Sign in to follow this  
Bexley

Carl Corts comments are quite interesting

[quote user="First Wizard"]Oh for being a fly on the wall.[/quote]Buy Gunny a pint and I''m sure he''ll tell you all about it lol.

Im not Gunn bashing as he will always be a legend of a Goal Keeper.But i couldnt help wondering why he was even still employed by the club, he was obviously quite an influencial bloke.Everyone i knew who worked with him (and that was 3 people) reported back that he was a pretty un-pleasent chap.Ive always kinda thought that he might be chirping away behind the scenes undermining decisions to the players or other such things !Is it any irony that we are performing the best we ever have now that hes left the club entirely ? Granted Lambert is going to be at a big club on a huge wage doing great things in ten years time but still you cant rule out the departure of Gunn.

You don''t need to be a fly on the wall to know what went wrong last season - rearrange the following sentences: ROEDER GLENN. SIGNINGS CHEAP LOAN.

[quote user="canaryjock"]You don''t need to be a fly on the wall to know what went wrong last season - rearrange the following sentences: ROEDER GLENN. SIGNINGS CHEAP LOAN.[/quote]

The snippets from Cort suggest more than this though

Cort always came across well in interviews and didn''t correspond to the "thick footballer" stereotype.He''s clearly being diplomatic, but it''s interesting to read between the lines.

I also thought his comments were interesting. I don''t think there is any doubt that he didn''t rate Rodent or Gunn as managers but then again tell us something we don''t know.

It confirms what we all now know - Roedent had zero man management skills and isolated himself and many of the players by the way he behaved and treated them.

And i just think when Gunn came in he didn''t act quickly enough and decisively enough to correct the situation. He was all softly softly when what was needed was a big shake up. Gunn didn''t stamp him authority on the place, rather he placed what little authority he had on the place! Which wasn''t what was needed and wasn''t enough to turn things around.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Cort always came across well in interviews and didn''t correspond to the "thick footballer" stereotype.He''s clearly being diplomatic, but it''s interesting to read between the lines.[/quote]

Hmmm, that also doesn''t sound like a man who shops at Asda! [:P]

[quote user="KCanary"]

[quote user="Beauseant"]Cort always came across well in interviews and didn''t correspond to the "thick footballer" stereotype.He''s clearly being diplomatic, but it''s interesting to read between the lines.[/quote]

Hmmm, that also doesn''t sound like a man who shops at Asda! [:P]

[/quote]

No, definitely more of a Waitrose man. He apparently had roast swan every Sunday[:D]

[quote user="Longy"]I also thought his comments were interesting. I don''t think there is any doubt that he didn''t rate Rodent or Gunn as managers but then again tell us something we don''t know.

[/quote]

Errr .......... exactly where in the interview is there any implication or slightest suggestion that Cort didn''t rate Gunn ? Cort clearly refers to the fact that on his arrival at the club he detected issues between Roeder and the players but there is no reference to Gunn apart from Cort''s disappointment at not being re-signed which was IMO a good decision and Gunn clearly got his man in Grant Holt.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="Longy"]I also thought his comments were interesting. I don''t think there is any doubt that he didn''t rate Rodent or Gunn as managers but then again tell us something we don''t know.

[/quote]

Errr .......... exactly where in the interview is there any implication or slightest suggestion that Cort didn''t rate Gunn ? Cort clearly refers to the fact that on his arrival at the club he detected issues between Roeder and the players but there is no reference to Gunn apart from Cort''s disappointment at not being re-signed which was IMO a good decision and Gunn clearly got his man in Grant Holt.

[/quote]Hiya Bobby, haven''t seen you since you ran away from a direct question - I''m sure you''ve been busy with the Golf days and some of the window displays did need changing.You''re right it doesn''t mention yo..sorry Gunny at all. This thread is about inferences and reading between the lines (obviously at the same time putting you at a severe disadvantage)......the inference being that perhaps yo...sorry Gunny may have been undermining or being a bit mixxy or maybe not. Got that answer yet?

[quote user="a1canary"]It confirms what we all now know - Roedent had zero man management skills and isolated himself and many of the players by the way he behaved and treated them.

And i just think when Gunn came in he didn''t act quickly enough and decisively enough to correct the situation. He was all softly softly when what was needed was a big shake up. Gunn didn''t stamp him authority on the place, rather he placed what little authority he had on the place! Which wasn''t what was needed and wasn''t enough to turn things around.[/quote].....remember the ''funny'' story that Gunn parked a moped with ''L'' plates in Roeders old parking pace at Colney........................sadly prophetic and not really how you''d start your managerial career is it?

Cort did ok in his time here. was a dcent pro and if he could stay injury free i''d have signed him if i was manager.

[/quote]

[/quote]As if by magic the shopkeeper appeared.FAO Cam!! Carl Cort emphasising his teams superior fitness now that''s what I call irony.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hiya Bobby, haven''t seen you since you ran away from a direct question - I''m sure you''ve been busy with the Golf days and some of the window displays did need changing.

