Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

History Lesson

Delia Smith and MWJ became majority shareholders in 1997-98.

The club finished 15th in the Championship and the average attendance was 14,445.

Last season the team finished 16th - one place worse than in 1997-98 but the average crowd was 24,527 - more than 10,000 higher.

Delia and Co have done a brilliant job to achieve that. They can''t do much about what happens on the pitch other than appoint/sack managers and give them a competitive budget.

I''m stunned by the lack of respect shown towards Delia and Co. on this forum. They are fans too so why can''t everyone be polite about them and show some respect?

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

The club finished 15th in the Championship and the average attendance was 14,445.

Last season the team finished 16th - one place worse than in 1997-98 but the average crowd was 24,527 - more than 10,000 higher.

Delia and Co have done a brilliant job to achieve that. They can''t do much about what happens on the pitch other than appoint/sack managers and give them a competitive budget.

I''m stunned by the lack of respect shown towards Delia and Co. on this forum. They are fans too so why can''t everyone be polite about them and show some respect?

[/quote]

There''s much to praise them for but I can''t agree that they have done a brilliant job. Your own post clearly shows that. However, I do believe that they saved this club from going bust and I do most definitely agree that they deserve respect.

[/quote]

Pretty much spot on in my opinion, they have made arguably one, possibly two mistakes, one (arguably) sacking Worthington, too late and the second appointing Grant. But they couldn''t have forseen the calamity that was going to happen under Grant. The football club has really grown in the past ten years.

"They can''t do much about what happens on the pitch other than appoint/sack managers and give them a competitive budget."Isn''t that their job description in a nutshell?Roeder, no probs up to nowCompetitive budget?  anyones guess?????

[/quote]

Lets be fair to them. They have done there best but now everything has gone stale. It is time for them to move over and let someone else hold the reigns!

We have never had a competitive budget not even the 2 seasons we had the £7 million parachute payments , we are no better off as a team than when they took over and the sooner the have packed up and gone the better.

No one is every beyond criticism. Yes some people do go to far in that but to say they no one should ask questions of the current board is silly. If no one said anything it is very likely that things would continue to trundle along and the steady decline in performances etc would probably continue. With regards to the attendance, I believe its still high due to our success between 2002 - 2005. I would include the season in the Prem as a success as the attendances were obviously higher than they perhaps would have been. Not to say the on pitch goings on were a success except for a few occasions. The majority of the extra 10,000 will have been bitten by the bug and despite the poor form are very unwilling to give up their seats as they know that should it all start going well they may not get it back again.With the current possible take over I hope they don''t kick up too much of a fuss. Not to say they shouldn''t hold out and get a good deal for them but to let this uncertainty continue to hang over the club would not be wise. If they stay on they will have to clean up the mess and it would take a lot. If Cullum does take over then I should imagine he''d like to be able to come in a get down to business quickly rather than sorting out things that didn''t necessarily have to appear if things had gone through more smoothly.

You are completely wrong.

Take season 05/06 as an example.

The average Championship club had a revenue of £13m and spent 60% of it on wages (7.8m).

NCFC revenue was £24m and spent 62.5% of that on wages (£15m)

Therefore, the NCFC Board provided a very high budget for wages.

Delia & Co have run the club very well and provided funds for a good playing budget.

The average Championship club had a revenue of £13m and spent 60% of it on wages (7.8m).

Delia & Co have run the club very well and provided funds for a good playing budget.

[/quote]We had Parachute Payments that season.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]
 17th
[/quote]

55 points both times though...

My main grip is in having ANYBODY (including Mr Cullum) owning more than 24.9% of the shares as I think dilution would make the club''s affairs far more accountable and not potentially reliant on a single decision maker at a strategic level. Delia is an easy target and many individuals simply seem to wait for an opportunity to rubbish anything she has done rather than trying to analyse things objectively. I am ambivalent towards her, but I really don''t like the club being run as a dictatorship regardless of who that person might be.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]
We had Parachute Payments that season.
[/quote]

Yep, and most of it was spent on players wages so providing an excellent budget to the management.

[/quote]

Restore all tables to their upright positions and adopt the bracing position. This is going to be bumpy.

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]We have never had a competitive budget not even the 2 seasons we had the £7 million parachute payments , we are no better off as a team than when they took over and the sooner the have packed up and gone the better.[/quote]I think we spent well when we went up - it was defenitely competative. I also think quite a lot of money was made available to Grant last summer. What I do find rather odd is that people slate Worthington but after promotion he was rarely given funds to really improve the team.As for "most people" knowing Grant would not do to well, they are the same people that always say we wont do to well, the Smudgers and Blybly''s etc. Grant did as good a job as Worthington did in the initial "rescuing" mission. The bringing in of players is where it let him down and in all fairness I think a lot of that was down to the players themselves. Chris Brown has since proven he can be more than a bit part player, Brellier didn''t live up to the reputation that preceeded him, Strihavka was never given a go and perhaps he was never ready for a run . . . .

[/quote]

Oh give me strength.  You''re having a laugh, you must be. 

It''s not just about bums on seats, it''s about progress on the field of play.  We were underachieving then and we''re underachieving now, in spite of the increased revenue from gate receipts.  Bloody great.

What the hell does it matter if we pack the place out if the board can''t/won''t invest enough in the team for us to punch our weight?

[:@]

[/quote]

Where are you getting your figures from?  Something posted on here from one of the national papers a few months ago showed we were well below average in terms of percentage of turnover spent on wages in this league.  By the way, the percentage of turnover spent on PLAYER wages in 05/06 was 31% compared with 48% the year we were promoted.  Since promotion player wages as a percentage of turnover have been massively lower than before we went up.