Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

50 years ago.............

1959/60 - City ended the season 2nd place in Division 3 (South).

24 wins, 11 draws & 11 defeats. On today''s 3 points for a win, we totalled the equivalent of 83pts.

1958/59 - 4th

22 wins, 13 draws & 11 defeats = 79pts.

1957/58 - 8th

19 wins, 15 draws & 12 defeats = 72pts.

1956/57 - 24th (bottom)

8 wins, 15 draws & 23 defeats = 39pts.

1955/56 - 7th

19 wins, 13 draws & 14 defeats = 70pts.

1954/55 - 12th

18 wins, 10 draws & 18 defeats = 64pts.

1953/54 - 7th

20 wins, 11 draws & 15 defeats = 71pts.

1952/53 - 4th

25 wins, 10 draws & 11 defeats = 85pts.

1951/52 - 3rd

26 wins, 9 draws & 11 defeats = 87pts.

1950/51 - 2nd

25 wins, 14 draws & 7 defeats = 89pts.

The 1956/57 season saw our club end up at bottom of Division 3 (South) and at (arguably) it''s lowest ever ebb. Off the pitch, the club had severe financial problems & was only saved from financial ruin via loans received from ''The Norfolk News Company'' and funds raised via an appeal launched by Lord Mayor Arthur South.

In the ten seasons from 1950/51 through to 1959/60, City achieved an average placing within the division of 7th. Indeed, with the exception of the ''dark days'' of 56/57, City finished no lower than 12th.

The club currently stands in 14th place in the 3rd tier of English league football, & has debts totalling in excess of £20m.

Smith is now within touching distance of taking the club back to where it was 53 years ago!

Myth or fact - you decide!

[8]Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue[8][8]Even Jamie Lad could score with you[8]Ah, those were Happy Days alright...Look, there''s young Delia![img]http://www.kwhb.com/Admin/images/Happy-Days-Cast-703711.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]That''s a cure for insomnia if ever I saw one.[/quote]

The truth is often boring.

That''s why people often ignore it at their peril.

OTBC

Myth or fact? Well, certainly not fact. The equivalent now of finishing bottom of the

old Third Division South would be to finish in the bottom two of League

Two. So we are still one relegation away from even having a chance of

being as lowly-placed as we were 53 years ago.Apologies for the tedious introduction of relevant fact into this thread.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Myth or fact? Well, certainly not fact. The equivalent now of finishing bottom of the

old Third Division South would be to finish in the bottom two of League

Two. So we are still one relegation away from even having a chance of

being as lowly-placed as we were 53 years ago.Apologies for the tedious introduction of relevant fact into this thread.[/quote]Not at all.  And you could have watched "Jeff Stelling''s Sky Sports Soccer Saturday" on one of these....[img]http://www.tvhistory.tv/1959-RCA-Fliptop-OPEN.JPG[/img]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][8]Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue[8]
[8]Even Jamie Lad could score with you[8]

Ah, those were Happy Days alright...

Look, there''s young Delia!

[img]http://www.kwhb.com/Admin/images/Happy-Days-Cast-703711.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Brings tears to my eyes Chops.

Feb 3rd 1959, "The day the music died".

But OT this post is sadly true, we are indeed back where we were when I first started. Division 3 and dreaming of better things.

[quote user="ricardo"]

But OT this post is sadly true, we are indeed back where we were when I first started. Division 3 and dreaming of better things.

[/quote]I don''t disagree, and Lord knows none of us want to be where we are now.  I just take exception to muppets who say things like "Smith is now within touching distance of taking the club back to where it was 53 years ago!" as if somehow it''s all her fault and her fault alone.  Of course mistakes have been made and I am no Smith loving happy clapping wool wearing grass chewing baa-baa apologist, but to say it is all down to her is ludicrous.  As far as I can see, her only crime is not being a multi-millionaire.  Well, we''re all guilty of that.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

I don''t disagree, and Lord knows none of us want to be where we are now.  I just take exception to muppets who say things like "Smith is now within touching distance of taking the club back to where it was 53 years ago!" as if somehow it''s all her fault and her fault alone.  Of course mistakes have been made and I am no Smith loving happy clapping wool wearing grass chewing baa-baa apologist, but to say it is all down to her is ludicrous.  As far as I can see, her only crime is not being a multi-millionaire.  Well, we''re all guilty of that.

[/quote]

Oh Man! - Hilarious! - Funniest thing I have read in years!

