Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Should Adults Expect Their Toys To Be Paid For By Others?

My life is not perfect but I try to focus on all the things I have to thankful for. This is not difficult given what some of my fellow human beings around the globe have to endure in their daily lives. Far too many in the world still have to focus on whether they will have enough food the next day in order to ensure their survival. Most of us in our parts of the world have no such difficulty. We have more than enough to feed ourselves with money left over to provide us with the "toys" in life.

One of my toys is to play golf, which I love for a lot of reasons. Another is to pay for premium cable so that I can watch my beloved game of football from England and other countries. These are my responsilities to pay for. Sometimes my golf game is not so great, on infrequent occasions some of my playing partners display lack of anger management on the course. There are also days when the weather does not cooperate after starting the round. Some of the football games I watch are dull, while others are filled with excitement. Regardless, I accept the ups and downs along with the costs of "my toys" and, if I reach the point where I am dissatisfied with my choices, then there are lots of other pursuits I can choose to follow.

Like most of you, I am disappointed that NCFC are not yet where we would like them to be. However, one of the things that most disappoints me about my fellow Norwich fans posting on this forum is when their words suggest that their "toys" should be subsidized by someone else''s money almost as an entitlement. I mostly abhor the negativity thrown at Delia and Michael because they are running the club under its own steam power financially. I see some of the frustrated comments that Ipswich can afford to buy Ameobi where Norwich cannot. I wonder how the small business merchants who lost their money in the last Ipswich financial meltdown feel about the matter. The fury, on the part of some, in believing that Peter Cullum''s money should be courted so it can be spent on high quality "toys". Not all posters are cut from the same cloth, but there are more than enough that just want their football club to move to a higher level, irrespective of whose money is used to fund it. I understand when I see the young posting such comments. I am most disappointed when it''s the older fans calling for someone else''s money to pay for their toys. Yes, I know, for those of you that buy your season ticket you feel you''ve already done your bit, but you''ve done it at Championship cost. There will be up seasons and down seasons and, for the past three, you''ve been paying for a down cycle. But you had the choice. You still do. That''s your right. What is not your right is to expect that someone else will pay for what you want. It is your right to hope that a hard-nosed business person takes the reins at Carrow Road, and pushes the club to greater heights. However, it would be foolhardy to believe that this will be accomplished without those more expensive toys putting a big dent in your own pocket. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

My life is not perfect but I try to focus on all the things I have to thankful for. This is not difficult given what some of my fellow human beings around the globe have to endure in their daily lives. Far too many in the world still have to focus on whether they will have enough food the next day in order to ensure their survival. Most of us in our parts of the world have no such difficulty. We have more than enough to feed ourselves with money left over to provide us with the "toys" in life.

One of my toys is to play golf, which I love for a lot of reasons. Another is to pay for premium cable so that I can watch my beloved game of football from England and other countries. These are my responsilities to pay for. Sometimes my golf game is not so great, on infrequent occasions some of my playing partners display lack of anger management on the course. There are also days when the weather does not cooperate after starting the round. Some of the football games I watch are dull, while others are filled with excitement. Regardless, I accept the ups and downs along with the costs of "my toys" and, if I reach the point where I am dissatisfied with my choices, then there are lots of other pursuits I can choose to follow.

Like most of you, I am disappointed that NCFC are not yet where we would like them to be. However, one of the things that most disappoints me about my fellow Norwich fans posting on this forum is when their words suggest that their "toys" should be subsidized by someone else''s money almost as an entitlement. I mostly abhor the negativity thrown at Delia and Michael because they are running the club under its own steam power financially. I see some of the frustrated comments that Ipswich can afford to buy Ameobi where Norwich cannot. I wonder how the small business merchants who lost their money in the last Ipswich financial meltdown feel about the matter. The fury, on the part of some, in believing that Peter Cullum''s money should be courted so it can be spent on high quality "toys". Not all posters are cut from the same cloth, but there are more than enough that just want their football club to move to a higher level, irrespective of whose money is used to fund it. I understand when I see the young posting such comments. I am most disappointed when it''s the older fans calling for someone else''s money to pay for their toys. Yes, I know, for those of you that buy your season ticket you feel you''ve already done your bit, but you''ve done it at Championship cost. There will be up seasons and down seasons and, for the past three, you''ve been paying for a down cycle. But you had the choice. You still do. That''s your right. What is not your right is to expect that someone else will pay for what you want. It is your right to hope that a hard-nosed business person takes the reins at Carrow Road, and pushes the club to greater heights. However, it would be foolhardy to believe that this will be accomplished without those more expensive toys putting a big dent in your own pocket. 

