Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

How much did Delia pay for hee 42% stake? £700,000

There are two types of shares - ordinary shares which have voting rights which have not been receiving dividends in practice and preference shares which have no voting tights but have been receiving dividends. The ordinary voting shares own anc control the business.

The thing is that you cannot simply consider the initial 42% outlay without the other investment from Delia into the club, both through further share purchases, loans, donations and the like. All of these serve to drive up the value of the club and subsequently the value of her holding, by ignoring these your questions are assuming that she only made a £700,000 purchase back in 1997 and is now trying to cash in.

As for your statement that she wants money regardless of purchase price I do wonder your position had the club fallen in value from her purchase - I doubt you would hold the position that she should still receive that amount per share?

2/5 is still 40%, so I graduate from the Worst Wizard academy for very silly logic with a 3rd. Fantastic.

Delia''s & MWJ''s investment in the club

£k.             Â£k.
B Preference shares
- 3,025 @ £100 each                                                                                       302.5

Ordinary Shares
02/03 season 77,990 @ £25 each                                           1949.75
03/04 season 8,000 @ £25 each                                               200.0
06/07 season
- loan converted @ £25 each                                                   817.6
06/07 season
- new money @£25 each                                                          270.1           3237.5

New money into the club £3540k

Ordinary shares bought from
Geoffrey Watling
(** note - assumed figure) £1000k ???

06/07 season
- 31/5/07 holding 327,509 (page 13)
31/5/06 holding 281,550 (page 13)
difference 45,959
club issued 43,508
(note 33 page 41)
so I have assumed that Delia & MWJ
acquired 2,451 from others at say £25 each £61.3k

Assumed investment in Ordinary shares £4301k

Investment in B Preference shares £0.3m.

As at 31/5/07 Delia''s & MWJ''s holdings of Ordinary shares was 327,509
If valued at £30 per Ordinary share, those holdings would be valued at £9.8m.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if the purchase from G. Watling was around £700k then the assumed investment in Ordinary shares is £4m.

If valued at £30 per Ordinary share, those holdings would be valued at £9.8m

Over 100% growth on investment in 10 years not bad considering the debt has trebled and Mr Chases crown jewels all sold.

Not to mention the fact that no significant investment has been made in the squad over the period they have been in charge.

surely the property crash will lead to write downs in the value of the clubs assets, and then the clubs share price???  but, i guess if the directors and shareholders have valued and voted for the shares to be £30 each - then thats the price whatever - even if the clubs balance sheet doesn''t support it...but then even MP''s and captains of industry always seem to vote for big pay rises, perks, pension increases and bonuses for themselves, while leaving the rest of us to flounder in the s@@t!!!but, if the share price related directly to the clubs ability/prospects on the pitch,  it wouldn''t be worth much now would it???

Whilst I am a small shareholder I do not have my most recent set of accounts to hand but it would be interesting to know exactly the clubs assets are baring in mind the level of debt at around 20 Million (16 million Loan plus 4 Million directors loans)

I cant imagine Carrow Rd and Colney are worth 36 Million (shareholding plus debt) and our current squad are probably worth next to nothing

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

£k.             Â£k.
B Preference shares
- 3,025 @ £100 each                                                                                       302.5

Ordinary Shares
02/03 season 77,990 @ £25 each                                           1949.75
03/04 season 8,000 @ £25 each                                               200.0
06/07 season
- loan converted @ £25 each                                                   817.6
06/07 season
- new money @£25 each                                                          270.1           3237.5

Geoffrey Watling

06/07 season
difference 45,959
club issued 43,508
(note 33 page 41)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if the purchase from G. Watling was around £700k then the assumed investment in Ordinary shares is £4m.

[/quote]

So can we confidently state that Delia and MWJ have put £4m into the club but now want £9m+ for their stake?  Nice work if you can get it......

