Sign in to follow this  
Shifty Sid

AGM - Just got back

[quote user="cityangel"]

It was the 2nd question when a man asked him what happened to the strong athletic players  Roeder had previously said he would need to make us a successfull team. Roeder replied very aggressively '''' I must have missed your tenure with England''''

[/quote]

I just wish someone was witty/brave enough to go back to Roeder and ask him if HE was the reason for years of underachievement at our national level too!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="cityangel"]

It was the 2nd question when a man asked him what happened to the strong athletic players  Roeder had previously said he would need to make us a successfull team. Roeder replied very aggressively '''' I must have missed your tenure with England''''

[/quote]

lol... he should of responded back... "I must of missed yours too.... but I do remember you being rather p!ss poor at Watford, Burnley and Newcastle... things seem to be following a similar pattern here don''t they Mr Roeder???"  [:D]

[/quote]

I think he was involved with the coaching at one stage wasn''t he...might have been U21''s or something. I can''t stand Roeder now. Far too arrogant; he''ll lose the team soon and all fans if he hasn''t already!

Have not had a chance to read all of the above but agree with the first couple of posts summing it up.

Not sure there is much of a plan how to get out of this mess other than hope an investor turns up. When asked what his strategy is MWJ basically said you can''t compete without money and we don''t have enough money or something along those lines. Everyone then expected him to ellaborate but he stopped and sat there. They all appeared very downbeat.

Roeder probably got more stick than his performance as manager deserved but he brought it on himself by stating at the outset that at the end of the day we may not like it but his opinion is the only one at the football club that matters as he is the manager and then with his outright sarcastic response to the first critical question. He then later went on to bemoan the fact that the players generation "don''t take constructive criticism well." Tactically i still think he''s one of our better managers but his arrogance is astounding and he appears to be a complete and utter ...........

As for the PC/Investor situation I don''t know what to make of it although I find it very strange that they have been unable to talk about it until now and then at the AGM suddenly claim to have a written communication confirming no offer will be made. If so, why wait til now to tell us? Certainly took the wind out of quite a few sails right at the outset. If true then at least it draws a line under the episode and clearly PC has a few questions to answer and I for one would have to hold my hands up and say i was wrong. Is it another Dean Ashton''s groin scan though? Certainly if I was "really excited" about a potential investor i might have at least met the guy!

[quote user="Barclayman (artist formerly known as Barclayboy)"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]Also just back, CA has made copious notes of all the questions. In a nutshell there is no investment, Cullum never made an offer. Most of the questions were directed at Roeder who was arrogant and was roundly booed on several occasions. He eventually apologised but it was about as sincere as I am in offering my best wishes to the scum. A couple of people thanked Delia and Michael for what they had put into the club, but every question (and I mean every question ) was anti and critical. Several on Huckerby. I will leave all that to CA!! Lots of hands up against re electing Doncaster. All in all I summarised that we are managed by a very arrogant man who thinks he''s above everyone else and the Board haven''t got a clue what to do for the future (they were asked what their long term strategy was and MWJ ended up asking the crowd what they would do). Clueless and penniless. I do admit to having some sympathy for Delia, Michael and Mr Foulger, their hearts are in the right place but they have made too many errors and I am afraid a very big one appointing our current manager. Very worried. Positives - meeting Nutty - lovely to meet you at last. Oh and nice to catch up with lots of people I haven''t seen for a while, including Keith Roads. More power to your elbow, Keith. Oh and the drinks are so expensive we should have enough to persuade Lita to stay on another month.

Have to disagree with that one Gazza, as much as i dislike Roeder now nobody can deny he did a magnificent job last season. We were a complete shambles heading for League 1 and he totally turned things around. Remember the unbeaten run? Roeder was without doubt the right decision at the time, given our position and budget.
[/quote]

I think the misjudgement is keeping him for longer than needed. We should''ve  paid him well to come in and save us (done his hatchet job on a short term contract) and then thanked him and said goodbye. Roeder is very good at sorting out a mess, stopping the rot and stabalising. I''m not too sure about his credentials at motivating a team and taking it forward.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

Regarding Roeder, am I the only one who thinks he''s right in what he''s said? So he was arrogant and sarcastic to a punter - boo hoo, get over yourselves!  He''s a football manager, not a bloody publicist.  If you can''t take it, don''t dish it out.

