Sign in to follow this  
king canary

OT- Man U Fans

What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them!

[quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]Try sitting in a room full of Norfolk Chelsea "fans" (I use the inverted commas as most of them believe the club was founded by Roman Abramovich) - give me Norfolk Man U fans any day.And don''t start me on Norfolk Liverpool fans (most of whom started supporting them in the early 1980s when they were winning everything and now whine and complain as if they are somehow still relevant.)

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]

Try sitting in a room full of Norfolk Chelsea "fans" (I use the inverted commas as most of them believe the club was founded by Roman Abramovich) - give me Norfolk Man U fans any day.
And don''t start me on Norfolk Liverpool fans (most of whom started supporting them in the early 1980s when they were winning everything and now whine and complain as if they are somehow still relevant.)
[/quote]

just started uni in Brum and EVERYONE is a man u fan!!! I even met a girl from Norwich! so obviously I asked her if she was a fan oh Norwich - but nope, she was a man u fan! Still, she''s a woman, you cant expect her to know much about football ;)

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]

Try sitting in a room full of Norfolk Chelsea "fans" (I use the inverted commas as most of them believe the club was founded by Roman Abramovich) - give me Norfolk Man U fans any day.
And don''t start me on Norfolk Liverpool fans (most of whom started supporting them in the early 1980s when they were winning everything and now whine and complain as if they are somehow still relevant.)
[/quote]

I think it is probably made worse by the fact they were all American. I know some American fans who are very clued up on ''soccer'' but these guys were not. It always raises a smile though to hear of a Man U fan complain that the refs are against them.

[quote user="king canary"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]Try sitting in a room full of Norfolk Chelsea "fans" (I use the inverted commas as most of them believe the club was founded by Roman Abramovich) - give me Norfolk Man U fans any day.And don''t start me on Norfolk Liverpool fans (most of whom started supporting them in the early 1980s when they were winning everything and now whine and complain as if they are somehow still relevant.)[/quote]

I think it is probably made worse by the fact they were all American.

[/quote]Oh sweet Jesus Christ, now I understand. Someone should tell one of our transatlantic cousins that chanting "U-S-A!" over and over again only makes them sound like a bunch of arrogant morons.  It''s as if their economy wasn''t imploding before our eyes.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh sweet Jesus Christ, now I understand.
Someone should tell one of our transatlantic cousins that chanting "U-S-A!" over and over again only makes them sound like a bunch of arrogant morons.  It''s as if their economy wasn''t imploding before our eyes.

[/quote]

Oh dear I expect Houston Canary to be on here any second telling us the economy is fine and America is perfect.....

It was just the strange whooping everytime someone went on a run, regardless of any kind of end product, someone should tell them you dont get anything for ''yards rushed'' like in NFL. But one thing they do have in common with all Man U fans is that when any decision goes against them it is wrong. If you saw the game there was a great block by Alex with his body and even after the rplay some were still calling handball!

[quote user="Chesterfield Canary"]

[/quote]

just started uni in Brum and EVERYONE is a man u fan!!! I even met a girl from Norwich! so obviously I asked her if she was a fan oh Norwich - but nope, she was a man u fan! Still, she''s a woman, you cant expect her to know much about football ;)

[/quote]

Not all Women Like Footy For The Lads..

at uni absolutely everybody is a Man Utd fan, yet i don''t know any utd fans from Manchester, the 3 people from Manchester i do know are Stockport fans.

i know what you mean about being in a bar full of plastic Utd fans, the arrogance really winds me up

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

at uni absolutely everybody is a Man Utd fan, yet i don''t know any utd fans from Manchester, the 3 people from Manchester i do know are Stockport fans.

i know what you mean about being in a bar full of plastic Utd fans, the arrogance really winds me up

[/quote]

There are so many at UEA but then there is hardly anyone from the north there... suspicious.

[quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]Agree with the sentiment, but the same could be said for any "plastic" fans of any team.OK, if you have a connection to the city of the team you support, then fair enough - maybe you spent some of your formative years growing up there, your parents come from there, or even if you went to uni there and didn''t get into football until then.But people who just pick a team which they have no connnection at all with (usually based on their success at the time) are only just above scummers in the food chain in my opinion.My parents both hail from Manchester, but I was born here. Luckily not being football fans particularly they didn''t indoctrinate me and when I got to an age where football interested me it was the most natural thing to support the team in the city I was born in and live in.It would have been a glory hunting cop-out to support Man U or even Man City (which my dad says true Manchester fans should support....Old Trafford isn''t even in Manchester!) but at least I''d have had an excuse. Got my first City replica kit around the age of 5, never looked back."WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM!"

