Sign in to follow this  
Account Closed

Glen Roeder and Team Ominously Silent !!!!!!

No Keegan like tears or Redknap /Alardice like words of bitterness reported to my knowledge.Is this owing to the the tiger licking his wounds syndrome, legal counsel advice, or plain vanilla Peter Grant style honourable and dignified retreat. Not a golden handshake that''s for sure- or is it?Like every other Joe Public I doubt  the full  truth of what really happened will emerge but just for the record I have every sympathy for Glen the man with no cash despatched in a flash.Will NCFC have Nigel Worthington type financial compensation on the books for next season to further drain the coffers?Does anyone have any rumours on this be they unsubstantiated or unfounded?

It would not suprise anyone if he is still being payed by the club.

Therefore it would not be in his best interests to say anything bad if he wants to keep collecting the money.

Most working contracts have a disrepute section which can be grounds for early termination.

It would not suprise anyone if he is still being paid by the club

For some reason I had not considered that at all. Yes, in my view you have given the most likely reason for the silence.

What on earth is ominous about his silence? I''d say it is quite benign and only to be expected. He would almost certainly be entitled to a year''s salary when he left Norwich - he did not resign remember, he was sacked.  Norwich would have been entitled to have paid him slightly commuted sum if it was all paid on his departure - but we are strapped for cash and as has already been said, it would make more sense to just keep paying his salary as normal and spread the cash and keep some control over the situation. There were reports that he was paid just under £1m when he departed Newcastle. Nice work if you can get it. As for sympathy - you are obviously far more warm hearted than me, for I have none whatsoever. What pray, will you feel for Gunn when he finally loses a game? I do not believe Gunn & Co have been given a vastly increased budget (ha!) and Roeder gave me the unhappiest 12 months of my club I can ever recall in 40 years. Like those city bankers, he has been well rewarded for failure. Good riddance.

As for sympathy - you are obviously far more warm hearted............................... OK Binky -  For sure none whatsoever for his financial state. We are talking football here where only bread and butter supporters have to earn their pay and forgo bonuses for old rope.My sympathy be for  the absolute failure label that he will carry in perpetuity like a millstone around his neck . Second or third time around for him so bouncebackability may be somewhat injured.What I respected him for was being his own man making decisions against the run of popular concensus. He injected an energy into the club and raked out costly dead wood personel.We are still riding on that dynamism which he ignited, heaven only knows that the club needed awake up call and a mighty push in any direction is preferred to stagnation.Was he was good for the club, well at the time I believe he was.How many berated him after 4 games - Hero to zero and so it goes on....Well done Brian for astonishing me and many others with the results achieved to date. I still believe you are a serious mistake long term,  however if you prove me wrong for once than I will be the most happiest bunny.Won''t comment on the city bankers, they are in a pigs at the trough league of their own. Greed and obscene siphoning off of the nations wealth is parr for the course there however to be fair politicians enjoy more generous expense allowances in addition.

[quote user="Getalife"]
As for sympathy - you are obviously far more warm hearted..........

OK Binky -  For sure none whatsoever for his financial state. We are talking football here where only bread and butter supporters have to earn their pay and forgo bonuses for old rope.
My sympathy be for  the absolute failure label that he will carry in perpetuity like a millstone around his neck . Second or third time around for him so bouncebackability may be somewhat injured.
What I respected him for was being his own man making decisions against the run of popular concensus. He injected an energy into the club and raked out costly dead wood personel.
We are still riding on that dynamism which he ignited, heaven only knows that the club needed awake up call and a mighty push in any direction is preferred to stagnation.
Was he was good for the club, well at the time I believe he was.
How many berated him after 4 games - Hero to zero and so it goes on....

Well done Brian for astonishing me and many others with the results achieved to date. I still believe you are a serious mistake long term,  however if you prove me wrong for once than I will be the most happiest bunny.

Won''t comment on the city bankers, they are in a pigs at the trough league of their own. Greed and obscene siphoning off of the nations wealth is parr for the course there however to be fair politicians enjoy more generous expense allowances in addition.[/quote]

Roeder can rot for all I care, thank God his damage to the club is now being counterd by Gunny.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Roeder can rot for all I care, thank God his damage to the club is now being counterd by Gunny.

[/quote]

Or you can look at it the other way - Gunny is now reaping the benefits of the good footballers that Roeder made a point of bringing in. God, this pantomime villian stuff is so tiresome. Yes, he was a prat. But Grant and Hamilton both did far more damage to the club than he did. His biggest crime was offending the fans.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Or you can look at it the other way - Gunny is now reaping the benefits of the good footballers that Roeder made a point of bringing in. God, this pantomime villian stuff is so tiresome. Yes, he was a prat. But Grant and Hamilton both did far more damage to the club than he did. His biggest crime was offending the fans.

[/quote]

All thats no good Mook, if you upset and lose the said good footballers support is it?