Pure comedy gem. Love it!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

I don''t disagree, and Lord knows none of us want to be where we are now.  I just take exception to muppets who say things like "Smith is now within touching distance of taking the club back to where it was 53 years ago!" as if somehow it''s all her fault and her fault alone.  Of course mistakes have been made and I am no Smith loving happy clapping wool wearing grass chewing baa-baa apologist, but to say it is all down to her is ludicrous.  As far as I can see, her only crime is not being a multi-millionaire.  Well, we''re all guilty of that.

[/quote]

I don''t think you''re taking into account how bad the situation is Mister! It''s all very well you saying it''s not all her fault but do you realise at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon we were more than in touching distance of where we were 53 years ago, We were staring into the abyss!

You need to wake up and smell the Conference, the Live League table never lies.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]That''s a cure for insomnia if ever I saw one.[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Ludicrous statement, full of your usual bullshit.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Ludicrous statement, full of your usual bullshit.

[/quote]

Well said Bly.

The point made is fully factual - there are two (& a half) divisions above us and our financial situation is on a par with that faced by the club in that 1956/57 season.

Those that try and pretend things are not that bad, or fail to accept it, are utter fools.

The only ambition this season is avoid getting drawn into a fight for survival against relegation to the ''4th tier''. Mind you, the board would continue to draw support from the happy-clappies amongst regular gates in excess of 20,000. It defies belief!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think you''re taking into account how bad the situation is Mister! It''s all very well you saying it''s not all her fault but do you realise at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon we were more than in touching distance of where we were 53 years ago, We were staring into the abyss!

You need to wake up and smell the Conference, the Live League table never lies.

[/quote]

Things could be worse.  Colchester voted in favour of your re-election when you came cap in hand to the 1958 AGM asking to be readmitted to Third Division (South). 

I''ve been to the Conference for three whole seasons.  I quite enjoyed it because you have to take what you can from it - including some old gal selling slices of her home made cake at half time and the magical half-time Tannoy announcement: "One of the officials has been taken ill, is there a qualified referee in the ground who can run the line in the second half?"

There was and I did! [:|]  I gave a penalty against Colchester but the ref waved it away.  Still think I was right and that I had a better view than he did.[;)]

[quote user="Delia Out"]Well said Bly.

The point made is fully factual - there are two (& a half) divisions above us and our financial situation is on a par with that faced by the club in that 1956/57 season.

Those that try and pretend things are not that bad, or fail to accept it, are utter fools.

The only ambition this season is avoid getting drawn into a fight for survival against relegation to the ''4th tier''. Mind you, the board would continue to draw support from the happy-clappies amongst regular gates in excess of 20,000. It defies belief!

[/quote]Oh Man! - Hilarious! - Funniest thing I have read in years!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Delia Out"]Well said Bly.

[/quote]Oh Man! - Hilarious! - Funniest thing I have read in years!

[/quote]

I''m sure they''d find a part-time spot for you in the NCFC spin department Lappy if only you asked, unless of course..............

[A]

OTBC

[quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]But the point being made by the OP and others - the comparison with the 1956/57 season - is not factual at all.Now there are two and a half divisions above us and a whole division below us. Then we were equal 91st out of 92 clubs (so there were effectively four divisions above us) and there was no division below us and non-League football.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]

But the point being made by the OP and others - the comparison with the 1956/57 season - is not factual at all.

Now there are two and a half divisions above us and a whole division below us. Then we were equal 91st out of 92 clubs (so there were effectively four divisions above us) and there was no division below us and non-League football.[/quote]

It''s not fair to point that out. They are using dramatic licence to spin the facts. You are spoiling it. Now Purple, like Mister before you, wake up and smell the Conference[C]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]But the point being made by the OP and others - the comparison with the 1956/57 season - is not factual at all.Now there are two and a half divisions above us and a whole division below us. Then we were equal 91st out of 92 clubs (so there were effectively four divisions above us) and there was no division below us and non-League football.[/quote]

It''s not fair to point that out. They are using dramatic licence to spin the facts. You are spoiling it. Now Purple, like Mister before you, wake up and smell the Conference[C]

[/quote]You.re right, of course, Nutty. When WILL I ever learn? I well remember my tutor at Dotheboys Hall, as he beat Aristotelian logic into me, saying no good would come of it.Instead of doing something really useful with the knowledge, such as founding some new school of philosophy, I would just waste it on football internet message boards, he said. And he was right (which was pretty impressive, given that the internet was several decades away at that point).

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]

But the point being made by the OP and others - the comparison with the 1956/57 season - is not factual at all.