[/quote]

Agreed - it''s very easy to spend someone else''s money isn''t it?

[/quote]It is all part and parcel of owning a football club nowadays, don''t agree with it but so many other clubs have wealthy owners bankrolling them and you just fall further behind if you haven''t got one. If you own a football club and don''t want to put any more of your money in then that is your choice, but surely if there''s someone far wealthier who is prepared to spend his money for the good of the club then it''s a no brainer that you should do whatever it takes to strike a deal with him.

[/quote]

[Y] Very good post, it''s alwys easy to spend someone elses money...

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]It is all part and parcel of owning a football club nowadays, don''t agree with it but so many other clubs have wealthy owners bankrolling them and you just fall further behind if you haven''t got one. If you own a football club and don''t want to put any more of your money in then that is your choice, but surely if there''s someone far wealthier who is prepared to spend his money for the good of the club then it''s a no brainer that you should do whatever it takes to strike a deal with him.

[/quote]

Perhaps, but then again there still has to be someone who offers to buy the club...

[/quote]Sorry that''s a pile of tosh.  Using the metaphor of ''toy'' for NCFC, something you pay for for your own entertainment is nonsence IMO.  If it was solely a ''toy'' and nothing else then we''d all be supporting Manure or Chelski.  NCFC is more than that for most fans, it''s a religion, it''s life and death and above all reall it''s a flippin'' business which Doncaster gets paid 175k to run.But what about fans who get enjoyment out of this ''toy'' who don''t actually pay to watch? They get a freebie off the radio, are they to be banned from using the ''toy'' or their opinion concerning the ''toy'' be instantly discredited... tricky one that.The bottom line is, NCFC is an entertainment business with a loyal base of fans on differing levels.  Which needs good management and investment etc etc.  Which like other businesses get hand outs from investers and other means. Take the Olympics how many sports within that has had Lottery hand outs on the bases that someone has shouted out for it cos they wanted it.As for The Global food supply and health that''s purely down to your personal social conscience and World Politics.

A rare moment of sanity (I mean for the message board, not you YC [:)]). It''s also worth pointing out that Cullum stated explicitly that he wouldn''t bankroll the club without limits. He clearly had an amount in mind to invest and didn''t want to exceed that. Of course, once he''s committed there could always be another 10-20% if he felt it was warranted, but he''s not going to be another Ambramovich.

There is a big difference between expecting or demanding something and turning that thing down when it is offered to you on a plate.

We dont want another Abramovich just somebody to buy us one or two players that dont come from the freebie bucket and to be able to stop getting all these useless loans in .Delia Smith cannot provide a football team time for her to f--k off and the quicker the better .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]We dont want another Abramovich just somebody to buy us one or two players that dont come from the freebie bucket and to be able to stop getting all these useless loans in .Delia Smith cannot provide a football team time for her to f--k off and the quicker the better .
[/quote]

To be replaced by what?  Take your head out of the clouds and realise that if she was to "clear off" Cullum is not willing to step in and nor is anybody else. Cullum has done nothing other than stir up hatred amongst fans after raising their hopes and inferring blame on the current board. 

[quote user="Dicky"]

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]We dont want another Abramovich just somebody to buy us one or two players that dont come from the freebie bucket and to be able to stop getting all these useless loans in .Delia Smith cannot provide a football team time for her to f--k off and the quicker the better .
[/quote]

To be replaced by what?  Take your head out of the clouds and realise that if she was to "clear off" Cullum is not willing to step in and nor is anybody else. Cullum has done nothing other than stir up hatred amongst fans after raising their hopes and inferring blame on the current board. 

[/quote]

OMG  [:|]

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is no point in arguing anymore Dicky, some people have concocted a story that suits them and they are sticking to it regardless of what anyone says...

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jesus wept. Talk about taking denial to a whole new level...