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]

Agree with the sentiment, but the same could be said for any "plastic" fans of any team.
OK, if you have a connection to the city of the team you support, then fair enough - maybe you spent some of your formative years growing up there, your parents come from there, or even if you went to uni there and didn''t get into football until then.
But people who just pick a team which they have no connnection at all with (usually based on their success at the time) are only just above scummers in the food chain in my opinion.

My parents both hail from Manchester, but I was born here. Luckily not being football fans particularly they didn''t indoctrinate me and when I got to an age where football interested me it was the most natural thing to support the team in the city I was born in and live in.
It would have been a glory hunting cop-out to support Man U or even Man City (which my dad says true Manchester fans should support....Old Trafford isn''t even in Manchester!) but at least I''d have had an excuse.
Got my first City replica kit around the age of 5, never looked back.

"WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM!"
[/quote]

I know but for some reason plastic man u fans are worse to me. THere were a fair few plastic chelsea fans but for some reason the man u fans bug me even more. Maybe its cos I have a ''mate'' who is such a smug git whenever they win despite having never been to ''The Theatre of Dreams.'' They are followed in closely by Liverpool fans who think ''its there year'' Tottenham fans who think they will break into the big four and Newcastle fans who think their connection to their club is so much more special than anyone elses.

I have never understood the Irish obsession with Manchester Uniyed.  It predates Best though he has something to do with it.

I''ve asked my Man Utd supporting Irish relatives.   They''be no idea.   It''s just something they all do instinctively like drink and dance.

[quote user="king canary"]I think its just cos there are ferrys that used to dock at liverpool and some at manchester I think.[/quote]

That explains some of the support but not the nationwide obsession.  There is anoyjrt club in Manchester; two clubs in both Liverpool and |Glascow where there are substantial Irish communities but United get a vast disproportionate Irish support

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]

Agree with the sentiment, but the same could be said for any "plastic" fans of any team.
OK, if you have a connection to the city of the team you support, then fair enough - maybe you spent some of your formative years growing up there, your parents come from there, or even if you went to uni there and didn''t get into football until then.
But people who just pick a team which they have no connnection at all with (usually based on their success at the time) are only just above scummers in the food chain in my opinion.

My parents both hail from Manchester, but I was born here. Luckily not being football fans particularly they didn''t indoctrinate me and when I got to an age where football interested me it was the most natural thing to support the team in the city I was born in and live in.
It would have been a glory hunting cop-out to support Man U or even Man City (which my dad says true Manchester fans should support....Old Trafford isn''t even in Manchester!) but at least I''d have had an excuse.
Got my first City replica kit around the age of 5, never looked back.

"WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM!"
[/quote]

I agree with MR, I hold scum fans in much higher regard than these pathetic idiots!!

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh sweet Jesus Christ, now I understand.
Someone should tell one of our transatlantic cousins that chanting "U-S-A!" over and over again only makes them sound like a bunch of arrogant morons.  It''s as if their economy wasn''t imploding before our eyes.

[/quote]

Oh dear I expect Houston Canary to be on here any second telling us the economy is fine and America is perfect.....

[/quote]

trust me, all is not well this side of the pond, job losses and people losing there homes, not its not well, even if Houston tells you it is ( i really cant see him saying all is well)

[quote user="bloodwagon"]

trust me, all is not well this side of the pond, job losses and people losing there homes, not its not well, even if Houston tells you it is ( i really cant see him saying all is well)

[/quote]You don''t know him very well, do you? [:D]

I know Bloodwagon I''m in Philly as we speak and its obvious all is not well. But at least you all own an insurance company now!

But Houston does tell us all that your medical system is perfect and fox news is balanced so i wouldnt put it past him.

I suppose American Man U fans are no different. English ones though are. It was just these guys had no clue about the game they were watching, but pretended like they did. And plus I really hate Man U.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Are the plastic Man U fans any more plastic than the Norwich fans who post comments on here about their favortie NFL teams?[/quote]

Yes I think they''re different because if you''re English and wish to follow that sport (which I don''t) then the chances are you don''t have a local team to support. So it''s not really the same at all in my opinion. 

champions league final whole pub full of utd fans (well followers non of them cared) and one chelsea fan, i hate manutd and my mate leeds so he does. so their was 3 of us supporting chelsea, boy didnt i cheer when lamps scored . in shootout i couldnt believe utd fans were more worried about getting a final pint in at the bar than watching first pens. when ronaldo missed it was class, but best moment was a.cole pen as utd fans thought it was saved but i jumped in shouting my mouth off as usual. when it jt missed i walked out the pub i knew what was coming and the gloating to follow so i walked out and missed the rest!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Are the plastic Man U fans any more plastic than the Norwich fans who post comments on here about their favortie NFL teams?[/quote]

i went across to see giants v patriots last year (week 17) and supported them 2 years before that, wouldnt call my self die hard fan as i like about 16teams and hate about 16teams, but they my favourite team.