[quote user="Tickers"]Actually closer than you think CJF, from an article in the independent from 2002: ===================================== The couple invested pounds 1m in 1996 to bail out Norwich and take seats on the board. Two years later, they upped their investment to about pounds 3.5m, buying 61 per cent control. "We knew we''d never see the money again, so we asked each other if there was anything we''d rather do with it. And we said no, Norwich was the greatest passion of our lives and we wanted to help." Further loans and share conversions have since taken their spending to pounds 7m. Delia has taken over the catering, which includes her two signature restaurants, executive boxes, function rooms, supporters'' clubs and general kiosk grub, which last year made the club about pounds 700,000. ===================================== So a £7 million investment as of 2002, a simple inflation increase would send that to the region of £8-£9 million easily enough (assuming the value of the club only rose with inflation - this is before we went up to the Premier League). One also has to wonder about the value of her input in the catering side of things - how much would it cost to have a celebrity chef come in and oversee the catering at a business? Now you can take issue with her statement that they would never see the money again - perhaps this is a fair accusation, or perhaps it indicated that back in 2002 she did not see herself ever stepping down from Norwich City. We should also recognise that Cullum is worth £1.7 billion, and for him to repay Delia''s investment (which is a fairly hefty fraction of her overall worth) would be incredibly easy for him to do.[/quote]

Just thought I would point out this quote seeing as no one seems to have brought it up yet!

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Canary Nut you seem to have access to the clubs accounts any idea of the asset value ?[/quote]

I''ll get back to you on this asap.

[/quote]

.......as Canary Nut types fast and furiously into Wikipedia, Rumours.com or the classified section of the Daily Mirror seeking any morsel, true or not, that can be used in the "fast fading into oblivion" Delia Out campaign.  

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Norfolk Chance"]

So if you bought a house for £40,000 in 1985, did up the garden and the bathroom, put on a conservatory, you''d be happy to sell it now to someone else for nothing when the same house next door is going for £240,000?

I struggle to see what your point is....

[/quote]
Just that Delia is no benefactor, she never did throw that money on a bonfire, and Delia will make a profit on her time at NCFC.
[/quote]

She sure will....and after the many years of piously extolling her virtuous tenure at Carrow Road it all leaves us with an unpleasant smell of bullsh*t. It''s fair to say that she fooled most of the people most of the time...and unfortunately fooled most of the gullible on here all of the time......

She cashed in by stealing the soul of Norwich City F.C....but I''m afraid such a crime can only be appreciated by those who equate the City of Norwich, the County of Norfolk and Norwich City Football Club as one and the same. A simple "Club fan" will never understand such deeply personal thinking without the history to go with it.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Norfolk Chance"]

So if you bought a house for £40,000 in 1985, did up the garden and the bathroom, put on a conservatory, you''d be happy to sell it now to someone else for nothing when the same house next door is going for £240,000?

[/quote]
Just that Delia is no benefactor, she never did throw that money on a bonfire, and Delia will make a profit on her time at NCFC.
[/quote]

She sure will....and after the many years of piously extolling her virtuous tenure at Carrow Road it all leaves us with an unpleasant smell of bullsh*t. It''s fair to say that she fooled most of the people most of the time...and unfortunately fooled most of the gullible on here all of the time......

She cashed in by stealing the soul of Norwich City F.C....but I''m afraid such a crime can only be appreciated by those who equate the City of Norwich, the County of Norfolk and Norwich City Football Club as one and the same. A simple "Club fan" will never understand such deeply personal thinking without the history to go with it.

[/quote]

"She cashed in by stealing the soul of Norwich City F.C" - Could you just expand on that statement? I don''t understand it. I do consider NCFC as an intrinsic part of my identity, coming from Norwich and being a Norfolk man. I''m not sure how this is incompatible with Delia''s tenure?

Not having a go, just asking for a bit more of an explanation.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Canary Nut"]

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Canary Nut you seem to have access to the clubs accounts any idea of the asset value ?[/quote]

[/quote]

.......as Canary Nut types fast and furiously into Wikipedia, Rumours.com or the classified section of the Daily Mirror seeking any morsel, true or not, that can be used in the "fast fading into oblivion" Delia Out campaign.  

