Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Parallel universes

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Scooby"]Be careful Beau.  Too much sanity and a dose of reality thrown in for good measure will not go down well with some on here.  You little Percy Positive you[;)][/quote]

Baaah![:D]

[/quote]

Yep, that''s the self-congratulatory sound you flock of ever presents make on here when you all agree with each other normally (A) anti Gunn and his supporters and (B) pro Lambert and McNally. I read your post last night, you stated the obvious and on cue the flock gathered round baaaing and nodding sagely in profound agreement. 

My own brief view is this  : I thought that 4 3 3 was ambitious away from home but I''m not the manager and, unlike our new leader, not an expert on football management. Luck was on our side from the off and Chris Martin took his chance extremely well only to show minutes later why he is not yet the complete article by missing a chance which he really should have put away. A short while later Holt should have had a penalty but the same linesman who gave MKDons their dubious penalty kept his flag down by his side. So, IMO it really should have been game over after 25 minutes and the forced substitutions would not have made a difference.

But, how often do fans of all clubs make the same observations match after match ? If this had happened or that had happened or if we had been given a penalty - it all sounded so hollow and so "groundhog day" when I discussed the game with my work colleagues this morning, a mixture of Southampton, Portsmouth, Arsenal and Man U supporters. Yes, we did look good for the first quarter of the game but then of course the injuries did take their toll. Yes, Hughes''s injury was the most significant in a negative sense of course. He has proved to be an excellent signing by Gunn. Gunn''s signings, central defenders, Nelson and Askou, performed extremely well together and were highly effective twin pillars in defence. Gunn also rehabilated Lappin and what a threat he was whilst left of midfield.  

And, yes, the enforced substitutions meant that tactical options (if any) for later in the game were denied Lambert. However, where were the contingency tactics to accommodate injuries ? Surely, any manager must legislate for injuries to key players especially now that they are allowed 7 subs on the bench ? Why were both McDonald and Cureton on the bench ? Why both McVeigh and Whaley ? Where were Russell and Hoolahan ? Why was there no direct cover for Drury (Sam Habergham) who is known to be carrying an injury and therefore likely to need to be substituted ? Many on here rubbish Russell and Hoolahan but of course they should have been on the bench. We lost both our main threats : Hughes down the right and and Lappin on the left. Hughes of course had to come off and was replaced by McVeigh but then the injury prone Drury had to come off several minutes later and without someone like the impressive Habergham as a direct replacement Lambert''s lack of foresight left him with no option but to drop Lappin to left back. From that moment we offered no obvious threat apart from hopeful balls up field.

The sacking of Gunn after just one match this season (and Dublin made his opinion on that clear last night) was greeted with euphoria by the lifers on here and I was dismayed by the malice and spite shown to Gunn by so many of the posters. No chivalry shown by Knights Templar banner waving Beausant either. Equally, the appointment of Lambert was greeted as though he was some kind of footballing messiah. Of course, no one wants Lambert to fail (this silly suggestion was made on the MB today) but for me the jury is out on Lambert and I will judge him in December. Sadly, Gunn was not given that luxury, the opportunity to demonstrate what a good (or bad) manager he might have been with the squad of players that he selected in the summer. Not only that but IMHO his treatment by the club and the claims made about him were shoddy and shabby in the extreme. I shan''t forget his treatment for a long time and my "relationship" with the club has subtly changed and I suspect many other fans feel the same way.

[/quote]

So the fact Russell was injured,you would still have him on the bench!

In a previous post you say "lets move on " then at the first chance out come BG banners and flag waving.

Gunn didn''t sign Lappin Grant did  and Grant as a manager was rubbish.

Of Gunns 12 signings how many played last night? (4/5).

Bob please move on this Gunn love affair is getting daft(nearly as bad as Nutty and Worthy) I will await that response.

The defence looks more solid than for a couple of seasons. discipline has been installed. Formation,when not cripled by injury looks good.

None of this appeared under Gunn.

I have no spite or malice for BG ,in fact I wish him all the best in what ever new job he gets.

Great post mate, and I agree, I saw the game exactly how you did.  The Hughes injury changed the game completely and we lost our cutting edge, it''s a shame that our squad couldn''t cope with 3 injuries, but name any team that would be able to play as effectively when they lose 3 key players.As to Bob Franklin, and his ridiculous views on Gunn, I think we''ve all said it many a time that his sacking was the right decision.  To claim that he didn''t get a chance is unbelievable, when it was under his management that we were relegated.  His ineptitude when it came to tactics was shocking, and it is clear that is wasn''t only the fans who realised this in the end.  Bob, you need to remove your head from Mr. Gunn''s derrier and look at the new dawn.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Excellent post Mr. B, as always.

