Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Simon Lappin - tomorrow

Glenn moaning about how thin the squad is - how we will have to field youth players on the bench just so we can reach our full quota of subs, and yet still no mention of Simon Lappin!

Tomorrow is an ideal opportunity for him to be given the chance he deserves, even if only on the bench. We can name 7 subs tomorrow - can Glenn really tell us Lappin isn''t going to be in the 18 best available players tomorrow? I personally would start him in the left ahead of Bell, but thats for another thread!

Another Lappin rant from WWWB I know, but surely Glenn must ee sense eventually!

Agreed ideal chance to give him a go. I can''t really see what he has done to incur Roeders wrath. Bertrand and Omozusi seems to get away with mistakes, or are his glossed over because he bought him in??

I saw Roeder has stated that he is down to 13-14 fit first team players tomorrow ,a quick scout through the squad shows a few more than this.Obviously Lappin will not play again for City and he needs to move for his career,but how many others might as well pack their bags?

has rodent ever actually come out and talk about lappin and why he doesn''t play him... i used to think he was a good player for us...

>And he cant be worse than Omozusi was against forest

I''d bet you a tenner he could

He was Ok at left back, pretty poor at left midfield. Can''t see him setting the world alight at centre half.

What next? A campaign to bring back Ian Murray?!

Roeder nowhere playing Lappin would be him backing down and he wouldn''t ever do that!

Lappin would probably have done more than Bertrand over the course of a season and is far superior to that useless article Gibbs we had from Arsenal last season!

[quote user="paul ncfc"]Obviously Lappin will not play again for City and he needs to move for his career,but how many others might as well pack their bags?[/quote]Interesting that Lappin was given the green light by Roeder and the club to move back to Scotland, but Lappin was unwilling to consider a pay cut and would rather sit in our reserves grumbling than going to play week in, week out at another club.This is exactly the problem Roeder has described when trying to get players in, in that many Premiership players would rather sit in the reserves collecting their weekly wage, than consider a pay cut to join a CCC side, or consider a loan and actually have to do something for their money.Sad indictment of football and society in general I''m afraid.Indy.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]I personally would start him in the left ahead of Bell, but thats for another thread! Another Lappin rant from WWWB I know, but surely Glenn must ee sense eventually![/quote]

I agree, but I wouldn''t hold you''re breath mate.

Not a chance - EVER - unless and until Roeder goes. Logic and common sense doesn''t com einto Roeder''s thinking. meanwhile he''s quoted this morning on Fotheringham:

"Mark Fotheringham has been praised for the way he has handled supporters'' criticism of his performances. The City midfielder had been due to return to the starting line-up at Charlton this afternoon until he came off second best in a training ground tackle with Matty Pattison. Fotheringham has asked to travel with the squad, leaving Glenn Roeder, who had planned to team him up with Sammy Clingan in the middle, singing his praises. “I get a bit disappointed with the reaction of our supporters to him,” said the City manager.“If only they knew how much cared. He has poor games like the others have poor games. When others have poor games they don''t get the criticism he gets.

“He''s a real club man. He came in and said, ''I''m struggling, I don''t think I can make this, but can I come? I want to be there when we win''. “There aren''t many of them do that in the modern game - many players would be more than happy to stay at home at the weekend.“He''s a very good human being and of late with those little bits of time he''s had on the pitch I think he''s coming back to some form. "

All good stuff and highly commendable. But given the way Lappin''s been treated and the way he''s conducted himself, he''s a contender for player of the year IMO. Oh, I''ve heard Lappin reported as saying he wants to play for Norwich and fight his way back into the first team, but I have never heard him "grumbling" (Indy) - quite the reverse. He got no signing on fee (as he came for a virtual free) and if he likes the club and the area, why should he take a pay cut and leave? Especially when there is no good reason for him to be excluded from any consideration - and the probablility that the only bad one will be gone in a few months!

[quote user="Binky"]

Not a chance - EVER - unless and until Roeder goes. Logic and common sense doesn''t com einto Roeder''s thinking. meanwhile he''s quoted this morning on Fotheringham:

"Mark Fotheringham has been praised for the way he has handled supporters'' criticism of his performances. The City midfielder had been due to return to the starting line-up at Charlton this afternoon until he came off second best in a training ground tackle with Matty Pattison. Fotheringham has asked to travel with the squad, leaving Glenn Roeder, who had planned to team him up with Sammy Clingan in the middle, singing his praises. “I get a bit disappointed with the reaction of our supporters to him,” said the City manager.“If only they knew how much cared. He has poor games like the others have poor games. When others have poor games they don''t get the criticism he gets.

“He''s a real club man. He came in and said, ''I''m struggling, I don''t think I can make this, but can I come? I want to be there when we win''. “There aren''t many of them do that in the modern game - many players would be more than happy to stay at home at the weekend.“He''s a very good human being and of late with those little bits of time he''s had on the pitch I think he''s coming back to some form. "

All good stuff and highly commendable. But given the way Lappin''s been treated and the way he''s conducted himself, he''s a contender for player of the year IMO. Oh, I''ve heard Lappin reported as saying he wants to play for Norwich and fight his way back into the first team, but I have never heard him "grumbling" (Indy) - quite the reverse. He got no signing on fee (as he came for a virtual free) and if he likes the club and the area, why should he take a pay cut and leave? Especially when there is no good reason for him to be excluded from any consideration - and the probablility that the only bad one will be gone in a few months!

[/quote]well said mate, if i was lappin i''d sit tight in the knowledge that he''ll be here longer than roeder, fan''s eye in the edp today was spot on, roeder must go whatever the result today, just in case though come on charlton!

If he isn''t involved in the squad today, I think it will only raise people''s awareness if Roeder''s utter distain for the bloke.

Counting down to the team is announced, and I won''t be happy if he isn''t involved.

[quote user="jetstream"]>And he cant be worse than Omozusi was against forest I''d bet you a tenner he could He was Ok at left back, pretty poor at left midfield. Can''t see him setting the world alight at centre half. What next? A campaign to bring back Ian Murray?![/quote]Sorry but rubbish i watched him play left back against Gorleston in the preseason friendly he was turned inside out out by a player who plays in the same sunday league as myself,he was that bad i felt embarrassed for him.

I was being charitable to the OP - I should have put "He was ''ok'' at left back".

In relative terms it wasn''t great (hence my comment about Ian Murray). Let''s not forget that he was on of the ''Plymouth 6'' who Roeder said would never play for NCFC again.

Mind you, I was there when he scored that fabulous free-kick at Luton so he did have some skill, however his overall game was lacking.

I think Lappin is rubbish apart from dead ball taking but we have Bell to do that already and Bell looks like a better all round player so I think its fine.

[quote user="jetstream"]I was being charitable to the OP - I should have put "He was ''ok'' at left back". In relative terms it wasn''t great (hence my comment about Ian Murray). Let''s not forget that he was on of the ''Plymouth 6'' who Roeder said would never play for NCFC again. Mind you, I was there when he scored that fabulous free-kick at Luton so he did have some skill, however his overall game was lacking.[/quote]''Fabulous'' it was down the keepers throat he should have saved it,but yes it was a vital 6 pointer.please don''t take this as a personal attack on yourself as it may seem,but Lappin aint good enough.   

I didn''t take it personally, don''t worry!

I''m basically agreeing with you - Lappin could take a good free kick and hit some decent shots with his left foot but overall he wasn''t good enough.

This campaign to get him back in the squad is ridiculous and just shows how short people''s memories are.