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

All thats no good Mook, if you upset and lose the said good footballers support is it?

[/quote]

You have to look at Roeders man management skills then dont you mook.

Sympathy for Glenn? Are you kidding? He couldnt motivate a team of under 10s. Yes he didnt have much cash to splash but he couldnt get the best out of what he had. He was rude, arrogant and your comments amaze me. Good riddence.

[quote user="Getalife"]As for sympathy - you are obviously far more warm hearted............................... OK Binky -  For sure none whatsoever for his financial state. We are talking football here where only bread and butter supporters have to earn their pay and forgo bonuses for old rope.My sympathy be for  the absolute failure label that he will carry in perpetuity like a millstone around his neck . .... He injected an energy into the club.....We are still riding on that dynamism which he ignited, .[/quote]See! - You are warm hearted!! He was his own worse enemy - in fact I could believe he deliberately engineered his own dismissal when I''m really in a bad mood. Does he really care if he never manages a club again? He brought in some good players - Clingan IMO is quite superb - but that is not even 50% of the management package required and expected on his salary. The energy to which you refer is not much good when the players have to play under a cloud of poisonous gas. Well done Gunny & Co for blowing it away. (As another poster said so well at the time, we now have our club back).

My recent redundancy (still unresolved) has an compromise agreement attached to it. What that basically means is, that if accept the terms and conditions of my rendancy I cannot say anything against the company. So I cannot go to their local paper and say they are a bunch of ******* useless *******.

Perhaps Glenn had the same, still if I had the alleged £700000 I think I''d keep my gob shut too !

[;)]

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

My recent redundancy (still unresolved) has an compromise agreement attached to it. What that basically means is, that if accept the terms and conditions of my rendancy I cannot say anything against the company. So I cannot go to their local paper and say they are a bunch of ******* useless *******.

Perhaps Glenn had the same, still if I had the alleged £700000 I think I''d keep my gob shut too !

[;)]

[/quote]

Yes, confidentiality agreement in return for compensation covering remaining period of contract. This would have been part of the original Contract of Employment.

Who gives a flying monkey finger about what Glenn would have to say anyway? He''s gone, Gunny''s in charge, let''s move on and support Gunny.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]Who gives a flying monkey finger about what Glenn would have to say anyway? He''s gone, Gunny''s in charge, let''s move on and support Gunny.
[/quote]

Yeah, let''s all get lives, get over it and move on. I got so sick of posters saying this whenever Huckerby posts started. "he''s gone, get over it, move on, blah blah". Just because some posters don''t want to carry on discussing a particular subject is no reason to tell them not to. If you''re not interested don''t read the thread. Simple as. And, actually, I for one would be interested to hear Roeder''s views now that he has left the club, what promises were made by the Board when he was appointed, what support he received during his tenure etc etc. Could be quite illuminating.

It''s very rare for any sacked manager to speak out about the club he has left. What would he have to gain? It would most likely sound like sour grapes, and earn a reputation for being a troublesome blabbermouth. If you were a potential employer would you want someone who had publicly slagged off their previous firm? It would have to make you hesitate. Dignified silence is always the best policy in these situations, with or without confidentiality clauses.  

The same goes for players. The only two who have publicly expressed any criticism of Roeder are Huckerby and Cureton. It''s no coincidence that they are both approaching retirement, and even they have been very cautious in what they have said. Other players know that no club likes a loudmouth, and you never know what the future holds - paths could cross again.  

[quote user="Mazy Run"]

It''s very rare for any sacked manager to speak out about the club he has left. What would he have to gain? It would most likely sound like sour grapes, and earn a reputation for being a troublesome blabbermouth. If you were a potential employer would you want someone who had publicly slagged off their previous firm? It would have to make you hesitate. Dignified silence is always the best policy in these situations, with or without confidentiality clauses.  

The same goes for players. The only two who have publicly expressed any criticism of Roeder are Huckerby and Cureton. It''s no coincidence that they are both approaching retirement, and even they have been very cautious in what they have said. Other players know that no club likes a loudmouth, and you never know what the future holds - paths could cross again.  

[/quote]

What you say in your first para is quite right although there are exceptions and, in any case, it isn''t necessarily a question of "slagging off", ex-managers can make calm, constructive criticism without compromising their future employment prospects. However, this was not the issue I took exception to. Another poster responded to this thread saying "who gives a flying fig about what Roeder might say" and I responded saying, actually, I would........ even though it is unlikely that anything will be said.  

Spot on Mook, have said this all along!

There are to many City fans out there who have very short memories!

Iv''e been watching since 1969 and under Hamilton and Grant it was the worst by far, Roeders public relations was poor thats it!

Remember Gunn had been recruiting players for Roeder and now he is getting the benefit from it all, i''m sure the players Gunn has brought in would have been the same players what Roeder would have wanted.

If Gunn will be in charge next season thats when you shall see his team......

