Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

the geordies dont rate forster that much!!!

He made one absolute howler, however a couple of saves in the second half were top notch as panic began to set in in front of him.  Trouble is if you are a keeper your mistakes are more likely to cost the team.  If the game had ended at 90 minutes you would not want Rudd to take his place after his performance up to injury time surely?

I wouldnt worry what they think to be honest. They thought Keegan was going to be the messiah second time round. I think hes a steady keeper at this level but young. To drop him and bring Rudd in would kill his confidence.

[quote user="Georgie Bless"]I wouldnt worry what they think to be honest. They thought Keegan was going to be the messiah second time round. I think hes a steady keeper at this level but young. To drop him and bring Rudd in would kill his confidence.[/quote]What do we care? He is a Newcastle player, not Norwich.

I dont think many sides rate many of the younger players so no surprise there And to think that the Toon have any idea what a good footballer is a joke They havent seen many good players in their lifetime

Why Rudd as well young keeper would be prone to less mistakes is a bit misleading They are learning their trade

Some people on this board are he most fickle bunch of idiots i''ve seen, honestly.

Yes Forster screwed up, but what GK hasn''t?? or goes through his career without mucking up at some point??

Jesus, Marshall made howlers in practically every game last season, and was for some reason beyond criticism. Forster had a great game last night (and has generally been solid all season), spoiled by one poor kick, and people start talking about dropping him. Bearing in mind he''s got the worst defender in our history back in the team, i think we should cut him some slack.

[quote user="KenBrown"]I dont think many sides rate many of the younger players so no surprise there And to think that the Toon have any idea what a good footballer is a joke They havent seen many good players in their lifetime Why Rudd as well young keeper would be prone to less mistakes is a bit misleading They are learning their trade[/quote]

This is the point that I agree with above all others on the points made about the goalkeepers.

To deal with the "mistake" first - My initial reaction at the game was "why was he in such a hurry to take the goal kick?" And that''s what I still think today. Since about the 75th minute we lost the midfield and it had changed from a game we were likely to win to one where we should take the point we had. That miss by Beckford should have been their last chance. The keeper should have taken as long as possible over the goal kick. The clock wouldn''t even have been stopped for time wasting if he''d have waited ''til the teams jogged up the field and took position. I even sensed that Leeds felt they had just missed their last chance.

But the second point is, as Ken Brown said, he''s a young inexperienced goal keeper and will learn from that mistake. Now it''s just as likely that Rudd would have made a costly mistake last night which he''d have learned from. The difference is that Forster learning from his mistake will benefit Newcastle where as any mistake Rudd would have learned from would benefit us.

I don''t understand what it is with us and goalies over the last couple of seasons. When Grant paid 1m for a promising young Scottish keeper we already had a promising young English one. What a waste of money that was!! Now we are loaning young keepers when we already have young keepers of our own. If our keepers are not quite ready then surely the way forward is to get in an experienced goalkeeper who is coming towards the end of his career to keep their place warm for them. They could learn from such a keeper too.

For once, I totally agree with you nutty nigel.

If we have a young keeper in the team learning his trade surely it should be ours and not someone elses? Although to be fair to Lambert he hadn''t seen anyone in goal other than Theoklitos when he got the job and i have no doubt he is trying hard to offload him ASAP.

For what it''s worth, I rate Forster pretty highly - he''s a good shot stopper and his positioning isn''t half bad, but he does need to work on his kicking and who he kicks it to. [:$][;)]

[quote user="crab"]Jesus, Marshall made howlers in practically every game last season, and was for some reason beyond criticism. Forster had a great game last night (and has generally been solid all season), spoiled by one poor kick, and people start talking about dropping him. Bearing in mind he''s got the worst defender in our history back in the team, i think we should cut him some slack.[/quote]

His kicking has always been poor!!!

[quote user="Shyster"]For what it''s worth, I rate Forster pretty highly - he''s a good shot stopper and his positioning isn''t half bad, but he does need to work on his kicking and who he kicks it to. [:$][;)]
[/quote]

Do you rate Forster more highly than Rudd Shyster? Because my point is that Rudd could be learning from his own mistakes rather than us helping another clubs keeper learn from theirs. But if Rudd is still maybe a year too young (Green and Lewis were both 20 when they played regular first team football) then would we be better off with an older experienced keeper for a year?

Rudd could be given playing time and learning from his own mistakes, but at this stage in time, I think that Forster is a better goalkeeper and has more presence.

Everyone seems to assume that Forster is a short term loan.  Why?   I would not be surprised if we signed him for a nominal fee in January.   Newcastle need to save money and are well served with keepers.  Lambert likes Forster and I can see why.

Fair comments from Cambridge and Beds. So if we sign Forster, who I agree is a good keeper, should we send Rudd out on loan to gain further experience with someone else? Because the situation seems similar to Marshall/Lewis to me. And I reckon we lost out both ways when that panned out.

It''s a tough one, we have to balance the clubs needs with the players needs, we let him go, which would be good for him, then we will be short with only Clitorus and Forster. But keep him here, he is unlikely to play too many baring suspensions and major drops in form. I would say, let him go for 1 month with a 24 hours recall option.

If Rudd had been playing and had made such a... ''noticeable'' error in a game of that magnitude, would anyone be worried that such an event could damage our promising young keeper?

I reckon Greeno was a couple of years older at the time but Worthy just gave him the shirt when Andy Marshall left. That''s why I''d be looking at a more experienced keeper for a year or so to keep the place warm for Rudd. If we sign Forster then we will be back to the Marshall/Lewis situation again.

Stick with him or kill his confidence. He won''t make a mistake like that for long time and looked solid at making saves. Wouldn''t be worried if he was in goal on Saturday. Until goal kicks of course. However Rudd''s kicks are brilliant but he hasn''t had much to do in the games he has played so don''t really know whats he''s like. The sooner we get a new RB or Spillane the better.