Sign in to follow this  
Giallanza

Pink Un name origin?

[quote user="canarytom"]If you had googled it, you wouldn''t have looked so silly[/quote]

But that''s cheating and not reliable according to some.

You''re supposed to know those things. Otherwise..............

OTBC

I tried wikipedia and according to that the pink un has ceased as a newspaper, hence why I asked on here!

Now that I know that is was so called becasue the colour of its paper, does anyone know why pink paper was used?

[quote user="Giallanza"]

I tried wikipedia and according to that the pink un has ceased as a newspaper, hence why I asked on here!

Now that I know that is was so called becasue the colour of its paper, does anyone know why pink paper was used?

[/quote]Like the Financial Times, I think it was simply to make it stand out from amongst any left over dailies or evening papers on the newsagents'' shelves. It contained only sport coverage and so was a different paper from the rest. Not too long ago coaches would bring supporters in from the far west of the county and carry the Pink Un back after the game to the newsagents en route. This meant you could get a copy in your local by 7pm. In the days before local radio - not to mention internet - it was quite a thing to see the report and check the table.

[quote user="Giallanza"]

[/quote]

cost.. it seems they wanted to keep costs down even back in the "good" ole days!

jas :)

Don''t think it was anything to do with cost, as i think it was a nation wide company that ran the paper. Probably in the days before Archant, but i remember in the 80''s Hull had the Yellow''un, Chester area had the Blue''un, and of course the Binners thhe Green''un, all printed on coloured paper.

I can remember it well, by the time you walked up the rouen road to the old castle car park [happy days!], you could get your hands on a copy. Used to sit in me dads car with the pink ''un and fish and chips from the little chippy near the murderers pub [was it valori''s?]. The ink was still wet sometimes! [ha ha]. Great paper, sadly missed

[quote user="Congo Canary"]Don''t think it was anything to do with cost, as i think it was a nation wide company that ran the paper. Probably in the days before Archant, but i remember in the 80''s Hull had the Yellow''un, Chester area had the Blue''un, and of course the Binners thhe Green''un, all printed on coloured paper.[/quote]Er, no. It wasn''t a nationwide company that ran the Pink ''Un. The fact that other towns had similar papers was nothing to do with the Norwich Pink ''Un, which was always part of the EDP group, no matter what it was called.As to the question of cost, this is frightfully nerdy, but from somewhere in the recesses of my memory I seem to recall that all newsprint is naturally grey, and has to be dyed, and it is actually more expensive to dye it white than a bright colour.The other cost saving was that a cheaper form of newsprint was generally used for football papers, compared to that for the flagship daily papers. I said it was nerdy.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Congo Canary"]Don''t think it was anything to do with cost, as i think it was a nation wide company that ran the paper. Probably in the days before Archant, but i remember in the 80''s Hull had the Yellow''un, Chester area had the Blue''un, and of course the Binners thhe Green''un, all printed on coloured paper.[/quote]

Er, no. It wasn''t a nationwide company that ran the Pink ''Un. The fact that other towns had similar papers was nothing to do with the Norwich Pink ''Un, which was always part of the EDP group, no matter what it was called.

As to the question of cost, this is frightfully nerdy, but from somewhere in the recesses of my memory I seem to recall that all newsprint is naturally grey, and has to be dyed, and it is actually more expensive to dye it white than a bright colour.

The other cost saving was that a cheaper form of newsprint was generally used for football papers, compared to that for the flagship daily papers.

I said it was nerdy.
[/quote]

I really don''t think cost came into it much - the original idea particularly in the North where big teams overlap circulation areas was to make your paper stand out and be distinguishable from a rival - there  were Green Uns and Blue Uns as well.  Massive, massive revenue earners in the 50s but in decline ever since.  Not all were on coloured paper.  High cost of distribution another nail in the coffin particularly in widespread areas - at it''s peak the Newcastle Pink Un was selling as many as 800,000 copies every Saturday.

[quote user="Giallanza"]A random quesion but does anyone know where the name "pink un" came from?[/quote]It was invented by Oscar Wilde as a means of transmitting homosexual messages encoded within a seemingly masculine newspaper dealing with a "real man''s" subject.  Wilde, a master of irony, saw this would be a cunning ruse to let the then outlawed homosexual movement transmit messages to each other.  For instance, modern-day sentences such as "Cureton tried to burst into the box but was unable to finish and so Paul Lambert pulled him off" are derived exclusively from some of Wilde''s more dubious practices.

[quote user="canarytom"]In some regions it was printed on cardboard. In these areas it was known as the hard''un![/quote]

CanaryTom shoots, HE SCORES!  You are the limit, man. Funny stuff again![Y]