Did you think fitness had anything to do with the performance? It just struck me that the early pressure seemed to tail off, even before the (unfortunately crucial) subs. Or could this be a problem with having too many youngsters in, who can''t pace themselves / get into positions where they don''t have to exhaust themselves? It seems to me that Grant Holt isn''t the fittest player, but he knows when & where to make his contribution most effectively.

[/quote]

I think fitness is a major factor, ron. One of the apparent reasons for Gunn''s departure was the "holiday camp" approach to preseason, and I think we''re paying the price of it now. To me a good preseason is the key to success or failure, because the hard yards that you do in that early stage can''t be replicated when the games are coming thick and fast. Preseason training is totally different to match fitness in that it builds stamina rather than explosiveness, but it''s what gets you through a November mudbath when others are wilting.

[/quote]

Well, that one is a good observation.

But on the main matter, I didn''t see the match. but followed the Sporting Life text commentary as I often do. Basic but tends to be faster and more reliable than the BBC. Their judgement for every single 10 minute segment was that ''MK Dons just have the edge'''' and the key player identified for every single 10 minute segment was an MK Dons player. Now I have never ever seen that before -  not under the depths of Worthy, Grant, Roeder nor Gunn.

Unless they relied on their quoits or boxing reporter or an alien from one of those alternative universes, one suspects that they have a view of the case that you and your sympathsisers did not see?

What do you think?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Beauseant"]

Did you think fitness had anything to do with the performance? It just struck me that the early pressure seemed to tail off, even before the (unfortunately crucial) subs. Or could this be a problem with having too many youngsters in, who can''t pace themselves / get into positions where they don''t have to exhaust themselves? It seems to me that Grant Holt isn''t the fittest player, but he knows when & where to make his contribution most effectively.

[/quote]

I think fitness is a major factor, ron. One of the apparent reasons for Gunn''s departure was the "holiday camp" approach to preseason, and I think we''re paying the price of it now. To me a good preseason is the key to success or failure, because the hard yards that you do in that early stage can''t be replicated when the games are coming thick and fast. Preseason training is totally different to match fitness in that it builds stamina rather than explosiveness, but it''s what gets you through a November mudbath when others are wilting.

[/quote]

But on the main matter, I didn''t see the match. but followed the Sporting Life text commentary as I often do. Basic but tends to be faster and more reliable than the BBC. Their judgement for every single 10 minute segment was that ''MK Dons just have the edge'''' and the key player identified for every single 10 minute segment was an MK Dons player. Now I have never ever seen that before -  not under the depths of Worthy, Grant, Roeder nor Gunn.

Unless they relied on their quoits or boxing reporter or an alien from one of those alternative universes, one suspects that they have a view of the case that you and your sympathsisers did not see?

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

I think you should try watching us every now and then [;)]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

I think you should try watching us every now and then [;)]

[/quote]

And it would be nice if you could suggest why the Sporting Life view was so different to yours. [;)]

OTBC

Ha ha [:D]

Well for a start I certainly wouldn''t have described MK Dongs as the dominant side during the first half an hour personally. And I would imagine that, if pressed, I would have nominated Martin as the key player for the first ten - considering he scored within 20 seconds; I would imagine that that was pretty influential in the way the game went from there. Anyway, very amusing comeback BBB [:D]  

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

I''m going to regret this...  I so know I am ...

Babes.. have you got a link to this txt commentary that you watched the game on? And if not could you tell us who the MKDons key player was for the first 10 minute segment?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Great post Beau.  Couldn`t watch it as was coming back from Germany but managed to catch most of it on R.Norfolk- sounded as though we were easily the better team until the injuries threw us.  Three key injuries, conceding a wonder freekick and a dodgy pen.in one game- that is pure bad luck.

My main concern is that we may well have seen a different result had some of our more senior reserve players been on the bench- are players being frozen out because Lambert has been told he has to cut the wage bill....??

[/quote]

No they are being frozen out because they are no better than the youngsters and other players Lambert has used at best and at worse are a total waste of space... the very same players who played a hand in our relegation and two of the 3 who you refer to also played in our most embarassing defeat ever a few short weeks ago.