Seriously, if Roeder has joined the list of recent NCFC managers who have criticised the fans for being overly-negative (PG did it, and so did Worthy towards the end), shouldn''t that tell us more about ourselves as a group than him as a person? How many times does someone have to criticise you personally in your life before you begin to look to yourself and realise that maybe they were right after all? Its a difficult thing to take, criticism, but the best way is to learn from it and try to improve yourself.  Surely the arrogant ones are those who stubbornly refuse to admit that anything is wrong?

What would you rather Roeder had said? The usual Doomcaster-approved guff about "difficult times", etc.  Seems to me he''s simply determined to get on with the job in hand, however desperate it might seem at the moment.  Roeder''s last few jobs have been West Ham, Newcastle and now us - seems he just can''t escape the fans with delusions of grandeur.  Last season we were on the verge of League 1 and with no money over the summer Roeder has managed to pull us to... the verge of League 1? So the "quality" of player is better this term, but trying to turn NCFC around at this moment is a job that seems to be beyond any mortal man, such is the mess it is in from top to bottom.  Have the backroom problems affected the team and manager at all? I reckon so... Roeder''s probably just as keen on getting rid of Delia as the rest of us, deep down.

I find it incredible that people can go into the AGM thinking "rah rah rah, I''m going to give Delia and Doomy what for," then come out despising Roeder and seemingly having forgiven or forgotten what they went in for in the first place.  Whoever said football fans were fickle, eh?

Anyway, rant over...

[/quote]

I understand what your saying, but GR as manager has got to try everything in his ability to get the fans on board, the only real chance of success is with the fans behind the club. You say he''s not a publicist but a good manager realises he''s got to manage the fans through the media aswell as the team, he''s the guy who''s the figure head for success at the club and he''s the one who communicates with the public what is really happening on the playing decision side via the media. If he comes across as arrogant and bullish when decision that are going to be unpopular (rightly or wrongly) with the fans are made (i.e the loans, Huckerby, Neil Adams and various players he seems to fall out with) then it''s inevitable that he''s going to get stick if things dont go exactly to plan, which in football they often dont.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

Regarding Roeder, am I the only one who thinks he''s right in what he''s said? So he was arrogant and sarcastic to a punter - boo hoo, get over yourselves!  He''s a football manager, not a bloody publicist.  If you can''t take it, don''t dish it out.

Seriously, if Roeder has joined the list of recent NCFC managers who have criticised the fans for being overly-negative (PG did it, and so did Worthy towards the end), shouldn''t that tell us more about ourselves as a group than him as a person? How many times does someone have to criticise you personally in your life before you begin to look to yourself and realise that maybe they were right after all? Its a difficult thing to take, criticism, but the best way is to learn from it and try to improve yourself.  Surely the arrogant ones are those who stubbornly refuse to admit that anything is wrong?

What would you rather Roeder had said? The usual Doomcaster-approved guff about "difficult times", etc.  Seems to me he''s simply determined to get on with the job in hand, however desperate it might seem at the moment.  Roeder''s last few jobs have been West Ham, Newcastle and now us - seems he just can''t escape the fans with delusions of grandeur.  Last season we were on the verge of League 1 and with no money over the summer Roeder has managed to pull us to... the verge of League 1? So the "quality" of player is better this term, but trying to turn NCFC around at this moment is a job that seems to be beyond any mortal man, such is the mess it is in from top to bottom.  Have the backroom problems affected the team and manager at all? I reckon so... Roeder''s probably just as keen on getting rid of Delia as the rest of us, deep down.

I find it incredible that people can go into the AGM thinking "rah rah rah, I''m going to give Delia and Doomy what for," then come out despising Roeder and seemingly having forgiven or forgotten what they went in for in the first place.  Whoever said football fans were fickle, eh?

Anyway, rant over...

[/quote]

Totally with you Evil Monkey.  Whilst he may not win many friends, we have a manager with balls.  He saved us from relegation and is getting on with his job.  Let''s get behind him and the club.

