ''thick'' either. I think rather than it being a straitforward choice, it all depends on where you live and what is convenient. I saw Huckerby in Waitrose once whilst helping my mum with the Christmas shop - but I believe that he lives or lived closer to there anyway. I don''t think it has much to do with intelligence - at least I hope not . . . . I rather thought Holt was quite intelligent . . . . .
[/quote]

Blimey, cheer up!!! Bad day? I am sure it was meant in good humour Chicken

hes trying to act like that croatian manager, nerving the opposition, and what happened next we thrashed croatia.

i wouldnt worry about it. he will eat his words after the game. one of gunnys useless signings.

every team in this league is trying to disrupt our form by throwing in nerving words, aint guna work!!!

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="Longy"]I also thought his comments were interesting. I don''t think there is any doubt that he didn''t rate Rodent or Gunn as managers but then again tell us something we don''t know.

[/quote]

Errr .......... exactly where in the interview is there any implication or slightest suggestion that Cort didn''t rate Gunn ? Cort clearly refers to the fact that on his arrival at the club he detected issues between Roeder and the players but there is no reference to Gunn apart from Cort''s disappointment at not being re-signed which was IMO a good decision and Gunn clearly got his man in Grant Holt.

[/quote]Hi Bob, I would love to reply to you as I would 99.9% of the other members of this board. I made the decision to ignore all your posts about 4 months ago as I believe you should be probably put in a padded room and given treatment for your stalking of Bryan Gunn. Therefore for you own good, I will not feed your habit.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="Longy"]I also thought his comments were interesting. I don''t think there is any doubt that he didn''t rate Rodent or Gunn as managers but then again tell us something we don''t know.

[/quote]

Errr .......... exactly where in the interview is there any implication or slightest suggestion that Cort didn''t rate Gunn ? Cort clearly refers to the fact that on his arrival at the club he detected issues between Roeder and the players but there is no reference to Gunn apart from Cort''s disappointment at not being re-signed which was IMO a good decision and Gunn clearly got his man in Grant Holt.

[/quote]

Bob, if you can get away from your defensiveness about Bryan Gunn you would be able to look at such comments more objectively. Cort arrived at the club in December and Roeder was gone in January with Gunn taking over on January 21st. What Cort also clearly said was there was enough quality at Norwich such that they should not have been relegated. It''s clear enough for most of us.

[/quote]

Hi Yankee, I can genuinely say that I am being objective here, despite my record of supporting Gunn, and in any case I am not interested in getting involved in another long and usually abusive discussion about Gunn with the likes of Scuttleoutfromunderarock. Anyway, the following is the key part of the interview and, to my mind, Cort is clearly referring to Roeder not Gunn. From everything I read about Roeder and from listening to his interviews when he was at Norwich what Cort says about the relationship between the manager (IMO no doubt it is Roeder) and the players rings completely true :

He said: “It was funny because when I got there, in mid-December, I was always surprised at just how fit the players were and the way the club liked to play the game - you couldn''t understand why they were in the situation they were.

“I didn''t know the ins and outs but there is no doubt there was something else going on and it was affecting the team.

“The boys will always train well and play, but there seemed to be something missing in the side. I didn''t know whether it was to do with some sort of breakdown with the manager and the players, but from what I could gather there seemed to be a bit of a breakdown in communication. That was the impression I was getting.”

[/quote]

I don''t think anyone would dispute that Roeder was a serious problem, which is why he was fired, but neither can one objectively ignore Cort''s comments that there was enough quality in the side that they should not have been relegated. A competent manager should have been able to achieve that and, unfortunately, Gunn could not. That is now a fact. Now that we have the benefit of hindsight and have seen what Paul Lambert has been able to achieve that fact has been even more clearly illuminated.

[/quote]

The point I am making is that Cort recalled an odd, negative atmosphere at the club when he arrived including a breakdown in communication between manager and players. The manager he is clearly referring to was Roeder and the implication is that Roeder "had lost the dressing room". Of course, there was some quality but unlike Cort I don''t think there was that much and, indeed, Cort was just one of 20 plus (I think it was that many but I know I''ll be corrected if I''m wrong) loanees that passed through Carrow Road taking big fat pay cheques with them on the way. I beg to differ with you that Gunn should have avoided relegation. The damage had already been done by the time Gunn took over. He had a clear-out in the summer and got rid of the crap and the wannaways and put togther a squad which provided Lambert with a solid foundation to push on from. Compare that with the chronically crippled club, poisonous atmosphere and mixed bag of loaness that Gunn inherited.

There is no question that Lambert is an exceptionally good manager but it doesn''t follow that Gunn was no good as a manager. I''m not trying to "big Gunn up" as some have accused me of on her. The simple truth is that he didn''t get the time, with his own choice of players, to prove either way what sort of manager he would have been. When someone takes over a club, a company or a department it takes time to weed out the chaff from the wheat, bring in your own people and set the right course and Gunn was not given that time. It''s as simple and as objective as that. It''s a shame that people on this MB don''t recognise the truth of that. Anyway, end of my lunch hour so I''m off.

[/quote]

I have but two words for you sir..... Billy Davies

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

Blimey, you''re a rude, unpleasant so and so, aren''t you ? Not that I have to explain to MB Yobs like you but I work so, by definition, I can''t be glued to this MB just waiting for pondlife to ask me a question. Strange I know, but true.

[/quote]yet this does not prevent you from popping up every time Bryan Gunns name is mentioned does it?

It doesn''t take a inside knowledge to work out what when wrong last year.

Roeder is obviously an arrogant man and when his two main generals in the dressing room left, first Dublin and then Clark. He was doomed having never been popular with the fans over his bonkers handling of Huckerby release.

Gunn then took over and while he is obviously a very passionate man and nice guy he clearly isn''t a manager. It might have worked if he had a couple of games to whip the players up but he had half the season!! After the benefit of Roeder leaving he was then miles of his depth.