[/quote]

Hey Yankee Canary whats wrong with someone presenting the facts (derived from NCFC Plc Annual Reports) on how much Delia and her husband have invested in NCFC Plc.?

At least I am not posting drivel to the standard of your post above.  :)

Hey Evil Monkey, where''s the drivel in the following?

£k.             Â£k.
B Preference shares

Ordinary Shares
06/07 season
06/07 season

Geoffrey Watling

06/07 season
difference 45,959
club issued 43,508
(note 33 page 41)

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

the "fast fading into oblivion" Delia Out campaign.  

[/quote]

I was merely stating the facts of how much Delia and her husband have invested because people have asked for the information.

The letters page of the Norwich Evening News give me the impression that people are waiting to see what sort of start to the season we have before deciding what to do regarding any Delia Out campaign.  Moreover I think the season depends on the quality of our forwards.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

the "fast fading into oblivion" Delia Out campaign.  

[/quote]

I was merely stating the facts of how much Delia and her husband have invested because people have asked for the information.

The letters page of the Norwich Evening News give me the impression that people are waiting to see what sort of start to the season we have before deciding what to do regarding any Delia Out campaign.  Moreover I think the season depends on the quality of our forwards.

[/quote]

For alot of posters on here, facts get in the way of a happy delusion so best ignored or denied.  So it seems lovely old philanthropic Aunt Deals only wants a 100%+ return on her investment to quit the club.  "The good of the club comes first" my a**e.

[quote user="Chrisr"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Norfolk Chance"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

"She cashed in by stealing the soul of Norwich City F.C" - Could you just expand on that statement? I don''t understand it. I do consider NCFC as an intrinsic part of my identity, coming from Norwich and being a Norfolk man. I''m not sure how this is incompatible with Delia''s tenure?

Not having a go, just asking for a bit more of an explanation.

[/quote]

Have a go by all means.....[;)]

If you don''t already feel it Chrisr...you ain''t got it. The soul of the club is that invisible thing that transcends all materialism. Norwich City Football Club used to belong to Norwich and the wider County...but now it is owned by a fading celebrity for her own self-gratification.

Delia''s little Norwich is sadly now how NCFC is known nationwide...and it will only bother those of us who feel it.

CN have you done an IRR on 61% of 16m versus what they have out in, in terms of shares?

and it would transcend all materialism if someone worth 1.7bn purchased the club - have you considered yoga, a few candles, incense, budhism that kind of thing rather than a football club in the 21st century???

[quote user="T"]and it would transcend all materialism if someone worth 1.7bn purchased the club - have you considered yoga, a few candles, incense, budhism that kind of thing rather than a football club in the 21st century???[/quote]

Oh dear.....  

Try a herbal suppository T....or rather than waste nature''s gifts...try a malteser instead.

Philistine........

Well that if your cup of tea - not my sort of thing personally but thanks for the recommendation....

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

If you don''t already feel it Chrisr...you ain''t got it. The soul of the club is that invisible thing that transcends all materialism. Norwich City Football Club used to belong to Norwich and the wider County...

[/quote]

When was this - the 1940''s, 1950''s, 1960''s? Pre-Chase? Pre-Arthur South?

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

Delia''s little Norwich is sadly now how NCFC is known nationwide...and it will only bother those of us who feel it.

[/quote]

....Just because you feel it    doesn''t mean it''s there....

in the words of Radiohead

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Canary Nut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Canary Nut is a shareholder of NCFC who also happens to be a chartered management accountant with an MBA from one of the UK''s leading business schools.

What qualifies you, Yankee Doodle Dandy, to rubbish his analysis?   

I think most of you may be missing the bleedin'' obvious:      1) She doesn''t want to sell      2) She doesn''t need to sell      3) Then why the bloody Hell should she sell.