Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Training Camp ! is it wise ? ? ? ? ? ?

Considering the subsequent results effect of their away day/week jaunt to Spain last year is it wise to repeat the experience again? 

(albeit in Devon).

Once bitten twice shy I would think !

night life is one thing Devon does have.

i hate this place.

Norwich > PlymouthNorfolk > Devon

Just heard they will be doing a 30 mile run across dartmoor with rucksacks on their backs full of bricks.

Fair enough that they should go on a training camp, but shouldn''t the priority be making sure we have a team capable of actually scoring a goal, in time for the first friendly games?

Probably a good idea to get the team away from all that is happening (hopefully) behind the scenes at FCR ,makes you wonder how long this has been arranged.Having said that ,I dare say to take a full squad would prove more beneficial.

We will never know whether it is wise or not. Similarly with the Spain trip last year, nobody can say that we would have done better if we hadn''t gone. It''s all just speculation.

I thought that Colney was a state of the art training facility, why do we feel the need to spend thousands on going to Devon of all places, when the weather is as bad there as it is here, we are told, or not as this year, that we have no money, why are we wasting it/giving it to Nigel Mansel???

After thought-

Would GR''s time not be better spent up here in Norfolk trying to get the players we desperately need, and showing them OUR facilities rather than Nigels?

[quote user="Dan"]Just heard they will be doing a 30 mile run across dartmoor with rucksacks on their backs full of bricks.[/quote]

Where did you hear that?  I think someone''s been making up stories for you

It''s just when Roeder was asked about the week of training he said; "There''s no more cross-countries and long-distance running which we now realise, on the sports science side of things, wasn''t doing us any good whatsoever". 

Many clubs spend a week or two at the start of per season at training camps. I''d imagine atm they are doing very little ball work and the emphasis will be on hard physical work as this is the best time to get that done. The aim of a training camp is to get away from the rigours of day to day life and hopefully bond the squad and boost morale for the season ahead.

[quote user="dhickl"]

[quote user="Dan"]Just heard they will be doing a 30 mile run across dartmoor with rucksacks on their backs full of bricks.[/quote]

It''s just when Roeder was asked about the week of training he said; "There''s no more cross-countries and long-distance running which we now realise,  wasn''t doing us any good whatsoever". 

[/quote]

Hmm, try telling that one to Ron Saunders Glen ! It certainly worked for him, there were no non-triers in his day !

I understand that Glenn has organised an orienteering exercise to get the squad to bond and work together. Unfortunately, there''s only one compass (due to restricted finances). Glenn doesn''t see this as a problem, as the four of them should be able to gather round the compass and get their bearings. And he also reckons that they''ll all squeeze into a double sleeping bag and fit into a 4 man tent.....Cosy.

[quote user="dhickl"]

Where did you hear that?  I think someone''s been making up stories for you

It''s just when Roeder was asked about the week of training he said; "There''s no more cross-countries and long-distance running which we now realise, on the sports science side of things, wasn''t doing us any good whatsoever". 

[/quote]

Oh dear!

Check again who posted the original message, then view some of his other posts..........

lol LGT I said that to my better half just now, poor old NC players, all that hard work on the golf courses, the spa and in the state of the art gym, how awful, the suffering must be unbearable [:)]

Yes they did start earlier than us, so one would think they are slightly ahead of us fitness wise.

Lots of clubs use Woodbury - mostly Premier League I think.  I''m pretty certain that West Ham have in the past and perhaps that is where GR got the idea from! It doesn''t come cheap as I understand.

[quote user="camuldonum"]Lots of clubs use Woodbury - mostly Premier League I think.  I''m pretty certain that West Ham have in the past and perhaps that is where GR got the idea from! It doesn''t come cheap as I understand.[/quote]maybe we''re getting it cheap cos the owner is ole mates with delia - or cos of the credit crunch - buy 1 room - get 1 free!><

[quote user="camuldonum"]Lots of clubs use Woodbury - mostly Premier League I think.  I''m pretty certain that West Ham have in the past and perhaps that is where GR got the idea from! It doesn''t come cheap as I understand.[/quote]

I bet it doesn''t Cam, you can tell that because they don''t advertise the prices on the website.  lol it does make me laugh though that we can''t afford real decent players yet the club can afford to send players to this place, amazing [:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="camuldonum"]Lots of clubs use Woodbury - mostly Premier League I think.  I''m pretty certain that West Ham have in the past and perhaps that is where GR got the idea from! It doesn''t come cheap as I understand.[/quote]

I bet it doesn''t Cam, you can tell that because they don''t advertise the prices on the website.  lol it does make me laugh though that we can''t afford real decent players yet the club can afford to send players to this place, amazing [:D]

[/quote]yeah agree there WAY - admire roedy for his ''big club mentality''  as he says, we''ve got a prem set-up and facilities-but always stops short when it comes to his budget, and can we really afford this><?

Yes, I think that is always the giveaway as well.  Perhaps Mr Cullum is funding it!  Look on the bright side.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

yeah agree there WAY - admire roedy for his ''big club mentality''  as he says, we''ve got a prem set-up and facilities-but always stops short when it comes to his budget, and can we really afford this><?
[/quote]

Hmmmm that''s the big question isn''t it?  Can the Club afford it?  But like Cam has said maybe PC is funding it [:S]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

My heart bleeds, check out this link

Country Hotel, Golf Club, Wedding Venue, Spa - Woodbury Park, Devon, UK

[/quote]

Wow ! ,well spotted, if I had seen this before starting this thread I would have put a different slant on it. Like "are we really poor ?"

For instant the minimum price is from £125 pppn (probably 1st week in Feb) about 200 quid this time of year, times that by seven = fourteen hundred quid a week per person.

Multiply by at least a party of thirty including players,backroomstaff ,coaches,managment. £1400*30 = £42000. Add to that traveling (probably plane,Flybe), plus any additional treatment (facials, massages hair tints). Wow again. And dare I say probably the WAGS, shush Jim ! ! !

And to think they could have done it all at Colney for fifteen Quid !