OTBC since 1969

R.I.P. Dad 1939-2008

spm2866  -Roeders public relations was poor thats it!............You are sooooooooooooo right.The sole reason given so far for his demise is objectionable personality.For me crude outspokeness is preferred to duplicity and patronising forked tongues. Undoubtedly he upset quite a few unbelievers and some players along the way however being objectionable and disrespectful to others whilst deplorable is conveniently tolerated if results are promising. (Joe Kinnear watch out you days are numbered.)Sacked for the dismissive attitude  metered out in one heated exchange toward a few passionate  shareholder fans?  More likely  a  fractious personal relationship with the author of the ''Norfolk way'' and fed to the baying crowd to qwell the militants for a while.Look at the personalities of the successful managers and tell me if you see one who would throw a boot at Beckham in a team debriefing . Show me one who has been knighted for bending with the wind and tipping his cap to the prominent board members of his club. So polite is this grump to all who tangle with him that he is nicknamed ''The Hairdryer'' owing to the explosive hot air from his nostrils.A true Mancunian?  Born and bred in Glasgow Scotland,  that''s called the ''Manchester Way'' and it gets you to consistently lead the Premier league.

Geta - Ferguson is the exception I suggest. If you are implying Roeder could have achieved his sort of success in holding the dressing room - then you and I are on different planets. Some managers can only achieve that by buying in new blood regularly and handing out pay rises). If I was a player I''d rather be under the management of Arsenal,  Liverpool, Everton - or Bryan Gunn - than Man U. When Roeder left we had little hope. We have lots now.

Does anyone really care about the idiots opinion cause he certainly talked a better game than what his results were when he was here!

Hes probably working out what to spend his huge ridiculous compensation on!

A painful error in our history!

"The sole reason given so far for his demise is objectionable personality." - ... well that and the terrible results!

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"The sole reason given so far for his demise is objectionable personality." - ... well that and the terrible results!
[/quote]

Roedernowhere was not sacked because of his horrible personality end of!

He was sacked cause he did not produce the goods in a results based business!

Though I''m sure his bad persona played a big part in his ineptness!

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

[;)]

[/quote]

If you believe that about your firm, and yet you weren''t good enough to keep..............? Not gonna help with finding a new job, is it.

[quote user="Dorty Loons"]

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]Who gives a flying monkey finger about what Glenn would have to say anyway? He''s gone, Gunny''s in charge, let''s move on and support Gunny. [/quote]

Yeah, let''s all get lives, get over it and move on. I got so sick of posters saying this whenever Huckerby posts started. "he''s gone, get over it, move on, blah blah". Just because some posters don''t want to carry on discussing a particular subject is no reason to tell them not to. If you''re not interested don''t read the thread. Simple as. And, actually, I for one would be interested to hear Roeder''s views now that he has left the club, what promises were made by the Board when he was appointed, what support he received during his tenure etc etc. Could be quite illuminating.

[/quote]If you read my original post I''m not dictating what people can and can''t talk about. I''m saying what Glenn would have to say is not worth paying attention to. And why should it? What exactly would he say? That he was unlucky? That he had faith he''d turn it around? That he''s built a great squad and backroom staff? We all know what he''d say. There''s no way he''d talk about promises between him and the board because that''s private - and if he had a problem, he''d have walked out himself. It''s stupid to think otherwise.Glenn failed here not because of promises, not because of support but because of his own failings. Simple as. Why exactly you''d want to listen to him spout off the same excuses he has been giving us these last few weeks, I don''t know.

There was a clause in his contract stating if the team was below a certain position by a certain time, that he could be sacked with a smaller compensation package.Which the club thankfully activated!!!

[quote user="ncfc4eva"]

There was a clause in his contract stating if the team was below a certain position by a certain time, that he could be sacked with a smaller compensation package.Which the club thankfully activated!!!

[/quote]

Untrue, I believe.

Such clauses, if such ever existed, were outlawed in the Standard Model Contract of the League Managers Association of which Mr Roeder was and remains a member of.  As must now be Big Bryan because he has to join otherwise he can''t be your Manager. (It is just a formality).

Closed shop, old chap.

Many managers are pretty stupid but they aren''t that stupid. [+o(]

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="1st Wazzock"]

[;)]

[/quote]

If you believe that about your firm, and yet you weren''t good enough to keep..............? Not gonna help with finding a new job, is it.

[/quote]

I had to laugh reading this, you don''t know the circumstances and I can''t tell you ! [:#]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Does anyone really care about the idiots opinion cause he certainly talked a better game than what his results were when he was here!

Hes probably working out what to spend his huge ridiculous compensation on!

A painful error in our history!

[/quote]

He may well be working out what to spend the money on in his spare time but last week he was Oop North where his elderly Mum is extremely ill.

By unhappy coincidence Delia is concentrating on her elderly Mum who is in a very similar condition - i.e possibly not long for this mortal coil.