Now there are two and a half divisions above us and a whole division below us. Then we were equal 91st out of 92 clubs (so there were effectively four divisions above us) and there was no division below us and non-League football.[/quote]

[/quote]

You.re right, of course, Nutty. When WILL I ever learn? I well remember my tutor at Dotheboys Hall, as he beat Aristotelian logic into me, saying no good would come of it.

Instead of doing something really useful with the knowledge, such as founding some new school of philosophy, I would just waste it on football internet message boards, he said. And he was right (which was pretty impressive, given that the internet was several decades away at that point).[/quote]

Why don''t the two of you stop being pedantic/flippant in the face of reality.Two well-known spinning techniques.

The point is well made and you know it.

Of course, Purple, you know that nigel doesn''t know wtf you are talking about without resorting to googling - and even then he might get it wrong.

Do-the-boys Hall, eh?

Well, well.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sometimes, I almost feel sorry for the aptly named Nutty. He (& his like) feel an impulsion to counter any commentry from realists, to the extent that they accuse such posters of something they themselves are most guilty of. Sad people, getting the sort of club they deserve.

[quote user="DEB never forgotten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sometimes, I almost feel sorry for the aptly named Nutty. He (& his like) feel an impulsion to counter any commentry from realists, to the extent that they accuse such posters of something they themselves are most guilty of. Sad people, getting the sort of club they deserve.

[/quote]

Whoops... tut, tut... Nutty voted to take his rebate and against THE THEN BOARD OF DIRECTORS at the meeting kindly arranged at ST Andrews Hall don''t you know???

Nutty, a Percy Positive???  Never... I won''t hear a word of it!!!! [:S] [:$]

[quote user="DEB never forgotten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, me and my like put reality on ridiculous comments from the half-witted saddo''s who continually post doom and gloom on here. Purple is correct and you were wrong. Totally wrong. Even though the point you allude to is valid your pathetic attempts to make it look worse than it is with constant ridiculous spin, like on this thread or refreshing the live league table only when we''re losing, prevent any reasoned debate on here. Perhaps you''d like to give examples of the spin that I am most guilty of as I have for you.

Sorry if this post is rather rude and abrasive but you lot don''t like flippant so I''m happy to do like for like.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="DEB never forgotten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whoops... tut, tut... Nutty voted to take his rebate and against THE THEN BOARD OF DIRECTORS at the meeting kindly arranged at ST Andrews Hall don''t you know???

Nutty, a Percy Positive???  Never... I won''t hear a word of it!!!! [:S] [:$]

[/quote]

Yes nutty did Smudger. Nutty voted on all three resolutions. I voted that I didn''t agree with the appointment of Gunn, I voted to take my rebate and I voted no confidence in the 3 man Board of Directors. And lo and behold Gunn''s gone, the rebate is done and there is a new board. I''m happy but you''re not? Yet you''re happy with the new manager and the rebate is none of your business which leaves the board of directors issue. Being as you''re so "Pally with McNally" it seems you''re OK with those  changes too. All this leads me to believe that none of the resolutions at The Andrews were what you really wanted but nobody had the balls to propose "we want Smith out".

Now how far away am I from the truth?

Spinning like mad some one is!

As there was no league below Division 3 (south) we were in effect in the bottom tier.

As Cam pointed out re election was needed.

So there is great similarites between then and now.

As you keep saying Nutty football is different now from then  A few coins chucked into blankets carried round the pitch could and did make a lot of difference. It would be an offence now by the way!!

Smith is not to blame on her own BUT she has  had a great deal of influence over the decisions made by the board both football and non football over the years of her tenure.

You don''t end up with 20million plus debt and a dodgy team in the third division by being succesful do you.

I am impressed with Lambert and McNally so I am hopefull that we might ride out the storm and rise again but it is going to be a very very close thing.

[quote user="DEB "]

[/quote]I actually do feel sorry for you. Your life must be Hell. To spend so much time trying to find anything ANYTHING vaguely negative about the club, then put the worst possible complexion on it is a pretty miserable way to spend your life.For Crissakes, even Smudger has the (grudging) good grace to own up when he sees something positive.You''re not a realist, you''re a miserablist. Though you might call Nutty sad, I bet he''s a bugger sight better company than you.

What is the point of spinning like mad in reply Butler. To take your logic there are now 34 teams between us and 92nd. But we are not comparing like for like so any comparison being made will be spun to make the point. The difference is those who make the point we are not within touching distance of re-election to the league or now relegation from the league didn''t start the thread and begin making the ridiculous comparisons in the first place.