Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Our strongest team for gillingham

Forster
Semmi Askou Nelson Drury
Smith Hughes Russell Lappin
          Holt     Hoolahan
subs: Rudd, McVeigh, McDonald, Martin, Adeyemi, Spilliane & Maric (Deserves another chance)

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]                ForsterSemmi Askou Spillane DrurySmith Hughes Russell Lappin          Holt     Hoolahansubs: Rudd, Mveigh, McDonald, Martin, Adeyemi, Nelson & Maric[/quote]

4-3-3 everytime now,why change?

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]Because this is our strongest team and daley is useless
[/quote]

[Y]

Also, Smith on the right [^o)] Dont see why not, but he did so well CM!

We need Hughes in for creativity!

Hoolahan deserves his place

But Holt needs support in the middle and be told not to drift away from the middle!

Daley shouldn''t be anywhere near the 1st team cause he isn''t good enough - hopefully he will be in the future but all bulls*it talk about " our futures safe with the likes of Daley " is ridiculous cause unless he improves he will not ever be good enough - remember messrs Henderson and the Jarvis bros! 

I seem to remember Smith playing brilliantly against Charlton last game of the season on the wing. Shame McVeigh has lost his place really as he played really well with Otsemobor, however my team for Gillingham taking into account Hughes and Nelson are back would be:

Forster

Otsemobor Nelson Askou Drury

Smith Russell Hughes Lappin

Hoolahan Holt

SUBS: Rudd, McVeigh, McDonald, Cureton, Martin, Spillane, Adeyemi

forsterspillane      nelson         askou        drury/wiggins?

smith         russell/hughes   mcveigh              mcdonald                 lappin                               holt

subs: semi, martin, theo, maric, daley, doc, (drury or rusty)     

[quote user="Brendan"]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]Because this is our strongest team and daley is useless[/quote]

[Y]

Also, Smith on the right [^o)] Dont see why not, but he did so well CM!

[/quote]Yes but if he plays CM that means one of Russell or Hughes can''t play. Like previously mentioned, he played RM and excelled last season vs Charlton aswell.

[quote user=""][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Nelson Not great but miles ahead of Spillane.
[/quote]
You mean mr hoofball
[/quote]

Oh you mean like Askou who you''d actually put in your team? Nelson may ''hoof'' it but if it means he can keep the ball further away from our goal I''m not bothered.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Nelson? Not great but miles ahead of Spillane.[/quote]You mean mr hoofball [/quote]Better than, for instance, standing off one of their attackers and letting him come inside, when he should be cleaning him out and preventing any danger. And also in situations where he should be hoofing it away, messing about and losing the thing. Sorry but the guy''s a bloody liability.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Spillane? "Strongest team"? Hello? Anybody there?
[/quote]

Give Spillane a break, he does somethings badly just like every centre back at the club but he''s 20 years old and learning, he did some good things yesterday aswell and there were more senior defenders in the team namely Otsemebor and Askou who hardly covered themselves in glory for the entire game aswell. By the way you sound like ''Bruno''.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

Give Spillane a break, he does somethings badly just like every centre back at the club but he''s 20 years old and learning, he did some good things yesterday aswell and there were more senior defenders in the team namely Otsemebor and Askou who hardly covered themselves in glory for the entire game aswell. By the way you sound like ''Bruno''.

[/quote]

He has to be judged as any other centreback would be. He''s recognised as part of the senior squad and therefore he should be judged that way.

I don''t think he''ll ever be good enough to be a first choice player for us but obviously I''d be happy to be proved.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He has to be judged as any other centreback would be. He''s recognised as part of the senior squad and therefore he should be judged that way.

I don''t think he''ll ever be good enough to be a first choice player for us but obviously I''d be happy to be proved.

[/quote]

err

"to be proved wrong"

just incase anyone was wondering how that sentence should have finished.

spillane started as a defensive midfielder, and when we played man city in the cup with a load of kids and doherty at CB as the oldest player by about 6 years, he was utterly superb.but since the days of worthy he has been bounced between both full back positions and centre back and even upfront in a reserve game (that didnt work!!!)i reckon, try him at DM again.

[quote user="missing in action"]spillane started as a defensive midfielder, and when we played man city in the cup with a load of kids and doherty at CB as the oldest player by about 6 years, he was utterly superb.
but since the days of worthy he has been bounced between both full back positions and centre back and even upfront in a reserve game (that didnt work!!!)
i reckon, try him at DM again.
[/quote]

Nah, not in my opinion.

He doesn''t have the turn of pace to get around the pitch or the ability with the ball to play that position.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="missing in action"]spillane started as a defensive midfielder, and when we played man city in the cup with a load of kids and doherty at CB as the oldest player by about 6 years, he was utterly superb.but since the days of worthy he has been bounced between both full back positions and centre back and even upfront in a reserve game (that didnt work!!!)i reckon, try him at DM again. [/quote]

Nah, not in my opinion.

He doesn''t have the turn of pace to get around the pitch or the ability with the ball to play that position.

[/quote]i agree with the passing aspect of his play. its a weakness. but one thing that did impress me that night was his mopping up, his tackling, organisation and movement forwards when in space. its why i thought maybe he was worth another go there.

Midfield is a tough area to pick:

Hughes is the creativity in the middle

Smith gives us the energy and mobility

Russell gives the physical presence

Forster

Semmy, Nelson, Askou, Drury

Smith, Hughes, Russell, Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt

i know Smith is a central midfielder but i feel with Hoolahan in the side we need a bit more strength and size in the middle.

I''d be tempted to keep Daley in there for his pace but i don''t think he''s good enough yet.

[quote user="missing in action"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="missing in action"]spillane started as a defensive midfielder, and when we played man city in the cup with a load of kids and doherty at CB as the oldest player by about 6 years, he was utterly superb.
but since the days of worthy he has been bounced between both full back positions and centre back and even upfront in a reserve game (that didnt work!!!)
i reckon, try him at DM again.
[/quote]

Nah, not in my opinion.

[/quote]
i agree with the passing aspect of his play. its a weakness. but one thing that did impress me that night was his mopping up, his tackling, organisation and movement forwards when in space. its why i thought maybe he was worth another go there.
[/quote]

But in that position passing is key and he''s not good with the ball.

[quote user="Good Evening Neil"][quote user="ldnboy"]smith would not play well on the wing..

he said so himself that he prefers to play anywhere in central midfield[/quote]we saw that at Charlton in "that game"[/quote]

However i don''t remember us winning that game.

From his interview he seemed very settled in the centre of the park so there''s no point moving him if there is no real need to. In games where he''s played in the centre with another experienced central midfielder (so not including the dons game) we have come out with good results. so taking all that into account, i feel that there is no need to disrupt his current form by moving him into another role.

At this stage it is much better to have a settled and established side rather than still moving players around even though they have played perfectly well where they are at the moment.

Smith''s intelligence could be very useful on the right but i think it would be unfair on him to put him there simply to accommodate russell.

-----------------Forster--------------

Semmy---Nelson----Askou---Drury

--------------------------------------

McVeigh----Smith---Hughes---Lappin

--------------------------------------

-------------Holt------Hoolahan----

If everyone is fit thats what i''d play.