Whichever way you look at it we are not going to be strong enough for automatic promotion or promotion through the play-offs... Lambert knows this and I know this but I dare say it will take the majority of you lot to become aware that we are a mid-table team the long drawn out painful way.

We are where we find ourselves purely due to the inability of our board members (with the exception of Foulger) to invest any money in to strengthening our squad.

Until Lambert is given money to spend we are just sitting around waiting for administration to happen.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Oi! Stop being logical, calm and sensible Beauseant, this is the Pink Un........we can''t have that pal![;)][/quote]Was the "ironic" smiley in itself ironic?  One does wonder.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Yes, we ended up having to go long on occasions simply to give the defence a breather, but we also continued to try to pass the ball.

[/quote]Not to disagree with an otherwise well thought-out post, but the possession stats last night were embarrassingly one-sided.  MK Dons had something like 62% first half, 67% 2nd half.  For all your observations, many of which I agree with, the fact is that however we tried to pass the ball - long, or short - once Hughes went off we never really threatened or put anything of note together.  Daley''s half-chance, which he bottled, was about as good as it got.  Otherwise, it was backs to the wall, defend deep in tight banks and cross your fingers, with Holt once more running himself ragged in an attempt to give us some breathing space.Essentially, I''m saying we weren''t as good as you say we were, and I didn''t think MK Dons were any great shakes as their home record before tonight implied.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

I''m going to regret this...  I so know I am ...

Babes.. have you got a link to this txt commentary that you watched the game on? And if not could you tell us who the MKDons key player was for the first 10 minute segment?

[/quote]

Here you are nige:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live_match/index_bet.auto?/opt/ASFapache/htdocs/site/football/live_match/186790.insdat

If that doesn''t work then go to Sporting Life/Football and scroll down (rather a long way these days!) to the Third division (League 1), then look for the score in Monday action on the rhs somewhere, then click either of the team names and hey presto, a pop-up.

The key player they identified for the first 10 min segment was Jason Puncheon - a bit strange that as they normally plump for a goalscorer.

You could also have a look at Mr Chopsy''s post.

See no regrets - I must be a pussy today.[:)]

OTBC

It''s a bit strange because this is what I read led up to the 10th minute, which is how I remember it too.

Milton Keynes Dons just have the edge. Key player: Jason Puncheon

Norwich throw-in taken by Jon Otsemobor

Milton Keynes Dons throw-in taken by Dean Lewington

Milton Keynes Dons throw-in taken by Dean Lewington

Norwich freekick taken by Michael Nelson

Foul on Korey Smith (Norwich) by Jason Puncheon (Milton Keynes Dons), free kick awarded

Norwich throw-in taken by Jon Otsemobor

Norwich corner from the Right taken by Stephen Hughes: the defence clears

Norwich throw-in taken by Adam Drury

Norwich throw-in taken by Adam Drury

Norwich freekick taken by Stephen Hughes

Foul on Adam Drury (Norwich) by Lewis Gobern (Milton Keynes Dons), free kick awarded

Norwich freekick taken by Jon Otsemobor

Foul on Luke Daley (Norwich) by Dean Lewington (Milton Keynes Dons), free kick awarded

Norwich corner from the Left taken by Simon Lappin

Norwich freekick taken by Jon Otsemobor

Foul on Grant Holt (Norwich) by Dean Lewington (Milton Keynes Dons), free kick awarded

Goal scored by Chris Martin (Norwich)

Shot by Chris Martin (Norwich) : on target

The match has kicked off

Perhaps he gave away the most impressive free kick?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Great post Beau.  Couldn`t watch it as was coming back from Germany but managed to catch most of it on R.Norfolk- sounded as though we were easily the better team until the injuries threw us.  Three key injuries, conceding a wonder freekick and a dodgy pen.in one game- that is pure bad luck.

My main concern is that we may well have seen a different result had some of our more senior reserve players been on the bench- are players being frozen out because Lambert has been told he has to cut the wage bill....??

[/quote]

Whichever way you look at it we are not going to be strong enough for automatic promotion or promotion through the play-offs... Lambert knows this and I know this but I dare say it will take the majority of you lot to become aware that we are a mid-table team the long drawn out painful way.

We are where we find ourselves purely due to the inability of our board members (with the exception of Foulger) to invest any money in to strengthening our squad.

Until Lambert is given money to spend we are just sitting around waiting for administration to happen.