You''re right it doesn''t mention yo..sorry Gunny at all. This thread is about inferences and reading between the lines (obviously at the same time putting you at a severe disadvantage)......the inference being that perhaps yo...sorry Gunny may have been undermining or being a bit mixxy or maybe not.

Got that answer yet?

[/quote]

Blimey, you''re a rude, unpleasant so and so, aren''t you ? Not that I have to explain to MB Yobs like you but I work so, by definition, I can''t be glued to this MB just waiting for pondlife to ask me a question. Strange I know, but true.

I''m just trying to think back did Cort come to City after Clark had left to join Huddersfield?

The morale seemed to look better from the outside while Clark was there as assistant, and the results were better.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bob, if you can get away from your defensiveness about Bryan Gunn you would be able to look at such comments more objectively. Cort arrived at the club in December and Roeder was gone in January with Gunn taking over on January 21st. What Cort also clearly said was there was enough quality at Norwich such that they should not have been relegated. It''s clear enough for most of us.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As if by magic the shopkeeper appeared.

FAO Cam!! Carl Cort emphasising his teams superior fitness now that''s what I call irony.
[/quote]

Well, well, well it''s good old emptyhead, sorry, Buckethead. Shopkeeper ? No idea what you''re talking about. I expect you don''t either.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Hiya Bobby, haven''t seen you since you ran away from a direct question - I''m sure you''ve been busy with the Golf days and some of the window displays did need changing.You''re right it doesn''t mention yo..sorry Gunny at all. This thread is about inferences and reading between the lines (obviously at the same time putting you at a severe disadvantage)......the inference being that perhaps yo...sorry Gunny may have been undermining or being a bit mixxy or maybe not. Got that answer yet?

[/quote]

Blimey, you''re a rude, unpleasant so and so, aren''t you ? Not that I have to explain to MB Yobs like you but I work so, by definition, I can''t be glued to this MB just waiting for pondlife to ask me a question. Strange I know, but true.

[/quote]Pondlife!!!???? you really are a funny funny man.....it''s actually you who calls people names and slags people off on a personal level but i realise the truth hurts and you obviously are no friend of truth. I use sarcasm, irony and debate threads and topics on this message board. All you do is defend the almost indefensible. I see your above post to Buckethead is full of reasoned debate and is no way yobbish at all. You ran away mate - simple question, simple answer - you couldn''t handle either.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bob, if you can get away from your defensiveness about Bryan Gunn you would be able to look at such comments more objectively. Cort arrived at the club in December and Roeder was gone in January with Gunn taking over on January 21st. What Cort also clearly said was there was enough quality at Norwich such that they should not have been relegated. It''s clear enough for most of us.

[/quote]

Hi Yankee, I can genuinely say that I am being objective here, despite my record of supporting Gunn, and in any case I am not interested in getting involved in another long and usually abusive discussion about Gunn with the likes of Scuttleoutfromunderarock. Anyway, the following is the key part of the interview and, to my mind, Cort is clearly referring to Roeder not Gunn. From everything I read about Roeder and from listening to his interviews when he was at Norwich what Cort says about the relationship between the manager (IMO no doubt it is Roeder) and the players rings completely true :

He said: “It was funny because when I got there, in mid-December, I was always surprised at just how fit the players were and the way the club liked to play the game - you couldn''t understand why they were in the situation they were.

“I didn''t know the ins and outs but there is no doubt there was something else going on and it was affecting the team.

“The boys will always train well and play, but there seemed to be something missing in the side. I didn''t know whether it was to do with some sort of breakdown with the manager and the players, but from what I could gather there seemed to be a bit of a breakdown in communication. That was the impression I was getting.”

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Yankee, I can genuinely say that I am being objective here, despite my record of supporting Gunn, and in any case I am not interested in getting involved in another long and usually abusive discussion about Gunn with the likes of Scuttleoutfromunderarock. Anyway, the following is the key part of the interview and, to my mind, Cort is clearly referring to Roeder not Gunn. From everything I read about Roeder and from listening to his interviews when he was at Norwich what Cort says about the relationship between the manager (IMO no doubt it is Roeder) and the players rings completely true :

He said: “It was funny because when I got there, in mid-December, I was always surprised at just how fit the players were and the way the club liked to play the game - you couldn''t understand why they were in the situation they were.“I didn''t know the ins and outs but there is no doubt there was something else going on and it was affecting the team.“The boys will always train well and play, but there seemed to be something missing in the side. I didn''t know whether it was to do with some sort of breakdown with the manager and the players, but from what I could gather there seemed to be a bit of a breakdown in communication. That was the impression I was getting.”
[/quote]You''re never objectiveYou''re interested in long discussion right up to the point when you start losing the debate or someone asks you a direct question which you don''t want to answer.SCUTTLEFROMUNDERAROCK...................is actually quite good...........................but no good for your credibility..............only you could decry peoples as yobs then go on a name calling spree. You are a hypocritical fool. I''m glad I''ve gotten to you over the past few days.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He said: “It was funny because when I got there, in mid-December, I was always surprised at just how fit the players were and the way the club liked to play the game - you couldn''t understand why they were in the situation they were.