Christ Dicky, you would follow your leader over the top into sure death for no gain.Col H. Jones ring a bell?The time has come to question the authority of these leaders and mutiny!!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Also just back, CA has made copious notes of all the questions. In a nutshell there is no investment, Cullum never made an offer. Most of the questions were directed at Roeder who was arrogant and was roundly booed on several occasions. He eventually apologised but it was about as sincere as I am in offering my best wishes to the scum. A couple of people thanked Delia and Michael for what they had put into the club, but every question (and I mean every question ) was anti and critical. Several on Huckerby. I will leave all that to CA!! Lots of hands up against re electing Doncaster. All in all I summarised that we are managed by a very arrogant man who thinks he''s above everyone else and the Board haven''t got a clue what to do for the future (they were asked what their long term strategy was and MWJ ended up asking the crowd what they would do). Clueless and penniless. I do admit to having some sympathy for Delia, Michael and Mr Foulger, their hearts are in the right place but they have made too many errors and I am afraid a very big one appointing our current manager. Very worried. Positives - meeting Nutty - lovely to meet you at last. Oh and nice to catch up with lots of people I haven''t seen for a while, including Keith Roads. More power to your elbow, Keith. Oh and the drinks are so expensive we should have enough to persuade Lita to stay on another month.[/quote]

I''m glad to learn that Old Ratface was booed. It''s about time he faced a certain amout of hostility for his arrogant and sarcastic comments.

[quote user="Seaman Staines"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Also just back, CA has made copious notes of all the questions. In a nutshell there is no investment, Cullum never made an offer. Most of the questions were directed at Roeder who was arrogant and was roundly booed on several occasions. He eventually apologised but it was about as sincere as I am in offering my best wishes to the scum. A couple of people thanked Delia and Michael for what they had put into the club, but every question (and I mean every question ) was anti and critical. Several on Huckerby. I will leave all that to CA!! Lots of hands up against re electing Doncaster. All in all I summarised that we are managed by a very arrogant man who thinks he''s above everyone else and the Board haven''t got a clue what to do for the future (they were asked what their long term strategy was and MWJ ended up asking the crowd what they would do). Clueless and penniless. I do admit to having some sympathy for Delia, Michael and Mr Foulger, their hearts are in the right place but they have made too many errors and I am afraid a very big one appointing our current manager. Very worried. Positives - meeting Nutty - lovely to meet you at last. Oh and nice to catch up with lots of people I haven''t seen for a while, including Keith Roads. More power to your elbow, Keith. Oh and the drinks are so expensive we should have enough to persuade Lita to stay on another month.[/quote]

I''m glad to learn that Old Ratface was booed. It''s about time he faced a certain amout of hostility for his arrogant and sarcastic comments.

[/quote]

That alien word (AMOUT) should have been AMOUNT.

[quote user="old yellow bird"]OK, I''ll come out of the closet - I''m a Guardian reader. But every Norwich fan would do well to read today''s edition - the Sports section starts with the headline "I will struggle to sell Everton, admits Harris". The man who was named as having the faith and hopes of our board at last night''s AGM has his hands full. A big inside spread looks in more detail at the man with our future in his hands. Right at the end there is a one-liner -"many Championship clubs are losing money". Mr Harris has his hands full with Everton and Newcastle - I don''t think we rate very high on his list! To me the most shocking thing last night wasn''t Roeder''s so called rudeness - OK the man is abrasive and arrogant, but he is a football manager - it was our board. Without the Turners they are a depleted and defeated bunch of aging has-beens (and I''m not being ageist - honest!). There ar so few of them - Delia, Michael, Michael Foulger, Munby - and the lot that are drawing handsome salaries. They may not get any more people with money to join them at present - but they desparately need an injection of ideas and enthusiasm. There were a few good speakers from the floor last night - co-opt some onto the board Delia, even temporarily - to inject ideas, reality and a little football knowhow; PLEASE![/quote]

Good point - you don''t need to own shares in the club to be on the Board.  They need to quickly find some people (not lap dogs like Doomcaster) PDQ to join the Board with real business skills who can steer the good old ship NCFC into clamer waters - but preferably not a pink un message board contributor! 

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

lol... he should of responded back... "I must of missed yours too.... but I do remember you being rather p!ss poor at Watford, Burnley and Newcastle... things seem to be following a similar pattern here don''t they Mr Roeder???"  [:D]

[/quote]Except he did have some time working with england as a coach i believe...   don''t let that get in the way though smudge.Tbh if someone openly question what i''m doing in my job then i''d respond in a similar manner, the question is rather rude, as is the answer. fair play all around.