Local spurs fans are the worst! Purely because they actually think they support a good team instead of boring midtable no hopers.

jas :)

"Houston Canary"-Are the plastic Man U fans any more plastic than the Norwich fans who post comments on here about their favortie NFL teams?

Yes I think they''re different because if you''re English and wish to follow that sport (which I don''t) then the chances are you don''t have a local team to support. So it''s not really the same at all in my opinion. 

That makes no sense at all.  There are only 32 NFL teams, so most Americans who follow the game don''t have a local team.  There are maybe 20 MLS teams, so even fewer Americans have a local soccer team to follow.

The obvious (to me) reason Man U has more American supporters than, say Dagenham, is that they get a whole heck of a lot more exposure here (and everywhere else on Planet Earth) than most other teams, and as such are the most familiar team to foreigners.  As Clarice says in Silence of the Lambs, "we covet what we are familiar with," or words to that effect.

English NFL fans are as plastic as it gets.  It is trendy to be involved in something American, I know. AT the same time, it is trendy to be extra critical of things American.  However, based on comments I''ve seen on the message board re: NFL, it seems most of you really have no idea what you''re talking about, so the plasticity of ENglish NLF fans is no less than that of American Man U fans.  Before you wet your pants and short out the computer, I am saying BOTH sides are plastic.

Well what makes me laugh is in Northampton, everyone there supports whoever they want...regardless of connection. I know a liverpool fan actually from liverpool but then my housemates support Arsenal and Man Utd despite being from Hampshire and Northants respectively.

At the Man U and Liverpool game last year, my housemate and I went to our local to watch the game, it was around 60/40 in favour of United, one cocky lad who behaved like Liam Gallacher kept complaining to us about these fake Man U supporters from Northants before stating he was a Liverpool fan...from Wellingborough in Northamptonshire. The only thing he had going for him was joining me in my dislike for Dirk Kuyt, and that tickled me further!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

"Houston Canary"-Are the plastic Man U fans any more plastic than the Norwich fans who post comments on here about their favortie NFL teams?

That makes no sense at all.  There are only 32 NFL teams, so most Americans who follow the game don''t have a local team.  There are maybe 20 MLS teams, so even fewer Americans have a local soccer team to follow.

The obvious (to me) reason Man U has more American supporters than, say Dagenham, is that they get a whole heck of a lot more exposure here (and everywhere else on Planet Earth) than most other teams, and as such are the most familiar team to foreigners.  As Clarice says in Silence of the Lambs, "we covet what we are familiar with," or words to that effect.

English NFL fans are as plastic as it gets.  It is trendy to be involved in something American, I know. AT the same time, it is trendy to be extra critical of things American.  However, based on comments I''ve seen on the message board re: NFL, it seems most of you really have no idea what you''re talking about, so the plasticity of ENglish NLF fans is no less than that of American Man U fans.  Before you wet your pants and short out the computer, I am saying BOTH sides are plastic.

[/quote]

Very possibly. Just a conciliatory answer about something I couldn''t really give a toss about. [:)]  

Very possibly. Just a conciliatory answer about something I couldn''t really give a toss about. Smile [:)] -  M P

Then why bother commenting at all?  Oh, I know, let me get another quote from above!

it is trendy to be extra critical of things American. - H C

Way to show your colors!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Very possibly. Just a conciliatory answer about something I couldn''t really give a toss about. Smile [:)] -  M P

Then why bother commenting at all?  Oh, I know, let me get another quote from above!

it is trendy to be extra critical of things American. - H C

Way to show your colors!

[/quote]

Okay, let me clarify. I was initially commenting about glory hunting fans supporting whoever is doing best when they take an interest in a sport.

I thought that maybe some of the points about this were relevant to what you said about English NFL fans; i.e. perhaps some of them didn''t immediately choose the most succesful team but had other reasons for picking their team. I then read your post and thought ''yeah, you''re right really, I don''t know or care enough about American football to know whether I''m right in this or not''. Hence the answer that you have chosen to take offence at. Simple enough for ya?