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]There is a big difference between expecting or demanding something and turning that thing down when it is offered to you on a plate.[/quote]

Let''s not go down that road again Mr. Carrow. The only thing we know for sure is that "plate" was what was printed in a newspaper, and the only thing that''s worth holding is a bag of chips. However, even if it wasn''t, it simply demonstates how easily some can get excited over a few big numbers being thrown around to give some misguided fans the sense they are about to get something for nothing.

If people really do believe that Cullums approach was a malicious attempt to destabilise the club with no substance to it then they really are beyond reasoning.

This is a successful, respected, City-supporting businessman we are talking about here, not some Eastern European cowboy.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

If people really do believe that Cullums approach was a malicious attempt to destabilise the club with no substance to it then they really are beyond reasoning.

This is a successful, respected, City-supporting businessman we are talking about here, not some Eastern European cowboy.

[/quote]

I doubt many people do believe that Mr Carrow.

Maybe about as many as believe this:-

Loan City Fc wrote:

Cullum would step in the only thing stopping him is the crook that is lining her own bank account on the back of this club

[quote user="ricardo"]

You''ve overlooked the fact that it''s not our toy, Yankee.

It''s Delia''s.

[/quote]

Ah, but she''s letting you play with it every week, if you choose to Ricardo, at a price. Do you want a bigger and better toy and, if so, how much are you willing to pay for it?

How about you Mr. Carrow....instead of taking the thread off track back to your favourite subject, how much more are you willing to pay to get Norwich back to the promised land? Or would you rather Mr. Cullum ( or Ms X ) pays for it out of his pocket?

I''m not sure anybody is suggesting that Cullum''s approach was only about maliciously destabilising the club, but as you say, Cullum is a highly successful businessman, who by all accounts has become so successful by taking over a multitude of companies. (Was it Cam who said he is known as the deal-junkie''s junkie?) Perhaps he has always been nicer-than-nice, but in my (limited) experience, successful businessmen are generally not sentimental, nice people. I don''t know why this would differ because we''re talking about a football club, rather than the finance industry.So perhaps Cullum saw an opportunity to drive down the club to his own valuation - and went to the press in order to hinder Roeder''s rebuilding - reducing our success this season, and lowering the value of the club. Or perhaps he was effectively told to "get lost" by the board, either because Delia doesn''t want to let go, and he is a successful fan who was just turned down by our controlling board.I expect the truth lies somewhere between both of these scenarios. The only "facts" we actually know is that he did not make a formal offer for the shares, and that he volunteered his information to the press. The reasons for this are open to speculation, but in the meantime, there is no doubt the club has suffered even more because of this episode.

[quote user="DonnysDoom"]Well maybe we should just take Delias toy off her and chase her away just like we did Robert Chase[/quote]

Do you have a plan?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]There is a big difference between expecting or demanding something and turning that thing down when it is offered to you on a plate.[/quote]

These are cheap words Mr Carrow.

The reality is that D&M have loaned the Club somewhere north of £8M over the years (most of which probably hasn''t been directed purely towards footballing activities) which have now been converted from debt to equity. If PC wants a majority shareholding then he has to make a sensible offer for it.

You are now suggesting that just because PC has suggested he is willing to "offer" £20M towards the team that D&M should accept it whatever conditions he''s attached to his offer?

[quote user="DonnysDoom"]Well maybe we should just take Delias toy off her and chase her away just like we did Robert Chase[/quote]

Do you have a plan?

[/quote]

If things don''t go the way some fans want no doubt there will be plans afoot, of that I personally have no doubt.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Do you have a plan?

[/quote]

If things don''t go the way some fans want no doubt there will be plans afoot, of that I personally have no doubt.

[/quote]

Let''s hope the plan has financial backing then.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Do you have a plan?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let''s hope the plan has financial backing then.

[/quote]

lol like the one we have at the moment, god we are rolling in it, smell the money [:S][:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Do you have a plan?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Like Mr. Carrow, WAY49, you are either missing or deliberately avoiding the point of this thread. It is not about how to "chase Delia out" ( forgive the play on words ) but whether fans expect us to rise back to Premiership level by buying top level players on someone else''s back, or indeed, whether you are willing to accept a significant hike in the cost of attending games to go after the same. What''s your opinion on this?