“I didn''t know the ins and outs but there is no doubt there was something else going on and it was affecting the team.

“The boys will always train well and play, but there seemed to be something missing in the side. I didn''t know whether it was to do with some sort of breakdown with the manager and the players, but from what I could gather there seemed to be a bit of a breakdown in communication. That was the impression I was getting.”

[/quote]

I don''t think anyone would dispute that Roeder was a serious problem, which is why he was fired, but neither can one objectively ignore Cort''s comments that there was enough quality in the side that they should not have been relegated. A competent manager should have been able to achieve that and, unfortunately, Gunn could not. That is now a fact. Now that we have the benefit of hindsight and have seen what Paul Lambert has been able to achieve that fact has been even more clearly illuminated.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think anyone would dispute that Roeder was a serious problem, which is why he was fired, but neither can one objectively ignore Cort''s comments that there was enough quality in the side that they should not have been relegated. A competent manager should have been able to achieve that and, unfortunately, Gunn could not. That is now a fact. Now that we have the benefit of hindsight and have seen what Paul Lambert has been able to achieve that fact has been even more clearly illuminated.

[/quote]

The point I am making is that Cort recalled an odd, negative atmosphere at the club when he arrived including a breakdown in communication between manager and players. The manager he is clearly referring to was Roeder and the implication is that Roeder "had lost the dressing room". Of course, there was some quality but unlike Cort I don''t think there was that much and, indeed, Cort was just one of 20 plus (I think it was that many but I know I''ll be corrected if I''m wrong) loanees that passed through Carrow Road taking big fat pay cheques with them on the way. I beg to differ with you that Gunn should have avoided relegation. The damage had already been done by the time Gunn took over. He had a clear-out in the summer and got rid of the crap and the wannaways and put togther a squad which provided Lambert with a solid foundation to push on from. Compare that with the chronically crippled club, poisonous atmosphere and mixed bag of loaness that Gunn inherited.

There is no question that Lambert is an exceptionally good manager but it doesn''t follow that Gunn was no good as a manager. I''m not trying to "big Gunn up" as some have accused me of on her. The simple truth is that he didn''t get the time, with his own choice of players, to prove either way what sort of manager he would have been. When someone takes over a club, a company or a department it takes time to weed out the chaff from the wheat, bring in your own people and set the right course and Gunn was not given that time. It''s as simple and as objective as that. It''s a shame that people on this MB don''t recognise the truth of that. Anyway, end of my lunch hour so I''m off.

I''m not surprised that there was a negative atmosphere under Roeder who seemed to prefer his loanees to contracted players. Playing a useless Henry instead of a fit Hucks at Leicester was one classic instance. In the season we were relegated I wouldn''t be surprised if refereeing decisions played their part in killing team-spirit as I lost count of the number of times that we were robbed of points by some unbelievable incompetence.  Hot-headed Russell also cost us many points through his sendings-off and subsequent bans. Thankfully, this season he seems to have learned his lesson.  

[quote]The simple truth is that he didn''t get the time, with his own choice of players, to prove either way what sort of manager he would have been.[/quote]Manager A presided over a relegation with inherited players, he then lost disastrously to a league 1 side with a team that was mainly his own.  Manager B then went on a winning spree, largely with the players he inherited from Manager A.  Which is the better manager ?Had Gunn kept his job post-Colchester, where would we be ?  I''m guessing at mid-table at best.  Better to nip that in the bud rather than give an unproven novice a chance to drive the club into League 1 obscurity.  Norwich didn''t have the luxury of time to give to Gunn - we have already made that mistake once with Grant - and at least he was a coach, not head of player recruitment, whatever that means.Also, what did McNally see that we didn''t ?  He knows what a squad should look like when training, he gets involved in the purchase of players.  He''s a proper footballing CEO, and about time we had one - wouldn''t you say, Bob ?

As if by magic the shopkeeper appeared.

FAO Cam!! Carl Cort emphasising his teams superior fitness now that''s what I call irony.

Well, well, well it''s good old emptyhead, sorry, Buckethead. Shopkeeper ? No idea what you''re talking about. I expect you don''t either.

Bob Franklin you obviously never, when you were younger, watched Mr Benn.

Far more entertaining than the re-runs of Manager Gunns top ten wins![;)]

[quote user="The Butler"]Bob Franklin you obviously never, when you were younger, watched Mr Benn.[/quote]Now, are we talking about Nigel or Tony here Buttles? [:^)]