[quote user="Polar"]
Tbh if someone openly question what i''m doing in my job then i''d respond in a similar manner, the question is rather rude, as is the answer. fair play all around.
[/quote]

Not if it was part of ypour job to answer those questions though Polar. This was the clubs AGM and he is there to answer questions from the people who own part of the club. As I said in my post, deep down I think most Shareholders realise that what they say to the board and the manager will go in one ear and out the other. But they should be shown at least the same amount of respect as they show the board / manager in their questions.

Having said that, although he made a few enemies last nigh amongst the shareholders, he is the football manager and he will ultimately be judged by the performances of his team. I would forgive him that performance for a top 6 finish, or even a top half finish.

I couldn''t care less if the supposed reason Roeder was so bloody objectionable last night was because "he had balls". It had nothing to do with that and came down to the fact that the guy, as a human being, was downright rude, UNBELIEVABLY arrogant and to be honest behaved like a bit of a knob. It wasn''t like he only got rude towards the end after maybe being worn down by having to answer most of the question, he was a right sarcy mare from the off.

Yes he was Heffers, and to those who think the sun shines from places it shouldn''t - take a long look at the table. If the man did have any balls, he would have faced the questions and maintained his dignity (as to be fair did Delia when she was questioned).

He was arrogant even before a question was asked. The man is a liability and yes, he saved us from relegation, but only just. Since then it''s been a catalogue of disasters....Darren Huckerby, Joe Lewis, failure to get in a striker, playing people out of position, slamming players in the press.....remarks about fans......

And we are still at the bottom half of the table.

Evil Monkey, I trust you were there and enjoyed the show.

To be fair to everyone who didn''t go last night, not one of the questions deserved the manner of response he gave. He is just an arrogant man who is always right, obviously. Even before the first question he took a pop at the press, think it was the EDP for their headline "A Grilling for Delia?". That was a completely unprovoked comment. He then went on to say we were the most transparent club he had ever worked at and was obviously the newest member of Delia''s personal fan club.....she must fed them well eh?

Fans being negative? What a joke, what has he done this season (he saved us JUST last year) for us to be optimistic about? Most of the players aren''t even ours, so where does that now leave us in January - we don''t have any money to buy anyone. He''s presuming we will be able to do a similar series of loan deals as in the summer I suspect. What in the time he''s been here (and of course going further back) have we had to be positive about?

Club in massive debt

Board without a clue - and at last admitting it!

Constant failure as a football team

Watching clubs smaller than us, with less money than us enjoying a higher position in the table than us

And that''s just for starters.

Of course he''s determined to do the job in hand, if he doesn''t he''s out and unlikely to fall on his feet at a very undemanding club again.

The backroom problems may not have affected the players, but you can bet that attitude has. Not everyone shines their brightest when bullied.

As for your last comment, there were plenty of questions aimed at the board - after all it was an AGM where the Directors and Manager are required to answer questions. It''s not every week, poor things and they are after all, well rewarded.

Fickle.....yes, I thought he was an excellent choice when he was appointed, and we have seen some lovely football. For brief periods, sadly blips in a sea of discontentment amongst the media blunders, the whole Huckerby thing that refuses to go away, Neil Adams, not knowing what his best team is.....

I really wanted it to work, but it hasn''t. We are no further forward under his tenure. What he said last night to shareholders was simply unforgivable. I guess some of you might think it doesn''t matter if he gets results and gives us success. But it''s not happening, and sadly for me I can''t see it doing so.

Roeder was a PR disaster for the Club at the AGM. In the early stages the Board members looked very uncomfortable with his attitude. Something which has not been mentioned before was that one member of the audience reminded him that he was speaking to adult shareholders not his players. A few questions were a bit longwinded but they were presented in a reasoned view and there was no personal attacks etc. Many members upon asking their question started off by saying "dissullusioned" from Costessey etc.Roeder did not seem to accept or realise many in the audience are as well versed in football tactics etc as he is. One of his classic comments was to mention how in the recent Arsenal/Man U game all the players got forward and back very quickly depending upon the flow of the game. This is one of the biggest weaknesses with our game and yet he appears to do nothing about it.