[/quote]

Not sure if I agree with you on the Administration point Smudger but from what I''ve seen so far this season I would agree that we are nowhere near good enough for any of the promotion slots. A middle of the road very average League 1 outfit with no real prospect of finishing much above halfway is what I am expecting at the moment.

Lambert seems determined to freeze out 2 or 3 of the high earners so that signals to me that finances will be very tight. I don''t expect our owners will be able to dig very deep in the present economic climate so at best we are looking at a season of consolidation.

I shall continue to live in hope for all things yellow and green as indeed I have always done but I am not blind to the reality of the situation.

Here you are nige:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live_match/index_bet.auto?/opt/ASFapache/htdocs/site/football/live_match/186790.insdat

If that doesn''t work then go to Sporting Life/Football and scroll down (rather a long way these days!) to the Third division (League 1), then look for the score in Monday action on the rhs somewhere, then click either of the team names and hey presto, a pop-up.

The key player they identified for the first 10 min segment was Jason Puncheon - a bit strange that as they normally plump for a goalscorer.

OTBC

[/quote]Why on earth do you use that site? Basic is the understatement of the year. It''s even worse than the BBC text service. Can you not get Canaries World? Or one of the TV links? Or The Pink''un live text?Reminds me of a plot outline I once heard of, for "La Boheme".Can''t remember the rest, but the synopsis for the Last Act was:"Mimi Dies"

OTBC

[/quote]

I''ve got no argument with that Bly. As soon as I saw the trainer signalling for a substitution while attending Hughes I knew we would be hanging on and probably lose. You know my feelings, I''ve posted the stats. I know you don''t agree but you can add 1-0 while Hughes was playing and 0-2 without him.

One change I''ve noticed since Lambert took over is we do defend better as a team. I think that is reflected by the MKD shots on target not being representative of their far superior possession percentage.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure if I agree with you on the Administration point Smudger but from what I''ve seen so far this season I would agree that we are nowhere near good enough for any of the promotion slots. A middle of the road very average League 1 outfit with no real prospect of finishing much above halfway is what I am expecting at the moment.

Lambert seems determined to freeze out 2 or 3 of the high earners so that signals to me that finances will be very tight. I don''t expect our owners will be able to dig very deep in the present economic climate so at best we are looking at a season of consolidation.

I shall continue to live in hope for all things yellow and green as indeed I have always done but I am not blind to the reality of the situation.

[/quote]

With regards to the possibility of administration Ricardo, I am merely passing on the thoughts of a well respected club employee that was given to me over the last week or so.

No I will not be naming that source... and quite frankly I don''t care if anybody believes it or not because I believe what the individual said and he was pretty specific about what was said in terms of what we as a club would need to do this season in order to avoid it.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Here you are nige:

OTBC

[/quote]

Why on earth do you use that site? Basic is the understatement of the year. It''s even worse than the BBC text service. Can you not get Canaries World? Or one of the TV links? Or The Pink''un live text?

Reminds me of a plot outline I once heard of, for "La Boheme".

Can''t remember the rest, but the synopsis for the Last Act was:

"Mimi Dies"

[/quote]

I usually run Sporting Life, BBC and Pink''un in parallel.

I find the BBC much more relable this year and the new Pink''un thing is quite good.

But the Sporting Life (quickest and most reliable) I keep in the background as backup for when the more illustrious competition fails!!!

OTBC

Smudger, just out of curiousity does the "well respected club employee" work as a steward in the Lower Barclay?

I''m just wondering if you were talking to the same person as WAY.

[quote user="Metatron"]Smudger, just out of curiousity does the "well respected club employee" work as a steward in the Lower Barclay?

I''m just wondering if you were talking to the same person as WAY.[/quote]It''s hardly the Finance Director is it?

[quote user="Metatron"]Smudger, just out of curiousity does the "well respected club employee" work as a steward in the Lower Barclay?

I''m just wondering if you were talking to the same person as WAY.[/quote]Come on we all know Jerry is a fraud [;)]

[quote user="Metatron"]Smudger, just out of curiousity does the "well respected club employee" work as a steward in the Lower Barclay? I''m just wondering if you were talking to the same person as WAY.[/quote]

No

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Metatron"]Smudger, just out of curiousity does the "well respected club employee" work as a steward in the Lower Barclay? I''m just wondering if you were talking to the same person as WAY.[/quote]

It''s hardly the Finance Director is it?
[/quote]

Maybe and Maybe not... but I am pretty sure that said person has a pretty good idea about what state of affairs the clubs finances might be in.