He clearly lacks charisma and frankly his management/motivation skills need improvement If he speaks to his players in the same tone as he spoke last night I can''t see how he can get the best out of anyone. I wonder if Cullum backed out because amongst other things he can see the next problem will be a "Roeder issue".

There was a wonderful enlightened and disciplined turnout last night who clearly had the Club''s best interests at heart. Sadly the Club''s representatives lost a golden opportunity to assure anyone that they had any positive plans to go forward with.

So then, twenty four hours on and I remain as bamboozled, entertained and downright depressed as I did when we left last nights meeting.

Glen, oh dear that really was not a good idea was it?  Fair enough he must have been feeling pretty wound up at the likely level of criticism coming his way but what it says more than anything is its easy to see why he falls out with players if he treats the supporters like that,  Daren who? 

What a PR disaster for the current incumbents, last nights gathering was very much the Loyal 500 and it really isn’t a good idea to go flying off the handle at some of the poor old boy who dared to ask a question.  

For what its worth we (Bury Yellows) thought he was absolutely hilarious and marvelled at the size of hole opening up before him and watching Honest Rog otherwise known as Mr Chairman trying to keep the peace. Rog mate, it would have been better to have left them to get on with it, you could have sacked him for gross misconduct and have saved yourselves a packet. 

Still moving on, the most outstanding thing from last night and I still can’t quite fathom what is really going on his the whole “Cullum v Smith” campaign, to say there were mixed message is an understatement. 

On one hand we were told there had never been an offer, but there was, it was to put money into the club but in turn they would have had to have given Cullum their shares.  This as we know happened about a year ago after she said she would happily give her shares away of the right person came along. 

So despite being told there had been no offer we were then told that Doomcaster had phoned Smith & Jones about this time last year when Cullum first got in touch and went to their house to discuss the offer.  Or depending on whether you believe £20m on players constitutes and offer? And ignoring what she said at the previous AGM. 

Irrespective of Doomcaster driving down to discuss this non offer we were then told they received conformation from Cullum that he would not be pursuing his interest, but Delia & Mike, you told us there had never been an offer so what the ---- was he writing to you for? 

Clearly there is far more to all this than we will ever likely know but one thing is sure, they have been hoist by their own petard, the Turners were their escape clause but for what ever reason this went sour.  In my opinion they were simply being to greedy for Cullum who has gone away to wait and see what Harris can extract from elsewhere, if he does then all well and good but of not the numbers involved will be significantly reduced as and when he does return.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[quote user="old yellow bird"]OK, I''ll come out of the closet - I''m a Guardian reader. But every Norwich fan would do well to read today''s edition - the Sports section starts with the headline "I will struggle to sell Everton, admits Harris". The man who was named as having the faith and hopes of our board at last night''s AGM has his hands full. A big inside spread looks in more detail at the man with our future in his hands. Right at the end there is a one-liner -"many Championship clubs are losing money". Mr Harris has his hands full with Everton and Newcastle - I don''t think we rate very high on his list! To me the most shocking thing last night wasn''t Roeder''s so called rudeness - OK the man is abrasive and arrogant, but he is a football manager - it was our board. Without the Turners they are a depleted and defeated bunch of aging has-beens (and I''m not being ageist - honest!). There ar so few of them - Delia, Michael, Michael Foulger, Munby - and the lot that are drawing handsome salaries. They may not get any more people with money to join them at present - but they desparately need an injection of ideas and enthusiasm. There were a few good speakers from the floor last night - co-opt some onto the board Delia, even temporarily - to inject ideas, reality and a little football knowhow; PLEASE![/quote]

Good point - you don''t need to own shares in the club to be on the Board.  They need to quickly find some people (not lap dogs like Doomcaster) PDQ to join the Board with real business skills who can steer the good old ship NCFC into clamer waters - but preferably not a pink un message board contributor! 

[/quote]

I think we already had two, called Mr & Mrs Turner, who were shaking things up big time behind the scenes, but probably over stepped the mark as far as certain people were concerned (D&M and ND?) and that''s why they left because their efforts weren''t being appreciated? Just a thought, perhaps a cynical one, but you have to wonder why the radio silence over their departure?